Jerricho to Mehta: If he (Derrick Mason) passes physical, he's here and I'm not

nj meadowlands

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading Cotcherys quotes it seems this is almost mutual, he seems disappointed in his new role as 3rd fiddle and also seems uncomfortable with the direction the team has taken, like the bold talk and swagger going on.

Just what I take from his quotes could be wrong.

This would be the worst move we've seen out of Tanny since taking over the Jets. All this "but Cothery sucked last year" is a bunch of sh*t. So the guy had a bad season. God for-*******-bid somebody has an off year. The guy has been playing below market value for the past several seasons and hasn't bitched ONCE! Class act. Plays hard, and he's younger than the antique they want to replace him with. Are they going out and getting a bunch of guys on 1 year deals to free up a ton of money to make a run at Ngata next year?

If the Jets FO does end up taking a sh*t on Cotchery, I expect him to sign with NE and spend a few years killing the Jets.

With the exception of the last clause, I completely agree with you.

This is totally irrelevant Pac and you know it. Most starters in the NFL are set for life financially if they have half a brain. Dont hold something that pertains to damn near very player in the league against Cotch. This guy has been a great Jet and played as tough as nails. if hes seriously hurt and can no longer perform thats one thing and very understandable but if he can play and were basicly pushing him aside for a guy like Mason whos 37 years old something is dreadfully wrong.

How is it irrelevant? Guys were playing violins for him and I threw in some perspective.

Guys are cut, traded, retire etc every year. I like Cotch as a player but I don't see how he's been "wronged" here. Mason is a wylie vet that will provide a nice option for Mark in the slot. It is what it is.

I actually agree with you on this, and don't think Mason independently is a bad pickup. I would just like to see even the slightest bit of effort made from the front office to put a WR corps together that Sanchez can get comfortable with. It's no coincidence in his two seasons, Sanchez's mid-season turn down the sh*tter has come at exactly the same moment his WR corps was changed and was then at his best once he finally started getting comfortable again come playoff time. Granted we're not talking another week 5 starting lineup change, but giving Sanchez a month to get used to an entirely new WR corps with the exception of ONE player is not going to help his cause.

That's fine... I wasn't countering the continuity argument, but the claims that Jerricho Cotchery is a far superior option to a guy who has been one of the most consistent receivers in the game for over a decade.

Derrick Mason is apparently a sucky 37yo WR, yet PFF rated him as the 6th best receiver from 2008-2010.

The guy's yearly average for his age 34-36 seasons was 71 catches for 956 yards and 6 TD's with a 13.4 YPR. That's better production than Cotchery's last 3 healthy years, in his age 25-27 seasons. Now he's a 29yo coming off back surgery and an overall terrible season.

I'm not saying that he's going to be a savior or even an upgrade, but if Mason sucks as badly as some of you claim, what does that say for Cotchery? It never ceases to amaze me when grown men can't suppress their inner fanboy.

But Visa says he sucks, so it must be true.

I'm more on page with BG on this one...I'd just rather see the WR continuity more than anything else.

Mason is a baller though and is better than Cotch.

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

#Jets Jerricho Cotchery tells me: "It's time to move on." #nyj

#Jets Jerricho Cotchery is a realist re: Derrick Mason: Tells me: "If he passes the physical, he's on the team and I won't be." #nyj

In case u were wondering, Jerricho Cotchery tells me taking a paycut isn't going to happen: "I've made sacrifices (for team in past)." #nyj

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas

Cotchery said he expects to be released from Jets. Not a trade, he said, because teams don't know if he's healthy. #nyj

Should have thanked you before my previous post. Thanks DLJ.

Cotchery is one of my favorites. Just reminds you that when they are done with you they cast you asside like an empty beer bottle. That's why I do not mind when players try to get as much money as they can.

What pisses me off the most is that the NYJETS are supposed to be upgrading this team to be able to win an AFC Championship game. Derrick Mason is not an upgrade by any means. Last years WRs Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery-Smith this years projected Holmes-Plax-Mason--???

Sanchez developed a rythym with Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery for what was supposed to be a run first team last season, many games he was a gun slinger. You cant keep bringing in slugs to replace these guys.

What pisses me off the most is that the NYJETS are supposed to be upgrading this team to be able to win an AFC Championship game. Derrick Mason is not an upgrade by any means. Last years WRs Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery-Smith this years projected Holmes-Plax-Mason--???

Sanchez developed a rythym with Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery for what was supposed to be a run first team last season, many games he was a gun slinger. You cant keep bringing in slugs to replace these guys.

2010 Season:

Cotchery

41 REC 433 Yd 10.6 AVG 2 TD 119 YAC

Derrick Mason

61 REC 802 Yd 13.1 AVG 7 TD 131 YAC

Get a clue.

Sanchez didn't develop jack sh-t. He sucked for a better part of the year. Good QB's play well regardless of who's playing WR. Rivers, Brees, Brady, Manning have all played lights out with a hell of a lot less talent than we have for WR's.

Mark needs to play better.. that's it.

I don't get the whole "The Jets are scumbags" thing if they decide to release an injured player. New England does it every year-where are the "The Pats are meanies" threads for them cutting Ty Warren? This is a business decision. Cotchery is coming off his worse year where he had 10 drops and add in back surgery and you guys want us to keep him and his 3 million dollar salary out of some loyalty? Not me, get me a healthy and reliable receiver-I'll take my chances there instead on a guy who we can't even say will be off the PUP list anytime soon-if at all

2010 Season:

Cotchery

41 REC 433 Yd 10.6 AVG 2 TD 119 YAC

Derrick Mason

61 REC 802 Yd 13.1 AVG 7 TD 131 YAC

Get a clue.

Have a clue. Can you honestly tell me a WR corps of Holmes-Plax -Mason is better than Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery.

Those stats on Cotchery arent bad considering you line up in a run first offense next to Holmes and Edwards. Mason only had Boldin to compete with. Who needs to get a clue now?

Read the whole thread, my conclusion is VisaJets is a no nothing. It doesn't take long to check the stats and see that Mason has 8 career 80 catch seasons to Cotch's 2, Mason has 8 career 1,000 yard seasons to Cotch's 1 and that Mason had a much better year last year and all of the recent years than Cotch to realize this is a short term upgrade. It also buys time for Kerly and Mrs. Sanchez to learn their crafts and contribute down the road.

Have a clue. Can you honestly tell me a WR corps of Holmes-Plax -Mason is better than Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery.

Those stats on Cotchery arent bad considering you line up in a run first offense next to Holmes and Edwards. Mason only had Boldin to compete with. Who needs to get a clue now?

I can honestly tell you that if you think that Edwards would be the No. 1 WR in that lineup, you're crazy.

I can also honestly tell you that comparing Holmes-Plax-Mason to Holmes-Edwards-Cotchery is downright idiotic as a way of supporting an argument that Cotchery is better than Mason. The only real question is whether you would prefer Holmes-Plax-Mason or Holmes-Plax-Cotchery.

OK, Mrs. Edwards?

(Seriously, I'm a big fan of Braylon, but at this point I almost want him to sign somewhere else and tear a ligament in his first practice so Visa will just shut the f up about him already).

Read the whole thread, my conclusion is VisaJets is a no nothing. It doesn't take long to check the stats and see that Mason has 8 career 80 catch seasons to Cotch's 2, Mason has 8 career 1,000 yard seasons to Cotch's 1 and that Mason had a much better year last year and all of the recent years than Cotch to realize this is a short term upgrade. It also buys time for Kerly and Mrs. Sanchez to learn their crafts and contribute down the road.

No nothing? Its know nothing. and its visajets. :rolleyes:

Sanchez didn't develop jack sh-t. He sucked for a better part of the year. Good QB's play well regardless of who's playing WR. Rivers, Brees, Brady, Manning have all played lights out with a hell of a lot less talent than we have for WR's.

Mark needs to play better.. that's it.

I don't disagree that Sanchez needs to play better, but there's no question that a little consistency at WR could help him out. The fact is the guy is not Rivers, Brees, Brady or Manning and may very well never be. Granted that doesn't mean he should need all star WRs around him to succeed, but is it really coincidence in back to back years his play went down the sh*tter at the same time as the change of his WR lineup? As I said earlier in the thread, I don't think Mason is a bad player and don't have an issue with bringing him overall, but just trying to help Sanchez out with some consistency would be nice, particularly since with Burress and Mason as 2 of your top 3 receivers, you're pretty much guaranteeing another WR corps overhaul next year again.

didnt they have hosheyormama as well? thought i remember that when i picked my ff roster...

Archived