Time to vote - Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick? (Oct 2)

EM31

Who should be the starting QB of the Jets and if a change needs to be made, when?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start after the bye week?

• Ryan Fitzpatrick is the starter and should start for the rest of the year or until injured
    • Geno Smith is the starter and should start for the rest of the year or until injured
    • Fitzpatrick should start for now but change to Geno based on W/L record
    • Other
  2. 2. If we change based on record?

• 2-2 or any .500 record should trigger the change
    • Under .500 (2-3 or 3-4 etc.)
    • Two or more 2-4 or more games under .500
    • Go to Petty or Geno if we are mathematically eliminated

Im really curious about genos potential away from rex ryan however this is fitz's shot so i believe in the beard until he proves me wrong. If he plays poorly in london it gets tricky because this is probably the best time to make a switch if they are going to. We'll find out soon i guess

What do you think happens if Fitz plays poorly (similar to last week) but we still get the win and enter the bye 3-1?  Who would start week 6 in that scenario?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personal attacks, LOL.

Calling someone a troll when their behavior indicates that they are being a troll is not a personal attack.  This type of response is exactly what I'm talking about.  You have no rebuttal as to why you act like a dick every single time you quote me.  You just give a childish reply and add "LOL" to it.  That is trolling. Again, piss off.

What do you think happens if Fitz plays poorly (similar to last week) but we still get the win and enter the bye 3-1?  Who would start week 6 in that scenario?

Geno.  The coaches aren't going to risk losing games we SHOULD win by starting a quarterback who is an implosion waiting to happen.  If that's the case you see what you have in the young kid to see if he can take the next step. The big picture is they can both implode, but one of the two can take the team to a completely different level. The other is just going to drag the ship down.  It's a decent sized risk, but in a year where the expectations aren't sky high and you're trying to figure out what you have, you can afford to take that chance because the reward can be huge.

Good question hah i really dont know. I think we still have a lot to learn about Bowles. My guess would be no change unless its an absolute stinker where Fitz throw a bunch of ridiculous picks and we win simply because of defense and special teams. If he throws 2 picks and 2 tds and we win i think we will stick with him. l just know that we should really should beat this dolphins team and that ill be rooting for whatever qb is out there and for the rest of the season.

Geno.  The coaches aren't going to risk losing games we SHOULD win by starting a quarterback who is an implosion waiting to happen.  If that's the case you see what you have in the young kid to see if he can take the next step. The big picture is they can both implode, but one of the two can take the team to a completely different level. The other is just going to drag the ship down.

I agree.  However not sure what Bowles is thinking.  

If I had to guess, Fitz will have a better game than last week.  Ivory and perhaps Decker will see to that.  Having those two back will allow Gailey to call a more Fitz-friendly game.  I just hope Fitz can play well in that scenario w/o the coaching staff deciding to move forward with that limited approach.

Calling someone a troll when their behavior indicates that they are being a troll is not a personal attack.  This type of response is exactly what I'm talking about.  You have no rebuttal as to why you act like a dick every single time you quote me.  You just give a childish reply and add "LOL" to it.  That is trolling. Again, piss off.

Wow, the stress is getting to you.

It's tough carrying Geno's jock, huh?

Good question hah i really dont know. I think we still have a lot to learn about Bowles. My guess would be no change unless its an absolute stinker where Fitz throw a bunch of ridiculous picks and we win simply because of defense and special teams. If he throws 2 picks and 2 tds and we win i think we will stick with him. l just know that we should really should beat this dolphins team and that ill be rooting for whatever qb is out there and for the rest of the season.

In a scenario of 2 TDs and 2 INTs that also includes things that don't show up on stat sheets (making wrong reads that result in missing open WRs or not taking obvious running yards) I really hope they make the change to Geno, but definitely agree to root for whoever is under center any given week.  Fitz is a good guy you want to see succeed.

Only one player to ever wear a Jet uniform I rooted against.  Don't even want to mention his name, but a hint would be that he thought he was a QB and was recently released from Philly.

Wow, the stress is getting to you.

It's tough carrying Geno's jock, huh?

Not at all lmao, this is the internet.  Slightly annoyed?  Yeah.  I'll live though. I'm gonna just go ahead and report you and ignore you after this reply. You clearly just want to get a rise out of me and I'm not going to entertain you anymore.  

I agree.  However not sure what Bowles is thinking.  

If I had to guess, Fitz will have a better game than last week.  Ivory and perhaps Decker will see to that.  Having those two back will allow Gailey to call a more Fitz-friendly game.  I just hope Fitz can play well in that scenario w/o the coaching staff deciding to move forward with that limited approach.

I have no idea what this week holds for Fitz but I think barring a dominating/great performance we will see an evaluation of the position during the bye. It just makes sense.  The big question is are the coaches content with their season being dependent on everything being perfect so they can call a "Fitz-friendly" game.  Only they know that. 

I think they make the switch if the team overcomes Fitz' errors and wins. The writing would be on the wall that teams have figured out the Fitz led Jets and that makes it that much harder to pull out victories. 

The plus with Geno is that he is dangerous with his legs and has a stronger arm than Fitz. It does make the D a little more apprehensive to stack the box and take away the running game and center field. 

The knock on Geno, as we all know, is the decision making. If Fitz is throwing picks just like Geno does, there is no upside to having Fitz in there. His plus is that he should be calmer and more of a game mgr. Throwing ducks to the endzone for picks is not why we want Fitz in there.  

Fitz plays well and he stays the starter.  This is a big game outside of the AFC east ramifications. 

I think they make the switch if the team overcomes Fitz' errors and wins. The writing would be on the wall that teams have figured out the Fitz led Jets and that makes it that much harder to pull out victories. 

The plus with Geno is that he is dangerous with his legs and has a stronger arm than Fitz. It does make the D a little more apprehensive to stack the box and take away the running game and center field. 

The knock on Geno, as we all know, is the decision making. If Fitz is throwing picks just like Geno does, there is no upside to having Fitz in there. His plus is that he should be calmer and more of a game mgr. Throwing ducks to the endzone for picks is not why we want Fitz in there.  

Fitz plays well and he stays the starter.  This is a big game outside of the AFC east ramifications. 

This is how I see it. 

Geno was their starter, and I have to think that Gailey would still like to get him under center. Geno finished his first two seasons strongly. The explanation for those strong finishes from the folks done with him is that Geno performed well when there was no longer any pressure on him. So the argument to wait until until the Jets are a couple games under .500, or all the way out of contention, to start Geno is a poor one. If Geno has another strong finish in meaningless games, that same question will hang over him - and the franchise. Better to get him out on the field in games that matter. Next year is the last year of Geno's contract. Be good to know where he and the team stand. 

That said, if Fitzpatrick bounces back and plays well this week, they should continue to ride him. But if he plays poorly, and his physical limitations continue to be obvious, even with a win they should look to use the bye to prepare Geno to start week 6 against Washington. Nice tune-up opportunity before the Pats the following week. 

If the Jets are 3-1 heading into the bye (which not many would have expected based on the schedule), there is no way they change the QB. That's a tough sell to the fans, the team, and the media. And it makes going back when Geno inevitably falters that much harder. Bowles is a rookie coach and how he handles this current situation will say a lot about him going forward and it will influence Mac's ability to get veteran free agents to come in. It has to be handled delicately and lightly. I mean, look at what happened when Rex made a switch at QB when Sanchez struggled for a bit. He had to go back to him and it made him look worse. Bowles has to tread the water here lightly for a rabid fan base looking to stop be so terrible. 

too bad he cant read a defense or throw the deep ball accurately. Oh and I forgot about the multiple pics and fumbles. 

The people who know everything now act like Geno > Marino

i supported Geno and the coaches when Geno was the starter but Fitz  is the qb now if he continues to suck Geno will get a chance

This is how I see it. 

Geno was their starter, and I have to think that Gailey would still like to get him under center. Geno finished his first two seasons strongly. The explanation for those strong finishes from the folks done with him is that Geno performed well when there was no longer any pressure on him. So the argument to wait until until the Jets are a couple games under .500, or all the way out of contention, to start Geno is a poor one. If Geno has another strong finish in meaningless games, that same question will hang over him - and the franchise. Better to get him out on the field in games that matter. Next year is the last year of Geno's contract. Be good to know where he and the team stand. 

That said, if Fitzpatrick bounces back and plays well this week, they should continue to ride him. But if he plays poorly, and his physical limitations continue to be obvious, even with a win they should look to use the bye to prepare Geno to start week 6 against Washington. Nice tune-up opportunity before the Pats the following week. 

It's the non emotional and rational way to view things. Thinking that Geno sucks when he has never played with the bevy of weapons the Jets have this year is limited thinking. He has plenty of upside and is a young, immature player who has played for an immature coach his whole career. A coach who has not put any real emphasis on offensive potency or growth. 

This staff seem to me to be level headed and intelligent.  No reason to make a switch if Fitz is managing the game successfully and the offense is clicking, but if he falters, it also makes no sense to stick with the aging vet who may only be capable of being solid for one or two games a clip. 

The optimal situation for me personally would be for Fitz to sh*t the bed while the Jets defense rides 4 turnovers to a victory. Prompting the Jets to make the switch at the bye week. All the while getting Sheldon back in the lineup and giving both he and Geno two weeks to physically and mentally prepare for Washington. Another game the Jets "should" win. 

If the offense is anemic again this week it could really be an emotional boost to get the young athletic QB back under center as well.

The people who know everything now act like Geno > Marino

i supported Geno and the coaches when Geno was the starter but Fitz  is the qb now if he continues to suck Geno will get a chance

The simple way of saying it. :D

The question is... for how long do you think they allow Fitz to suck before making the switch. No time quite like a bye week to do it I always say  (since right now) 

It's the non emotional and rational way to view things. Thinking that Geno sucks when he has never played with the bevy of weapons the Jets have this year is limited thinking. He has plenty of upside and is a young, immature player who has played for an immature coach his whole career. A coach who has not put any real emphasis on offensive potency or growth. 

This staff seem to me to be level headed and intelligent.  No reason to make a switch if Fitz is managing the game successfully and the offense is clicking, but if he falters, it also makes no sense to stick with the aging vet who may only be capable of being solid for one or two games a clip. 

The optimal situation for me personally would be for Fitz to sh*t the bed while the Jets defense rides 4 turnovers to a victory. Prompting the Jets to make the switch at the bye week. All the while getting Sheldon back in the lineup and giving both he and Geno two weeks to physically and mentally prepare for Washington. Another game the Jets "should" win. 

If the offense is anemic again this week it could really be an emotional boost to get the young athletic QB back under center as well.

How and why does Geno have any upside? Geno fans like to repeat things hoping they become true. 

It's like fans of a band who keep releasing sh*tty albums. 'Yeah, but they're super talented'. Well, after a while, they aren't. 

How and why does Geno have any upside? Geno fans like to repeat things hoping they become true. 

It's like fans of a band who keep releasing sh*tty albums. 'Yeah, but they're super talented'. Well, after a while, they aren't. 

Agreed. After a while they aren't.  What does one consider "a while" would be the question I guess.  

How can we call a rookie year when he wasn't even supposed to start with no weapons, and a second year with almost zero weapons (unless you consider david Nelson and Clyde gates weapons) a true evaluation period. 

I'm no Geno lover. Believe me. But I'm also not drunk and that helps me see things rather clearly. To say that Geno Smith has no upside is beyond me. The guy has a solid arm and true ability to escape pressure and gain yards or points with his legs. 

His biggest problem has been decision making. Whether holding the ball too long or throwing ridiculous passes into coverage or being baited by the DB's. That lends itself more to coaching deficiencies which we all know we had on the offensive side of the ball. 

Hey, maybe the guy is dumb as a box of rocks and will never amount to anything no matter who the coaches are, but we should at least know that before torching the place and calling it a day. 

Fitz, who is a nice vet backup who I'm happy is a Jet, has zero upside and is what he is. 

That's my short answer   :D

Interesting that there are more responses to question-2 than question-1.

It seems there is little real appetite to switch to Geno Smith unless things go south (or seriously south) under Fitzpatrick. My own sense is that the minority of people who like Geno really really like what they see as the potential of Geno but the majority of Jets fans prefer "none of the above" as our QB.

Interesting also that for those with a firm opinion on a starter for the rest of the year,  that Ryan Fitzpatrick beats Geno by 3:2.  I doubt there is that much love for Fitzpatrick in the world and that this probably represents the feelings of the group who thinks that Geno should never play another down for this team.

So if the plan is to start Geno week 6 if Fitz has another underwhelming game, do you think Bowles factors in that week 6 is a home game?  Given how many fans dislike him (seems like 75%+ here do), it may be better to let Geno play a bit before playing at home.  You know, perhaps come in tomorrow after the half and light up Miami's D for a couple TDs. 

So if the plan is to start Geno week 6 if Fitz has another underwhelming game, do you think Bowles factors in that week 6 is a home game?  Given how many fans dislike him (seems like 75%+ here do), it may be better to let Geno play a bit before playing at home.  You know, perhaps come in tomorrow after the half and light up Miami's D for a couple TDs. 

thought you were gonna head the other direction at first ... Was gonna say even with home crowd booing you it gives you better chances than playing in NE or in Oak

thought you were gonna head the other direction at first ... Was gonna say even with home crowd booing you it gives you better chances than playing in NE or in Oak

If week 7 wasn't in NE, think I'd be cool with a plan to make Geno's first start on the road.  But that's just too much to ask of the guy.  It'll take a great game from whoever is the QB vs NE to win.  Geno is without a doubt gonna have some rust, so better to have him play vs Wash first, even if it means dealing with unhappy fans.

Interesting that there are more responses to question-2 than question-1.

It seems there is little real appetite to switch to Geno Smith unless things go south (or seriously south) under Fitzpatrick. My own sense is that the minority of people who like Geno really really like what they see as the potential of Geno but the majority of Jets fans prefer "none of the above" as our QB.

Interesting also that for those with a firm opinion on a starter for the rest of the year,  that Ryan Fitzpatrick beats Geno by 3:2.  I doubt there is that much love for Fitzpatrick in the world and that this probably represents the feelings of the group who thinks that Geno should never play another down for this team.

lol you spend way too much time thinking about geno smith. Go a day without saying his name I dare you

lol you spend way too much time thinking about geno smith. Go a day without saying his name I dare you

I think i went several days without commenting on any of these threads.  I doubt you can say the same.

Seeing that they were still alive and well without me is what caused me to put up this poll in the first place.

Pretty sad that less than one in 5 share your view about who should start given that we are all Jets fans and we have all seen the same "evidence" as you.   Never mind.  Talking l;louder and longer will certainly make up for the fact that you are in a small minority here.  Keep it up by all means.

Two basically useless responses in a row. I sometimes wonder why people are on this board when all they want to do is try to inflame situations and make discussions into arguments. Why not just contribute to the discussion or go to TMZ and join the legions of people who are trashing this weeks version of Brittany Spears? 

There's no way we win the next two if Fitz puts up those kinds of statistics... so that's a moot point.

with 3ints and 1 TD. We were 7 points away from a tie ballgame. 

It's possible and we'll see it too this year with our D. 

Geno won't see the field against Miami unless Fitz gets injured. To think otherwise at this juncture is really kind of silly. The Jets will beat the Dolphins and there won't be a QB controversy, and there isn't one now. 

Archived