#1 kelly

kelly

is dancing w/ the devil ~

• Members
  • 2,211 posts
  • Locationdunwoody, ga ! !

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Jets DE Wilkerson turning it on in second season

Mike Tannenbaum has taken plenty of heat during another disappointing Jets season, but his first-round pick from 2011 is helping the Jets’ GM save some face with his recent drafting. DE Muhammad Wilkerson has been on a tear in his second season, and he racked up his fourth sack of the year in the Jets’ 17-10 win over the Jaguars on Sunday, which kept Gang Green in the playoff hunt. Wilkerson, who also had three QB hits in the game, has three sacks in the last four games. He led the team in tackles for loss as a rookie in 2011 and, along with 2012 first-rounder Quinton Coples, is helping the Jets’ defensive front turn things around of late and show its usual aggressive style. In the offseason, Rex Ryan made it no secret — the club expected a big second-year jump from Wilkerson, and he has shown it in stopping the run and making impact plays in the backfield. Ryan said Wilkerson was “dominant” in Sunday’s win. With some in the defensive front seven getting up there in age, like Bryan Thomas and Bart Scott, Wilkerson shows plenty of promise as a disrupter for New York going forward.

> http://www.profootba...n-second-season
i ♥ u guys :P.. ...cheers ~ ~

#2 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationI was up above it, now I'm down in it.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

He and Coples are going to be cornerstones of this defense for a long time.

#3 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

It's a Mo thread but how about Quinton's sack of Henne, he crushed him. I know every thread is a "fire tanny" thread but there's no arguing with the first round picks from the last 2 years... mon.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#4 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 36,762 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

It's a Mo thread but how about Quinton's sack of Henne, he crushed him. I know every thread is a "fire tanny" thread but there's no arguing with the first round picks from the last 2 years... mon.

Coples had a couple of beast mode plays yesterday. Blew up a double team. Sack. Tackle for loss. Him and Mo Wilk will be beasts.

Wait. Wait. Horrible at drafting, cant evaluate talent, cant develop players. There, thats better.
Posted Image

#5 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Doug Martin or David Wilson would've helped the Jets win more games this season than Coples. The jury is still way out on him.

Edited by unbanmadmike1, 10 December 2012 - 05:03 PM.

Tank for Teddy.

#6 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Coples had a couple of beast mode plays yesterday. Blew up a double team. Sack. Tackle for loss. Him and Mo Wilk will be beasts.

Coples could have gotten called for roughing the passer, He jumped to the moon and superfly snukaed Henne

#7 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,361 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Doug Martin or David Wilson would've helped the Jets win more games this season than Coples. The jury is still way out on him.

Too bad this regime already blew their load on 3 other sh*tty backs.

#8 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

agreed ! ! :winking0001:

now , if we can just ADD some more " cornerstones " to our roster :character0181:

#9 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hasn't shown much mon.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#10 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

• Members
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

You know you keep saying this but it's pointless. Rex knows defensive linemen. Nobody has ever tried arguing anything remotely to the contrary, so this is quite an odd strawman you're setting up, even for you.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#11 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Young pass-rushers bolster Jets' defense

The Jets' offense may have its struggles, but the defense appears to have gotten back on track. The Jets have allowed just 16 points over the past two games.

On Sunday in Jacksonville, the Jets (6-7) held the Jaguars to two third-down conversions in 15 attempts. Coach Rex Ryan credited young linemen Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples specifically for learning on the job.Quinton Coples notched one of the Jets' three sacks of Chad Henne on Sunday."I think it starts with our pass rush," Ryan said. "The guys up front, especially Muhammad, are really doing a great job beating one-on-one [protections] and actually having the running backs a lot of times as well. That's really where it starts, being very mobile with our coverages and really running our package on third down."

Coples, a rookie, had two tackles and a sack in the 17-10 win over the Jags.

"Going from college to the NFL is definitely a lot different," Coples said. "I don't know if you can compare the two [in terms of] the level of intensity and the different levels of play. I'm still learning, still grasping everything and I think everything is falling into place."Up next for the Jets is a "Monday Night Football" matchup with the Titans in Nashville, Tenn. The Titans (4-9) lost a tight one 27-23 to the surging Colts on Sunday. A Jets win would get them to .500 and keep them in the running for a wild-card berth, which seemed a long shot given the team's struggles this season.

Despite the team's two straight wins, defensive lineman Mike DeVito isn't getting too excited.

"It's like, 'Oh, one loss, it's the end of the world' and, 'One win, they're going to win everything,'" he said of life in the New York market. "It's kind of the way the atmosphere is around here, and you have to recognize that and realize that the worst thing you can do is ... believe that either way. You just have to continue each week to be consistent and get better."Ryan has refused to talk playoffs until the team gets to .500, but he did use the term "Pro Bowl" in conjunction with the second-year Wilkerson on Monday, something the lineman downplayed. "I'm proud to be a Jet," Wilkerson said. "They brought me here. I'm going to continue to play like a Jet and do my best for the defense."

> http://espn.go.com/b...er-jets-defense

#12 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,212 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Wilkerson has really stepped up. Coples I'm no so sure about. He's flashed, but he doesn't see the field much. A little early to pat anybody on the back for that pick, but he can take a little bow for Wilkerson. Especially since it would piss Shane off.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#13 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationStockholm Sweden

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Mo is a ****ing beast. I wrote about him a couple of weeks ago and he has been just as good since, adding a few sacks as well. Couples was also good last time around but I sure wish he would stop jumping high when trying to get to the QB. If he just would have gone straight ahead he would have had another sack in the game. Instead Henne ducked and got away.

#14 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

You know you keep saying this but it's pointless. Rex knows defensive linemen. Nobody has ever tried arguing anything remotely to the contrary, so this is quite an odd strawman you're setting up, even for you.

it's funny how Mangini drafted Revis, Rex drafted Mo and Quinton, but Tanny drafted all the busts.

#15 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

• Members
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

it's funny how Mangini drafted Revis, Rex drafted Mo and Quinton, but Tanny drafted all the busts.

Bit the good draft picks aren't something that anyone has criticized. Tanny's has had some hits. Nobody has denied this. You keep trying to frame this argument that people are making and it's completely irrelevant to any of the actual criticisms. It's dumb and lame.

#16 CotcheryifyouCan

CotcheryifyouCan

J-E-T-S

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

mo wilk has been great lately. he has played inspired the last few weeks. off topic but does anyone know the status of k. ellis? id like to see that monster back

#17 cr726

cr726

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Can't complain about the draft, the free agents and players they let go yes.

#18 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,696 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Interesting though that they both play better inside.

Edited by HessStation, 12 December 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#19 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Bit the good draft picks aren't something that anyone has criticized. Tanny's has had some hits. Nobody has denied this. You keep trying to frame this argument that people are making and it's completely irrelevant to any of the actual criticisms. It's dumb and lame.

The thinking, around here, is that the GM fired Because of Sanchez and Tebow? ok that's fair.

but what about the after great first round pick of MO and at least very good of Coples? Rex gets that credit? What about the Landry signing? seems unfair to slice and dice the credit and the blame that's my point. Is the QB mess a bigger sin than all the successes? That's at least the question I want to ask.

There was a 30 for 30 special about the belichick coaching staff in early 90's CLE how basically all those guys got big jobs in the NFL. Tanny was in that room. He could get fired from the Jets and work for the rest of his life on the back of being in that room, and the Revis pick. just like how Rex can always fall back on his ring with Baltimore and his bloodline.

The Jets actually have 2 above average guys in Tanny and Rex. I guess that's what I see. We can base it on resume or we can base it on wins and losses.

#20 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,361 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

We just haven't had enough picks.

#21 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

• Members
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

The thinking, around here, is that the GM fired Because of Sanchez and Tebow? ok that's fair.

Seriously dude? Do you even bother actually reading the things that reasonable people actually post? Again, you're creating strawmen based on completely false interpretations of a huge collection of things that people have said. I have neither the time nor the inclination to list the entire smorgasbord of sh*t that's been gone over time and time again.

#22 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,442 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

The Jets actually have 2 above average guys in Tanny and Rex. I guess that's what I see. We can base it on resume or we can base it on wins and losses.

Hate to break it to you, but an NFL resume is wins and losses, and has nothing to do with whether or not one spent time in a room with Belichick or served as a ball boy for Weeb Ewbank.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#23 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

• Members
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hate to break it to you, but an NFL resume is wins and losses...

More importantly...

#24 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

yup...

:sick0017:

#25 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,784 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

but what about the after great first round pick of MO and at least very good of Coples? Rex gets that credit? What about the Landry signing? seems unfair to slice and dice the credit and the blame that's my point. Is the QB mess a bigger sin than all the successes? That's at least the question I want to ask.

There was a 30 for 30 special about the belichick coaching staff in early 90's CLE how basically all those guys got big jobs in the NFL. Tanny was in that room. He could get fired from the Jets and work for the rest of his life on the back of being in that room, and the Revis pick. just like how Rex can always fall back on his ring with Baltimore and his bloodline.

So what's exactly your point? Every single move Tannenbaum has ever made in his entire time as GM has to be a complete failure in order for him to be deserving of being fired? Occasional hits, which literally every single GM league-wide has, does not offset countless number of failures. The bottom line is he has handled the game's single most important position as bad or worse than any other GM in the league, and that alone is enough, as it truly is unforgivable and alone ensures the Jets have no hopes of any significant success in the foreseeable future, particularly if he's the one entrusted with fixing that position for the future, which he has shown no reason to believe he's capable of doing.

When you consider the abysmal failures at numerous other positions and a constant penchant for not addressing positions until after we've dealt with at least one full season of disastrous play there, it only compounds the issues. Tough to be too impressed with something like the Landry signing when that came on the heels of multiple seasons of the Jets sporting the league's worst safeties.
By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users