the trade down

Dcat

70 was the perfect spot to take a QB. I really wanted Grayson here. We could have finally moved on from Simms and then some on the upside.

Besides which I've been watching game tape on Mauldin and he does not impress me. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Simms is our best QB. And our best hope to do serious damage next season.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What this thread equates to is basically you telling our GM that he valued a player, in which his entire team scouted, incorrectly, based off of your handful of watched highlights.  He flat out said that when he trades down, he does so because there's a block of players available that are all equivalent in terms of grade and he believes he'll be able to nab one when he moves down.  So he probably did like Harold, but the grade was almost surely equal or a notch above or below Mauldin. Or maybe he detested Harold and wouldn't have drafted him anyway. We do know that if he valued Harold or Duke extremely high, he would have taken them as BPA, because that's what his track record shows thus far. 

the trade down was a terrible move-I am all for feel good stories and hope this kid turns out to be a winner but we left great value on the board to pick up extra picks where usually they have no value-for our team it is hard enough for us to hit in the early rounds-some will blindly say this was a great pick but I would argue they never watched most of his games-I would love to dig up posts from the past two years where fans blindy say we got our guy and the gm had a plan...

the trade down was a terrible move-I am all for feel good stories and hope this kid turns out to be a winner but we left great value on the board to pick up extra picks where usually they have no value-for our team it is hard enough for us to hit in the early rounds-some will blindly say this was a great pick but I would argue they never watched most of his games-I would love to dig up posts from the past two years where fans blindy say we got our guy and the gm had a plan...

I know how you feel. But looking at his footage, he appears to be very sound

Mac got to cute this time, too many good players were there and they could not have been targeting Maudlin.

I don't think he was.  he said they valued the cluster of players between the 2 picks basically evenly.  so he got 2 picks and a player to slect a player of equal value

I understand where the criticism is coming from.  its 100% pure emotions.  fans fall in love with a player.  he is there when we are on the clock !

we are going to take....wait....trade ?

it happened to me with williams.  that was like a gut punch for me.  it took me a whole day to realize the jets got a gift and instead of drafting a guy they were in love with, they did the smart thing and took the kid that fell in their laps after another team made a stupid pick

lets all just be happy we have a smart gm who understands the draft and doesn't fall in love and get hosed

I don't think he was.  he said they valued the cluster of players between the 2 picks basically evenly.  so he got 2 picks and a player to slect a player of equal value

I understand where the criticism is coming from.  its 100% pure emotions.  fans fall in love with a player.  he is there when we are on the clock !

it happened to me with williams.  that was like a gut punch for me.  it took me a whole day to realize the jets got a gift and instead of drafting a guy they were in love with, they did the smart thing and took the kid that fell in their laps after another team made a stupid pick

lets all just be happy we have a smart gm who understands the draft and doesn't fall in love and get hosed

many times it is actually cause the fans emotions are correct especially with the jets-I watched the draft live in NYC and watched them pass on sapp even though every fan in the building was cheering his name, I watched them select ken obrien over dan marino when nobody and I mean nobody wanted ken obrien over dan marino-if we had a great record as a franchise of finding diamonds among the dust it would be easier to blindly follow 

"the plan" when even the past two years almost all of the guys were monster failures

many times it is actually cause the fans emotions are correct especially with the jets-I watched the draft live in NYC and watched them pass on sapp even though every fan in the building was cheering his name, I watched them select ken obrien over dan marino when nobody and I mean nobody wanted ken obrien over dan marino-if we had a great record as a franchise of finding diamonds among the dust it would be easier to blindly follow 

"the plan" when even the past two years almost all of the guys were monster failures

many times= 2 times.  (ron wolf passed on marino btw.)  

what are the odds any teams takes 7 players and all the fans love all 7 of the picks ?

macc actually wasn't here for that.  he does not count in the jets track record.

He's unathletic compared to Harold.

To be fair I was being a tad facetious, the Boar Hunter was an ILB as far as I recall, but my overall point is that Mauldin is not the same prospect Harold is.

False; I don't know where you are getting this from.  He also has more experience playing OLB, extremely productive and excelled against top competition in college.  Plays 100% all the time and was a terror for opposing offensive lineman.   Tell me, where do you see an un-athletic player?  Btw Ghoulston was a GREAT athlete; how did that pan out?  Mauldin is a FOOTBALL PLAYER with excellent athleticism.  

Check out .30 on this video and tell me how many 6'4 260 football players are capable of this and then tell me how unathletic he is. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gZpSh5uVg

Williams was a gift at 6 and Mac surely accepted,  Harold COleman and Duke were too good to pass up.  I watch a lot of college, Lorenzo never stood out to me

but what the hell do I know lol

I loved the offseason moves we made-the draft I think is average at best-hope I am wrong 

Just on the surface of things you are wrong.  We get the consensus best player in THE ENTIRE DRAFT, the best or one of the best deep threats, and A versatile and ferocious edge rushing olb while picking up another speedy receiver PLUS add two picks and this just average?  Boy this is a tough crowd.... 

Williams was a gift at 6 and Mac surely accepted,  Harold COleman and Duke were too good to pass up.  I watch a lot of college, Lorenzo never stood out to me

Thank you for your honesty.  

lol

it could be they maybe didn't even see those kids cracking our group.  powell is not loved around here because he doesn't give you highlight runs, but he can pick up blitzes and hold onto the ball.  

I read somewhere a team changed their gameplan when powell was scratched on gameday and included more blitzes because they respected powells pass blocking ability so much

ivory, ridley, powell is a decent bunch.   

lol

it could be they maybe didn't even see those kids cracking our group.  powell is not loved around here because he doesn't give you highlight runs, but he can pick up blitzes and hold onto the ball.  

I read somewhere a team changed their gameplan when powell was scratched on gameday and included more blitzes because they respected powells pass blocking ability so much

ivory, ridley, powell is a decent bunch.   

Duke and Coleman are home run hitters, Powell Ridley and Ivory are not. 

and another thing......lol

macc basically took sapp and marino for us this year

think about it

williams was falling, shoulder issue was the reason given.....and........the jets drafted him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who did the jets take in the 3rd round in the year of sapp or marino ?  don't remember ?(sperm edwards does, but there is something wrong with him)

if the draft was in new york you would have heard "we want will-iams" chants

macc is the man

Duke and Coleman are home run hitters, Powell Ridley and Ivory are not. 

Langford, Hunt and Ajayi are still on the board; not saying we will take one of them but if we want a home run hitter we can still get one. 

So you know more than the guy who has spent his career in scouting along with a whole new staff of guys who are also professional talent evaluators?   And what do you do for a living?  How do you know Harold won't be a bust or that the running backs still on the board will not be just as good if not better?  "We left great value on the board" says the arm chair GM.....  You know absolutely nothing about the player taken; so how can you comment about "value"? 

From everything I have read, while Harold seems to have the better "combine numbers," everything I read about Mauldin repeats the same phrase: a NATURAL EDGE RUSHER & Football player.

Seems MacCags feels we got more picks and the same player in essence .

Never understood the love for Harold, they went with the tape not the athletic potential.

Langford, Hunt and Ajayi are still on the board; not saying we will take one of them but if we want a home run hitter we can still get one. 

I've heard of ajayi !  I want them to draft him !

oh crap, not again

I was getting excited as the Jets' pick in the third round was getting closer. The past three months I was thinking Duke Johnson could be there in the third round. Then they trade down and the Browns get him. Very disappointed. I don't like trading down for late round picks. The 5th round is a crapshoot, and the 7th round (3 picks) is a wasteland. I like Mauldin. He was one of seven players I had on my list in the third round, but Duke Johnson was #1

Couldn't agree more.

And I think (I'm very much reading bt the lines here) Mac has hinted twice that he missed on this trade both in his presser with Bowles after Day 2 as well as with his interview at Florham Park in the dome - essentially saying it's educated guessing when you trade down and sometimes the guys you hoped for get taken 2-3 picks ahead of you.

Pick #152 is worthless, we really could've gotten an impact STARTER in the 3rd round today but Mac got too cute IMO.

I will forever compare Mauldin to Eli Harold and Tevin Coleman's impact (Duke Johnson too who would've been a PERFECT complement to Ivory.

That's nice.

A logical person would compare whoever was taken at 70, or even each individual we didn't take between 70-82, to whoever gets taken at 82, 152, 229 and dev posey.

Fans fall in love with certain names / players, and in the majority of cases, these emotions are fueled by very limited knowledge and research.

I'm going to trust the new front office and scouting team.  Supposedly talent evaluation is their forte, and I have no reason to doubt it at this point in time.

When I watch the highlight videos of Mauldin and Harold (admittedly a very small sample size of tape to evaluate), I don't see either of the players vastly outplaying the other.  In fact, my amateur opinion says that Mauldin looks like the more natural football player with his relentless effort, quick closing speed, and good instincts.

An OLB with good pass rushing skills was the biggest need on this football team, and it looks like the Jets drafted themselves a very good player while adding more picks and potential depth and a role player at WR as well.  If you put your emotions and bias toward specific players aside, I really don't see how anyone should be complaining.  In Mac I trust, for now.

Mauldin seems like a great kid and I'm happy to root for him, but I really don't understand this francise's obsession with try-hard linebackers. I'd have stayed put at 70 and taken Odighizuwa.

The guy is more than a "try hard" player.  He is a PLAY HARD very PRODUCTIVE linebacker; that is a big difference.  He is also more versatile then O or Harold as he has played with his hand in the dirt, as a stand up DE, and this year as a linebacker.   He is savage against both the pass and the run and has shown the ability to drop into coverage.   He may not have been as well known, but this guy doesn't take a back seat to either of those guys. 

Fans fall in love with certain names / players, and in the majority of cases, these emotions are fueled by very limited knowledge and research.

I'm going to trust the new front office and scouting team.  Supposedly talent evaluation is their forte, and I have no reason to doubt it at this point in time.

When I watch the highlight videos of Mauldin and Harold (admittedly a very small sample size of tape to evaluate), I don't see either of the players vastly outplaying the other.  In fact, my amateur opinion says that Mauldin looks like the more natural football player with his relentless effort, quick closing speed, and good instincts.

An OLB with good pass rushing skills was the biggest need on this football team, and it looks like the Jets drafted themselves a very good player while adding more picks and potential depth and a role player at WR as well.  If you put your emotions, EGO and bias toward specific players aside, I really don't see how anyone should be complaining.  In Mac I trust, for now.

FIXED. 

The guy is more than a "try hard" player. He is a PLAY HARD very PRODUCTIVE linebacker; that is a big difference. He is also more versatile then O or Harold as he has played with his hand in the dirt, as a stand up DE, and this year as a linebacker. He is savage against both the pass and the run and has shown the ability to drop into coverage. He may not have been as well known, but this guy doesn't take a back seat to either of those guys.

Oh wow, didn't realize, nevermind

Archived