Why do i turn on ESPN and the first thing is see is Jets QB Controversy..

CobraVerde

ESPN has always loved Vick and Farve, when you're attracted to men,

like those who run espn, looks are more important than the game itself,

guys like Tebow, Vick, Farve, apparently are male model types, hence the

attention from those who admire males.

ESPN was in pure heaven with the male on male kiss. It's what they stand for,

because it's what they are, I would like two hot cheerleaders kissing on the

Jet sideline every game, and topless cheerleaders would be appropriate for Monday

night games. The NFL network is even more male obsessed than ESPN, if thats possible.

Keysean and Sapp have to be the sorriest pair I've seen, they really have nothing

to say, I gave up on both networks a year and a half ago, I didn't have to suffer

through the 24 hour a day Tebow show was ESPN during Tebow's Jet tenure, and I never

have to see that style of journalism, personally can't stomach it.

definitely bro, espn has teh gay. Football needs more hot cheerleaders making out and stuff

There is a QB controversy.

Geno gets the nod but is on a short leash. If he does not clean up his turnovers, how long can Ryan keep him in there with Vick? Vick can win games, but is another one that will make a bad decision that will lose the game as well.

The Jets can preach Geno is the guy all they want, but everyone knows that Ryan has to win and that Izzy has provided Vick if season heads south.

There is a QB controversy.

Geno gets the nod but is on a short leash. If he does not clean up his turnovers, how long can Ryan keep him in there with Vick? Vick can win games, but is another one that will make a bad decision that will lose the game as well.

The Jets can preach Geno is the guy all they want, but everyone knows that Ryan has to win and that Izzy has provided Vick if season heads south.

They're hoping and praying Geno is the QB of the future (which I don't think he is) but brought in Vick because he is what he is. He's better then Geno but not a SB quality QB anymore.

If all else fails, Vick is the starter by week 4, gets us enough wins to make 500 and miss the playoffs but allows us to take a 1st round QB next year so we can start the same process over once again.

They're hoping and praying Geno is the QB of the future (which I don't think he is) but brought in Vick because he is what he is. He's better then Geno but not a SB quality QB anymore.

If all else fails, Vick is the starter by week 4, gets us enough wins to make 500 and miss the playoffs but allows us to take a 1st round QB next year so we can start the same process over once again.

Maybe Boyd is the Jets Russel Wilson?

Stranger things have happened.

Jets to media: Geno is the starter.

Jets to Vick: Geno is the starter.

Vick to media: Geno is the starter.

Media to world: In mid-May, the Jets already have another QB controversy, folks!

this is why i only read these football reporters second hand----on this site.

i think geno stinks and will never be good. i don't think he has it upstairs. i fear he is a dumdum. But i am also wholly unqualified to make this assessment. he doesn't have the look to me but what the hell do i know.

Obviously the coaches and front office feel differently. If you have no belief in your QB, you don't replace him with a guy on a one year deal. Maybe you don't take a QB in the first round, but you definitely take one of Murray, McCarron, or Mettenberger with your fifth rounder.

Geno was surrounded with the worst cast of receivers in the league last year, then lost the best of a sorry bunch for an abysmal four game stretch. He shouldn't have that excuse this season. I think it's pretty clear they want to take an extended look at him with a year under his belt with a decent set of pass catchers around him.

Intelligence is one of the reasons I was glad the Jets passed on Bridgewater. Not only were Geno's combine numbers better than Bridgewater's pro day numbers in the 40, vertical, and broad jump, but he also bettered him in the Wonderlic 24 to 20. Geno fumbled a lot with his small hands, and Bridgewater's hands are an eighth of an inch smaller. I think he's gonna join the long list of college QBs who don't translate to the pros.

Obviously the coaches and front office feel differently. If you have no belief in your QB, you don't replace him with a guy on a one year deal. Maybe you don't take a QB in the first round, but you definitely take one of Murray, McCarron, or Mettenberger with your fifth rounder.

Geno was surrounded with the worst cast of receivers in the league last year, then lost the best of a sorry bunch for an abysmal four game stretch. He shouldn't have that excuse this season. I think it's pretty clear they want to take an extended look at him with a year under his belt with a decent set of pass catchers around him.

Intelligence is one of the reasons I was glad the Jets passed on Bridgewater. Not only were Geno's combine numbers better than Bridgewater's pro day numbers in the 40, vertical, and broad jump, but he also bettered him in the Wonderlic 24 to 20. Geno fumbled a lot with his small hands, and Bridgewater's hands are an eighth of an inch smaller. I think he's gonna join the long list of college QBs who don't translate to the pros.

We agree on Bridgewater. You are probably right that the coaching staff must see something in Geno to make them think he can still potentially be the guy. They would obviously know more than either of us would, so for now we have to have some faith. I've just been burned too many times with optimism--I was high on Sanchez when he first came out--not going to let my heart get broken again!

With all due respect to Namath, whats being overlooked here is JETS are looking at the QB position for someone who could be here long term and not just from this season's perspective.

Vick the way he has played in the league is probably on his last lap in the league while Geno is only in his second year. So he is not the long term answer at QB position. Thats why he is signed for one year.

The JETS need to find if Geno is the long term answer this season OR draft someone next year who could be the long term answer.

Only wild card here is how Boyd performs.

Joe doesn't like Geno, probably because Geno could care less about Joe and never saw

him play, probably didn't make a big fuss about him, or doesn't like Geno's show boating

ways, also Joe loves Sanchez would tells you something about his opinions at this stage

in his life,

Vick starts if Geno gets hurt, or really srruggles, just like any second stringer,

the thing about Geno is that for a rook he played very well last year considering the

situation, before everyone throws Geno under the bus, lets see how he plays in post

season when it counts, look at Romo and Cinci's Red Raider, would you want someone like

that who can't handle pressure ? I believe Geno can play under pressure and blows

both those guys away. Geno is our Eli, Eli plays terrible at times, has no personality,

looks like an average guy, but he's 2-0 and in SB and owns Brady and Belecheat.

Keep this in mind, the Jets have 4 guys who can play a little qb, with good protection

they could win with any of them. Take away the games where Geno had no protection and

forced every throw, and you have a great Rookie campaign.

Geno isn't the next president of the united states, or even players union,

but he will be very successful, he aint Sanchez 2.0

Take it easy Pal. 45 years later and he is still the "face of the Franchise." Old people forget sh*t all the time.

Nahh, he's always coming out with the sh*t. At least once a year. It's pathetic when "the face" is either drunkenly groping reporters or talking sh*t.

Geno Smith: 33 fumbles in 33 college games

Teddy Bridgewater: 9 fumbles in 39 college games

Meh. Geno not being a great prospect doesn't make Bridgewater a great prospect. Geno is already here, I saw no reason to spend a first rounder on a lesser athlete at the same position. With a lesser Wonderlic, too. The pro football is larger than the college ball, and we saw Bridgewater have difficulty with the pro ball at his pro day. A day that should be scripted perfection. I think his hands are gonna be an issue on this level.

There were questions around Manziel, but he could wind up being a very good pro. Not gonna lie, it would've been exciting if they drafted him, but I was glad when they passed on Bridgewater and Carr.

The answer to the OP's question to start this thread is:

Controversy gets eyeballs to your website/newspaper/tv show. The audience loves scandal and misery... feel good stories don't sell. If they had a story about how the players love Rex, how full of confidence they are and how they feel they can make the playoffs...you would not get as many eyeballs as you do now. Controversy sells.

Forget the story and move on, nothing to see there.

LL

And people wonder why I hate namath.

When the media (meaning Cimini and Mehta) need a ridiculous quote that they can then take and use at various points in the season, they go right to Joe and he falls for it every single ******* time.  If Geno struggles at all this year, I guarantee you one of those ****tard beat writers will come back and throw it in our faces that Joe felt Vick should be starting all along.  I'm sick of the media and I'm personally sick of Namath as well.  He doesn't know when to shut up because he doesn't realize the NY media is using him.  I guess in his mind this keeps him relevant, but he really isn't.  I don't see the Giants' beat writers going up to Simms or LT to get their opinion on every single thing the Giants do.  I wish Joe would realize they are only going to him for controversial quotes and just shut up already.  Thank you for the championship 45 years ago, now go away.

When the media (meaning Cimini and Mehta) need a ridiculous quote that they can then take and use at various points in the season, they go right to Joe and he falls for it every single ******* time. If Geno struggles at all this year, I guarantee you one of those ****tard beat writers will come back and throw it in our faces that Joe felt Vick should be starting all along. I'm sick of the media and I'm personally sick of Namath as well. He doesn't know when to shut up because he doesn't realize the NY media is using him. I guess in his mind this keeps him relevant, but he really isn't. I don't see the Giants' beat writers going up to Simms or LT to get their opinion on every single thing the Giants do. I wish Joe would realize they are only going to him for controversial quotes and just shut up already. Thank you for the championship 45 years ago, now go away.

I agree 100%.

I don't understand what the hell's going on. Vick says it's Geno's job but Vick is making five million dollars. How do you square that?

The possibility has to exist that at this point in life Vick is happier being payed 5M not to play football than being paid 5M to play football.

The possibility has to exist that at this point in life Vick is happier being payed 5M not to play football than being paid 5M to play football.

In Vicks mind, Vick is here to start

In Idik's mind, Vick is here due to the likely scenario that Geno continues to suck

In Rex's mind, he is wondering which one would make a better CornerBack

When the media (meaning Cimini and Mehta) need a ridiculous quote that they can then take and use at various points in the season, they go right to Joe and he falls for it every single ******* time.  If Geno struggles at all this year, I guarantee you one of those ****tard beat writers will come back and throw it in our faces that Joe felt Vick should be starting all along.  I'm sick of the media and I'm personally sick of Namath as well.  He doesn't know when to shut up because he doesn't realize the NY media is using him.  I guess in his mind this keeps him relevant, but he really isn't.  I don't see the Giants' beat writers going up to Simms or LT to get their opinion on every single thing the Giants do.  I wish Joe would realize they are only going to him for controversial quotes and just shut up already.  Thank you for the championship 45 years ago, now go away.

namath has earned the right to say whatever the hell he wants about the jets. that is funny a messageboard guy who has no problem sharing his opinions not liking the most celebrated player in team history sharing his. come on.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wasn't alive for SBIII that really thinks that Namath's presence around the team and in the media right now is a good thing.

i wasn't alive and i think namath's presence is good.

he is being realistic. geno stinks. anyone with eyes can see he doesn't have it. we'll see what happens but if there is a prop bet on QBR for geno this year i almost don't care what the number is i am going all in on UNDER.

i wasn't alive and i think namath's presence is good.

he is being realistic. geno stinks. anyone with eyes can see he doesn't have it. we'll see what happens but if there is a prop bet on QBR for geno this year i almost don't care what the number is i am going all in on UNDER.

Agreeing with him, and having his presence be 'good' are not the same thing.

How does having a 70 year old mascot criticize the coaching staff every opportunity he gets benefit the franchise today?

How does having a 70 year old mascot criticize the coaching staff every opportunity he gets benefit the franchise today?

Say what you will about Mangini, it was pretty goddamned great finally hearing somebody tell Jim Brown to sit down and shut up.

at worst it doesn't hurt. at best it helps to have a voice of reason out there.

at worst it doesn't hurt. at best it helps to have a voice of reason out there.

Except the "voice of reason" here doesn't seem to remember that we're bringing back the same OC that Smith played under last year.  His comments suggest he thinks that only Vick played under Mornhinweg in the past, and it's upon this he's basing a lot of Vick's competition-advantage.

Except the "voice of reason" here doesn't seem to remember that we're bringing back the same OC that Smith played under last year.  His comments suggest he thinks that only Vick played under Mornhinweg in the past, and it's upon this he's basing a lot of Vick's competition-advantage.

What do you think the chances are that Namath watched a snap that Vick took in the last 3 years is?  Outside of what was on Sportscenter, if that...

that's fair--vick does have a history of some relative success under marty though, which geno does not (yet)

Archived