Slim WR pickings in FA market

Freemanm

I think you guys are a little too hung up on FA.  There will be specific FA guys they target and will bid high for.  Other than that, they will just be looking at FAs to shore up weak spots.  It doesn't matter if a guy is a #1, 1a or 2.  If he is better than what we have and a value, you sign him.  Golden Tate not being a #1 is not a problem until you pony up crazy money for him.  He makes the team better.  Doing that will keep you from having any gaping holes at draft time so you can go BAP. I'll also be interested to see what they do with Holmes.  I'd like to just cut ties with him, but I have a strange feeling he may be back with a pay cut.

Would agree. Tate isnt Dez Bryant but he's a clear starter here. He improves the offense.Seattle didnt have a #1 either. Ditto the Pats. Chances are we dont have an explosive offense next season...but those are the types of guys that can help extend drives and keep the defense  fresh.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would agree. Tate isnt Dez Bryant but he's a clear starter here. He improves the offense.Seattle didnt have a #1 either. Ditto the Pats. Chances are we dont have an explosive offense next season...but those are the types of guys that can help extend drives and keep the defense fresh.

Fair enough on the Tate stuff. He's not a wow factor to me but he would improve the offense and is really the one guy healthy, young and non-thug. Besides Decker I guess. Although I'm guessing Tate would be cheaper. Overpaying for Decker would be a bad idea IMO.

Fair enough on the Tate stuff. He's not a wow factor to me but he would improve the offense and is really the one guy healthy, young and non-thug. Besides Decker I guess. Although I'm guessing Tate would be cheaper. Overpaying for Decker would be a bad idea IMO.

There's only room for one La-La Anthony in this town.

That's the trouble.  Until we know the price, all these guys are good.  Maybe not Britt, but otherwise if they are cheap enough they probably improve this group.  Idzik seems to like dumpster diving, so he might even like Britt.  I'm fine with it as long as we can cut him without taking a hit.  

I think some of the current guys will flourish with a better player to take the heat off.  I think Hill was forcing some coverages to be rolled and if you can get a legit body on the other side he can be successful.  

I don't love any of the WR's as true number ones. Maybe Nicks when healthy AND motivated, which is a rare occurrence with him.

The potential problem I see is that since WR is such an important position in todays NFL, these guys will get paid like true number ones, like Santonio did.

I know everyone kills Tannebaum for the Holmes deal, and rightfully so, but Washington was rumored to be offering him an enormous contract as well because he was the only real established WR that year.

Generally speaking, WR's tend to get to big of contracts as FA's, and far too often seem to underperform after getting them.

He's a pouter. Doesnt believe in the offseason stuff....with a young QB it's not a good idea. He's got some Burress and Holmes in him...Jets don't need that.

jets can't afford to be picky. nicks would be a huge addition to this wr corps

sign a #1 at almost any cost. how many years has it been since we've been allowed to pass judgment on a jets passer without enduring the hoots of "but there is no surrounding talent! evaluations are impossible!"

The Jets need to upgrade ALL of the skill positions on offense.   Lets say they keep Kerley as the slot wr.   If they can improve at both of the other wr positions and TE they don't need to break the bank for a #1 which in all likelihood isn't even available.  

When I say upgrade the skill positions, I don't mean signing Chaz Schillens.   I mean selecting best WR available in the 1st rd, potentially making a trade or signing via FA.     My point is just that they don't need Calvin Johnson or AJ Green to improve the passing game and they can do it without a super star.      

Forget the free agents other than Britt who will come cheap lets get on the phone with the Browns and work out a deal for Josh Gordon tCleveland is rebuilding they want multiple draft picks Idzik needs to make it happen. Gordon is a proven WR in the NFL.

WRs 2014  Gordon,Britt,Kerley,Nelson, and the best man out of Salas,Hill,Gates etc

As has been suggested in this thread, the guy I really like in the draft is Mike Evans, who may or may not be available by the 18th pick. He doesn't have blazing speed, but his size, route-running ability and strength would make him a great slot receiver catching over the middle. The Jets might want to trade up with Baltimore (who is rumored to be interested in him) to get this guy, as Watkins most likely won't be available anymore.

If not Evans, I would suggest the Jets wait until the second round. I think Marqise Lee could be available by then given that he's coming off of an injury. If the Jets are serious about the offense, though, they will trade up to get either Evans or Watkins.

Evans is too slow. He is no ton par with Alshon Jeffries who is similar.  Lee wont be there in 2nd round. I would trade back and get an extra pick. Many good receivers to choose from that can help the offense.  Trade back and take TE Serfrian Jenkins and then Jordan Mathews or Donte Moncreif with 2nd round pick..     

Evans is too slow. He is no ton par with Alshon Jeffries who is similar.  Lee wont be there in 2nd round. I would trade back and get an extra pick. Many good receivers to choose from that can help the offense.  Trade back and take TE Serfrian Jenkins and then Jordan Mathews or Donte Moncreif with 2nd round pick..     

We need instant help at WR not another Stephen HIll where we sit back and hope he develops.  Trade the #1 and #3 to Cleveland for Josh Gordon

I hear what you're saying but deep threats don't lead to winning seasons, as you can't score by throwing a 50-yard bomb every pass. I'd rather have a big guy who can run routes, catch the ball in the middle and move the chains. Again, I hear what you're saying, but IMHO Evans would be more of a help.

Doesn't really matter, the Jets will have to make a deal with the Ravens in order to get him, because the Ravens are big on this guy.

Some big names with equally big question marks - injuries, not a #1, can they play in another system.  Free agency should be used to improve the secondary and the draft for the offense. 

Maclin/Nicks - injuries

Jones - green bay will take him back

Sanders/Jones - they are #1 guys and aren't consistent

Decker - can he be the same guy away from Denver when he has to be a #1?

Copper - not a #1 but has been a nice deep threat this season  - 47 catches at 18YPC.  Last time the Jets had a receiver average 20 YPC was back when they had Walker.

We need instant help at WR not another Stephen HIll where we sit back and hope he develops.  Trade the #1 and #3 to Cleveland for Josh Gordon

This isn't Madden.  Stop trying to make this hypothetical deal for Josh Gordon happen.  The Browns won't be trading him.

This isn't Madden.  Stop trying to make this hypothetical deal for Josh Gordon happen.  The Browns won't be trading him.

Not for nothin'... they might do that deal. 1 yr. suspension for next violation. Question is would Idzik make that trade. They are rebuilding and would have a lot of picks

Not for nothin'... they might do that deal. 1 yr. suspension for next violation. Question is would Idzik make that trade. They are rebuilding and would have a lot of picks

Gordon was statistically a top 3 receiver in the NFL this season despite playing less games than Megatron and AJ Green, and having multiple sh**ty QB's under center.  Of course you make that trade if you're John Idzik.  Are you kidding me?

The Browns were looking for a 1st rounder for Gordon before he exploded.  So it's safe to say, once again, that they're not moving him.  He's an incredibly value weapon for whoever their QB is going to be in 2014.  The threat of a suspension does not significantly reduce his value enough for them to move him.

Some big names with equally big question marks - injuries, not a #1, can they play in another system.  Free agency should be used to improve the secondary and the draft for the offense. 

Not a good plan. Everyone who hits free agency has some sort of issue. Whether it's injury, inconsistency, or they've just priced themselves off their current team. Still, free agency should be a much surer bet than the draft.

If you target only one side of the ball in free agency, expecting to fill your needs on the other side thru the draft, you put yourself in a bad position on draft day. What if there's a run on those WRs you wanted? What if (like last year) someone else identifies WR as your big need, and trades in front of you to grab the one you want?

No, what you want to do in free agency is to fill every need you possibly can. So when it comes to the draft, you can comfortably go BAP. That's how you land a Sheldon Richardson.

Archived