Why is Holmes so much better than Edwards

MarylandJetsFan

I joined this forum, basically just to rip the re-signing of Santonio Holmes.

5 years 50 million!???!

That is an AWFUL contract for a good, but not great WR with off the field issues. The worst part of that contract is that it was backloaded to fit Nnamdi, and his cap hit will be huge next season.

Would it have been more prudent to sign Edwards at half the price? I think most talent evaluators would take Holmes over Edwards, but based on what I saw last year they had equal impact in the offense.

5 years 50 million!???!

That is an AWFUL contract for a good, but not great WR with off the field issues. The worst part of that contract is that it was backloaded to fit Nnamdi, and his cap hit will be huge next season.

Would it have been more prudent to sign Edwards at half the price? I think most talent evaluators would take Holmes over Edwards, but based on what I saw last year they had equal impact in the offense.

from what i hear, edwards is asking for the same contract as holmes. dont think he would have signed for "half the price"

5 years 50 million!???!

Well, I would say welcome to Jetnation, but your purpose isnt to be part of a cool spot but to rip a Jet players contract...which is cool. You say that Holmes isnt great, which is fair for you to say but he did win games for us last year, he has in the past as a Steeler too. MVP in the biggest game of his life says alot.

Now, my problem isnt you agreeing/disagreeing with the money in the contract, but do you REALLY think Bray would have signed for half the price? If he would have he still wouldnt be a free agent because if it wasnt us who signed him one of the other teams would have.

You sound like you have a preference towards Edwards, and as a fan I can understand that. But Tanny is a business man and so is Woody. You talk about off the field issues with Santonio yet Holmes hasnt been in trouble since coming to the Jets....cant say that for Edwards can you?

Dont get me wrong. I want Bray here but the bottomline is that he's not. I honestly believe that once Bray goes through this preseason and realize that people are not falling over to sign him he'll humble himself and see that he's worn out his welcome with his shananigans. If we can sign him to another 1 year deal so he can put himself on display to either get an extension from us next year or hit free agency that'll be a good look. Bottomline is that Braylon isnt worth the money not because of talent, but because of being a knucklehead at times.

Well, I would say welcome to Jetnation, but your purpose isnt to be part of a cool spot but to rip a Jet players contract...which is cool. You say that Holmes isnt great, which is fair for you to say but he did win games for us last year, he has in the past as a Steeler too. MVP in the biggest game of his life says alot.

Now, my problem isnt you agreeing/disagreeing with the money in the contract, but do you REALLY think Bray would have signed for half the price? If he would have he still wouldnt be a free agent because if it wasnt us who signed him one of the other teams would have.

You sound like you have a preference towards Edwards, and as a fan I can understand that. But Tanny is a business man and so is Woody. You talk about off the field issues with Santonio yet Holmes hasnt been in trouble since coming to the Jets....cant say that for Edwards can you?

Dont get me wrong. I want Bray here but the bottomline is that he's not. I honestly believe that once Bray goes through this preseason and realize that people are not falling over to sign him he'll humble himself and see that he's worn out his welcome with his shananigans. If we can sign him to another 1 year deal so he can put himself on display to either get an extension from us next year or hit free agency that'll be a good look. Bottomline is that Braylon isnt worth the money not because of talent, but because of being a knucklehead at times.

Wow, that was the nicest GFY post I've ever read.

5 years 50 million!???!

The contract is back loaded for big cap hits in 2014 and 15, 2014 is the year the NFL will get a new TV deal, and the year the Sunday Ticket will be available to all cable systems and satelite, not just directv, so the cap is estimated to go through the roof those years hence the back loading.

5 years 50 million!???!

Welcome to last week. This has been discussed to death.

They had equal impact, with holmes playing 4 less games. So Holmes was actually better. I would have liked Edwards, but his off the field issues are far worse than Holmes' and we don't even know the full story. Holmes could have gotten more money elsewhere but he chose to stay. He could have demanded more money but he didn't. He's worth it. Sanchez to Holmes will be a catch phrase by the end of the season. They have good chemistry already and are going to tear it up this year.

5 years 50 million!???!

Hey Maryland,

Seems like Bray and his peeps got into some sh*t at a bar "allegedly".

What were you saying about Santonio? lol.

Braylon is a head case, that's why he is gone. If he never had those concentration problems and all of his legal problems we would never have had a chance at him and he would have been considered much better than Holmes. But as the old saying goes...if the Queen had balls...

Braylon makes some plays but Santonio is a gamechanger. Holmes is fast as hell and runs precise routes. Braylon also has some legal issues hanging over his head.

Braylon had 7 TDs and a 17 yard average (last year)

Santonio had 6 TDs and a 14 yead average (last year)

They both had their share of Big plays - neither was any where near the elite level in over all stats or big plays.

When it comes to each players best season Braylons was head and shoulders better than Santonios 11 TD differential is huge. Other than those 2 years neither player did anything special averaging in the 8-900 yards range and 5-8 TDs .

Braylon 1289 16.1 16 TD

Santonio 1248 15.8 5 TD

When it comes to career stats Braylons are slightly better.

When it comes to size and all around ability Braylon is a better blocker by far and Appears to be tougher over the middle.

I think both WR's should have been in the 7-8 mil range when it comes to salary. Anyone who thinks 10 mil per is justified is just not looking at the facts when it comes to both players.

Now all that being said Braylons next offense gets him 4 games off ... Santonios gets him an entire year off. Both have done some real stupid things which should make you question the 10 mil per even more.

When it comes to Santonio being a game changer, he gained a rep from his fantastic SB MVP game. He had a few nice plays for us last year.... but a consistent game changer ?? Be serious.... a game changer is a Randy Moss at that age or a Desean Jackson. Santonio needs to be much more consistent before he gets labled a game changer because if your going to give him that label then you also have to give the same lable to Braylon since Braylon had some huge plays in last years playoffs vs both the Pats and the Colts.

Nothing puts these players so far apart that one should be making 10 mil and the other gatting 6 or 7. The Jets got nervous with The Redskins hovering around and they over paid, its that simple. Santonio Jumped on the deal in a heartbeat.... ever wonder why ?

Now I hope we do sign Braylon to a one or two year deal because I think he would make our offense a threat in the red zone with 2 huge WR's to throw too and santonio as well. The Jets would be very hard to deal with if we can make this happen.

Braylon had 7 TDs and a 17 yard average (last year)

Santonio had 6 TDs and a 14 yead average (last year)

They both had their share of Big plays - neither was any where near the elite level in over all stats or big plays.

When it comes to each players best season Braylons was head and shoulders better than Santonios 11 TD differential is huge. Other than those 2 years neither player did anything special averaging in the 8-900 yards range and 5-8 TDs .

Braylon 1289 16.1 16 TD

Santonio 1248 15.8 5 TD

When it comes to career stats Braylons are slightly better.

When it comes to size and all around ability Braylon is a better blocker by far and Appears to be tougher over the middle.

I think both WR's should have been in the 7-8 mil range when it comes to salary. Anyone who thinks 10 mil per is justified is just not looking at the facts when it comes to both players.

Now all that being said Braylons next offense gets him 4 games off ... Santonios gets him an entire year off. Both have done some real stupid things which should make you question the 10 mil per even more.

When it comes to Santonio being a game changer he gained a rep from his fantastic SB MVP game he had a few nice plays for us last year but a consistent game changer ?? Be serious a game changer is a Randy Moss at that age or a Desean Jackson. Santonio needs to be much more consisten before he gets labled a game changer because if your going to give him that label then you also have to give the same lable to Braylon since Braylon had some huge plays in last years playoffs vs both the Pats and the Colts.

Nothing puts these players so far apart that one should be making 10 mil and the other gatting 6 or 7. The Jets got nervous with The Redskins hovering around and they over paid its that simple. Santonio Jumped on the deal in a heartbeat ever wonder why ?

Now I hope we do sign Braylon to a one or two year deal because I think he would make our offense a threat in the red zone with 2 huge WR's to throw too and santonio as well. The Jets would be very hard to deal with if we can make this happen.

Good post. I would love for Holmes supporters to explain this for once, in terms of actual, REAL stats. This has been going back and forth for awhile now and yet the only thing you hear is ooooh Santonio is a playmaker. Are we really paying him 10m/per because he caught a touchdown in the Superbowl? Come on.

Good post. I would love for Holmes supporters to explain this for once, in terms of actual, REAL stats. This has been going back and forth for awhile now and yet the only thing you hear is ooooh Santonio is a playmaker. Are we really paying him 10m/per because he caught a touchdown in the Superbowl? Come on.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/16133/santonio-holmes

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/15773/braylon-edwards

Its all about the Super Bowl MVP. I like both WR's but people tend to get a bit over blown that Santonio is just head and shoulders better than Braylon and thats what sets me off. Then they bring up off the field issues which is another bad comparison because they both have had issues (Braylon the Idiot seems to be heading down a bad path lately however). Then they bring up playmaking yet Braylon has more over all TD's and was our bigger clutch performer in last years playoffs. Im just pointing out the difference is slight and that I think we over paid for Holmes.

The only reason I wanted Braylon over Holmes is because at the time he was our only Big target. Now we have Plax and the word is the guy is in Excellent shape but hes 34 so if the Jets are looking to sign Braylon to a one year deal like I said they should try 4 days ago. Imagine the possibilities of having 2 big targets. Just Imagine how sh*tty can **** up that dream situation :)

You can rip the contract Tone got all you want but the fact remains that since B.E. got to NY he has had a DUI, crashed a car at 3AM and now he has this latest bar brawl incident.

He is a time bomb.

Holmes on the other hand seems to have come to realize he needs to keep himself out of bad situations. No late night stories at all since he got to NY.

Archived