WR Walter Powell signed off the Bills practice squad by.....

ARodJetsFan

The Oakland Raiders to be their Kick Returner.

I was high on this kid since the pre-season and naturally he was waived.

I thought this kid could be a playmaker for us, but apparently for whatever reason, it was not meant to be.

Now we will get to see what Powell does for the Oakland Raiders.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/10/16/raiders-add-returner-walter-powell-from-bills-practice-squad.html

I sit still don't get why we didn't use him.  It was the one move that pissed me off!!!

The thing that has been interesting is that we released him off of his good preseason. And nobody else picked him up. We resigned him.

But to be honest, KR is becoming a position that is less and less needed in the NFL

The Oakland Raiders to be their Kick Returner.

I was high on this kid since the pre-season and naturally he was waived.

I thought this kid could be a playmaker for us, but apparently for whatever reason, it was not meant to be.

Now we will get to see what Powell does for the Oakland Raiders.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/10/16/raiders-add-returner-walter-powell-from-bills-practice-squad.html

I was really high on Powell too, but I think it came down to him or Owusu and the Jets felt Owusu was a more polished WR.  I felt that way too and would have liked to keep them both, but it didnt work out.  I think if Powell turns dynamic for them and Owusu remains like all of his previous years...injured, this will be a disappointing decision.  However, hard to complain too much with our WR depth.  We just have a lot of talent there, IMO.  It is what it is.  I think this team will be even better on O and on special teams when Owusu returns. 

The thing that has been interesting is that we released him off of his good preseason. And nobody else picked him up. We resigned him.

But to be honest, KR is becoming a position that is less and less needed in the NFL

You are correct.   However, Zac Stacy has to be the worst returner in the league.   He is stupifyingly slow.

I would have gave him Enunwa's roster spot in a heartbeat.

Well that's because you don't really know what you're talking about. Enunwa is basically a starter at the hybrid WR/TE position. Powell brought nothing to the table except return ability. Not something you can waste a roster spot with in today's NFL. 

You certainly can use a spot for a punt returner. I could care less about kick returns anymore.

The thing is that you'd need to be really worth keeping, and I don't think Powell is significantly better than Kerley.

I'm still not happy that we didn't use a late pick on a punt returner, or even a few FAs. Preferably a third down back type. These guys can be found in small schools like Woodhead. A lot of them never even get a chance, and are now asking if you want fries with that. Why we didn't even try any is beyond me. We could use some gunners as well.

If we were grading Mac on special teams I'd give him a D-

No I'd just cut Kerley, Powells deep speed keeps I'm a threat, even has 5th WR. I'm also not been impressed with our HB/WR Enunwa. 

You can't just cut Kerley with his contract.  And Enunwa is huge in the running game. Just ask Chris Ivory. Powell isn't a good receiver or else he would a have made SOME team. 

He'll dress and be one of their captains when we play 

All Powell is going to do is handle the punt and kick return for the Raiders.( basically the role Andre Dubose was drafted for- blew out his Achilles in training camp).    They already lost their best cover CB Tj Carrie ( was playing safety) returning punts.  Now Amari  Cooper was assuming that role- too risky to take a chance of getting him injured doing that job

I liked Powell, too, but not being able to hold onto him is a first world problem. And the Jets having first world problems at WR is a good thing. They like Owusu better than him, Kerley provides experienced depth (who also serves as the punt returner and emergency QB), and they like Ewunwa -with his size and willingness to block- better than either of them. There just wasn't room for Powell and, ultimately, that's a good thing. 

Archived