Cimini is 100% right on Geno playing on Thurs

AFJF

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

geno looking good vs. the eagles scrubs wouldn't help them trade him if that's what they want.  

Only two realistic possibilities left.  

1) Bowles and the coaches talked it over last night and he decided to settle on Geno for the no. 2 job.  End of story.

or....

2) Jets are considering trade offers and don't want him to get dinged up.

They could release him, but I think a deal for conditional 7th is more likely than that.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Only two realistic possibilities left.  

1) Bowles and the coaches talked it over last night and he decided to settle on Geno for the no. 2 job.  End of story.

or....

2) Jets are considering trade offers and don't want him to get dinged up.

They could release him, but I think a deal for conditional 7th is more likely than that.

it is interesting that bowles didn't say geno won the #2 job.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

it is interesting that bowles didn't say geno won the #2 job.  

I didn't hear the presser or how it was phrased.  Did they ask him if Geno was definitely no. 2 for week 1?

Rich Cimini

ESPN Staff Writer

After saying yesterday he might play Geno Smith on Thursday against the Eagles, Jets coach Todd Bowles said today he'll go with Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Smith won't play, after all. This would seem to indicate Smith has locked up the No. 2 job. Bowles on the four-man QB race: "All four are good football players. We can keep all four. It's just a matter of battling with the other positions, so that's still up for grabs. We'll have to wait until after this game to see how that plays out."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Bronx Jet01 said:

Rich Cimini

ESPN Staff Writer

After saying yesterday he might play Geno Smith on Thursday against the Eagles, Jets coach Todd Bowles said today he'll go with Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Smith won't play, after all. This would seem to indicate Smith has locked up the No. 2 job. Bowles on the four-man QB race: "All four are good football players. We can keep all four. It's just a matter of battling with the other positions, so that's still up for grabs. We'll have to wait until after this game to see how that plays out."

we can keep all 4 but we don't want to...

Well imo if they get an offer for him they should take it.  I don't think he is in the plans beyond this year at all anyway.  If they are keeping him then they really do feel they can make the playoffs with geno at the helm.  Going to be an interesting week or two around here.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I just hope if the Jets are toast early they bench the loser for one of the kids, I don't need people screaming next year we should sign him again for another 12 million plus if the Jets start 1-6, 2-5, and then when the back end of the schedule lightens up with a lot of scrubby teams Fitz winning say 6 of the 9 games the fans will be pointing out how he finished strong down the stretch he is our best option yada yada yada, forgetting he is not good enough to beat good teams in this league no matter the supporting cast.  Watching him this preseason is worse then what I saw of him last season which was almost unwatchable football as far as enjoyment goes for me,  I never thought I would see a more boring unwatchable game then the Giants Jets game last season, until I watched the first half of the Giants Jets preseason game this year it was like watching paint dry.

I thought the Defensive part of the first half of the game was very exciting. Offense you're right.

34 minutes ago, Bronx Jet01 said:

Rich Cimini

ESPN Staff Writer

So Geno Smith is your back up QB, folks. 

lol

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Can't paste whole article but can link the tweet.

I thought the same exact thing when I heard Bowles' presser yesterday.  You don't even consider playing your no. 2 QB in PS game no. 4 if you're carrying 4.

Jets are either still split on Geno vs Petty, or showcasing Geno.

Ya I told Cimini " Probably 100% right OR it means Jets have a trade worked out not to be announced till after game & new team d/n want injury risk "

Maybe they're waiting till after game 4 to see if they get a better offer. It could be teams that need backups have been low balling Mac and he basically drew a line in the sand on price. If not that price he keeps all 4. There could be a few more injuries until the season starts or even afterwards. And teams don't seem to want to spend a lot of money on backup Qbs. So the people who said for 7 months no market for Qbs boy were they wrong. Of course they'll never admit it. We got a hell of a deal getting Fitz for only 12 mil. And on a one year contract with no additional guaranteed money.  

54 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Maybe they're waiting till after game 4 to see if they get a better offer. It could be teams that need backups have been low balling Mac and he basically drew a line in the sand on price. If not that price he keeps all 4. There could be a few more injuries until the season starts or even afterwards. And teams don't seem to want to spend a lot of money on backup Qbs. So the people who said for 7 months no market for Qbs boy were they wrong. Of course they'll never admit it. We got a hell of a deal getting Fitz for only 12 mil. And on a one year contract with no additional guaranteed money.  

Would like to think Vikes get involved, but they'll be looking for somebody who protects the ball better than Geno.

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Would like to think Vikes get involved, but they'll be looking for somebody who protects the ball better than Geno.

Again I think they've got their guy with Shaun Hill. They don't want to really bring in Kap even if they can get him cheaper because it's still Teddy's job and they don't want to start a Qb controversy. Even though there were questions before the season about how good a Qb Teddy is going to be long term. Some think not that good. 

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They have that in Shaun Hill.  It's OK to have a backup who isn't the same type of guy as your starter.  

They still have to make a move for two reasons.

1) Hill is meh

2) If Hill gets hurt, I think they have a rookie UDFA behind him.

With a guy who doesn't turn it over a ton like Geno or Sanchez, they can do some damage.

14 hours ago, Bronx Jet01 said:

Rich Cimini

ESPN Staff Writer

Not sure it indicates jacksh!t. 

Maybe he's locked up the #2 spot. Maybe they've seen enough of him, and want to give Petty the start and one last chance to unseat him. Maybe they wanna put the bubble-wrap on him in case they actually get a trade offer. Could really mean anything. 

13 hours ago, j4jets said:

Some Jets fans be like "Geno is worthless, but hey, Vikes and Cowboys might be interested in trading for him". 

thats not a fair statement.. In one case its a 'he is not a long term #1. But in Vikes case we are talking about a 1 year fill in until Teddy back' HUGE difference 

4 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

thats not a fair statement.. In one case its a 'he is not a long term #1. But in Vikes case we are talking about a 1 year fill in until Teddy back' HUGE difference 

Neither is Fitz but like you, its more like "1 year fill in until Hack etc". Same for Geno since the odds of Fitz playing all 16 games is not great. 

I don't think they've decided either.  

I also think it's a big deal because you have a starter with a history of getting dinged up but considering exposing his backup to injury despite having two young guys behind him who can use the reps.

I feel like this "history of getting dinged up" or "injury prone" in regards to fitz is one of those things that only said because it's been repeated so much. 100+ games started and he has only missed time due to a broken leg in 2014 and half a game with a thumb last year. No soft tissue injuries ever. He has more in common with Brett Favre than Sam Bradford when it comes to injury history. Hope you're well, Glenn.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I feel like this "history of getting dinged up" or "injury prone" in regards to fitz is one of those things that only said because it's been repeated so much. 100+ games started and he has only missed time due to a broken leg in 2014 and half a game with a thumb last year. No soft tissue injuries ever. He has more in common with Brett Favre than Sam Bradford when it comes to injury history. Hope you're well, Glenn.

Yeah I don't know where this Fitz is fragile! line comes from.

Archived