Worst draft class you had the (dis)pleasure of watching?

DoubleDecker

Most people include Rob Moore with that draft because they took him with the Supplemental.  They drafted Amaro and 3 WRs and all of them will not combine for 1/4 of the stats that Mathis put up.  Pryor may turn out, but they traded Rembert for Joe Kelly who started for a few years, Duffy and Dwayne White were 5+ year starters, Stargell started for a couple of years,  Bad as Blair Thomas was, his numbers were not that horrible.  The main problem was he was so much not a need and HOF guys were sitting there.  2014 basically netted 1.5 starters.   You could argue that '91 was worse.  The only 3 guys that even played in the league were Nagle, Mo Lewis and Gunn. So one real player (two since you can count Rob Moore here because that was where our #1 went) I guess they are all so bad that it isn't worth quibbling.

Browning Nagle to me is the poster child for JETS drafts in the 90's. Yeah he played...  but jeez.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrance Mathis signed with Atlanta and had a few big years in the Run and Shoot.

Best player on the list by far.  I meant White was the best to actually contribute for the Jets.  Mathis had a 100 catch season with Atlanta when it was nearly unheard of.

Best player on the list by far.  I meant White was the best to actually contribute for the Jets.  Mathis had a 100 catch season with Atlanta when it was nearly unheard of.

also remember he played in the run and shoot O in Atl.  in that year he had 11 recs, Andre Rison had 81 and Ricky sanders 67 and Mathis was 3rd in the NFL in recs that year so it wasn't as pass happy as today but certain teams did throw a lot and some players did post some incredible #s.

Most people include Rob Moore with that draft because they took him with the Supplemental.  They drafted Amaro and 3 WRs and all of them will not combine for 1/4 of the stats that Mathis put up.  Pryor may turn out, but they traded Rembert for Joe Kelly who started for a few years, Duffy and Dwayne White were 5+ year starters, Stargell started for a couple of years,  Bad as Blair Thomas was, his numbers were not that horrible.  The main problem was he was so much not a need and HOF guys were sitting there.  2014 basically netted 1.5 starters.   You could argue that '91 was worse.  The only 3 guys that even played in the league were Nagle, Mo Lewis and Gunn. So one real player (two since you can count Rob Moore here because that was where our #1 went) I guess they are all so bad that it isn't worth quibbling.

I always look at Moore as a 91 class, which I guess is wrong.  Moore was a player.  Those first 3 rounds were awful.  Stargell may have hung around, but he was really, really bad.

At the time, no one looked at the Thomas pick as bad, he looked like the real deal coming out of Penn State.  Then that Chicago Monday Night fumble just literally killed him.

I always look at Moore as a 91 class, which I guess is wrong.  Moore was a player.  Those first 3 rounds were awful.  Stargell may have hung around, but he was really, really bad.

At the time, no one looked at the Thomas pick as bad, he looked like the real deal coming out of Penn State.  Then that Chicago Monday Night fumble just literally killed him.

people forget he was good as rookie and was having a good 2nd season. 

Nobody looked at the Thomas pick as bad?!?!  My Dad is a pretty calm and patient dude and he was ready to riot in the streets when they took that stiff with Seau on the board.  I was ultra pissed.  There were plenty of us that didn't like him at Penn State and even more that understood that with McNeil and Hector you were adding to a position where you were already two deep and only one could get on the field at a time.  RBBC wasn't a thing in 1990.  They had Roger VIck and Brad Baxter on the roster in '89, though apparently they did not like Vick and Baxter hadn't shown anything yet.  Still, those are two FBs that rated carries.

Nobody looked at the Thomas pick as bad?!?!  My Dad is a pretty calm and patient dude and he was ready to riot in the streets when they took that stiff with Seau on the board.  I was ultra pissed.  There were plenty of us that didn't like him at Penn State and even more that understood that with McNeil and Hector you were adding to a position where you were already two deep and only one could get on the field at a time.  RBBC wasn't a thing in 1990.  They had Roger VIck and Brad Baxter on the roster in '89, though apparently they did not like Vick and Baxter hadn't shown anything yet.  Still, those are two FBs that rated carries.

McNeil and Hector were getting old(they would both retire just 2 years later), the pick itself was praised by most.  It just didn't work out.

THIS.   Our need at RB was not as great as other areas. This was a typical NY JET pick that had fans shaking their heads.

we also used sup pick for Rob Moore.  So we did have Moore, White and Mathis as good players(though Mathis became good when he left us), Duffy wasn't bad either but this is why we sunk to the depths we sunk to in the mid 90s.

You are correct, we used a 1st round supplemental on WR Rob Moore, meaning we didn't have a 1st round pick in 1991. While Moore was a good WR, it may have cost us Farve in 1991 (although Farve was graded as an early 2nd round pick).  You are also correct in thesis why we weren't good in the mid 90's.

I recall going into that 2010 draft thinking of we add an impact pass rusher that our defense would be awesome so we could ease pace out.  With 4 picks and watching it unfold, I knew that how Tanny viewed the draft would not keep the jets with any sustainable success.  Having that many picks you such a small margin of error, but to completely bomb like that was the beginning get of the end.

I recall going into that 2010 draft thinking of we add an impact pass rusher that our defense would be awesome so we could ease pace out.  With 4 picks and watching it unfold, I knew that how Tanny viewed the draft would not keep the jets with any sustainable success.  Having that many picks you such a small margin of error, but to completely bomb like that was the beginning get of the end.

he was using a quality over quantity philosophy that was working at the time.  Unfortunately he didn't hit w/ the few draft picks we had and remember we were hurt by the final 8/4 rules of 2009/2010 heading intro the lockout.

McNeil and Hector were getting old(they would both retire just 2 years later), the pick itself was praised by most.  It just didn't work out.

That's how I remember it. 

That was when I was first getting into the draft, and I really wanted Cortez Kennedy.

Hector and McNeil played for 3 years after Blair Thomas was drafted.  I didn't like Thomas at Penn State and he missed a full year with a knee injury in 1988.   He was fairly small, didn't seem so fast and kind of rocked back and forth from side to side as he ran.  I was far from the only one that didn't like him.  IMO, Richie Anderson was a better back and they got him in the 6th. 

Hector and McNeil played for 3 years after Blair Thomas was drafted.  I didn't like Thomas at Penn State and he missed a full year with a knee injury in 1988.   He was fairly small, didn't seem so fast and kind of rocked back and forth from side to side as he ran.  I was far from the only one that didn't like him.  IMO, Richie Anderson was a better back and they got him in the 6th. 

yes, 3 seasons but they retired 2 years after Blair was drafted and our O was dreadful in 1989 and needed playmakers.  to count on hector/McNeil going forward wasn't a great strategy either and both guys were banged up and barely played in their final seasons of 1992.

Obviously it didn't work out but Jimmy Johnson was a genius for drafting Emmitt Smith and he said he had Blair rated higher as everyone did.

Both 2009 and 2010 were frighteningly bad drafts.  It was almost as if Tannenbaum had no idea what to do without Mangini giving him scouting input.  And Rex was no better.

In 2009, we drafted Sanchez, Shonn Greene and Slauson. That wasn't even remotely as bad as some of the drafts. All three were starters. Slauson has started every except as a rookie. Not bad for a 6th round guard. Shonn gave us two 1k seasons. Again, not bad for a 3rd round RB. Some of the RBs selected after him were, Glenn Coffee, Andre Brown, Ringer, Bernard Scott etc. He was clearly the best available, save for Arian Foster, who went undrafted. Sanchez was a big part of our 2nd AFCCG run. He had WRs and TEs that were out of the NFL 2-3 years later. Trust me when I say this, I've seen us do worst than Sanchez.

2010 was pretty bad. We got some years out of Kyle Wilson in the slot but thats about it. Compare that to 2003 and 2008. In 2003, we spend two firsts on Drob. Victor Hobson, BJ Askew, Pragel, Walters, Bollinger... In 2008, we drafted the Ghost, Keller, Lowery, Ainge, Henry, Garner. Keller was above average. Lowery wasn't fancy or anything, but he was serviceable. You know what, this is pretty sad. I can't even say anything about our sh*t drafts without getting worked up.

2003 was particularly horrible. We traded up for Robertson, then took Hobson in the 2nd. Hobson seemed to be a fan favorite around here, but the guy was so slow and bad not one team signed him after we cut him and he was like 27/28 years old. Bj askew, Derek pagel round out total uselessness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 2009, we drafted Sanchez, Shonn Greene and Slauson. That wasn't even remotely as bad as some of the drafts. All three were starters. Slauson has started every except as a rookie. Not bad for a 6th round guard. Shonn gave us two 1k seasons. Again, not bad for a 3rd round RB. Some of the RBs selected after him were, Glenn Coffee, Andre Brown, Ringer, Bernard Scott etc. He was clearly the best available, save for Arian Foster, who went undrafted. Sanchez was a big part of our 2nd AFCCG run. He had WRs and TEs that were out of the NFL 2-3 years later. Trust me when I say this, I've seen us do worst than Sanchez.

2010 was pretty bad. We got some years out of Kyle Wilson in the slot but thats about it. Compare that to 2003 and 2008. In 2003, we spend two firsts on Drob. Victor Hobson, BJ Askew, Pragel, Walters, Bollinger... In 2008, we drafted the Ghost, Keller, Lowery, Ainge, Henry, Garner. Keller was above average. Lowery wasn't fancy or anything, but he was serviceable. You know what, this is pretty sad. I can't even say anything about our sh*t drafts without getting worked up.

ok...lets change the name of this thread to Have the JETS had any solid drafts???? Sad reading all these posts. 

Pennington was the last Jets QB to win a division title and play in a home playoff game.

Interesting note.  In the Brady era the Pats have won every div title except 2(2002 and when he got hurt in 2008).  Chad Pennington won both, 2002 w/ us and 2008 w/ Miami and it would have been 2008 w/ NYJ had they not foolishly traded for Favre and threw Chad away.

Archived