Game Tape: Sheldon Richardson

Villain The Foe

If he stayed in the Big 12 he would have been able to dominate much more. Where we pick him was just about right but did we really needs too is the bigger question. I'm convince we really wanted Warford and probably would have picked him if he landed to us in the 3rd. After seeing him win the battle against the 13th overall pick we would have been fools not to.

If he stayed in the Big 12 he would have been able to dominate much more. Where we pick him was just about right but did we really needs too is the bigger question. I'm convince we really wanted Warford and probably would have picked him if he landed to us in the 3rd. After seeing him win the battle against the 13th overall pick we would have been fools not to.

Spider Man once said that everybody gets one. Warford won the day's battle, but the war shall be Richardson's.

Spider Man once said that everybody gets one. Warford won the day's battle, but the war shall be Richardson's.

warford beat him heads up in some plays but Richardson also split a double, stripped the ball carrier and rumbled 60 yards. It wasn't exactly a shut out for larry.  

yeah you have to think they wanted Warford there. But Idzik stuck with his plan and wasn't giving up any picks

Cool. Makes me feel better about a top pick getting owned by a 3rd rounder.

Take a look at Carl Nicks/Jahri Evans; both all-pro OGs, both pwn just about everyone they go up against. One was a 5th round pick, the other a 4th round pick, respectively.  Despite what we read around here, OGs do get drafted outside the first round.  Richardson is a stud, but Warford besting him is no fluke, he's a special talent too.

it might be a stretch of a comparison but Adalius Thomas was a 6'2" 270 lb de turned "linebacker" for Rex once upon a time. Richardson runs the same 4.9 as Jarvis Jones and could be used in all sorts of roles. There's several plays in there where he drops naturally into coverage, it's not what you drafted him mid first round for but the "versatility" everyone's talking about is apparent. The key role is 3rd and long matched 1on1 vs a guard hopefully eating that dude's lunch. But the fact he can do alot is really interesting. 

it might be a stretch of a comparison but Adalius Thomas was a 6'2" 270 lb de turned "linebacker" for Rex once upon a time. Richardson runs the same 4.9 as Jarvis Jones and could be used in all sorts of roles. There's several plays in there where he drops naturally into coverage, it's not what you drafted him mid first round for but the "versatility" everyone's talking about is apparent. The key role is 3rd and long matched 1on1 vs a guard hopefully eating that dude's lunch. But the fact he can do alot is really interesting. 

I did not have to slug through all the videos, but from the little I saw I seemed like he commanded two blockers most of the time.  

Coples is more of a candidate for this than Richardson, but all three of the first round DL guys are really good athletes that can do a bunch of things on the fieild. 

Richardson's a great fit. Like bitonti noted he drops into short zones and rushes from a two point stance a lot on that tape. You know Rex and Thurman are going to want to do all sorts of goofy stuff with him. 

For the most part that Missouri defense was pretty poor around him, there were quite a few times he got into the backfield and started to blow up a play but nobody else beat their guy and was able to finish the job. Shouldn't be an issue with the defensive here in NY.

Dude also brings it every play. He's running sideline to sideline and downfield to tackle guys. Motor and effort will not be a concern. Talent is not an issue, he's quick as hell and strong. He'll have quality players around him. And this is one of the best defensive coaching staffs in the league, with arguably the best defensive line coach in the NFL in Dunbar. That's huge.

Didn't fill much of a need (though I'm sure they'll make it work ) but when you think about his skill set and the situation he's coming into, dude's going to be an absolute monster.

I don't think we've had someone on this defensive line since Big Jenk, including Coples and Wilk, that spent as much time in the opposing team's backfield as Richardson.  LSU never played Mizzou this year, so I never actually saw the kid play, but from everything that I've seen in the last hour or so of watching these highlights, he could become the most explosive player on our line. The kid moves so damned well, is so incredibly quick off the line, I'm really beginning to see why he was the pick.

When he does not get double teamed, he gets penetration every time. To be fair, this was the one knock on him coming out. His run support is poor - but that can be worked out with different technique and some time in an NFL weight lifting program. In his rookie year I think the Jets will use him in passing situations mostly. There are many times that he gets through the gap before the lineman get out of their stances, when he is not being cut and/or double teamed it is almost every time. He is the quickest DT prospect I have ever seen. Coples, Wilk, and S Rich can all rush the passer and/or drop into coverage. I'm excited about all of the possibilities that Rex can draw up with this group. Rex can drop all three into coverage and rush 3 DB's or just rush all 4 straight up (Garay or Ellis). It will be a nightmare for offenses once the Jets get them into a passing situation.

Archived