Patriots sign Andre Carter

Jetsfan80

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/andre-carter-says-hes-joining-new-england-patriots/2011/08/08/gIQAB4tB2I_blog.html

Andre Carter says he’s joining New England Patriots

By Cindy Boren

Albert Haynesworth is about to see a familiar face in Foxborough. Andre Carter, most recently a defensive end with the Washington Redskins, will join Haynesworth in New England. Carter, a free agent, tweeted the news Sunday night.

I am proud to announce that I will be playing for the New England Patriots for the 2011 season. Thanks you for your prayers and support.less than a minute ago via Echofon Favorite Retweet ReplyAndre Carter

mr_carter99

Afterward, he added, via Twitter: “Time to hit the books. On to my playbook.”

Carter, 32, had 11 sacks for the Redskins in 2009. A classic 4-3 defensive end, Carter moved to left outside linebacker when the Redskins switched to a 3-4 last year and had 2.5 sacks, starting five games. Carter, who played five seasons for the 49ers and five for the Redskins, hasn’t missed a game since 2004 and had 36 sacks from 2005 through 2009.

The Patriots are on a something of a defensive-line spree. They picked up Shaun Ellis on Sunday and Mark Anderson last week. They join Haynesworth, Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Eric Moore, Jermaine Cunningham, Rob Ninkovich and Marques Murrell.

Well if there was any question about whether or not the Patriots were moving back to a 4-3, that should about do it. Probably not a bad decision for them in all honesty. And not even getting into the Ellis thing, I still get a little sad every time I'm reminded that Murrell is a Pat. He was one of the Jets' young guys I really liked as a future prospect.

Well if there was any question about whether or not the Patriots were moving back to a 4-3, that should about do it. Probably not a bad decision for them in all honesty. And not even getting into the Ellis thing, I still get a little sad every time I'm reminded that Murrell is a Pat. He was one of the Jets' young guys I really liked as a future prospect.

I guess switching to a 4-3 is the Pats way of trying to solve their pass-rush woes. Which is why Ellis is a little surprising considering he's better suited and has previously played better in a 3-4, not a 4-3.

I guess switching to a 4-3 is the Pats way of trying to solve their pass-rush woes. Which is why Ellis is a little surprising considering he's better suited and has previously played better in a 3-4, not a 4-3.

Meh, he was a stud in both systems. He want to the pro bowl as a DE in both systems.

I highly doubt the Pats are going to completely do away with their 3-4 set. I'm sure they'll be deploying both D's. Which is why the Ellis signing makes sense. He can play both very well.

I wonder if Mayo can even play MLB. He gets pushed around as it is in the 3-4. Unless Haynesworth is vintage Haynesworth and taking up two blockers, you'll be able to run all over that defense. Weird move. Also, does that make Spikes an OLB now?

I wonder if Mayo can even play MLB. He gets pushed around as it is in the 3-4. Unless Haynesworth is vintage Haynesworth and taking up two blockers, you'll be able to run all over that defense. Weird move. Also, does that make Spikes an OLB now?

Good questions...all I kno is, they havent really done anything to get faster on D. They are still slow as sh*t and havent really gotten any younger.

Meh, he was a stud in both systems. He want to the pro bowl as a DE in both systems.

I highly doubt the Pats are going to completely do away with their 3-4 set. I'm sure they'll be deploying both D's. Which is why the Ellis signing makes sense. He can play both very well.

But Haynesworth was very adamant about playing in a 3-4 in Washington. How will that change in NE?

While it's been a few years, as JiF said Ellis was a hell of a talent in the 4-3, putting up a few 10+ sack seasons, despite being in Herm's "Cover Who". Not to say he still has that in him, but he's more than capable of playing DE in both systems. I also agree that they're probably still going to use both packages, but it certainly looks like they're building themselves up to be using the 4-3 as their base D more often than not. We saw them start to do that at times last year, so it shouldn't be overly surprising.

This.

The Pats defense was miserable on third down last season - shoot, the season before too. Belichick is trying to fix that.

I've read that they have Mayo playing outside in their 4-3

Seems like a waste for that guy. And does that make Spikes an every down LB'er? I sure hope so

Mayo IS the MLB/mike in the 3-4 and was the league leader in tackles last season. He's one of the Patriots' best defenders. They only have three D players you would consider pretty darn good: Wilfork, Mayo, McCourty. I'm hoping to add that azz Haynesworth to the list.

Good questions...all I kno is, they havent really done anything to get faster on D. They are still slow as sh*t and havent really gotten any younger.

They were plenty young after they got rid of Seymour and that didn't work out that well. Looks like age isn't important anymore. And honestly they had a lot more success when that defense had veterans on it in the past. Not saying this will work out, these are more stop-gap guys.

They were plenty young after they got rid of Seymour and that didn't work out that well. Looks like age isn't important anymore. And honestly they had a lot more success when that defense had veterans on it in the past. Not saying this will work out, these are more stop-gap guys.

This is true...and even more so when Warren went down. Good point Max, I forgot you made good points.

25th in the league, and we the ones that get disrespected.

Maybe I'm backwards, but isn't a 43 better for small mlbs? I thought you got pushed around less. Vilma comes to mind.

I think Carter is a similar signing to Ellis in the sense that both players are older veteran guys who have shown that they could play at a high level relatively recently. In both cases, limited snaps and rotational use should keep them fresh. The Patriots under BB have always used every lineman who is active on game day.

The Patriots have put a ton of draft picks into the back seven in recent years at LB, CB, and S. I am ok with having one group on defense rely on veteran players, particularly at a position where rotation was already fairly common.

Ultimately, some of these signings (Carter, Ellis, Haynesworth, Mark Anderson) may not even make the team. Nothing wrong with throwing a lot of spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Andre Carter was loud, unapologetic, and very displeased when talking about Albert Haynesworth's unwillingness to play in the 3-4 in Washington. Should add an interesting dynamic in NE.

Andre Carter was loud, unapologetic, and very displeased when talking about Albert Haynesworth's unwillingness to play in the 3-4 in Washington. Should add an interesting dynamic in NE.

Just saw an article about this today actually. I also saw a Wilfork quote that basically said (paraphrasing) "Albert knows what is expected of him here, and if he can't handle that, he's gone." BB personally spoke with both Dillon and Moss before trading for them, I have to imagine he did the same with Al. If Albert is willing to play how BB wants him to, he has a place in NE. If not, he won't make it past the final cut down.

They had a very young defense last year. Adding Ellis, Haynesworth, Carter... and I believe they added other d-linemen as well.

Their D-line is definitely better than ours. Fortunately, our o-line is better than theirs (provided Moore plays. if not, all bets are off and we could be in for a world of hurt.)

They had a very young defense last year. Adding Ellis, Haynesworth, Carter... and I believe they added other d-linemen as well.

Their D-line is definitely better than ours. Fortunately, our o-line is better than theirs (provided Moore plays. if not, all bets are off and we could be in for a world of hurt.)

More proven? Absolutely. "Definitely better"? Far from definite. It certainly could be, but the Pats DL has Wilfork as their only real returning key DL and will have him surrounded by a bunch of older, clearly past their prime, vets. That doesn't mean Ellis, Haynesworth, etc. can't all have very good years, but it's certainly not a guarantee. Meanwhile the Jets have only lost one of their key DL in Ellis and have replaced him with two highly drafted rookies in Wilkerson and Ellis. They of course are no guarantee either, but the upside is certainly there. Point being is I certainly wouldn't call the Pats DL definitely better as the Jets may have a lower downside, but I'd definitely say they have a higher upside as well, given the youth, size and strength that's currently filling up their DL.

Archived