Movies We've Seen Thread

That was definitely a buzzkill in the movie--already knowing that he never wins. It was almost pathetic--at the end of the movie, they close it with some text coming up on the screen, saying "Two years later, the Red Sox would go on to win their first Workd Series since 1918, using the principles that Beane blah blah blah."

Really?

Money Ball with....money! Sabermetrics + Cash! That explains J.D. Drew, Carl Crawford and John Lacky, I guess. :winking0001:

I'll wait 'till it hits Redbox.

Edited by Garb

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw Let the Right One In (Swedish) after years of hearing I should watch it...Definitely worth the hype. Really, really well done. I might try Let Me In the American remake at some point because it's gotten hype as a worthy entry.

Up next are two more Scandinavian must watches...Troll Hunter and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

The Ides of March was the best movie I've seen this year. Not that I see a lot of movies anymore.

Yes, good flick. If you liked that (political theme) you should go rent 'The Fog of War'. Documentary (won a academy award years ago) about the inside view of US Foreign Policy and War through Robert McNamara's eyes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fog_of_war/

Swasw both "Moneyball" and Cedar Rapids" this week. Would recommend both. Brad Piutt is understated and excellent. Kinda missed in the book and the movie where having Mulder, Hudson and Zito might have had something to do with the A's success, but it makes it's point pretty well.

"Cedar Rapids" is a very funny movie with a good cast. There is a running joke in it about "The Wire" with Isiah Whitlock, who played Councilman Davis but plays a mild-mannered insurance salesman in this , that is well worth the setup.

Swasw both "Moneyball" and Cedar Rapids" this week. Would recommend both. Brad Piutt is understated and excellent. Kinda missed in the book and the movie where having Mulder, Hudson and Zito might have had something to do with the A's success, but it makes it's point pretty well.

"Cedar Rapids" is a very funny movie with a good cast. There is a running joke in it about "The Wire" with Isiah Whitlock, who played Councilman Davis but plays a mild-mannered insurance salesman in this , that is well worth the setup.

Yup, I was OK with MoneyBall but Cedar Rapids was a Home Run Independent flick IMHO.

Edited by SouthernJet

• 4 months later...

Made the mistake of going to see "Safety Not Guaranteed" because I like the Duplass brothers. This was pure indie-film garbage, clearly written by some dude taking Hipster Indie Film Contrivances 101. It asks you to accept Aubrey Plaza as a homely social outcast who falls in love with paranoid delusional, possibly violent, creepy supermarket employee Mark Dupla$$, without ever giving us a shred of evidence that Duplass is anything more than a paranoid delusional, possibly violent, creepy supermarket employee. The screenwriter even goes so far as to give the character the added flaw of an incredibly lifelike prosthetic ear that (wait for it) all the kids laughed at when he was in schoooooool awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Jake Johnson is good as the slimy magazine writer, and he's the only one who gets any halfway decent lines in this piece of sh*t.

Edited by T0mShane

I was looking for this thread the other day because I didn't want to start a new one...

Saw Moonrise Kingdom over the weekend. If you're a fan of Wes Anderson, you will love this. It's like a greatest hits movie. Strong-willed outcast boy and a moody, aggressive, aware of her powers of femininity girl decide to run away from the world together. The movies reads like a picture book. You turn the pages on each scene. The "special effects," are purposely, decidedly unspecial. The cast is terrific with Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, and Frances McDormand. The whole package made for a charming coming of age movie.

Unless you hate Wes Anderson. Then you'll think it sucks.

I was looking for this thread the other day because I didn't want to start a new one...

Saw Moonrise Kingdom over the weekend. If you're a fan of Wes Anderson, you will love this. It's like a greatest hits movie. Strong-willed outcast boy and a moody, aggressive, aware of her powers of femininity girl decide to run away from the world together. The movies reads like a picture book. You turn the pages on each scene. The "special effects," are purposely, decidedly unspecial. The cast is terrific with Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, and Frances McDormand. The whole package made for a charming coming of age movie.

Unless you hate Wes Anderson. Then you'll think it sucks.

Really good movie.

Insidious? Also a solid movie.

So who saw Rock of ages yet? Reviews

I doubt I'll see this in the theater, but I'll watch it eventually. I've read that Tom Cruise puts up an excellent performance, and Alec Baldwin just looks funny in the trailer all hippied out.

I doubt I'll see this in the theater, but I'll watch it eventually. I've read that Tom Cruise puts up an excellent performance, and Alec Baldwin just looks funny in the trailer all hippied out.

Really? Go figure, I'll be honest the casting choices is what made me think that film was destined to be a complete flop more than anything else. When your big name leads in a rock flick are two over the hill actors who have become caricatures of themselves, it seems like an odd choice.