Dee Milliner ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had mixed feelings on Milliner.  I definitely appreciate  his physical skills, and based on that he was worth the spot he was taken in the draft.  The college injuries made it an unwise draft pick.  

When he was healthy, he played poorly, and was benched twice by Rex over the first 9 games.  Had a strong finish to his rookie year and gave some hope.

Then the injuries started.  As Slats mentioned, if he has a breakout season, do you give him a major league 5 year contract with his injury history?

I'm going to sit this debate out, and hope for the best. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He was defensive rookie of the month once. That was the one month he played well. I'm not sure what your point is here, if you even have one. 

Dee Milliner has been plagued by injuries his entire NFL career when he has played healthy he has played quite well I'm not ready to give up on another #1 draft pick just yet. 

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dee Milliner has been plagued by injuries his entire NFL career when he has played healthy he has played quite well I'm not ready to give up on another #1 draft pick just yet. 

He was benched for Darrin Walls multiple times and then he couldn't even see the field this season over Walls or Williams. The guy is not good. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He was benched for Darrin Walls multiple times and then he couldn't even see the field this season over Walls or Williams. The guy is not good. 

He was benched or he was injured which is it. I disagree healthy he could help this defense. 

On May 27, 2016 at 0:59 AM, Mainejet said:

The guy is a china doll put simply. If you're thinking he'll make an impact this season and stay healthy for a change? You are sadly mistaken. The guy is a BUM and at this point it's time to cut bait with her. To my knowledge his salary is guaranteed (still on his rookie contract), and that's probably the ONLY that's keeping him on the team.

Why do some fools feel the need to call someone a BUM for a handful of injuries?  How does getting hurt make someone a BUM? 

The good thing is, if Milliner does start we have depth at the position that has seen real game time (not just pre-season) and performed pretty well in that time (Williams led team in INTs last year, as I recall). So it's not like it's Dee or nothing; if he plays it's a bonus, if he gets hurt, we can be confident enough that our backup isn't going to be toast.

Very different to our LT position, for example - guy we have starting is a stud when healthy, but if he goes out, his backup has never played a regular season snap in his life.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:18 PM, joewilly12 said:

What is the connection between other failures with high draft picks and how we should look at Milliner?  I don't get the connection.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

What is the connection between other failures with high draft picks and how we should look at Milliner?  I don't get the connection.

We have wasted way too many #1 picks in franchise history that have failed to pan out maybe Dee Milliner healthy can at least not be one of them. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:17 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

He was defensive rookie of the month once. That was the one month he played well. I'm not sure what your point is here, if you even have one. 

He was defensive player of the month, not rookie. 

Look, the kid earns the starting job in camp great for the Jets.  If he gets hurt again its IR and gone next spring.  I trust Bowels if he makes him the starter. 

HUGHES: It’ll likely take an injury or two to get Dee Milliner into the starting lineup. I know Bowles said Milliner would be “in the competition” during the draft, but that was just Bowles not wanting to give anything away. If you had asked him the same question about any other player on the roster, he’d have said the same thing.

Milliner, right now, is the “next man up” if either Marcus Williams or Darrelle Revis get hurt. If either of those two guys go down, in goes Dee. But as far as starting? I find it very hard to foresee a situation where Milliner overtakes both Marcus Williams and Buster Skrine.

In base defense, I expect it to be Skrine and Revis on the outside. In nickel, you’ll see Skrine move inside, and Williams take over outside. That’s been the case in OTAs thus far, and will likely continue into the regular season.

• 2 weeks later...

-- Staying healthy is a big part of the NFL, and the New York Jets take it very seriously. They employ massage therapists and yoga instructors at their facility, providing players with ways to maintain their bodies beyond the usual hot and cold tubs.

Dee Milliner, whose body has betrayed him in recent years, decided to partake in the spa-like activities -- specifically, yoga. He has been doing it three times a week and he likes the results."I think it helped me," the former first-round pick said Tuesday at minicamp. "I feel more flexible. [My] body just feels better."

Since being drafted ninth overall in 2013, Milliner has suffered a litany of injuries -- a high-ankle sprain, a pulled hamstring, a ruptured Achilles' tendon, a torn wrist ligament and a strained quadriceps. He has missed 27 out of 48 games, inviting some people to call him a bust. The Jets, concerned about his injury history, declined his fifth-year option, meaning he will be a free agent after the season.This could be a make-or-break year for Milliner, who has impressed the coaches this spring. With Darrelle Revis (wrist) sitting out the offseason, Milliner has received extensive work. On Day 1 of minicamp, he played in the starting nickel package, lining up outside with Marcus Williams. Buster Skrine was in the slot.

"The big thing is, he's healthy," coach Todd Bowles said of Milliner. "The more reps he gets, the better. I guess his confidence will grow because he hasn't played in a while. I'm hoping that continues once training camp starts."

A few other takeaways from Tuesday's practice :

• Quarterback Geno Smith was sharp for most of the day, especially in a red zone period when he hit Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker for touchdowns on back-to-back plays, but there always seems to be that one big mistake. He threw a deep ball to a well-covered Decker and it was intercepted by rookie safety Doug Middleton. Smith is in a tough spot. No matter how well he does, he won't unseat Ryan Fitzpatrick for the starting job (if Fitzpatrick returns). The Jets have stated repeatedly the starting job belongs to Fitzpatrick.

• Marshall was in midseason form. In the red zone period, he ran a fade into the corner of the end zone and made a leaping grab over undersized cornerback Dexter McDougle.

• Quarterbacks Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg experienced their share of hiccups. Hackenberg had two straight passes batted down at the line and also a near-interception. Hey, he's learning. Petty was intercepted on a deep seam to tight end Zach Sudfeld. Cornerback Kevin Short made a nice play, peeling off his man and making the play on the ball. Petty never saw him.

• Rookie linebacker Jordan Jenkins continued to run with the first-team defense, trying to win a starting job in the revamped corps. The Jets were slow at outside linebacker last season; that won't be the case with Jenkins and Lorenzo Mauldin.

• The list of players who didn't practice included cornerback Darrelle Revis (wrist), tight end Kellen Davis (thumb) and running backs Zac Stacy (leg) and Khiry Robinson (leg). Backup center Wesley Johnson suffered a fracture in his hand/wrist area early in the offseason and has been sitting out. Bowles said he's "hoping" Johnson is ready for training camp. With Nick Mangoldresting for many of the reps, Dakota Dozier continued to get the bulk of the work at center. Bowles was vague when asked about Mangold, saying the veteran center has "sore legs."

• Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, who has dropped close to 15 pounds, stood out because of his hustle. You can't say the man doesn't practice hard.  

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60931/jets-cb-dee-milliner-may-have-found-solution-to-injury-woes-yoga

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most intriguing question marks on the Jets' entire team entering 2016 is cornerback Dee Milliner

This season is his chance to prove that he's not a bust, and that he can stay healthy for significant stretches. Because the Jets didn't exercise his fifth-year option for 2017, he is set to become a free agent next offseason. Mostly due to injuries, Milliner has played in just 21 of 48 games over his first three NFL seasons, since the Jets drafted him ninth overall in 2013. He played in just eight games over the past two seasons. He hasn't intercepted a pass since he had three picks late in his rookie season. So you can't blame the Jets for not picking up his fifth-year option, considering the option is currently guaranteed for injury only — and Milliner just can't stay healthy. Or he hasn't been able to stay healthy in the past, at least. He was healthy during spring practices and showed some flashes of potential. 

Could Milliner contribute to the Jets' dime package (six defensive backs) this season?

Darrelle Revis, Buster Skrine, and Marcus Williams are the Jets' top three corners, in their base defense and often-used nickel package (five defensive backs). But Milliner, in training camp, has a chance to find a role of some sort. Remember, Jets coach Todd Bowles isn't shy about using a bunch of these sub packages with various assortments of defensive backs. "The biggest thing for Dee is staying healthy," said assistant defensive backs coach Daylon McCutcheon. "That's what has hindered him in the past. I think he's talented. And he's capable of playing a role on our team. If he stays healthy, then I think he'll be able to contribute. I like how he's competing out there. He's definitely in the mix. I'm excited to see what we can get out of him." 

Said head defensive backs coach Joe Danna: "He's a veteran player that understands the game. You can really kind of take the game to a sophisticated level with him. From what I can tell, he's a driven individual and he wants to have success. You can tell it's very important to him. I'm definitely happy with where he's at right now." Bowles has previously said that while Skrine and Williams can play both outside corner and in the slot, Milliner is strictly an outside corner. But McCutcheon recently said Milliner playing in the slot is a possibility, which could open up potential sub package roles for Milliner. 

"I definitely think that's an option," McCutcheon said. "Because of his size [6 feet and 201 pounds], he's a guy that you can move inside and maybe play against some tight ends or bigger receivers. He runs well enough to play on the outside. The versatility definitely helps." Danna said outside corner is "a natural spot" for Milliner, but added this: "Dee's got a unique football intelligence. I think when you have that and you've got some instincts about playing the game, I think that does maybe open up some other possibilities. So we'll see where it goes. We can put multiple different packages out there, and wherever we see guys fit. They know the possibilities are endless when we start game planning." 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/jets_dee_milliner.html#incart_river_index

On 5/26/2016 at 2:14 PM, kelly said:

Dee Milliner isn’t just on the field. . . but on the minds of Jets coaches two days into the team’s organized team activities.Fully healthy for the first time in quite some time, Milliner is enjoying extra playing time with New York star cornerback Darrelle Revissidelined with a wrist injury. According to defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers, Milliner is making the most of his additional reps.

“That guy is hungry,” Rodgers said.

Originally a first-round pick in the 2013 NFL draft, Milliner arrived in New York with high expectations surrounding him. After all, shortly before the Jets took Milliner ninth overall, they had traded Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The thought was that Milliner would be Revis’ replacement.

Things just, well, they didn’t go as planned.

Milliner’s rookie year was up-and-down, which saw the cornerback start, get benched, then eventually return to the starting lineup. Entering year two, he proclaimed himself the “best” cornerback in the NFL, but since making that statement, hasn’t been able to back it up.And that has nothing to do with poor play. Milliner simply hasn’t been on the field. An Achille’s and wrist injury limited the Alabama product to just eight game appearances these last two years. . . of a potential 32.

“Dee is a guy that we really, really expect a lot out of,” Rodgers said. “And so far, so good. The last couple of days, it’s been funny, his name has really been coming up. He’s made a lot of great plays out there in practice.”Earlier this offseason, the Jets elected not to pick up the fifth-year contract option on Milliner, rendering him a free agent following the conclusion of this season. As a result, Milliner has a little extra incentive in 2016 knowing, in a way, he’s playing for his future.

Be that with the Jets, or elsewhere.

Speaking after practice, Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated Revis may be out until training camp, meaning those reps for Milliner aren’t going to diminish much over the next month or so.It’s just up to Milliner to show that now that his health isn’t keeping him off the field, his play warrants him being on it.

>       http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/26/jets-healthy-and-hungry-dee-milliner-catching-eyes-of-coaches/

Unfortunately, he tore his ACL reading this article

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Who gives a ****? Arguing for someone being the greatest GM in the history of this franchise is like arguing for which Twilight movie is the best.

And for the record anyone that doesn't say Breaking Dawn is a fairy.

who's arguing .  I am curious .  I have Weeb and Walt .

• 2 weeks later...

@domcosentino Does Dee Milliner have a legitimate chance to contribute if healthy ?

Yep. Sure does. Milliner has plenty of ability. But we're talking about a guy who has missed 27 of 48 games due to injury in his three seasons. Expect Milliner to be right in there competing with Marcus Williams for the No. 2 corner spot, and to even have a role in some of the sub-packages if Williams beats him out. A healthy Milliner But Milliner staying healthy is a big if, for sure.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/how_much_faith_do_jets_have_in_geno_smith_mailbag.html#incart_river_index

• 4 weeks later...

The first four years of Dee Milliner's NFL career haven't exactly gone as planned. Drafted ninth overall by the Jets in 2013, the cornerback has spent more time on the injury report than game day field. 

Seriously. Of a potential 48 career games, Milliner has appeared in just 21. 

Heading into his contract year, the player who once declared himself the "best cornerback in the NFL" has no shortage of doubters... including a few people closest to him. "I see it sometimes," Milliner said Friday when asked of being labeled a bust. "My brothers and family bring it up as a joke. I just laugh at it. You've gotta take the criticism."Joking or not, there is a bit of truth behind his family's playful jabs. When Milliner first arrived at One Jets Drive, he was viewed as the replacement to the recently-traded Darrelle Revis. He was supposed to step right in, be the team's starter and make Gang Green faithful forget all about No. 24. 

That didn't go as planned. A high ankle sprain sidelined Milliner early in training camp and plagued him for the first half of the season. He struggled, and was eventually benched. He eventually returned to the lineup and played well, leading to high expectations entering 2014, but then more injuries came into play. Milliner tore his Achille's that year, and injured a tendon in his wrist in 2015.

Now, No. 27 is the forgotten man on the Jets' defense. With New York having passed on picking up the fifth-year option on his contract, he'll be a free agent next March."I just gotta go out there and play. I can't be injured. I can't be on the sideline," said Milliner, who hasn't intercepted a pass since his rookie year. "I gotta go out there on the field and compete for a job."

Through OTAs, minicamp and the first three days of training camp, Milliner does resemble a player on a mission. With Revis sidelined as he continues to rehab from wrist surgery, the 24-year-old Milliner is making the most of his opportunities. On Thursday, Milliner forced a pair of fumbles by punching the ball out of receivers' hands. Saturday, he made an impressive, toe-tapping interception near the sideline.

See, Milliner's in a weird position. He's starting now, but once Revis returns, he'll be back to the reserves. As a result, it's up to him to force his way onto the field."You've gotta love the opportunity and take advantage of it," Milliner said. "Go out there and compete and have fun while doing it... I'm trying to be the best when I'm on the field and contribute in any way I can."And in order to compete on the field, Milliner needs to be on the field. He's taken up yoga to improve his flexibility and hopefully prevent soft tissue injuries. 

The rest ? Well, wait and see.

"I'm just trying to do what I can," Milliner said. "Hopefully, I can stay that way, and I'm praying I can hold it together."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/jets_dee_milliner_working_to_prove_to_friends_fami.html#incart_river_index

• 3 weeks later...

The New York Jets play their second preseason game Friday night against theWashington Redskins at FedEx Field -- a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff. Things you need to know about the Jets :

~ ~   Player on the hot seat: We'll give cornerback Dee Milliner a mulligan for last week's nightmarish performance because it was his first game action since October 2014, but the 2013 first-round pick can't afford another stinker. He allowed a long completion and whiffed on an easy tackle that resulted in big yards. Milliner isn't in danger of getting cut (yet), but he could lose his spot in the cornerback pecking order to fourth-round pick Juston Burris, who has impressed.

rest of above article  :  

>  http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62258/rookie-qb-christian-hackenberg-could-make-jets-debut-against-redskins

Archived