If Mo is not traded today.....

varjet

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Its not that hard honestly.  Breno restructure or cut, Mangold restructure, Marshall restructure, Decker and/or Skrine restructure.  You can probably free up about an extra 12-14 million.  8 million needed for FItz tops, but a large amount of it being signing bonus will have him on the cap for probably vet minimum.

Scary.  When I see "restructure", to me that means screw the future.  Cool when needed for a good player, but for Fitz?  Eh.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Mo isn't going to get traded today. Can anyone think of any other player that was tagged and traded on draft day?

Wasn't Abraham traded on draft day for picks.. because they couldn't work out a long term deal?

17 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Clady got most of it.  

On Breno, regardless of his suckage, if (when) Clady misses time, it will be draft pick, Qvale, and Ijalana.  Which between the 3 have zero snaps career.  So yeah, Breno stays unless we use our first two picks on tackles.

Qvale or Ijalana could both be as bad as Breno, but neither cost 5 million. Breno is getting cut, there is no reason to keep him. He's a below replacement level player.

30 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I'm not advocating Geno by no means but Macc has backed himself into a corner.  I mean basically his only options right now to start at QB are Fitz and Hoyer.  And we can't afford either right now.  Let that sink in for a few.   

Am we're not talking about a $100M extensions like several other teams for their franchise QBs.  For talking mega millions for one year stop gap QBs.  

He hasn't painted himself into a corner at all. The QB options available to him are pretty much the same, just a few of the names have changed. There are manageable QBs out there for managable money.

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Scary.  When I see "restructure", to me that means screw the future.  Cool when needed for a good player, but for Fitz?  Eh.

Screwing the future? By restructuring the best offensive lineman the Jets have or their best offensive weapon? There are 12 guys under contract for 2018. 12. Moving a little Mangold or Marshall money into the future isn't going to cripple 2017 or 2018. Google is your best friend.

I think he'll try to trade him because he's backed against the wall cap wise and he still needs money to sign his draft picks and UFAs. But it would take time to get a deal finalized because his new team would have to reach an agreement with Wilk. So if we get something in return it could be a player or a 2017 pick. Also the new team might want to see who they could get in this draft. If they don't get a DL they might if they have space be inclined to trade for him. Another factor is that Mo is coming off of a broken leg. 

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Gotcha... same exact situation though...

They're completely different. Being on the clock and one month away from draft day are different animals. The Abraham deal was also a three-team deal in which the Broncos had to swoop in and help. The very nature of the timing in the draft changes the entire dynamic of that. That deal does not happen if the Jets were on the clock.

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

That deal took 3 teams to do the Jets,Seahawks and the Falcons..

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They're completely different. Being on the clock and one month away from draft day are different animals. The Abraham deal was also a three-team deal in which the Broncos had to swoop in and help. The very nature of the timing in the draft changes the entire dynamic of that. That deal does not happen if the Jets were on the clock.

Yes 3 teams only because the Jets wouldn't except a 2nd rounder... You could have the framework in place in case certain players drop you pull the trigger.  Not saying its likely but not impossible either

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Yes 3 teams only because the Jets wouldn't except a 2nd rounder... You could have the framework in place in case certain players drop you pull the trigger.  Not saying its likely but not impossible either

It's impossible. Mo and his agent would have to also have a preliminary contract agreed upon by the other team and that sh*t doesn't happen based on conditional draft day trades.

I don't know how feasible this is but going by OTC it's possible to get to around $12.4m in cap space without (IMO) effectively crippling the team. There may be more effective ways to do this based on pre/post June 1 as my understanding there is a little fuzzy. However:

Jets have about $3.3m in cap space

Effective cost (salary minus what would come off the books in the top 51 calc) of signing draft picks is about $1.9m

Cutting Breno and Folk saves you $6.5m (draft a tackle somewhere, start Qvale, find another kicker who doesn't cost that much)

Cutting Geno saves you $1.1m (figure they'll go into the season with a vet, Petty, and a rookie - no room for Geno)

Getting rid of Thompkins and Winters (nice guys to have but not at a little under $1.7m each) saves $3.3m

Adjust for rounding errors since I'm too lazy to go to the dollar and you get to $12.4m

I doubt this will actually be done but there are ways to create space. Could also I believe pay Fitz partially in a bonus which might cause issues down the road bout would spread this year's hit across future years. Or you could restructure guys.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's impossible. Mo and his agent would have to also have a preliminary contract agreed upon by the other team and that sh*t doesn't happen based on conditional draft day trades.

Nothing is impossible... they could have agreed on a contract..

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No they couldn't have. No agent is going to negotiate a deal with a team that isn't dealing in good faith. And if he is then he should be fired and shot.

I fundamentally disagree with you... The agent has a number. If they are willing to hit it in talks then there is a possibility... Also... there is a full day between 1st and 2nd round... there could still be a deal. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I fundamentally disagree with you... The agent has a number. If they are willing to hit it in talks then there is a possibility... Also... there is a full day between 1st and 2nd round... there could still be a deal. Just my opinion.

It does seem a deal could be in place if the player a team wanted is no longer there??

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah but we traded Abraham on March 22, and we were playing chicken with Atlanta for a full week before it happened. Abraham had already visited their team & probably passed a physical with them while there. The Jets also already had an offer of the #31 pick on the table from Seattle, which trumped the 2nd rounder Atlanta was offering. So teams knew about the stalemate, and the little bidding war we had going on.  

In this case, we haven't seen any team linked to Mo. He hasn't visited anyone's training facility despite being able to do so as a FA. TTo the best of anyone's knowledge, we have no such offers on the table, and teams are not reported to be trying to outbid each other for Mo. If anything it looks like the opposite: that despite what the team says publicly, they badly want to trade him after 2 GMs have been unable to reach an agreement with him for 3 consecutive offseasons.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah but we traded Abraham on March 22, and we were playing chicken with Atlanta for a full week before it happened. Abraham had already visited their team & probably passed a physical with them while there. The Jets also already had an offer of the #31 pick on the table from Seattle, which trumped the 2nd rounder Atlanta was offering. So teams knew about the stalemate, and the little bidding war we had going on.  

In this case, we haven't seen any team linked to Mo. He hasn't visited anyone's training facility despite being able to do so as a FA. TTo the best of anyone's knowledge, we have no such offers on the table, and teams are not reported to be trying to outbid each other for Mo. If anything it looks like the opposite: that despite what the team says publicly, they badly want to trade him after 2 GMs have been unable to reach an agreement with him for 3 consecutive offseasons.

Oh yeah? Have you considered that Mo and his agent have been conducting secret medical evaluations and contract negotiations via teleportation?

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Oh yeah? Have you considered that Mo and his agent have been conducting secret medical evaluations and contract negotiations via teleportation?

If they have a transporter room they must share it so I can move away from here and still get to work. 

Just now, JiF said:

Mo is going to have a monster season next year.  15 sacks.  At least.  And they will all be super important sacks at crucial times of the game that change the course of HISTORY!

He will probably be inducted in the HOF by halftime before the season ends..:P

13 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

And they've been doing medical checks and negotiations how? Facetime?

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

We aren't moving Mo today, I think its logistically impossible at this point.  Fitz will take the offer we originally proposed or we roll with Geno for at least this year.

My prediction is tomorrow, for multiple picks that amount to first round value.

After tonight, every team will know what they got out of the first round and what they still need. Jets will have a window of time to get Mo's contract right, and get the deal done.

I'm eyeing up those Titans second rounders. 3 of the first 14 picks in R2. I want two of them, and a 2017 conditional pick, or something like that.

Imagine if we haul something like this in just the first 2 rounds alone:

• Laquon Treadwell, WR (make believe he is BPA for the sake of argument)
  • Jason Spriggs or OT
  • Kyler Fackrell, or OLB
  • Hackenberg, or QB

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

You guys have your priorities mixed up.  QB?  What to do about our stud DE eating 16mil under a franchise tag?...  all nonsense in comparison to when the LA Rams do a remake of this video?

This is what we've been missing w/o an LA team.

:o A Jackie Slater siting !!

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

After tonight, every team will know what they got out of the first round and what they still need. Jets will have a window of time to get Mo's contract right, and get the deal done.

I'm eyeing up those Titans second rounders. 3 of the first 14 picks in R2. I want two of them, and a 2017 conditional pick, or something like that.

• Jason Spriggs or OT
  • Kyler Fackrell, or OLB
  • Hackenberg, or QB

Other than grabbing a first round pick, I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.  Get some guys in here and hope they turn into productive players if not great players.  It's all better than watching him walk next year and then wait on a conditional pick.

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

• Jason Spriggs or OT
  • Kyler Fackrell, or OLB
  • Hackenberg, or QB

I can't be as optimistic. Teams KNOW we have to move Mo to free up cap space. I don't think we'll get nearly as much of a haul as you think. Hope I'm wrong.

Archived