Future of watching the NFL is here

Morrissey

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/3/8713541/nfl-yahoo-free-football-streaming-october-25

Yahoo will stream an NFL game for the entire world this October

Yahoo, not YouTube, will be part of the NFL's big streaming experiment

By Chris Welch on June 3, 2015 11:00 am

We now know who will be partnering with the NFL for the league's first-ever global (and completely free) live stream: it's Yahoo. Having come out ahead of Google's YouTube and other video services that reportedly vied for the honor, Yahoo will broadcast the October 25th International Series game between the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars from London's Wembley Stadium. Unless you live in either team's home market, Yahoo will be your one and only option for watching the Week 7 game.

The stream will be available across desktop, smartphones, set-top boxes, and smart TVs, and all of Yahoo's biggest properties (Yahoo.com, Yahoo Sports, and Tumblr) will be pointing users to it on game day. You choose how to watch the stream: it'll be accessible by web and also through the company's video-focused apps like Yahoo Screen.

Kickoff is scheduled for 9:30AM ET in the United States, which could lead to smaller ratings than your typical Sunday afternoon game. And yes, there will be ads. Yahoo sees this as a big opportunity to flex its advertising muscle and attract big-name sponsors, and from that perspective you should expect the game to resemble most TV broadcasts in the amount of ads you'll see on screen through four quarters. Both Yahoo and the NFL plan to market this as a monumental moment for the league — because it is.

THIS IS ONE GAME YOU WON'T SEE ON CABLE

BillsVsJags_London.0.jpg
A promotional image for the NFL's October 25th International Series game

For the NFL: a distribution experiment

TV networks have been live-streaming the Super Bowl to web viewers for several years now, but this marks the first time the NFL itself is taking the plunge and, for one day only, shutting cable partners out of the mix. Realistically speaking, networks like CBS and FOX don't need to worry about losing America's biggest sport to Yahoo, YouTube, or anyone else for many years; they've got rights for Sunday games locked up through 2022. Similarly, ESPN's Monday Night Football is also guaranteed to be a weekly ritual for at least seven more years. If anything, Thursday Night Football presents the best opportunity for streaming services to get into the game.

NFL Network airs eight of those games each season, with CBS getting the other half. That arrangement will carry through 2015, but what happens after this year is less certain.

For right now, the International Series presented a unique opportunity for the NFL to make history, even if it's a one-off. "We’ve had national windows before, but not necessarily a global window," said Vishal Shah, the NFL's VP of digital media business development. According to Shah, fans shouldn't notice any difference between this and any other regular season game when it comes to polish and presentation. "It will look and feel and be delivered to the fans traditionally as a high-quality production would go.

The talent, the storylines, the knowledge base of both the commentators and the ability to access information are going to be there."
CBS is handling production duties for the football end of things, with Yahoo obviously focused on streaming and promotion. Over a billion people visit Yahoo's various properties each month — with half of those visits from mobile devices. "The expectation is that just given the breadth of the reach and the breadth of the distribution, this really has the potential of being one of the leading live-streaming events that has been delivered via the internet," said Shah. It's a regular season NFL game, after all. People will be watching — even at 9:30 in the morning.

For Yahoo: doing good in the eyes of sports fans (and advertisers)

Yahoo views itself as the NFL's ideal match for numerous reasons. First, it's got enormous global reach as Shah mentioned. Second, it's capable of putting content on just about any platform or device. And third, it's already got a strong connection with sports fans thanks to Yahoo Sports and a massively popular fantasy sports platform with over 16 million loyal users. But even then, the company had to compete for the October 25th game. Yahoo's Adam Cahan told The Verge that the NFL's plan to stream a game worldwide, which was first outlined last year, attracted "active participation by a number of different players." Other sources familiar with the process said that the Silicon Valley mainstays you'd expect were all eager for a chance to be the NFL's link between Wembley and internet users. If YouTube executives are throwing chairs somewhere, the mood is definitely far more celebratory at Yahoo's headquarters.

A HUGE WIN FOR MARISSA MAYER'S YAHOO 

"From our perspective, it’s a really historic event in the sense that it’s the opportunity to bring what is probably the most premier, exclusive content to users for free and really provide an ultimate football experience in that regard," said Cahan, Yahoo's SVP of product and engineering, video, design, and emerging products. "We definitely see this as a historic step in a broader shift," he added. "It’s a very different approach than the NFL has taken in the past. You don’t need any authentication, no cable, none of that.

And that’s really exciting to be part of." Yahoo is also very confident that it'll have no problems broadcasting a reliable stream to a global audience. Streaming other massive events like the Royal Wedding, Michael Jackson's funeral, and concerts from Taylor Swift and Dave Matthews have helped the company bolster its native video capabilities.

So after the last whistle is blown, how will the NFL decide whether this over-the-top experiment was a success or failure? "There’s no distinct metric, but for us, our goal and our aspiration is to be one of the leading live events streamed globally," said Shah. "We have very high expectations." Once the NFL season gets underway, the October 25th event will be hard to ignore. Both the NFL and Yahoo plan to promote it constantly, and Cahan said it will be featured front and center on Yahoo's prized home page when the big day rolls around.

Yahoo will stream an NFL game for the entire world this October Yahoo, not YouTube, will be part of the NFL's big streaming experiment

We now know who will be partnering with the NFL for the league's first-ever global (and completely free) live stream: it's Yahoo. Having come out ahead of Google's YouTube and other video services that reportedly vied for the honor, Yahoo will broadcast the October 25th International Series game between the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars from London's Wembley Stadium. Unless you live in either team's home market, Yahoo will be your one and only option for watching the Week 7 game.

The stream will be available across desktop, smartphones, set-top boxes, and smart TVs, and all of Yahoo's biggest properties (Yahoo.com, Yahoo Sports, and Tumblr) will be pointing users to it on game day. You choose how to watch the stream: it'll be accessible by web and also through the company's video-focused apps like Yahoo Screen.

Kickoff is scheduled for 9:30AM ET in the United States, which could lead to smaller ratings than your typical Sunday afternoon game. And yes, there will be ads. Yahoo sees this as a big opportunity to flex its advertising muscle and attract big-name sponsors, and from that perspective you should expect the game to resemble most TV broadcasts in the amount of ads you'll see on screen through four quarters. Both Yahoo and the NFL plan to market this as a monumental moment for the league — because it is.

THIS IS ONE GAME YOU WON'T SEE ON CABLE

BillsVsJags_London.0.jpg

A promotional image for the NFL's October 25th International Series game

For the NFL: a distribution experiment

TV networks have been live-streaming the Super Bowl to web viewers for several years now, but this marks the first time the NFL itself is taking the plunge and, for one day only, shutting cable partners out of the mix. Realistically speaking, networks like CBS and FOX don't need to worry about losing America's biggest sport to Yahoo, YouTube, or anyone else for many years; they've got rights for Sunday games locked up through 2022. Similarly, ESPN's Monday Night Football is also guaranteed to be a weekly ritual for at least seven more years. If anything, Thursday Night Football presents the best opportunity for streaming services to get into the game. NFL Network airs eight of those games each season, with CBS getting the other half. That arrangement will carry through 2015, but what happens after this year is less certain.

BUT FOOTBALL ISN'T LEAVING YOUR TV

For right now, the International Series presented a unique opportunity for the NFL to make history, even if it's a one-off. "We’ve had national windows before, but not necessarily a global window," said Vishal Shah, the NFL's VP of digital media business development. According to Shah, fans shouldn't notice any difference between this and any other regular season game when it comes to polish and presentation. "It will look and feel and be delivered to the fans traditionally as a high-quality production would go. The talent, the storylines, the knowledge base of both the commentators and the ability to access information are going to be there."

CBS is handling production duties for the football end of things, with Yahoo obviously focused on streaming and promotion. Over a billion people visit Yahoo's various properties each month — with half of those visits from mobile devices. "The expectation is that just given the breadth of the reach and the breadth of the distribution, this really has the potential of being one of the leading live-streaming events that has been delivered via the internet," said Shah. It's a regular season NFL game, after all. People will be watching — even at 9:30 in the morning.

For Yahoo: doing good in the eyes of sports fans (and advertisers)

Yahoo views itself as the NFL's ideal match for numerous reasons. First, it's got enormous global reach as Shah mentioned. Second, it's capable of putting content on just about any platform or device. And third, it's already got a strong connection with sports fans thanks to Yahoo Sports and a massively popular fantasy sports platform with over 16 million loyal users. But even then, the company had to compete for the October 25th game. Yahoo's Adam Cahan told The Verge that the NFL's plan to stream a game worldwide, which was first outlined last year, attracted "active participation by a number of different players." Other sources familiar with the process said that the Silicon Valley mainstays you'd expect were all eager for a chance to be the NFL's link between Wembley and internet users. If YouTube executives are throwing chairs somewhere, the mood is definitely far more celebratory at Yahoo's headquarters.

A HUGE WIN FOR MARISSA MAYER'S YAHOO

"From our perspective, it’s a really historic event in the sense that it’s the opportunity to bring what is probably the most premier, exclusive content to users for free and really provide an ultimate football experience in that regard," said Cahan, Yahoo's SVP of product and engineering, video, design, and emerging products. "We definitely see this as a historic step in a broader shift," he added. "It’s a very different approach than the NFL has taken in the past. You don’t need any authentication, no cable, none of that. And that’s really exciting to be part of." Yahoo is also very confident that it'll have no problems broadcasting a reliable stream to a global audience. Streaming other massive events like the Royal Wedding, Michael Jackson's funeral, and concerts from Taylor Swift and Dave Matthews have helped the company bolster its native video capabilities.

So after the last whistle is blown, how will the NFL decide whether this over-the-top experiment was a success or failure? "There’s no distinct metric, but for us, our goal and our aspiration is to be one of the leading live events streamed globally," said Shah. "We have very high expectations." Once the NFL season gets underway, the October 25th event will be hard to ignore. Both the NFL and Yahoo plan to promote it constantly, and Cahan said it will be featured front and center on Yahoo's prized home page when the big day rolls around.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/3/8713541/nfl-yahoo-free-football-streaming-october-25

Too little too late. The NFL has been absolutely ****in terrible when it comes to the streaming game. Truth of the matter is that the NFL has been playing the same game that Comcast has; in that they have been clinging on to the old broadcasting model with their fingernails while not doing much to set up infrastructure for the transition they need to make. When they do eventually realize they waited too long, it's going to be a real pain in the ass for viewers. JMO

Too little too late. The NFL has been absolutely ****in terrible when it comes to the streaming game. Truth of the matter is that the NFL has been playing the same game that Comcast has; in that they have been clinging on to the old broadcasting model with their fingernails while not doing much to set up infrastructure for the transition they need to make. When they do eventually realize they waited too long, it's going to be a real pain in the ass for viewers. JMO

The NFL actually does streaming and its way better than the trash that direct tv provides.  The problem is that due to the direct tv contract they can't allow access to it from the United States.  If you vpn to nfl.com/gamepass from another country you can sign up and pay for just your favorite team games or you can sign up and pay for every game from every team.

The quality is absolutely amazing for HD streaming NFL games just as long as you have a good internet service provider and good bandiwidth provided.

So, Goodell's trying to grow the sport by streaming it on a website that will reach far fewer people than his other option.  And we've been doubting this man's brilliance the last few years.  

I don't understand this line.  This is the best way to reach the biggest market for a game that is already being played internationally.

Its a global accessible website that also will be broadcast to computers, smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, pretty much everything that Yahoo touches.  I would have preferred Google myself but we'll see how Yahoo handles the load because one thing is for sure, there won't be too few people using this service for that game.  

The NFL actually does streaming and its way better than the trash that direct tv provides. The problem is that due to the direct tv contract they can't allow access to it from the United States. If you vpn to nfl.com/gamepass from another country you can sign up and pay for just your favorite team games or you can sign up and pay for every game from every team.

The quality is absolutely amazing for HD streaming NFL games just as long as you have a good internet service provider and good bandiwidth provided.

Their medium is terrible. It's a cable based service which goes against everything that streaming is already and is moving towards. The fact that they still don't offer some sort of league pass like MLB and the NBA do is a complete joke. And their stances on YouTube have been akin to that of bitter old dudes in their 70s. It's 2015 and they are the only sport that doesn't do this sh*t.

The entire world could care two sh*ts less about the NFL. Stop trying to make fetch happen Goodell.

This has never had anything to do with getting the world to care about football. This is an experimental run to see if people in the States will watch football at 9:30 in the morning without having to sacrifice much off the back end. That's always been the point of the London expansion. Not gaining a London audience, but getting you to watch more Peyton Manning ads while you're eating breakfast.

I think this experiment would be more successful if it was a game featuring two teams that weren't both in the bottom 3 markets in the country. Its almost as if the NFL wants this to fail. 

They also have the Jets vs Dolphins and Chiefs vs. Lions. 

How about you stream all three games and see how many people tune in?

Please do not mention Comcast again.  When I read that somebody goes into a place of business and goes berserk I am horrified.  Upon hearing that place of business was Comcast my response is "Ah, now I understand"

Please do not mention Comcast again.  When I read that somebody goes into a place of business and goes berserk I am horrified.  Upon hearing that place of business was Comcast my response is "Ah, now I understand"

Comcast, the Post Office, and the DMV. Hit all those in a day, and you've essentially lived out Dante's Inferno.

Comcast, the Post Office, and the DMV. Hit all those in a day, and you've essentially lived out Dante's Inferno.

Usually I just talk to them on the phone.  This results in the family asking why I am screaming random profanity while soothing hold Muzak plays in the background.  I have lived down here 3 years and they have not gotten my bill right two months in a row yet.

I think this experiment would be more successful if it was a game featuring two teams that weren't both in the bottom 3 markets in the country. Its almost as if the NFL wants this to fail.

I think the logic behind putting a crappy game on is more about minimizing the risk on the first try. Bills/Jags is a game that would have only been on in the local markets and gotten poor ratings anyways. For a first attempt, I suspect their logic was to see how many people will watch outside the local markets and probably more importantly make sure the stream works and assess potential problems.

This has never had anything to do with getting the world to care about football. This is an experimental run to see if people in the States will watch football at 9:30 in the morning without having to sacrifice much off the back end. That's always been the point of the London expansion. Not gaining a London audience, but getting you to watch more Peyton Manning ads while you're eating breakfast.

Interesting, I loathe the NFL.

I'm glad baseball sh*ts on them in the streaming department. They're a decade behind there, and they probably won't even feel it.

Usually I just talk to them on the phone.  This results in the family asking why I am screaming random profanity while soothing hold Muzak plays in the background.  I have lived down here 3 years and they have not gotten my bill right two months in a row yet.

Do the online chat, trust me on this one. Nobody has caught on to this one still, so there are no wait times, you can talk at your leisure, and you have a record to copy and paste over if they transfer you to someone else. Plus you wind up not getting frustrated and yelling, which helps because the person on the other end doesn't tune you out.

Coincidentally this is the next venture for Facebook. Their logic is that people hate dealing with tech support, so they're trying to set it up so you can contact companies through your messenger and talk to them leisurely throughout your day. Plus you'll have a permanent record. No clue if it's going to work but it's an interesting idea.

I think the logic behind putting a crappy game on is more about minimizing the risk on the first try. Bills/Jags is a game that would have only been on in the local markets and gotten poor ratings anyways. For a first attempt, I suspect their logic was to see how many people will watch outside the local markets and probably more importantly make sure the stream works and assess potential problems.

I would think you would want just the opposite. You'd want two teams that have appeal outside their local market. 

Interesting, I loathe the NFL.

I'm glad baseball sh*ts on them in the streaming department. They're a decade behind there, and they probably won't even feel it.

Baseball is going to be doing really, really amazing in about 10 years. Manfred is uber progressive on streaming and speeding up the game. He's the first guy in any position of power in sports who doesn't sound like he's kidding himself about the fact that we're all streaming this sh*t for free anyways.

So, Goodell's trying to grow the sport by streaming it on a website that will reach far fewer people than his other option. And we've been doubting this man's brilliance the last few years.

Yahoo in its different versions reaches over a billion users per month Vinny

Do the online chat, trust me on this one. Nobody has caught on to this one still, so there are no wait times, you can talk at your leisure, and you have a record to copy and paste over if they transfer you to someone else. Plus you wind up not getting frustrated and yelling, which helps because the person on the other end doesn't tune you out.

Coincidentally this is the next venture for Facebook. Their logic is that people hate dealing with tech support, so they're trying to set it up so you can contact companies through your messenger and talk to them leisurely throughout your day. Plus you'll have a permanent record. No clue if it's going to work but it's an interesting idea.

Dear God, I do that all the time.  They are always asking if I am still there while I run around the house screaming.  I used to try to do it after hours at work so that nobody could here me.  They are always so polite and always adding the credit to my next month's bill.  Then the month after they try to make it up by charging me for some free trial or change in promotion that I never was getting in the first place.  I am in a building and comcast is the only choice.  Sometimes I fool them into thinking I have other options. 

I would think you would want just the opposite. You'd want two teams that have appeal outside their local market. 

Maybe. Put Pats/Cowboys on in week 5 and sure, more people will tune in. But if the stream has problems, you're ****ed. Less risky to do a live test with something that wasn't going to make you a ton of money (relatively) in the first place.

Dear God, I do that all the time.  They are always asking if I am still there while I run around the house screaming.  I used to try to do it after hours at work so that nobody could here me.  They are always so polite and always adding the credit to my next month's bill.  Then the month after they try to make it up by charging me for some free trial or change in promotion that I never was getting in the first place.  I am in a building and comcast is the only choice.  Sometimes I fool them into thinking I have other options. 

We cut the cord after last football season. It's been great. Live sports in HD can be a bit of a pain, but that's really been the only hiccup. about 4 months in and I can say it's definitely been worth it.

We cut the cord after last football season. It's been great. Live sports in HD can be a bit of a pain, but that's really been the only hiccup. about 4 months in and I can say it's definitely been worth it.

You don't understand.  They are also basically the only internet provider.

Baseball is going to be doing really, really amazing in about 10 years. Manfred is uber progressive on streaming and speeding up the game. He's the first guy in any position of power in sports who doesn't sound like he's kidding himself about the fact that we're all streaming this sh*t for free anyways.

Yep, I've been enjoying that baseball is on the rebound in so many areas. Internationally it's catching up to basketball...still behind, but way less than imagined...their programs to get black American kids into the sport are getting results....they crush in the streaming department...America eats baseball stat porn....

You know what the best part is? The Cubs are becoming the new headliner.

The worst? Manfred and the owners are going to dominate the players at every level, already are, if the players don't start acting 3+ years ago.

Their medium is terrible. It's a cable based service which goes against everything that streaming is already and is moving towards. The fact that they still don't offer some sort of league pass like MLB and the NBA do is a complete joke. And their stances on YouTube have been akin to that of bitter old dudes in their 70s. It's 2015 and they are the only sport that doesn't do this sh*t.

I don't get the point of your first sentence so I can't speak on that.  They do have league passes, they don't have the ability to sell them in the states and Mexico until their Direct TV contract is up.  So you have to wait at least another 6 years.  I couldn't buy a playoff package for NHL so I'm not sure why you think the NFL are the only ones that have to abide by TV contracts.  All sports are blacked out locally, including streaming if you reside in the same market that the game is played on local TV or ESPN.  Whether you have access to ESPN or the local TV channels.

I agree the MLB package is by far the best sports streaming solution and I'd hope they have been taking a long look at how to do streaming for a sports medium (especially the multiple camera angles choice).  But the NFL Gamepass is still the best NFL streaming package, it connects with fantasy football, allows you to watch multiple games at one time, allows you to adjust the quality of the stream for better image quality or performance and takes a short no commercial break when the local advertising starts.

The NFL and DirecTV announced Wednesday it had extended their relationship. Terms weren't disclosed, but a source with knowledge of the deal said the deal is for eight years and the rights fee was worth an average of $1.5 billion a year, up 50 percent from the $1 billion a year average DirecTV will pay through this season.

The most important part of the deal is the Sunday Ticket package, which gives DirecTV the exclusive right to air out-of-market games. The new deal also allows DirecTV to offer Sunday Ticket on mobile devices and over broadband and continue its non-exclusive broadcasting of the popular Red Zone Channel.

"We are pleased to continue our partnership with DirecTV," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket have served our fans well for 20 years and continue to complement our broadcast television packages."

DirecTV uses the Sunday Ticket Package to woo fans who can't do without the programming during the football season, though an argument can be made that the Red Zone Channel, available on other carriers, might have lessened that appeal to fans not interested in watching whole games.

"The new agreement is a testament to the terrific long-term relationship we have with the NFL and its millions of fans across the country," said Mike White, DirecTV's chairman, president and CEO. "NFL Sunday Ticket has always been the centerpiece of DirecTV's sports leadership and we're pleased to continue our relationship with the NFL and be a part of the league's future growth and success."

Counting the DirecTV agreement into the other new long-term TV deals that the NFL and its broadcast partners have entered into, the league will be pulling in an average of $6.45 billion a year in television rights -- and that doesn't include the worth of the Thursday Night package, which CBS agreed to pay a reported $275 million for this year alone.

I don't know if they controlled streaming, got rid of TV contracts that they could still make just shy of 7 billion dollars a year in subscriptions.  TV contracts pays the bills.  What they need to do is stop exclusive contracts and just sell the rights to broadcast/stream non-exclusively at some point.

I don't get the point of your first sentence so I can't speak on that.

Got it. Here's the deal. The NFL, in 2015, is only experimenting with streaming off cable right now. And they're patting themselves on the back for this. In 2015. I can't even begin to explain how much of a joke that is, and how much it shows the degrees to which this league is behind the times.

Got it. Here's the deal. The NFL, in 2015, is only experimenting with streaming off cable right now. And they're patting themselves on the back for this. In 2015. I can't even begin to explain how much of a joke that is, and how much it shows the degrees to which this league is behind the times.

It's like, about the money, man.

Archived