Anyone watch the SNL Reunion?

Matt39

I didn't like all the fawning over Eddie that Chris Rock did in his introduction.  Eddie Murphy "saved" SNL?

Plus, to get that intro., then not perform at least five minutes of standup?  Clearly, Eddie has lost his burst.

Rock's always been that way about him. He idolized him and then later on Murphy gave him his first break and a few more after that. It's pretty cool the way he tells the story.

I watched the first hour or two with the wife and then went to bed. It was a little jarring seeing how old and fat everyone has gotten.

Granted, I didn't watch all of it, but the thing that struck me as absurd was the fact that out of all the musical greats they could have scheduled--and there have been tons of excellent acts playing that show through the years--they had Miley Cyrus and Kanye performing.

I watched the first hour or two with the wife and then went to bed. It was a little jarring seeing how old and fat everyone has gotten.

Granted, I didn't watch all of it, but the thing that struck me as absurd was the fact that out of all the musical greats they could have scheduled--and there have been tons of excellent acts playing that show through the years--they had Miley Cyrus and Kanye performing.

Probably no one will agree but I didnt think Miley was terrible.

For the most part, it was great, except for the awful Californians sketch. And, actually, any time Wiig or Armisen appeared on-screen. Also could have done without Maya Rudolph being the lead in the musical sketch. And where the f was Walken?! All in all, it really was a satisfying retrospective of the last 40 years.

Norm Macdonald explained the Eddie Murphy thing. Said he was supposed to be Bill Cosby on Celebrity Jeopardy but he backed out at the last minute because he didn't want to kick a man when he's down.

He knew the laughs would bring the house down. Eddie Murphy knows what will work on SNL better than any one. Eddie decides the laughs are not worth it. He will not kick a man when he is down. Eddie Murphy, I realize, is not like the rest of us. Eddie does not need the laughs. Eddie Murphy is the coolest, a rockstar even in a room with actual rockstars. Quite a week.

Norm Macdonald explained the Eddie Murphy thing. Said he was supposed to be Bill Cosby on Celebrity Jeopardy but he backed out at the last minute because he didn't want to kick a man when he's down.

Did cosby have any lines? didn't he just start to talk when Trebek cut him off? That's still a complete waste imo

Did cosby have any lines? didn't he just start to talk when Trebek cut him off? That's still a complete waste imo

Yeah, he was going to be mixing drinks and saying some lines in the Cosby voice he did in Raw. Honestly sounded pretty amazing. Sounded like he respected his decision a lot and also had a ton of respect for Murphy's work on SNL, which basically kept the show going.

The theory is Eddie is still pissed at Lorne michaels and SNL for Spade making fun of him on Hollywood minute when his career was at its nadir in the 90's.

Eddie Murphy "saved" SNL?

He absolutely did. Him and Ebersol. This is on record a billion times over. That show would have been canceled in '81 had Ebersol not made Murphy the focal point of the show every week. The ratings were sh*t and the rest of the cast sucked because Michaels had left and took the rest of the cast with him. Had Murphy not been there the show would definitely have been canned.

So this morning they're saying (per Norm McDonald) that Eddie didn't want to do Bill Cosby.  Eddie said "I don't want to kick a man while he's down".  Keenan Thompson did the joke instead.

I'm hopping back and forth between 2 opinions:

1. (my good nature) Eddie's a good guy with some character, and I respect him. Even though most comedy takes unfair advantage of someone by exaggerating a caricature of who they really are.

2. (my darker nature) Eddie's got some 'stuff' in his past? 

Archived