Tannenbaum vs. Bradway - Who did worse/better?

Freemanm

Okay, I know a lot of people have posted complaints about Mike Tannenbaum, so I thought it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of his performance to his predecessor. Feel free to chime in, and please accept my apologies if I missed anything obvious!

Tannenbaum: Best non #1 pick: David Harris Worst #1 pick: Vernon Gholston (jury's still out on Sanchez) Best non #1 or #2 pick: I think it's a tossup between Shonn Greene and John Connor Things to note: Tannenbaum has spotted very good players in the lower rounds Really Stupid: Signing Santonio Holmes to an expensive, long term contract that will be hard to get out of, not to mention the failed experiment that was Brett Favre (although Woody Johnson is more to blame for that one)

Bradway: Best non #1 pick: Kareem McKenzie (too bad they let him get away) Worst #1 pick: Dewayne Robertson, by far Best non #1 and #2 pick: in my opinion, Jericho Cotchery, who doesn't even play for us anymore. Really Stupid: Signing Chad Pennington to a really long\-term contract and never getting a decent back up for him. Also, letting the Redskings sign Laveranues Coles, and then trading Santana Moss to to the Redskins to get him back. Oh, did I mention trading Jonathan Vilma because boyscout Herm Edwards didn't like the fact that he was picked up on a DWI charge (serious, I know, but I don't think trading the guy as a result was the best course of action).

Tannenbaum

Muhammad Wilkerson

Kenrick Ellis

Bilal Powell

Jeremy Kerley

D’Brickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Kellen Clemens

Anthony Schelgel

Darrelle Revis

David Harris (#2)

Chansi Stucki

Vernon Gholston

Dustin Keller

Dwight Lowery

Mark Sanchez

Shonn Greene (#3)

Kyle Wilson

Vlad Ducasse

Joe McKnight

John Connor

Bradway

Santana Moss

LaMont Jordan

Kareem McKenzie

Bryan Thomas

Jon McGraw

Chris Baker

Dewayne Robertson

Victor Hobson

BJ Askew

Johnathan Vilma

Derrick Straight

Jericho Cotchery

Mike Nugent (no. 2, didn't have a no. 1 that year)

Justin Miller

Sione Pouha

Okay, I know a lot of people have posted complaints about Mike Tannenbaum, so I thought it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of his performance to his predecessor. Feel free to chime in, and please accept my apologies if I missed anything obvious!

Tannenbaum: Best non #1 pick: David Harris Worst #1 pick: Vernon Gholston (jury's still out on Sanchez) Best non #1 or #2 pick: I think it's a tossup between Shonn Greene and John Connor Things to note: Tannenbaum has spotted very good players in the lower rounds Really Stupid: Signing Santonio Holmes to an expensive, long term contract that will be hard to get out of, not to mention the failed experiment that was Brett Favre (although Woody Johnson is more to blame for that one)

Bradway: Best non #1 pick: Kareem McKenzie (too bad they let him get away) Worst #1 pick: Dewayne Robertson, by far Best non #1 and #2 pick: in my opinion, Jericho Cotchery, who doesn't even play for us anymore. Really Stupid: Signing Chad Pennington to a really long\-term contract and never getting a decent back up for him. Also, letting the Redskings sign Laveranues Coles, and then trading Santana Moss to to the Redskins to get him back. Oh, did I mention trading Jonathan Vilma because boyscout Herm Edwards didn't like the fact that he was picked up on a DWI charge (serious, I know, but I don't think trading the guy as a result was the best course of action).

Tannenbaum

Muhammad Wilkerson

Kenrick Ellis

Bilal Powell

Jeremy Kerley

D’Brickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Kellen Clemens

Anthony Schelgel

Darrelle Revis

David Harris (#2)

Chansi Stucki

Vernon Gholston

Dustin Keller

Dwight Lowery

Mark Sanchez

Shonn Greene (#3)

Kyle Wilson

Vlad Ducasse

Joe McKnight

John Connor

Bradway

Santana Moss

LaMont Jordan

Kareem McKenzie

Bryan Thomas

Jon McGraw

Chris Baker

Dewayne Robertson

Victor Hobson

BJ Askew

Johnathan Vilma

Derrick Straight

Jericho Cotchery

Mike Nugent (no. 2, didn't have a no. 1 that year)

Justin Miller

Sione Pouha

Tanny makes zero selections, the HC tells him what name to make in phone call

The way we handled the WR situation last year will have a negative impact on the team for the next few seasons.

And the O-line. Don't forget the o-line. He had plenty of time to fix that crap-tastic mess and did absolutely nothing. Also, chasing Nnamdi and not landing him.

Bottom line in regards to the OP. Bradway was a better judge of talent. He did well in mid-rounders and role players particularly. Tanny gets the nod over Bradway though, because of his ability to work out contracts. Saddest part is we are comparing a bad GM to a worse GM. Would be nice to have a General Manager who actually managed personnel, the cap, the draft, and free agent aquisitions properly.

When looking at Tannenbaum you have to look at his entire body of work, and what his trades have brought us in exchange of picks

MARCH 5, 2007: Acquired RB Thomas Jones and a 2007 second-round pick (No. 63 overall) from the Bears in exchange for the Jets' 2007 second-round pick (No. 37).~~~Excellent trade

APRIL 28, 2007: Traded their first-round pick (No. 25), a second-rounder (No. 59), and a fifth-round selection (No. 164) with Carolina for the Panthers' first- (No. 14) and sixth-round (191) picks and drafted CB Darrelle Revis 14th overall.~~~All time great trade

APRIL 28, 2007: Traded their second-round pick (No. 63), a third-rounder (No. 89) and a sixth-round selection (No. 191) to Green Bay in exchange for the Packers' second-rounder (No. 47) and seventh-round pick (No. 235) to move up and draft LB David Harris 47th overall.~~~Great trade

FEB. 29, 2008: Acquired DT Kris Jenkins from Carolina for third- and fifth-round picks in 2008 draft.~~~ Poor trade, only because of Jenks injuries

APRIL 27, 2008: Traded second- and fourth-round picks (No. 36 and No. 113) to Green Bay for the Packers' first-round pick (No. 30), which was used to select TE Dustin Keller.~~~ Fair trade

AUG. 7, 2008: Acquired QB Brett Favre from Green Bay in exchange for a conditional 2009 fourth-round pick, which was escalated to a third-rounder because Favre took more than 50 percent of the snaps.~~~Boom or bust trade. Had Brett not screwdd up his bicept, what coud have been

APRIL 25, 2009: Traded their first-round selection (No. 17), second-rounder (No. 52), and DE Kenyon Coleman, QB Brett Ratliff and S Abram Elam to Cleveland for the Browns' first-rounder (No. 5) to draft QB Mark Sanchez fifth overall.~~~Great trade for a franchise QB

APRIL 26, 2009: Traded third-round (No. 76), fourth-round (No. 115) and seventh-round (No. 228) picks to the Lions for the first pick in the third round (No. 65), which was used to select RB Shonn Greene~~~QUality over quantity type move

OCT. 7, 2009: Acquired WR Braylon Edwards from Cleveland for WR Chansi Stuckey, LB Jason Trusnik and a third- and fifth-round pick in this week's draft.~~~Great trade. Bray was great while here

MARCH 4, 2010: Acquired CB Antonio Cromartie from San Diego for a 2011 third-round draft pick that could turn into a second-round pick depending on Cromartie's performance.~~~Great trade

APRIL 11, 2010: Acquired WR Santonio Holmes from Pittsburgh for a fifth-round pick in this week's draft.~~~Great trade

Many of you dismiss what Mike brought this team....this team was damn close for 2 years.....The GM "went for it" and that's the type of GM I want

When looking at Tannenbaum you have to look at his entire body of work, and what his trades have brought us in exchange of picks

MARCH 5, 2007: Acquired RB Thomas Jones and a 2007 second-round pick (No. 63 overall) from the Bears in exchange for the Jets' 2007 second-round pick (No. 37).~~~Excellent trade

APRIL 28, 2007: Traded their first-round pick (No. 25), a second-rounder (No. 59), and a fifth-round selection (No. 164) with Carolina for the Panthers' first- (No. 14) and sixth-round (191) picks and drafted CB Darrelle Revis 14th overall.~~~All time great trade

APRIL 28, 2007: Traded their second-round pick (No. 63), a third-rounder (No. 89) and a sixth-round selection (No. 191) to Green Bay in exchange for the Packers' second-rounder (No. 47) and seventh-round pick (No. 235) to move up and draft LB David Harris 47th overall.~~~Great trade

FEB. 29, 2008: Acquired DT Kris Jenkins from Carolina for third- and fifth-round picks in 2008 draft.~~~ Poor trade, only because of Jenks injuries

APRIL 27, 2008: Traded second- and fourth-round picks (No. 36 and No. 113) to Green Bay for the Packers' first-round pick (No. 30), which was used to select TE Dustin Keller.~~~ Fair trade

AUG. 7, 2008: Acquired QB Brett Favre from Green Bay in exchange for a conditional 2009 fourth-round pick, which was escalated to a third-rounder because Favre took more than 50 percent of the snaps.~~~Boom or bust trade. Had Brett not screwdd up his bicept, what coud have been

APRIL 25, 2009: Traded their first-round selection (No. 17), second-rounder (No. 52), and DE Kenyon Coleman, QB Brett Ratliff and S Abram Elam to Cleveland for the Browns' first-rounder (No. 5) to draft QB Mark Sanchez fifth overall.~~~Great trade for a franchise QB

APRIL 26, 2009: Traded third-round (No. 76), fourth-round (No. 115) and seventh-round (No. 228) picks to the Lions for the first pick in the third round (No. 65), which was used to select RB Shonn Greene~~~QUality over quantity type move

OCT. 7, 2009: Acquired WR Braylon Edwards from Cleveland for WR Chansi Stuckey, LB Jason Trusnik and a third- and fifth-round pick in this week's draft.~~~Great trade. Bray was great while here

MARCH 4, 2010: Acquired CB Antonio Cromartie from San Diego for a 2011 third-round draft pick that could turn into a second-round pick depending on Cromartie's performance.~~~Great trade

APRIL 11, 2010: Acquired WR Santonio Holmes from Pittsburgh for a fifth-round pick in this week's draft.~~~Great trade

Many of you dismiss what Mike brought this team....this team was damn close for 2 years.....The GM "went for it" and that's the type of GM I want

sanchez blows gilligan and so does greene as a #1 RB and Bray aint here so not sure how you can say trade worked out and keller is on trade block

ya tanny is awesome lol

sanchez blows gilligan and so does greene as a #1 RB and Bray aint here so not sure how you can say trade worked out and keller is on trade block

ya tanny is awesome lol

Sanchez had a bad season, along with the team, jury is out

Greene was a 3rd round draft pick. Very satisfied what he brings

Braylon was a tremendous pick up. Just can't pay everyone

Keller isn't going anywhere

You on the otherhand, can go shovel some more snow old geezer

So Tannenbaum's grand scheme was to "go for it" with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB with 16 collegiate starts? Please. Tannenbaum's only plan is to get on the back pages so Woody can sell PSLs. The fact that the Jets made the AFCCG twice is more a testament to Rex bringing in a good scheme than it is with Tanny's stewardship of the roster.

So Tannenbaum's grand scheme was to "go for it" with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB with 16 collegiate starts? Please. Tannenbaum's only plan is to get on the back pages so Woody can sell PSLs. The fact that the Jets made the AFCCG twice is more a testament to Rex bringing in a good scheme than it is with any individual player.

True, but I honestly do think they fell in love with Sanchez's potential as a football player. He came off as a smart driven kid who was well liked by his teammates and a pretty good QB.

It just turned out he's mentally fragile and lazy. Hiding laziness in interviews is so freakin easy if you look the part....

True, but I honestly do think they fell in love with Sanchez's potential as a football player. He came off as a smart driven kid who was well liked by his teammates and a pretty good QB.

It just turned out he's mentally fragile and lazy. Hiding laziness in interviews is so freakin easy if you look the part....

I think they saw a good-looking, multiethnic cover model who might turn out to be a good QB.

As to the OP, what difference does it make, as Bleedin Green pointed out, Bradway and Tannenbaum have been the brain trust behind personnel for over a decade now. It's the same guys doing the same things.

ya tanny is awesome lol

Half of these trades were lousy. When acquiring these players it is overlooked that they had 0 or 1 year remaining on their contracts and that's why they were available in the first place.

So when we trade the value of a high 3rd for Jones, we traded the trade value away AND the $5M/year we could have used on a star starter elsewhere.

Sanchez was good trade value to move up to #5, as that's hard to do, but bad trade value due to the player we ended up with.

The move up to get Keller was not a good trade. He hasn't nearly panned out as hoped and the player drafted in our original slot was Jordy Nelson. Now it wasn't a total disaster; it's not like he's a bust or anything, but we're a run-first team and our starting TE blocks so sub-par we kept putting that friggin' useless dope Mulligan in the game.

Acquiring Holmes for a 5th rounder was a great move. I'd move our 5th rounder every year for 12 games (plus playoffs) of a Santonio Holmes in his prime type. Re-signing him for $9M/year with tens of millions of dollars guaranteed was beyond idiotic.

Best move that seems like a bad move in hindsight was adding Faneca. He took the weakest link on the team - a beyond-hole at LG, in between two rookies (no matter how talented) and replaced them with instant credibility and leadership on the line. Only wish his skill lasted longer.

In hindsight, the dumbest move he made was to put the team in full win-this-year mode and then hand the most important job of all to a raw, rookie QB who only shot up to his drafted slot due to the poor QB class that year rather than on his own merits. The move was only made worse by having no other viable options at QB for 3 straight years (and counting).

He cedes way too much scouting authority to coaches, he can't find a QB or a pass rusher, and all of his premium talent has come at a premium price. Compared to Bradway he's a genius. Compared to Thompson, Colbert, Reese et al. he's no better than average.

Bon mots right hurr

Oh, did I mention trading Jonathan Vilma because boyscout Herm Edwards didn't like the fact that he was picked up on a DWI charge (serious, I know, but I don't think trading the guy as a result was the best course of action).

What? Vilma didn't get traded until Mangini and Tannenbaum came to town. They moved him because he is a fidget and not suited to the 3-4. He is a Cover-2 speed LB, not like the 270 lb behemoths that Mangini required. Trading him was certainly the best course of action, but it would probably have been better if they did it sooner so they could have gotten more. IIRC, he was coming off an injury and had the knee problem diagnosed before he came out. I think we ended up with Lowery and another conditional pick in 2009, but I think it all was mixed into the Favre deal.

Half of these trades were lousy. When acquiring these players it is overlooked that they had 0 or 1 year remaining on their contracts and that's why they were available in the first place.

So when we trade the value of a high 3rd for Jones, we traded the trade value away AND the $5M/year we could have used on a star starter elsewhere.

Sanchez was good trade value to move up to #5, as that's hard to do, but bad trade value due to the player we ended up with.

The move up to get Keller was not a good trade. He hasn't nearly panned out as hoped and the player drafted in our original slot was Jordy Nelson. Now it wasn't a total disaster; it's not like he's a bust or anything, but we're a run-first team and our starting TE blocks so sub-par we kept putting that friggin' useless dope Mulligan in the game.

Acquiring Holmes for a 5th rounder was a great move. I'd move our 5th rounder every year for 12 games (plus playoffs) of a Santonio Holmes in his prime type. Re-signing him for $9M/year with tens of millions of dollars guaranteed was beyond idiotic.

Best move that seems like a bad move in hindsight was adding Faneca. He took the weakest link on the team - a beyond-hole at LG, in between two rookies (no matter how talented) and replaced them with instant credibility and leadership on the line. Only wish his skill lasted longer.

In hindsight, the dumbest move he made was to put the team in full win-this-year mode and then hand the most important job of all to a raw, rookie QB who only shot up to his drafted slot due to the poor QB class that year rather than on his own merits. The move was only made worse by having no other viable options at QB for 3 straight years (and counting).

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on Keller. I think he is a rare commodity: he blocks better then half our OL-men, and he can catch, and he's a team player.

That being said, I'm actually looking forward to next year and (hopefully) having an OC who actually knows what he's doing and can come up with more creative schemes then having your two wide receivers split out in to the flats so that they can catch 1 yd scrfeen/dump passes. Teams would figure that out by the middle of the first quarter, adjust for it, and then the Jets wouldn't score anymore points for the rest of the game. Seriously, I usually want to wish coaches who leave well (even Rich Kotite, who was so incompetent that I rooted for him in kind of the same way one would root for the kids in the Special Olympics). But Schottenheimer was so incompetent, so undeserving of the position that he had, and wasted so much of the players time and careers, that he's become the first coach that I sincerely despise. Seriously, I want him to spend the rest of his career stuffing grocery bags at Target or something.

Anyway, as a long time fan, I remember the days when Keyshawn Johnson wrote a book called "Throw me the damn ball" and called Wayne Chrebet "the team mascot." Parcells came in and when asked abotu the book, he just said "winning solves everything."

Once the Jets start winnign again, and they will, all of this locker room crap will die down.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on Keller. I think he is a rare commodity: he blocks better then half our OL-men, and he can catch, and he's a team player.

Keller is a bad blocker. Always has been. But he's a good receiver. Good. Not great, and certainly not a "rare commodity". I wish he was. I thought he had the potential when he was drafted. But there are actually two better TEs on our devision rival's team. And Gronk can block. Keller might be a top 10 TE pass catching. But he's below middling in blocking. So, yeah. Not really an awesome pick for the price IMO. I do agree, however, that he blocks better than half our o-lineman.

Anyway, as a long time fan, I remember the days when Keyshawn Johnson wrote a book called "Throw me the damn ball" and called Wayne Chrebet "the team mascot." Parcells came in and when asked abotu the book, he just said "winning solves everything."

Once the Jets start winnign again, and they will, all of this locker room crap will die down.

And then Parcells shipped Keyshawn to play with Shaun King in Tampa. Tannenbaum should learn the lesson.

Mike Tannenbaum

unquestionably the best GM the Jets have ever had working for them

FACT

Didn't Parcells have the title of GM, as well? That would automatically put Tanny at #2, at best. Unless you think Tanny is better than Parcells. Lol

Archived