Macc's Roster Additions/A Brief Overview

varjet

Understanding that draft picks need 3 years to make a fair valuation, and the Jets roster did work last year for its purpose, this is my initial take on the draft picks/FAs that Macc procured.  Unfortunately, the ultimate valuation of some of these additions depended on potential other moves and how they were used by the coaching staff.  I think the overall grade here is meh.  Despite being Executive of the Year, Macc has a lot of work to do to get this team righted.

Draft (still Bradway staff scouting):

1-Williams.  Currently Jets best player.  Good pick, but it needed to be accompanied with the trade of SR or Mo or not signing Mo to balance the team.

2-Devin Smith.  This was a win now pick in reaction to not drafting Brandin Cooks and not signing Desean Jackson.  Unfortunately, Fitz cannot throw a ball he can catch.  I have questions whether he is ever successful in the NFL.  Passed up on Preston Smith, Eric Kendricks and Ronald Darby to pick him.

3-Mauldin.  I still think this was a solid 3rd round pick, and this year in particular he is being misused because they are trying to mis-run a 4-3.   But rather than trade down, they could have stood pat and drafted Eli Harold or Duke Johnson.

4-Petty.  Some think he will never be an NFL QB.  That would be bad.  The jury is still out here, but if really is not capable of being even a backup, this was a waste of a valuable pick.

5-Harrison-completely mis-scouted.  Did not have the work ethic, body or temperament to be in the NFL.

6-Simon-he could be good.  Can we play him?

FA/Roster

Skrine and Gilcrist-considering the Jets had to spend cap dollars and the secondary was a mess, I was ok with these.  They played well last year, and I think their decline this year is because of the coaching and Revis collapse.  If Gilcrist is cut in 2017 it is because he can be replaced much cheaper.

Revis-OK to add generally, but way too much money and contract term for someone who was expected to decline rapidly.  Will likely get cut next year for $6mm of deal money.

Carpenter-solid signing who is hopefully here a long time.

Fitz and Marshall-good value for trade compensation spent.   Fitz was supposed to be a temporary back up, and Marshall had a great year last year.

Draft (with Macc's scouting staff):

1-Darron Lee-he could be a good player, but was more of a win now/bonus piece and not building block.  If Paxton Lynch turns out to be good, Macc should lose his job.  This was a direct rejection of Paxton Lynch for a team without a QB.

2-Hack-Boom or bust, but his development should be a priority that is pushed.   Macc made a very expensive Hack for Lynch bet.

3-Jarvis Jenkins-an apparent solid 3rd round pick who was injured then mis-used.

4-Burris-solid 4th round pick.

5-Shell-this could be another dud, even for a 5th round pick.

7-Edwards-he was punting well.

7-Peake-good value pick.

FA/Roster

Sign Mo-with drafting Leo, and now knowing that he had an attitude problem before the contract was signed, this looks like a very skeptical move.  Should have let him sign elsewhere and taken the comp pick (like Broncos with Malik).

Sign Fitz-Jets were in a tough spot.  Easy to say now it was a bad idea, but they really were backed into a corner with only Geno, Petty and Hack.  The Broncos were willing to go with what they had.  Desperate move because the Jets were unprepared.

Jarvis Jenkins-perhaps Macc's worst move, but at least we saved the comp pick.

Clady-desperation signing for a fair price.  Tough to sign next year unless at another bargain/gamble price.

Forte for Ivory-better value, but Forte was expensive as a hold the fort guy.  He takes too many touches from Powell, but in the absence of draft picks in that position, no other choice.

Robinson-bummer.  I think we underestimated the effect his injury had on the team.

ASJ and the TEs generally-WTF?  Why 4+ players for a position we don't even use.  Roster mismanagement.

Young WRs-good prospects.  Keep developing.

McClendon-Snacks was the signing, not Mo, but McClendon is playing hard.  

Bruce Carter-he has been out almost all year with a calf injury.  Not a repeat.

I generally agree here.

I disagree about Devin Smith as a win now pick. At the time our receiver corp was awful and needed help. Even as it stands Decker and Marshall are older guys with injuries. We will need young guys to replace them. We are doing considerably better at developing WRs (perhaps the biggest post-Rex coaching positive) so maybe we get something out of him. Can't blame Macc for not forecasting that injury.

Macc deserves some slack on the Mo situation. I think he wanted to let Mo walk if a more reasonable deal could not go on the table but Richardson has really screwed that up. Richardson is mouthy in a bad way and with his criminal and drug problems is a real question mark for sustained play. I suspect Richardson is cut after this season and we hope for a comp pick. 

31 minutes ago, varjet said:

Draft (with Macc's scouting staff):

1-Darron Lee-he could be a good player, but was more of a win now/bonus piece and not building block.  If Paxton Lynch turns out to be good, Macc should lose his job.  This was a direct rejection of Paxton Lynch for a team without a QB.

What about Dak Prescott? 

What about Dak Prescott? 

If he had drafted dak Prescott in the first round he would have and should have been fired. Literally no one knew dak was going to blow up not even the cowboys who pushed hard to make a trade up so they could draft lynch. Dak would have probably sat behind fitz and maybe petty too if we drafted him just like he sat behind Romo until Romo got injured.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What about Dak Prescott? 

At some point we can compare Macc to the other GMs. No one picked Prescott in the first 3 rounds.  Even Brissett got picked in the third and Cook prior to Prescott.  

The problem is that the Jets were so desperate they had to pick a QB first or second round.   Prescott was viewed as a later round prospect.  

If the Jets were truly nervy, they would have picked 2 QBs in the draft.

But even the Dallas press has ascribed at least a good portion of Prescott's success to the OL and Elliott.  That tells me that if you want to develop a QB, make sure he has a OL and running back.

The Jets need more picks. Most teams do fairly the same in drafts(the notion that certain teams consistently draft well is false) but the good teams always seem to have at least 9 picks in each draft. The Jets always seem to have the minimum, which also forces them to be signing free agents and negating comp picks. Idzik came off as a boob but he understood both of these strategies.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets need more picks. Most teams do fairly the same in drafts(the notion that certain teams consistently draft well is false) but the good teams always seem to have at least 9 picks in each draft. The Jets always seem to have the minimum, which also forces them to be signing free agents and negating comp picks. Idzik came off as a boob but he understood both of these strategies.

Idzik had the right idea for sure, but his execution was awful. How he could have watched Geno up close and passed on 3 very good QB prospects is still beyond me. The Pats had Tom Brady for crying out loud and still took Garopolo. 

Just now, NoBowles said:

Idzik had the right idea for sure, but his execution was awful. How he could have watched Geno up close and passed on 3 very good QB prospects is still beyond me. The Pats had Tom Brady for crying out loud and still took Garopolo. 

Agree, him passing on Teddy/Carr basically got him fired.

23 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If he had drafted dak Prescott in the first round he would have and should have been fired. Literally no one knew dak was going to blow up not even the cowboys who pushed hard to make a trade up so they could draft lynch. Dak would have probably sat behind fitz and maybe petty too if we drafted him just like he sat behind Romo until Romo got injured.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I never said we should have drafted Prescott in the 1st round we drafted a situational LB  was this Macc's pick or Bowles pick?  

The fact that we drafted a QB in the 2nd round who never sniffed the field is disturbing. 

The fact that we needed a QB and didnt do our due diligence on any of them but picked Macc's buddy bill O'Briens choice is also disturbing. 

Dak Prescott is 8-1 yes Dallas has the best OL they also drafted Elliott NFL leading RB.....need i say more 

pretty harsh on maccagnan imo. i think he muffed mainly on the qb and then thinking the defense was going to be way better than it has been.  it's plenty clear that in order, the defense has been the biggest disappointment followed by the offense and then special teams.  i also don't think the loss of decker has been fully accounted for.  yeah we've seen enunwa steppeing up a bit but the combination of marshall, decker, and enunwa was absolutely deadly last season and this season teams are taking away marshall.  enunwa stopped getting easy throws after decker went down and teams started to concentrate on him too.  and one of the reasons is fitz just didn't make good connections with peake/j marshall/anderson.  and all of those guys have and can perform if given the chance.  the other part of this is they have rarely played from ahead.  the offense is constantly trying to make up one or two touchdown deficits and they just aren't structured to be a very good come from behind team.  but no matter what mac has done, doesn't cover up the for the way the team is coached.  bowles isn't the rah rah players coach that rex was but it sure doesn't seem like he's brought enough discipline and accountability to these guys either.  he needs to make it clear whose boss and follow through.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The fact that there are still people who think that not only was Buster Skrine a good singing but also that he's been playing well is absolutely mind boggling. The guy was bad last year and he's bad this year. He was bad in Cleveland and Macc gave him a ton of money. 

Agree Carl hes been a liability in that secondary and he was bad in Cleveland another strike against Macc. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

But even the Dallas press has ascribed at least a good portion of Prescott's success to the OL and Elliott.  That tells me that if you want to develop a QB, make sure he has a OL and running back.

That is EXACTLY why I feel Mac & Bowles are in NO RUSH to possibly sabotage Petty, and more-so Hackenburg, at this stage of their formative years behind a mediocre B-team offensive line with no consistent running game to alleviate the pressure that would be placed on a young QB to carry the offense. Opposing defenses would stack the box with 8 defenders and BLITZ up the wazoo. 

Yet, they eventually have to be tossed into the fire and see if they can swim at some point. ;)

This may have come off harsher than intended.  I believe that MacC was pressured by you know who to be more competitive on the competitive rebuild.   I think Bowles has also had a lot of input.  He did some good things.   I think, starting now, he needs to build the team the right way.   

36 minutes ago, varjet said:

This may have come off harsher than intended.  I believe that MacC was pressured by you know who to be more competitive on the competitive rebuild.   I think Bowles has also had a lot of input.  He did some good things.   I think, starting now, he needs to build the team the right way.   

What is the right way? 

IMO Lee is a building block. He'll become the leader on D. He just turned 22. 

No idea what you meant regarding D.Smith. It was well known he needed development with the route tree. Injuries so far have slowed that. Next yr is a big yr for him. 

Simon does play and contributing

And Macc didn't need much input from the remaining scouts. He had his own reports from his Houston staff whether officially or just because it was his job to know. JMO. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

What is the right way? 

IMO Lee is a building block. He'll become the leader on D. He just turned 22. 

No idea what you meant regarding D.Smith. It was well known he needed development with the route tree. Injuries so far have slowed that. Next yr is a big yr for him. 

Simon does play and contributing

And Macc didn't need much input from the remaining scouts. He had his own reports from his Houston staff whether officially or just because it was his job to know. JMO. 

The right way is to build the OL, find a QB and not sign win now free agents.   Draft BPA and accrete draft picks.

I think that MacC may have veered from BPA in his drafts.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

The right way is to build the OL, find a QB and not sign win now free agents.   Draft BPA and accrete draft picks.

I think that MacC may have veered from BPA in his drafts.

I'll always question what exactly is BPA? How is that determined? And what is the numbering system used to rank each player? 

So if last draft come Jets pick if DL scored x.1 & Lee scored x.2 mcc should have taken the DL since that's the BPA?

15 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Macc deserves some slack on the Mo situation. I think he wanted to let Mo walk if a more reasonable deal could not go on the table but Richardson has really screwed that up. Richardson is mouthy in a bad way and with his criminal and drug problems is a real question mark for sustained play. I suspect Richardson is cut after this season and we hope for a comp pick. 

You don't get comp picks for guys you cut.

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

I'll always question what exactly is BPA? How is that determined? And what is the numbering system used to rank each player? 

So if last draft come Jets pick if DL scored x.1 & Lee scored x.2 mcc should have taken the DL since that's the BPA?

I think a modified bpa is usually best.  In the case of Williams, they went bpa, but then needed to trade or not sign someone.  The alternative would have been to pick Beasley.

Assuming other teams knew what they were doing, the next picks after Lee were WRs.  But we picked D.Smith the year before.

When you need a qb, you may have to pick the b qb a if you like the player and don't think they last to your pick in the next round.  That is what the Jets did with Hack, and why the Broncos traded up for Lynch.

I think the Mauldin and Jenkins picks were direct attempts to find edge players, which was fine if we stuck with a 3-4.  The switch away from that leaves us confused.

D Smith was a direct reach for a long ball WR.   I hope he works out.  How would we feel about the Jets if we had Ronald Darby instead.   He played at FSU-not exactly a sleeper school.

16 hours ago, varjet said:

McClendon-Snacks was the signing, not Mo, but McClendon is playing hard.  

Snacks was good for stopping the run. Our DL is still doing well stopping the run without him. McClendon has also contributed a lot in the passing defense too, he gets to the QB - he has 3.5 sacks, compared to 4 for Mo AND Shel combined.

This was a very underrated move IMHO. And McClendon costs a fraction of what Snacks is earning.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think a modified bpa is usually best.  In the case of Williams, they went bpa, but then needed to trade or not sign someone.  The alternative would have been to pick Beasley.

Assuming other teams knew what they were doing, the next picks after Lee were WRs.  But we picked D.Smith the year before.

When you need a qb, you may have to pick the b qb a if you like the player and don't think they last to your pick in the next round.  That is what the Jets did with Hack, and why the Broncos traded up for Lynch.

I think the Mauldin and Jenkins picks were direct attempts to find edge players, which was fine if we stuck with a 3-4.  The switch away from that leaves us confused.

D Smith was a direct reach for a long ball WR.   I hope he works out.  How would we feel about the Jets if we had Ronald Darby instead.   He played at FSU-not exactly a sleeper school.

The run of WRs just after Lee - Fuller, Doctson, Treadwell - have all struggled to stay healthy / contribute. Fuller has done the best of the three; Doctson and Treadwell have 3 catches between them.

34 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Snacks was good for stopping the run. Our DL is still doing well stopping the run without him. McClendon has also contributed a lot in the passing defense too, he gets to the QB - he has 3.5 sacks, compared to 4 for Mo AND Shel combined.

This was a very underrated move IMHO. And McClendon costs a fraction of what Snacks is earning.

Agree. McClendon is better than Snacks.

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I don't know.  Has anyone heard McClendon's name since his monster game week one?  I haven't.  I'll take Snacks.

1 1/2  sacks last week. Only guy on "the great d line" who showed up. Shows up every week. Having played in Pittsburgh for Tomlin must be totally disgusted with the crap going on here.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What about Dak Prescott? He's a young QB playing with a young elite running back and the best OL in the NFL.

Fair overview, for the most part on Maccagnan, Wilkerson is the one disagreement because everyone liked the signing at the time.

Sadly our draft pick QB in the 2nd round isn't NFL ready like Dak Prescott is.........NO EXCUSES IN FOOTBALL

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

What about Dak Prescott? 

Prescott fell into the perfect situation in Dallas. Great O-Line, full of first round picks and then Zeke Elliott who has taken a lot of the pressure off Dak with his running game. Prescott would not look as good in green, although I think that he would be a certain upgrade over both Petty and Hackenberg. 

Archived