Bob Sutton

SoFlaJets

HAS to have used those pictures he has of Woody Johnson with that goat at a party on his New Jersey farm. He was just named Asst. Head Coach of The New York Jets-and I don't know for sure but I suspect that he may have given Matt Cavanaugh a copy because he has been retained as QB coach...

cavanaugh it is hard to understand. Your QB has regressed in fundamentals and decision making and the tutor is kept on.

it's in a manilla envelope in a safe somewhere in a basement in Newark Frank and Matt now has the location AND the combination. Woody was told of 3 numbers with a left, right, left after each of them and Cavanaugh was immediately retained-WITH A RAISE

it's in a manilla envelope in a safe somewhere in a basement in Newark Frank and Matt now has the location AND the combination. Woody was told of 3 numbers with a left, right, left after each of them and Cavanaugh was immediately retained-WITH A RAISE

If you were an up and coming QB coach would you want to work with MS? career killer imo. i think jets were turned down many times...hence cavanaugh

HAS to have used those pictures he has of Woody Johnson with that goat at a party on his New Jersey farm. He was just named Asst. Head Coach of The New York Jets-

The defense has been pretty damned good for several years now. What are you going on about again? The whining is getting out of control at this point.

If you were an up and coming QB coach would you want to work with MS? career killer imo. i think jets were turned down many times...hence cavanaugh

Mark Sanchez seems to be preoccupied with nailing a different hot chick every month and hasn't got TIME to worry about getting better as the Jets QB-too many "fringe benefits". At least Joe Namath was a GREAT quarterback BEFORE he got famous and became a pookie hound of world re-known

The defense has been pretty damned good for several years now. What are you going on about again? The whining is getting out of control at this point.

Dude go back to Jets Insider-since you have no idea of some of the inside jokes that we have thrown around FOR YEARS here

So getting better every year since entering the NFL is regressing now? Wtf is wrong with everyone? Sanchez always did well when put in the position to succeed.

Yes, the issue lies in that he doesn't create many of those moments, IMO. With a playmaking QB this is an elite NFL team for the past couple of years. Hell with a upper-mid tier guy like Matt Schaub or younger versions of Hasselbeck or even Garrard they maybe are losing the SB in '09-'10 or '10-'11 like they should have done.

Keeping Sutton is a very good thing. He is a professional. He has a ton of experience. He needs a bigger role actually. Not when it comes to schemes, Rex and Mike P have that under control. Instead he needs to have more influence in how players are treated.

He coached Army for awhile. I think he knows a thing or two about discipline. Plus he is the anti-Rex. Sutton is quiet and doesn't make big statements. Really think Rex needs more of those qualities.

Keeping Sutton is a very good thing. He is a professional. He has a ton of experience. He needs a bigger role actually. Not when it comes to schemes, Rex and Mike P have that under control. Instead he needs to have more influence in how players are treated.

He coached Army for awhile. I think he knows a thing or two about discipline. Plus he is the anti-Rex. Sutton is quiet and doesn't make big statements. Really think Rex needs more of those qualities.

It's funny you say this, because when I heard about Sutton's promotion, I knew there were a bunch of people who wouldn't like it, but I definitely saw the benefit in it. Don't think for a second it's a coincidence that the Jets promoted the guy who has the amount of serious head coaching experience that Sutton has, regardless of at what level it may have been. That's really what Rex needs more than anything right now, help in really handling the entirety of the team, and it's something that Sutton has done in the past for quite a long time. Whether or not it will work out is another matter, but I can certainly see the logic behind this approach. Let's be honest, it would have been easy as hell to hand that title back to Westhoff and go about their business, but I feel like there was some legitimate thought behind this decision, and hopefully it pays off.

Agreed. Sutton and Sporano...these are good guys for Rex to surround himself with. They're not young up and comers, but good advisors and counsel for him as a young HC.

This, IMO, is the best offseason the Jets have had under Ryan so far, and it's just started. The only thing is that they missed on tricking someone better than Cavanaugh into wanting to hang their hat on Sanchez.

When Sutton was our defensive coordinator, he got steamrolled to the point that he expected to be fired at the end of the season (if you remember his end-of-season interviews). Besides, you cannot import discipline. It has to come from the top and it has to be consistent. Allegedly, Henry Ellard and Schottenheimer tried to exert discipline upon Santonio's head during the Miami debacle. How'd that work out? Ellard and Schott were shown the door while Holmes was immediately praised for his "competitiveness" and subsequently handed a check for $15 mil.

This isn't to say that keeping Sutton around is a problem. Really, who cares? He's an old hand that Rex likes. But, if your point is that Sutton was promoted to play Good Cop/Bad Cop, I think you're kidding yourself.

Agreed. Sutton and Sporano...these are good guys for Rex to surround himself with. They're not young up and comers, but good advisors and counsel for him as a young HC.

This, IMO, is the best offseason the Jets have had under Ryan so far, and it's just started. The only thing is that they missed on tricking someone better than Cavanaugh into wanting to hang their hat on Sanchez.

Truth. Sutton and Sparano can tap into that vast well of experience they gleaned while building dominant football programs all over the country. Also--added bonus-- Sparano and Sutton can show Rex the best way to clean out his desk if things go bad.

When Sutton was our defensive coordinator, he got steamrolled to the point that he expected to be fired at the end of the season (if you remember his end-of-season interviews). Besides, you cannot import discipline. It has to come from the top and it has to be consistent. Allegedly, Henry Ellard and Schottenheimer tried to exert discipline upon Santonio's head during the Miami debacle. How'd that work out? Ellard and Schott were shown the door while Holmes was immediately praised for his "competitiveness" and subsequently handed a check for $15 mil.

This isn't to say that keeping Sutton around is a problem. Really, who cares? He's an old hand that Rex likes. But, if your point is that Sutton was promoted to play Good Cop/Bad Cop, I think you're kidding yourself.

Sutton was almost fired because of performance on the field as coordinator. He is now a position coach, so the grades for the defense are on Rex and Tanny. I am not sure what Sutton would be able to do in the middle of a game that would help Bart Scott cover a tight end. :)

Agreed though the discipline needs to be set at a higher level. And if Rex doesn't do a better job of that, he will fail as head coach. Sutton isn't really the kind of guy you use for good cop\bad cop. Westhoff is a bad cop. Sutton is like good cop\nicer cop. That said, he can seriously impact the level of professionalism on this team and I think that is what they are going to ask him to do.

I think those guys at West Point already know how to discipline themselves.

I don't understand why people are hating on Sutton. He's a good position coach. He didn't have success as a DC because he was running Mangini's read & react 3-4 defense.

Yeah, that and he was doing it with 4-3 personell.

He's the longest tenured Jets Coach. Clearly he's well respected with in the organization and among the players. Dont see the problem here. Teams dont win or lose because of their Asst. HC.

When a good play was called he did well...

So, let me get this straight. Everytime he did well it was because a good play was called, but everytime he did badly it was because a bad play was called?

He never had any culpability? Seems a bit oversimplified to me, not to mention flat out wrong.

Shouldn't good players turn some inherently bad plays into good outcomes? And vice versa, a bad player will make a bad call look worse. Sanchez certainly made some bad play calls look even worse once he tried execute them.

Um....yes? This is how offense works.

No, it's not. Play calling is one part of what goes into making an offense work. Execution is another. You can have the best play call in the world, but if the players fail to execute it, you would never know.

Dude. The Giants won. Relax.

Exactly what did Schottenheimer and Ellard do to instill discipline? They benched a guy who was fighting in the huddle. By all accounts he had mouthed off and ignored people the drive prior, but they trotted him back out there. Let alone letting him dog it much of the season.

That is one of the things that worry me most about the Holmes situation. Not only is Holmes likely to stay because of his contract, but the guys that fought him are likely to be gone - LT, Moore and Hunter. Looks like Hunter and Moore will stay, but based on contracts they probably were close to the bubble. I would have hated to have that seem like support for Holmes or have Holmes situation dictate the roster.

Archived