Pokemon Go: A new Societal Low

Gas2No99

Meet Ivy St Ive, The Professional Pokémon Go Trainer Charging $20/Hour

071216pokemontrainer.jpg

Why catch 'em all yourself when she can catch 'em for you? via Craigslist

So you see everyone playing Pokémon Go, and you've decided that you, too, would like to catch 'em all. On the other hand, you're American, so you're left crying out "Can't someone else do it?" Well good news: Someone can, and her name is Ivy St Ive, professional Pokémon Go trainer. The bad news? It'll run you $20/hour to get her services.

St Ive began advertising her services on Craigslist this afternoon, and gave her bonafides as follows: a huge Golbat tattoo, a history of playing Pokémon since 1997, and her ranking as a Level 15 trainer in Pokémon Go. St Ive is offering to "walk around in 1-4 hour shifts signed in to your account capturing every single Pokémon I come into contact with, activating every Poke Stop I pass and walking nonstop to help hatch your eggs," all for $20/hour. She also said that she'd be willing to send hourly updates to clients, as well as provide training, gym and battle tips, if they're requested.

St Ive told us over email that since the ad has gone up, she's heard from "a fancy media lawyer in lower Manhattan, a dude in Nebraska who I think was half-joking about his request and a woman in Texas who is currently pregnant and can't walk around and apparently has a very competitive relationship with her husband," but hasn't logged into anyone's account yet. Beyond that, she said it's been all media requests and "creeps asking me out for drinks and coffee.":lol:

In order to not become another victim of Pokémon-related crime, St Ive said that she's planning on only meeting people in crowded areas in broad daylight, carrying pepper spray and bringing her boyfriend or other friends. She theorized that her vetting process for clients:lol:, which includes getting people's full names and social media profiles, is turning off any potential creeps.

St Ive's interest in Pokémon started when she was seven years old, and that she sees Pokémon Go as an extension of the pretend Pokémon training her and her younger brother did when they were children. She also said that the continuing interest comes from it not being a typical game, that it isn't "violent and it's a very individual exercise. You aren't really fighting other people and it's more about slow, steady progress."

As for the ethics of playing a video game to achieve something for other people that they won't do themselves, St Ive said that of course it's unethical and that if you're willing to pay someone to do it, you're probably taking it a bit too seriously. Ultimately though, she said that she's "totally down for taking advantage of the people who are willing to pay me to play a children's game for them. Being a real-world Pokémon trainer is like, every millennial's dream. I'm just one of the first people to do it. "

And if you're someone who loves Pokémon Go but also love cheating on your significant other? Great news: "I will totally take any falls for you with your girlfriend if you pay me," she said.

So sad . . . . .SMH.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive seen morons and idiots all day long walking around staring at there phones I've seen others in cars while driving WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD?  

First social media started destroying the world Poke Mon is going to finish it. 

Someone needs to develop a program that locks all cell phones while you are in motion driving or walking. 

I was an original pokemon nerd...I remember being harassed in 7th and 8th grade for it after the "cool" had worn off of it by 6th grade. I still have my original pokemon binder with entire pages of transparant card holders holding all of my priceless pokemon like ninetails, mewtwo, all three of the legendary birds...and like 100 others. I still have entire worlds of pokemon blue, red, and yellow on my gameboy & gameboy color.

**** pokemon go and it being 'the cool thing' now. All posers and wannabes. 

5 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

Street Cred

You also get placed into a database that has an unprecedented level of understanding of where you are, what you're doing, and how often you do it.  It's not just a sad reflection of society and what it takes to get people outside.  It's also kind of scary. 

Basically it's going to end up being a real life Skynet situation, and I want no part of it.  And yes, I'm wearing my tinfoil hat currently.  Don't say I didn't warn you all.

@Nolder

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Basically it's going to end up being a real life Skynet situation, and I want no part of it.  And yes, I'm wearing my tinfoil hat currently.  Don't say I didn't warn you all.

@Nolder

There is some issues with the data they are gathering, so this may not be too far off. Let me adjust my tin foil hat too.

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You also get placed into a database that has an unprecedented level of understanding of where you are, what you're doing, and how often you do it.  It's not just a sad reflection of society and what it takes to get people outside.  It's also kind of scary. 

@Nolder

That's a pretty good point and part of why I just play regular pokemon.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Nolder

Any GPS based app does that.  Niantic has an extremely successful game called Ingress that is actually the base of Pokémon Go!.  In the years since its inception I haven't heard anything regarding data integrity issues.

14 minutes ago, no psls said:

And the Cubbies are also f-cked !!!!!

Stop with these antanganizing posts already on multiple forums especially like this that have nothing to do with the thread. You are straining our limits on keeping you here so shape up

I didn't know exactly what this was until a few days ago when I was at my kid's softball game. There was a group of guys in their early teens climbing up on top of the batting cage (which is about 20 feet off the ground). Someone passing by asked what they were doing, and they replied, "There's a Pokemon up here." 

The whole phenomenon reminds me of the "South Park" episode with Chinpokomon. The gist of it was that Japanese toy developers were brainwashing American children into declaring war on their own country. With the whole Big Brother element attached to this app, it's a little too accurate for me. 

17 hours ago, faba said:

Stop with these antanganizing posts already on multiple forums especially like this that have nothing to do with the thread. You are straining our limits on keeping you here so shape up

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. 

That twit is one of the most pugnacious and crass posters in this forum. If you banned him, the board would be better for it :) 

I don't have kids and I'm a little too old for even the original wave of Pokemon so I haven't had a lot of interaction with the app. I kind of understand the concept because I have a younger brother and played some of the games with him in the late 90s. 

Last night my wife and I came home from a trip and decided to run to the store to grab some groceries for today. We were waiting in the self-service lines and noticed all the people at the terminals were not life's greatest victors. I jokingly commented that they were all buying supplies to keep their energy up for pokemon go. We walked outside and there were adults running all over the parking lot doing something on this game with their phones. It was one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen. 

i was meeting a friend for lunch today and I got there early, so I waited outside and just killing time on my phone.

A woman shows up with her two daughters and asked me if I was chasing Pokemon. 

-__-

Maybe I should feel flattered that I look young enough to even be bother with such a thing lol 

16 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

i was meeting a friend for lunch today and I got there early, so I waited outside and just killing time on my phone.

-__-

Maybe I should feel flattered that I look young enough to even be bother with such a thing lol 

My best friend is at his cousin's wedding, and he sends us a pic of Gloom just chillin with the priest during the wedding. 

Kinda neat that pokemon were invited. 

13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My best friend is at his cousin's wedding, and he sends us a pic of Gloom just chillin with the priest during the wedding. 

Kinda neat that pokemon were invited. 

I have no idea what that means-and happy about that!

54 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

-__-

OMG.  In DC the bars are already holding specials and sending out some sort of alerts to attract these weirdo's.  Point being its not just a kid or young person thing.  Truly terrifying if you ask me.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

OMG.  In DC the bars are already holding specials and sending out some sort of alerts to attract these weirdo's.  Point being its not just a kid or young person thing.  Truly terrifying if you ask me.

It's pathetic. a 28 year old "adult" nearly killed himself in a car crash playing this stupid game while driving. 

NY Man Totals Car While Playing Pokemon Go

071416pokemoncrash.jpg

Yesterday we all had a good laugh at Assemblyman Felix Ortiz's attempt to make a name for himself by suggesting he may legislate some safety into our seemingly never ending Pokemon Go obsession. "Well who's laughing now?" he's probably asking no one in particular, in light of the news that an upstate man crashed his car while attempting to drive and play Pokemon Go at the same time.

Auburn, N.Y. police say that Steven Cary, 28, crashed his car into a tree Tuesday night, July 12 at about 10:45 p.m., and per The Smoking Gun, admitted to cops that he was playing Pokemon Go before veering off the road. The good news is that Cary didn't kill anybody, but the bad news for him is that he suffered a broken ankle and absolutely destroyed his car. The even worse news for him is that with impaired mobility, catching more Pokemon will prove difficult, and he can't even hire out the services of an expert Pokemon trainer anymore.

The NYPD shared a number of Pokemon Go safety tips yesterday, including (unsurprisingly) a warning not to play Pokemon Go while driving your 2,000 pound death machine.

The Smoking Gun also shared a quote from a Facebook post by Cary's mother, in which she wrote that while her son doesn't text or talk on the phone while driving, the siren song of Pokemon Go caused him to look at his phone for just a brief moment, resulting in him waking up in the hospital.

&

On-Duty NYPD Cops Caught On Camera Playing Pokémon Go

The power of Pokémon Go, the augmented reality game that's either destroying the world or saving it, has even been embraced by the long arm of the law. Or at least by the long arms attached to the law, as proved by one Queens man who Snapchatted a bunch of on-duty NYPD officers catching Pikachu & Friends while on patrol. That video went viral, the cops are in trouble, and the Snapchatter has apologized, but once a Rattata, always a Rattata.

As first reported by NBC, Zoli Honig was in Far Rockaway on Wednesday morning when he spotted some cops on their phones at Beach 9th Street. Like all other humans on Earth, these officers were enjoying a Pokéstop, trying to catch 'em all. Honig began filming them: "That my friends, is the NYPD collecting Pokemon," he narrates in the video, asking the officers, "There's a wild Pikachu, have you seen him?" (The cop already caught him, duh). You can watch the video below:

Honig says the cops—who were patrolling the area to keep kids from hurling rocks—ended up bonding with a bunch of youngsters over the game. "They were playing with the kids," Honig told the NY Post. "It’s like the digital version of a cop jumping into a ball game, what they were doing today. It was really nice to see them out there interacting with the community." And indeed, though the world might be a better place if cops ran around shooting Pokéballs at Pidgleys instead of bullets at unarmed black men, Honig believes these officers got "in major trouble" for being on their phones while on duty. Honig apologized on Facebook:

But one police source told the Post it's unlikely the cops will face disciplinary action, adding, "I think it’s wrong, from a safety standpoint, for them to be fixated on cellphone games. I think it would be a non-story, but the Pokémon thing is hot. But I bet by tomorrow there will be a department memo because this job is very reactionary. This is what we’ve come to."

Still, just as Pokémon has connected celebrities with fans, so has it connected police with The People, and at a pertinent time. New Yorker Joshua Pyram bonded with three officers at a Pokéstop lure on Monday, posting about the experience on Facebook:

I took the opportunity to express my beliefs and justified opinions to them while catching #bulbasaur and #machop. To my great surprise, they not only agreed with my sentiments, but were also hurting amongst themselves within all the violence. My question to them was, "What is the solution then? If you feel this way, why wear the badge?" And their answer shut my a** up. "The only way it will change is from the inside. When we come together in same exact moment we are having now at this #PokeStop. If I decided to throw away my badge, I would only be running away from the issue, rather than face it with the Oath I swore. Then we would have 1 less Officer with the cause." 
I appreciated the short time with them, as they not only gave me permission to snap a selfie, but also firmly shook my hand and asked me to stay safe. I am glad to know that there is still a glimmer of light somewhere deep within this darkness. #TeamValor #TrueValor #PokemonGo

It's pathetic. And I GUARANTEE, experience in this city as my basis, that there's going to be a surge in the "Knockout" game that will primarily target these Pokemon idiots. 

Sad, but Natural Selection is HARSH.

For me, it's been a good thing. I never played the other games of pokemon, but this one is getting me outside, getting exercise, meeting new people, and spending time with my kids. What's bad in that?

Archived