Dakota Dozier Status

AFJF

Some of you know I'm a big Dozier fan based largely on what I've read about him because let's be honest...not a lot of film to watch on him.

JetNation did this interview with his former O-line coach who raved about him http://www.jetnation.com/2015/06/29/new-york-jets-dakota-dozier-hes-a-special-person-and-a-special-player/

I think the new regime clearly likes him based on how they handled him this season.

When Mangold got hurt they passed him over and promoted Wesley Johnson, so even though they liked Johnson as the more game-ready player, they kept Dozier on the 53.  

Then when they needed a roster spot later in the season, they moved their own pick, Jarvis Harrison, to the PS rather than leaving Dozier exposed to get poached.

High character, good agility for a guy his size...really hoping he's in the mix for a spot on the O-line next season.

Good thought and the attitude all Jet fans should have this offseason.  We should
be rooting for the players on the back end of the roster to fill some of our
holes.  By doing that we can use our resources (cap $$$ and picks) in other places.
Personally I'm hoping that:

- Dozier, Harrison or Winters takes the RG spot

- Qvale can take the RT spot

- Amaro, Saxton, Sudfeld and/or Bostick can overhaul the TE spot

- Deon Simon can be in the NT rotation

- Taiwan Jones can take the ILB spot next to Harris

- Deon Barnes can be in the OLB rotation

Doubtful it will all happen but if a few of those players develop it will help
Maccagnan & Bowles immensely in putting the roster together

Plus he has that Bull Dozier nickname just waiting to happen. 

This is the biggest thing. It would be such a waste if he never gets into a game.

I feel like there's a lot of chatter about Dozier being groomed to take over for Mangold. Is any of that coming from the team, or is it just folks here speculating?

Dozier is still on the roster?

Was on the roster all season.  Played a couple snaps when Mangold got hurt.  FO kept him on the roster and shuffled other guys to/from practice squad, including Harrison who they drafted.  Main reason I was wondering what they have in mind for him.  Could've easily left him exposed on PS but instead put Johnson and Harrison on PS while keeping Dozier on 53.  My guess would be that he's not ready now, but they view him as the better long term prospect.  If not, handling him the way they did makes little sense.

Was on the roster all season.  Played a couple snaps when Mangold got hurt.  FO kept him on the roster and shuffled other guys to/from practice squad, including Harrison who they drafted.  Main reason I was wondering what they have in mind for him.  Could've easily left him exposed on PS but instead put Johnson and Harrison on PS while keeping Dozier on 53.  My guess would be that he's not ready now, but they view him as the better long term prospect.  If not, handling him the way they did makes little sense.

I was joking. Sheesh.

This is the kind of guy that completely scares me.  They kept him on the roster, but he was never really in the mix to compete at G or T.  He took snaps at C and it seemed they would use him as an emergency guy while he developed, but when Mangold went down they went right to Johnson.  The way Johnson played, it seems that Dozier must be fairly horrid at C.  They kept him on the roster all season, so there must be something there, but he only played 4 snaps on O and like another 10 on specials.  Qvale played 31 snaps on O and was basically a "starter" on specials.  I had hopes for him this year, but the fact that Amaro, Dozier and McDougle basically did not compete this year is scary. These were guys we were counting on in 2014 and they still need development?  Uh oh.

I would say something similar about Rontez Miles.  He looked pretty good when he got some time, but the kid has been with the team for years and was here all offseason.  When they needed bodies at safety they passed him right over for Seahawks cast-offs - first Ronald Martin and then Deon Bailey.  He was always behind Jarrett, who probably could return for peanuts.  I was a big fan of Miles as an UDFA signing, but my hopes are plenty tempered at this point.

Good thought and the attitude all Jet fans should have this offseason.  We should
be rooting for the players on the back end of the roster to fill some of our
holes.  By doing that we can use our resources (cap $$$ and picks) in other places.
Personally I'm hoping that:

- Dozier, Harrison or Winters takes the RG spot

- Qvale can take the RT spot

- Amaro, Saxton, Sudfeld and/or Bostick can overhaul the TE spot

- Deon Simon can be in the NT rotation

- Taiwan Jones can take the ILB spot next to Harris

- Deon Barnes can be in the OLB rotation

Doubtful it will all happen but if a few of those players develop it will help
Maccagnan & Bowles immensely in putting the roster together

Excellent post. I think we have some real developmental talent that needs to be cultivated. I am especially looking forward to seeing Harrison and Simon.  I think they are true diamonds in the rough.   Jones look like a David Harris Clone and Barnes intrigues me as well.  

This is the biggest thing. It would be such a waste if he never gets into a game.

I feel like there's a lot of chatter about Dozier being groomed to take over for Mangold. Is any of that coming from the team, or is it just folks here speculating?

He has been snapping the ball in practice.

Archived