Different sport, but a point that applies to the Jets

AFJF

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I used to get killed for saying this whenever Rex was here....nice to hear "Pop" has this mentality.

He was asked if he failed to get his team motivated.

Thats it right there. This is why attitude, character, and drive matter. Not just height, weight, 40 time etc. we have, and have had too many guys who don't care. Phil Jackson, Pop, Joe Torre, Belicheck, Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, Wooden etc weren't winning because of speeches or motivation pep talks.

We need to rebuild entire roster.

You cannot like a post enough.  I honestly think this is going to be a long rebuild, and the Jets are going to take their time getting guys in here who want to play.  The only one I am shocked about is Mo.  There never seemed to be a concern about him, but this guy has mailed it in.  Not impressed.

I can think of about five players on this team I would get rid of for attitude alone. 

22 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

You cannot like a post enough.  I honestly think this is going to be a long rebuild, and the Jets are going to take their time getting guys in here who want to play.  The only one I am shocked about is Mo.  There never seemed to be a concern about him, but this guy has mailed it in.  Not impressed.

I can think of about five players on this team I would get rid of for attitude alone. 

Not to bring down Rex but is it possible that Rex was very lenient with the players. And when Rex left, the new coach came in and tried to change that aspect and not everyone bought into it yet? But this is important. Maybe airing out Mo's dirty laundry was what was needed for Mo to start acting more professional?

9 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Not to bring down Rex but is it possible that Rex was very lenient with the players. And when Rex left, the new coach came in and tried to change that aspect and not everyone bought into it yet? But this is important. Maybe airing out Mo's dirty laundry was what was needed for Mo to start acting more professional?

Absolutely.  I think the players had it too easy.  They could say what they wanted in the media.  There were no repercussions for not being a professional.  Now, Bowles has come in and is ANTI that.  Players are not playing for him (some).  Those players need to go.  I like Bowles.  He has made some questionable decisions, sure.  Most first-time head coaches  do.  But he deserves more than two years.  Ask CLeveland Brown fans how well it works when you fire coaches (4 actually) after just two years.

4 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Does a plumber need a pep talk? Definitely not.

IDK. I bet many plumbers would appreciate a pep talk

Great moments are born from great opportunity. And that’s what you have here today.   That’s what you have earned here, today. One toilet.

If there were ten toilets, you might not clear them all. But not this toilet.  Not today.  Today you clear it.  Today you stuff that sh*t all the way down because you can!

Today, you're the greatest plumber in the world.  You were born to be a plumber.  This is your time.  I'm sick and tired of hearing about a clogged toilet.  Screw it.  This is your time!!

Now go out there and clear it!!!

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

In fairness to Mo it is possible he simply hasn't fully recovered from the leg-break which happened less than a year ago. Sometimes players take a full year to return to their best after a major injury like that. I'm less worried about Mo long term as at 26 he still has upside and years on his side

I love Pop. This is why I was happy when we hired a guy from the Parcells tree. IMO what made Parcells so great was the no bullsh*t mentality. This is your job, do it or you're out. Parcells had plenty of flaws, but that one thing is what got the best players on the roster to play, and why his teams almost always played motivated football. From what I've seen with Bowles, he ain't got that. So I'm not sure what the point of keeping him on is, because he doesn't do anything else particularly well.

I think Pop is right in his assessment of course but from a players POV they know when the CS just doesnt have it and puts them at a disadvantage week after week. It takes a toll psychologically. Blown time outs, poor play calling, no clock management, unimaginative game plans, select few players above the rules. I dont think they overtly decide not to give100% but not believing in the mission leads to hesitancy, second guessing, failure. Ultimately the team ethos and belief in each other is destroyed and I think this is what the Jets have now with Bowles at the helm.

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

I used to get killed for saying this whenever Rex was here....nice to hear "Pop" has this mentality.

He was asked if he failed to get his team motivated.

I don't think this applies.  Football is such a brutal sport that I think a coach motivating a team is part of the equation.  Parcells was legendary for motivating his players. 

http://deadspin.com/football-coaches-motivational-gimmicks-have-never-not-b-1645434416

Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells used those tactics from time to time. When his Patriots were playing the Jets, he dangled toy airplanes in their lockers. When he was coaching in Dallas, he reminded his players not to buy into the hype being said about them — or, in his words, "eat the cheese" — so he put a giant blue mousetrap in the middle of the Cowboys locker room, and baited it with a piece of cheese.

Once, when he was coaching the Jets, Parcells left an empty gas can in the locker of linebacker Brian Cox, along with a question: "Do you have any left in the tank?"

I think the Jets scouting department, as a whole, is just plain awful.  I don't know what those people are doing there.  I have honestly thought about writing a letter to Woody Johnson and offering my services as as consultant, maybe even for free.

There have been many instances where I believe in player A, the Jets pick player Q, and player A turns out to be significantly better. 

Laugh if you will... but my YouTube scouting would produce better results than the guys in Florham Park getting paid $75K per year.

Archived