Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The record is what it is.

The point of the post isn't that I believe Herm Edwards was a great head coach. I don't.

But whether you think he was or not, the fact is that the records of both he and Rex Ryan are not that diifferent. In fact, you can make an argument that, over 5 years, Herm had more success as coach of the Jets than Ryan did.  

Just my opinion.

Flame away.

Im not gonna flame ya, in fact you make alot of good points. Saying he and Herm are equals is over reaching. The record is what it is, as you say, and Rex has a better percentage and 4 road playoff wins. Not to mention Herm got spanked by the Pats every single time, Rex is usually good enough for a split in the division. 

4. He is an absolutely terrible evaluator of talent. Anybody who thinks Mike Tannebaum was picking the players in his time as GM is crazy. Do you really believe that the same guy who picked Darrelle Revis would pick Kyle Wilson? Mangini picked Revis and the rest of the players while he was coach. Ryan picked his players, including Wilson. Ryan won with Mangini's players. But other than Mo Wilkerson, who was 1st round pick, he's failed miserably "shopping for the groceries".  

This is 100% nonsense. It's nonsense that Tannenbaum wasn't doing the selecting, and it's nonsense that the drafts with Mangini were any better than the drafts with Rex. In the Mangini era, maybe three decent-solid players were drafted after the first round. Harris (2), Washington (4), and Brad Smith (4). Under Rex, they took Davis (3), Powell (4), and Kerley (5). Equal, if not better, for Rex. Rex busted with Sanchez, but that wasn't anywhere near the bust that was Vernon Gholston. 

But this is one of those things that get repeated often enough that the people who want to believe it just do. 

This is 100% nonsense. It's nonsense that Tannenbaum wasn't doing the selecting, and it's nonsense that the drafts with Mangini were any better than the drafts with Rex. In the Mangini era, maybe three decent-solid players were drafted after the first round. Harris (2), Washington (4), and Brad Smith (4). Under Rex, they took Davis (3), Powell (4), and Kerley (5). Equal, if not better, for Rex. Rex busted with Sanchez, but that wasn't anywhere near the bust that was Vernon Gholston.

But this is one of those things that get repeated often enough that the people who want to believe it just do.

Mangini era drafts: 14 Pro Bowl appearances

Rex era drafts: Zero Pro Bowl appearances

1. He is not a disciplinarian and does NOT hold his players accountable (ex. How many blown timeouts, penalties at crucial times, too many men on the field, does one have to see over 5 years to recognize that?)

Mason lasted about 30 seconds after he thought he was more than he was. Plaxico was one and done. How visible are the punishments supposed to be for what you listed? 

2. He still believes that in today's NFL, you can win Super Bowls with good defense and a passive offense.

Made up

3. He fails to learn by his mistakes. Whether it's shooting off his mouth, or not benching QB's when they've deserved to be benched, he continually makes the same mistakes over and over again.

Rex doesn't really shoot his mouth anymore, and I'm perfectly fine with not benching QBs for the Matt SImms and Greg McElroys of the world.

4. He is an absolutely terrible evaluator of talent. Anybody who thinks Mike Tannebaum was picking the players in his time as GM is crazy. Do you really believe that the same guy who picked Darrelle Revis would pick Kyle Wilson? Mangini picked Revis and the rest of the players while he was coach. Ryan picked his players, including Wilson. Ryan won with Mangini's players. But other than Mo Wilkerson, who was 1st round pick, he's failed miserably "shopping for the groceries".  

#Science

Wilson was widely seen as at least in the conversation for BPA at the Jets' pick that year anyway.

5. He does not value "character" in players. Don't get me wrong .... every football team needs a few "criminals" to provide a little edge, but the inmates can not run the asylum. A good team has strong veteran leadership that 

keeps the criminals in check. Good leadership and strong character on a football team is critical to success. Yet, Rex names a guy like Santonio Holmes "captain". That's all you need to know about his ability to assess "character" and "leadership"

Also made up

Don't get me started on the Rangers! I've avoided those boards, I would probably lose my mind if I posted on Rangers boards! Having my wife scared when I watch, and yell at the TV for 2.5 hours is enough.

Try watching the Rangers, Jets and Knicks on the same weekend. I swear to christ I better marry Adriana Lima's younger sister for having to deal with Dolan twice and the Jets.

Only three things can happen in any situation -- results decline; stay the same; or improve.  And two of the three are unacceptable in the case of the Jets. The trend line during Rex's tenure is pretty clear.  The quality of the product on the field stinks and, ultimately, that is on his head.

Whether this gets him the axe, who knows with this dysfunctional organization.  Based on five years of results, he deserves to be fired.

That is just it.  He  has had 5 drafts and his team stinks.  He  has done the drafting.  I do not believe Tannenbaum drafted when Mangini was here and I don't believe he drafted while Rex was here.   He has no drafting history or expertise.  What the Jets are right now is on Rex.  A team should be improved after 5 drafts.  Instead they traded picks and wound up with not very good starters and zero depth.  Also they have a coach who defers responsibility for half his team.  Which has stunk for three years. All grounds for dismissal.

Looked it up, it's 10/14.

It doesn't matter.

The issue raised is talent evaluation, not coaching, and Mangini picked those players which proves my point.

Rex Ryan has not picked good players for this franchise.

Mangini did.

Nothing made up about that.

Mason lasted about 30 seconds after he thought he was more than he was. Plaxico was one and done. How visible are the punishments supposed to be for what you listed? 

Made up

Rex doesn't really shoot his mouth anymore, and I'm perfectly fine with not benching QBs for the Matt SImms and Greg McElroys of the world.

#Science

Wilson was widely seen as at least in the conversation for BPA at the Jets' pick that year anyway.

Also made up

You're entire post is made up.

Revis never would have been good if Rex weren't here, and Wilkerson will stop being good once he's gone.

The real issue is that if the new GM is capable of being a GM, he really doesn't need to be evaluating the head coach on his GM capabilities - no matter how aggressively or erroneously the mob here at JN wants it to be an issue.

And T0m likes to trot out that 14 number without mentioning that 11/14 are Revis, Brick, and Mangold. Lol.

Mangini era drafts: 14 Pro Bowl appearances

Rex era drafts: Zero Pro Bowl appearances

That Mangini sure could draft.  Why doesn't that cocksucker have a real job in the league?  

The real issue is that if the new GM is capable of being a GM, he really doesn't need to be evaluating the head coach on his GM capabilities - no matter how aggressively or erroneously the mob here at JN wants it to be an issue.

And T0m likes to trot out that 14 number without mentioning that 11/14 are Revis, Brick, and Mangold. Lol.

The issue isn't Rex performing GM duties, the issue is Rex making the players he's handed better, and he hasn't. You guys never answer this question: why would a GM give Rex another draft class, especially one we all assume will be heavy with skill position players?

It doesn't matter.

The issue raised is talent evaluation, not coaching, and Mangini picked those players which proves my point.

Rex Ryan has not picked good players for this franchise.

Mangini did.

Nothing made up about that.

I don't think Rex or Mangini picked the players, I think the fired GM made those calls. And if the current GM is capable of drafting (still iffy after year one), then he really shouldn't give a crap whether or not Rex is good at drafting players. It won't be his job.

But to play along, Wilkerson, Powell, Kerley, Coples, and Davis are all good players. Wilson (1-29) at CB is every bit as good as Keller (1-30) is at TE.

Revis, Brick, and Mangold were good picks in the Mangini years, but they also took Gholston.

It shouldn't matter and it's nonsense.

I don't think Rex or Mangini picked the players, I think the fired GM made those calls. And if the current GM is capable of drafting (still iffy after year one), then he really shouldn't give a crap whether or not Rex is good at drafting players. It won't be his job.

But to play along, Wilkerson, Powell, Kerley, Coples, and Davis are all good players. Wilson (1-29) at CB is every bit as good as Keller (1-30) is at TE.

Revis, Brick, and Mangold were good picks in the Mangini years, but they also took Gholston.

It shouldn't matter and it's nonsense.

I think Mangini and Ryan both had a very large influence in the draft and who got selected under Tannenbaum. Tanny was an accountant, not a personnel guy and he knew it.

I believe Idzik yields a bit more power in who gets selected now.

Just an opinion ... We'll agree to disagree on that one.

Archived