Slim WR pickings in FA market

Freemanm

There seems to be slim pickings for a legit, #1 WR in the free agency market.

Eric Decker is a good receiver, but I'm not sure if he really is a #1 receiver who deserves top shelf money, or has had the benefit of other teams putting their best DBs on Wes Welker.

Anquan Boldin, as many of you suggested, is old (in football years) and will want top dollar even though the sun is very close to setting on his career.

Hakeem Nicks - great receiver, but injury prone

Kenny Britt - see Hakeem Nicks

Jeremy Maclin - will want top $$$ even though he is coming off of a major ACL injury (see Tampa Bay Bucs and Darelle Revis)

Golden Tate - A good receiver but will want #1 receiver money even though he's not really a #1 receiver.

As has been suggested in this thread, the guy I really like in the draft is Mike Evans, who may or may not be available by the 18th pick. He doesn't have blazing speed, but his size, route-running ability and strength would make him a great slot receiver catching over the middle. The Jets might want to trade up with Baltimore (who is rumored to be interested in him) to get this guy, as Watkins most likely won't be available anymore.

If not Evans, I would suggest the Jets wait until the second round. I think Marqise Lee could be available by then given that he's coming off of an injury. If the Jets are serious about the offense, though, they will trade up to get either Evans or Watkins.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst thing we could do is sign someone for the sake of signing someone. I don't want Decker, I don't want Boldin, I don't want Tate, on that list I'd really only consider Maclin and maybe Nicks. If the right guy isn't out there, we shouldn't just throw the same money at the next best thing. I say we draft at least one WR early, possibly first round, and we also need to look at drafting a TE. I looked at the free agent TEs, nothing really to get excited about, Graham is a TE, but NO will surely re-sign him so drafting one looks like the best option.

Problem is, the Packers and Colts desperately need wideouts and have the cap room to get them. If you're a WR, you're going to play in those systems, not here.

Did you miss the celebration when it was announced Rex is coming back? Players will come hear just to feed off his aura

Sign, Golden Tate to compete with Brandin Cooks (18th pick in the draft) for #1/2 duties.  Don't look back; he's a tough sucker...great FA pickup.  Is he a #1? is he a #2?  I say they're both 1A clones. Makes it easy for a QB to throw to a same size/speed guy. Especially when they're hands catchers who fight for the ball. 

Sign, Kenny Britt to compete with Stephen Hill for situational-deep-threat-who-drops-the ball duties. Nothing else, he's this year's Stephen Peterman and makes Hill earn his job.  We can drop him after he gets his inevitable hometown DUI and develop our second rookie WR. 

Kerley mans the slot.  

Nelson plays the perfect #4, and can play anything from #2 to slot for WHEN our guys get injured. 

Sign, Richie Incognito.  He will upgrade our OL in a huge way, toughen up our youngsters, and send a huge FU to our friends down south.  All while keeping Geno upright. 

In the second round, I like that running back from Baylor, Lache Seastruck.  He's a (somehow) squattier version of Maurice Jones-Drew.  

Third round, draft another QB, the one that got away.  He'll be there.  Second pick of the third, draft another WR; Kelvin Benjamin.  He's raw, but is a natural hands catcher who is thick in the seat.  He, like Hill can be our over-sized red-zone guys.  I suppose we need those, especially if our starting tandem (Tate, Cooks, Kerley) can't break 5'11.

I'm good with our TEs.  Winslow is good.  Cumby is good.  Zudfeld looks like he can become something.  

We'll probably wind up with Maclin.. familiarity with MM and what not.

He's never done anything extraordinary and is coming off a knee so not sure why anyone would think he'd be in a position to demand anything.

I think there will be serious comp for Maclin from KC, and if all things equal where Maclin decides to go will tell you a lot about MM, unfortunately we don't have J Charles, and the best group of fans in the NFL so things will never be equal in his decision making.

Nicks  Austin  Britt  Boldin if Boldin was younger id give him large $$$ hes a beast!

Everyone on your list has already played their best football... Nicks looks done, Austin done, Britt headcase, Boldin done... 

Maclin isn't the answer

Then, the one guy whose best football may still be in front of him... you don't want. 

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Awesome.

Sign, Golden Tate to compete with Brandin Cooks (18th pick in the draft) for #1/2 duties.  Don't look back; he's a tough sucker...great FA pickup.  Is he a #1? is he a #2?  I say they're both 1A clones. Makes it easy for a QB to throw to a same size/speed guy. Especially when they're hands catchers who fight for the ball. 

Sign, Kenny Britt to compete with Stephen Hill for situational-deep-threat-who-drops-the ball duties. Nothing else, he's this year's Stephen Peterman and makes Hill earn his job.  We can drop him after he gets his inevitable hometown DUI and develop our second rookie WR. 

Kerley mans the slot.  

Nelson plays the perfect #4, and can play anything from #2 to slot for WHEN our guys get injured. 

Sign, Richie Incognito.  He will upgrade our OL in a huge way, toughen up our youngsters, and send a huge FU to our friends down south.  All while keeping Geno upright. 

In the second round, I like that running back from Baylor, Lache Seastruck.  He's a (somehow) squattier version of Maurice Jones-Drew.  

Third round, draft another QB, the one that got away.  He'll be there.  Second pick of the third, draft another WR; Kelvin Benjamin.  He's raw, but is a natural hands catcher who is thick in the seat.  He, like Hill can be our over-sized red-zone guys.  I suppose we need those, especially if our starting tandem (Tate, Cooks, Kerley) can't break 5'11.

I'm good with our TEs.  Winslow is good.  Cumby is good.  Zudfeld looks like he can become something.  

No comment on your draft suggestions... but your FAs... This would be an awful way to spend all that cap space that Idzik basically flushed this year to clear up.

Also our TEs... Winslow is suck... Cumby is 3rd string and Zudfeld can't run routes. They are garbage.

Everyone on your list has already played their best football... Nicks looks done, Austin done, Britt headcase, Boldin done... 

Then, the one guy whose best football may still be in front of him... you don't want. 

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Awesome.

Maclin 6'0"  coming off a serious knee injury highly doubtful hes a #1 WR compared to the 4 guys I mentioned.  Isnt that awesome dude!!!!!!!!!

RB is second only to DL when it comes to positions the Jets don't really need. It's the one position Idzik spent on last year, and he was probably very pleasantly surprised by Powell, too. Goodson looked like he might be a player during the 10 minutes he spent with the team. A late pick, maybe, but the second round would be crazy. The guy would have to be amazing to be BAP there because RB as a position has been completely devalued in the NFL.

Maclin 6'0"  coming off a serious knee injury highly doubtful hes a #1 WR compared to the 4 guys I mentioned.  Isnt that awesome dude!!!!!!!!!

First off, players rebound from ACL injuries no problem, second, his height is irrelevant ... if you paid any attention to stats that are less than 5 years old, you'd have seen he can ball and was the best all-around receiver on the Eagles before getting hurt. 

The 4 guys you mentioned would be lucky to give us 40 catches a year, so pitching them as #1 WRs is laughable... but I'd expect little else from you.

RB is second only to DL when it comes to positions the Jets don't really need. It's the one position Idzik spent on last year, and he was probably very pleasantly surprised by Powell, too. Goodson looked like he might be a player during the 10 minutes he spent with the team. A late pick, maybe, but the second round would be crazy. The guy would have to be amazing to be BAP there because RB as a position has been completely devalued in the NFL.

Yep. No chance would I advocate using a 1st or 2nd rounder on a RB. Especially one that will be situational, or part of a rotation. You want a stud RB? Hire a Shanahan or a Kubiak as OC and they'll find you an UDFA stud. 

The reality is, passing the ball is more important. 1st and 2nd rounders should be used on players that help you pass the ball better (QB, WR, TE or OL) ... or players that help you stop the pass.

I actually like the market...there are good players available who won't cost a ton. Tate, Cooper and Edleman would all be solid pickups.

Would also look at Donald Brown. He's better than Powell and would compliment Ivory well imo

I'd be all about Edelman and Donald Brown, it would gift us weapons we can use in front of coverage - where most passing offenses do their damage these days because of the rule changes - rather than trying to get over the top of it.

Yep. No chance would I advocate using a 1st or 2nd rounder on a RB. Especially one that will be situational, or part of a rotation. You want a stud RB? Hire a Shanahan or a Kubiak as OC and they'll find you an UDFA stud.

The reality is, passing the ball is more important. 1st and 2nd rounders should be used on players that help you pass the ball better (QB, WR, TE or OL) ... or players that help you stop the pass.

Need a running back that can be a big part of the passing game. Vereen, Charles even Lynch are all good pass catchers.

First off, players rebound from ACL injuries no problem, second, his height is irrelevant ... if you paid any attention to stats that are less than 5 years old, you'd have seen he can ball and was the best all-around receiver on the Eagles before getting hurt. 

The 4 guys you mentioned would be lucky to give us 40 catches a year, so pitching them as #1 WRs is laughable... but I'd expect little else from you.

DeSean Jackson is the best all around WR the Eagles have really that's your argument?   Some players do rebound and some don't so you're willing to throw him #1 money with a big "if" hanging over his head?  

No comment on your draft suggestions... but your FAs... This would be an awful way to spend all that cap space that Idzik basically flushed this year to clear up.

Also our TEs... Winslow is suck... Cumby is 3rd string and Zudfeld can't run routes. They are garbage.

You don't like probowlers and playmakers?

Tate is nice, because we can offer him a competitive salary to come in and be our solid #2, then hope for #1 production.  He's also a helluva runblocker and a hands catcher, with decent YAC ability. 

Britt is a size/speed guy we can get on the cheap, then hope for production that outmatches his contract. 

Incognito comes with a suspension, but is a legit probowl talent.  We can get him on the used goods/"did a naughty" discount program. 

I don't see how adding this level of talent takes us out of the market to spend money on securing our own, or to pony up big bucks for a shiny toy (Graham). 

If we have $50MM in cap.  I don't see how my suggestions even sniff spending half of that. 

DeSean Jackson is the best all around WR the Eagles have really that's your argument?   Some players do rebound and some don't so you're willing to throw him #1 money with a big "if" hanging over his head?  

Maclin was out-playing Jackson before his injury.

Obviously if his knee doesn't check out, you don't sign him - this shouldn't have to even be explained.

I NEVER said I'd give any of these scrubs #1 money. I said of the 5 guys that you commented on, Maclin's probably got the most good football in front of him still. So I'd check out his knee, and bring him in on a safe contract, hoping that we'd be getting good value on the good football he has yet to play... rather than rewarding guys like Boldin and Austin a contract for their past accomplishments, a level of play they'll never get close to again.

I'm not talking about #1 WRs. It's an irrelevant term when you consider the 5 guys we are discussing here. True #1 WRs don't become FAs with regularity... it's a rare thing. So, I'm talking about complementary parts to the offense. 

True true..,just don't agree with it not being a position that could use an upgrade. Brown quietly had a solid year.

I agree it could use an upgrade, just not from the first 2 rounds of the draft. Our needs are bigger... and I'm a fan of Donald Brown, in the right offense. 

You don't like probowlers and playmakers?

Tate is nice, because we can offer him a competitive salary to come in and be our solid #2, then hope for #1 production.  He's also a helluva runblocker and a hands catcher, with decent YAC ability. 

Britt is a size/speed guy we can get on the cheap, then hope for production that outmatches his contract. 

Incognito comes with a suspension, but is a legit probowl talent.  We can get him on the used goods/"did a naughty" discount program. 

I don't see how adding this level of talent takes us out of the market to spend money on securing our own, or to pony up big bucks for a shiny toy (Graham). 

If we have $50MM in cap.  I don't see how my suggestions even sniff spending half of that. 

No, I don't like probowlers and playmakers... I guess I should love your list, because they are mostly mid-range talent. 

True true..,just don't agree with it not being a position that could use an upgrade. Brown quietly had a solid year.

DT could use an upgrade, too, it's just not nearly the priority. There are bigger needs at virtually every other position on the field.

Powell is okay.  Ivory ran hard, but lets face it, he didn't do what we were all fapping about when he was traded for.  

We need a playmaker at RB and don't have one.  While the second round might seem high for a RB given our current team needs, if Seastrunk is who I think he is, he'll take pressure off the passing game (he's also an excellent pass protector) which is something every team needs. 

not crazy.  sensible. 

Archived