Would You Take a Drafted Upgrade Over Bart Scott?

TNJet

There's that too. Actually considering finally springing for an authentic for the first time in my life due to both factors. Throw in the fact that he spits maybe the best trash in the history of the game and to be honest they should just put him in the damn Ring of Honor while he's still a player.

"We're good at our game. We can talk and play. I don't think they can."

I love that guy!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep! that 20th D in the league was better than anyone else come playoff time, making the great Manning look like a douche with 2 minutes left in the ball game. I think most of you guys just hate to admit we lost a great LB to the Saints and down graded with Scott. He misses tons of tackles where he overruns players and cant wrap them up, yet he "can't wait" to start a fight before the game starts every sunday...it just gets old.

I haven't been reading the board much lately... Are you still pulling for Kellen Clemens to start these days?

Bart Scott has great moments but he's also getting up there. The dude's day-to-day job is taking on guards, chances are he doesn't have a ton of football left.

how is this not a Vontaze Burfict thread? Arizona State MLB would be ideal for Rex's D.

His draft status could be top 20 if he were a boy scout, but he's far from that... and who knows what he works out at... could put him in the Jets neighborhood when the time comes.

Mauga, Satele and Bellore have not made "plays", unless you are combining them all into one stat producer and in preseason games to boot. This thread alone should have produced five bannings, it's so wrong.

Mauga and Satele have real potential on defense. Whether they deliver on that potential in real games, remains to be seen. Honestly, the way these 2 are coming on, they might not need to draft a replacement.

how is this not a Vontaze Burfict thread? Arizona State MLB would be ideal for Rex's D.

His draft status could be top 20 if he were a boy scout, but he's far from that... and who knows what he works out at... could put him in the Jets neighborhood when the time comes.

Bit that is laughable, I would be shocked if Burfict falls out of the top 10 let alone the top 20.

Look guys I didnt mean this to end up a vilma vs bart thread but it ended up that way. I did like Vilma as a jet more than scott, and I'll just leave it at that. But obviously my point was "drafting a 3-4 ILB that fits our system, younger and possibly better than Scott". Still unsure? Read the thread title again.

I haven't been reading the board much lately... Are you still pulling for Kellen Clemens to start these days?

Haha, I'd still like for him to win the job in Washington :) Sanchez is my main man he's obviously better in every way. I pulled hard for Kellen when Favre fcked him over thats all. And also when noodle arm was losing left and right in early 07.

Haha, I'd still like for him to win the job in Washington :) Sanchez is my main man he's obviously better in every way. I pulled hard for Kellen when Favre fcked him over thats all. And also when noodle arm was losing left and right in early 07.

But obviously my point was "drafting a 3-4 ILB that fits our system, younger and possibly better than Scott". Still unsure? Read the thread title again.

I think the counterpoint is that you don't usually try to upgrade a position of strength. Obviously he is going to eventually need to be replaced but its not at all likely that they could find an upgrade right now.

Look guys I didnt mean this to end up a vilma vs bart thread but it ended up that way. I did like Vilma as a jet more than scott, and I'll just leave it at that. But obviously my point was "drafting a 3-4 ILB that fits our system, younger and possibly better than Scott". Still unsure? Read the thread title again.

I think the Jets as currently constructed can just draft BAP. They already have paid Harris pretty well, so I don't think a 2nd high paid ILB is required. I think Scott is much better than you are giving him credit, but even assuming he's on his way out, I think ILB is a position that can be filled with lesser developed talent, sort of like the interior line. If Mauga can do the job the team will be saving some money going forward. If a great draft pick falls in our lap sure, but I think it's pretty obvious that S is the number 1 weakness on the D - also a position that can often be filled with lesser talent, but no luck so far.

I think the Jets as currently constructed can just draft BAP. They already have paid Harris pretty well, so I don't think a 2nd high paid ILB is required. I think Scott is much better than you are giving him credit, but even assuming he's on his way out, I think ILB is a position that can be filled with lesser developed talent, sort of like the interior line. If Mauga can do the job the team will be saving some money going forward. If a great draft pick falls in our lap sure, but I think it's pretty obvious that S is the number 1 weakness on the D - also a position that can often be filled with lesser talent, but no luck so far.

Its just the dream of being a fan...like getting two awsome players at the same position fires me up sometimes on defense...Like Nnamdi and Revis would've been.

I like Scott, but he's overrated. I think we could easily draft an even more consistent tackler to put next to Harris. In other words I'd like another Harris type player, one who leads by example and talks on the field. I know that all the "Bart is the qb of the defense" guys will pop up now on this thread, but I always think about what we could've had if Vilma and Harris were our two beasts in the middle. Bart's not a bad player, I just think he's Rex's buddy and attitude on the field. I'm always thinking of ways to better our defense, and honestly, if we had a younger tackling machine out there ala Harris wow we'd be even better. Yes I know Scott had 100 tckls last year and blah blah whatever...He just makes too many bone headed plays when his mouth gets in his way come playoff time.

You complain that Scott is overrated and you would like to replace him with Jonathan Vilma? Vilma has to be pretty close to being the single most overrated player in the NFL. Of all the things Vilma may be, "beast" is none of them. The guy has made a career of making eventual tackles. Eventual as in after the runner has gained an extra 3 yards more than he should have - often after the first down is gained - Vilma eventually brings him down.

Good guy, but left a lot to be desired on the field. Tackling a guy after he gets dragged 3-4 yards after first contact isn't the same as tackling him at the point of contact.

Bart Scott is a Beast!!!

Vilma? played here and he was alright but would suck in Rex system, not to mention would need a season full of exp just to learn it.

Scott bring attitude which in itself has contributed huge to turning a group of guys unranked under mangini to a force to be reckoned with under Rex. Not to mention the man can play.

I would like to draft a guy or get another guy to back up Scott and Harris, eventually become our next guy, but not replace him...thats crazy

No one was good in Mangini's. If Josh Mauga and Satele, Bellore can make plays for Rex bet your a$$ a probowler like Vilma could. He's just as big as those guys. Vilma was a very good player for us I actually hated losing him.

Vilma was a very good player in the 4-3 he was decent at best in the 3-4. Also Harris calls the plays on defense not Scott. Josh Mauga is going to be a damn good LB in this league and if anything happens to Scott or Harris I think he can fill in just fine to be honest. When Rex came here He brought one player from each Tier of the defense in Baltimore to help with the transition on defense Scott and Leonhard have both done a solid job not only on the field but both have been leaders on the defense. In the next few years I can see Scott being replaced it will be interesting to see how Ryan/Tanny handles that situation if a move needs to be made. If Mauga is capable does it make sense to keep paying Scott at an advanced age ? All remains to be seen I guess.

You complain that Scott is overrated and you would like to replace him with Jonathan Vilma? Vilma has to be pretty close to being the single most overrated player in the NFL. Of all the things Vilma may be, "beast" is none of them. The guy has made a career of making eventual tackles. Eventual as in after the runner has gained an extra 3 yards more than he should have - often after the first down is gained - Vilma eventually brings him down.

Good guy, but left a lot to be desired on the field. Tackling a guy after he gets dragged 3-4 yards after first contact isn't the same as tackling him at the point of contact.

I made the arguement about Vilma when he was here which was , "how many Tackles in the backfield does this guy make" Answer not many at least that was the case in Mangini's 3-4 system. hes not good at dealing with Lineman nor is he big enough. hes a 4-3 MLB and thats about it. Also agree hes certainly no beast.

"Better than Scott" is an incredibly tall order. Forget Vilma. As the link that Rutgers posted proved, there really ain't anyone in the league better than Scott at what he does.

Yeah Rex has not got a clue about Defensive players. Bart Is rubbish his numbers say so, Vilma is a stud.

Come on he's a Big safety in our scheme, not a 3-4 WLB or MIKE. It's why Mangina got ride of him. He's a great MLB but used to get tossed aside by Guards and could not shake blocks. He lacks the size and the power to play in the 3-4. Plus MLB in a 4-3 moves and reacts using his speed to make plays a 3-4 ILB's job is very different.

Bart Scott has great moments but he's also getting up there. The dude's day-to-day job is taking on guards, chances are he doesn't have a ton of football left.

Why? Because he's 31??? Please Bit, you know as well as anyone that players last longer these days, especially guys like Bart Scott who take emaculate care of their boddies and havent been riddled with injuries. Ray Lewis and James Farrior are 36/37 playing at a very high level. Bart Scott will probably do the same. He's got plenty of Football left.

Why? Because he's 31??? Please Bit, you know as well as anyone that players last longer these days, especially guys like Bart Scott who take emaculate care of their boddies and havent been riddled with injuries. Ray Lewis and James Farrior are 36/37 playing at a very high level. Bart Scott will probably do the same. He's got plenty of Football left.

Bart Scott doesn't sleep... he waits.

JIF they play different positions than Scott and have different assignments. If Scott is consistently taking on Guards hes also taking a huge beating opening things up for players like Harris and Lewis before that. Hes like the equvelent of a RB carrying the ball 300 times a year. That does not mean hes not capable just means after a while you begin to break down and Scott is always banged up but the credit to him is he keeps right on playing through it. The other thing about Scott is hes a little nuts so maybe hes built mentally to play through the pain some players just cant do that.

Bit that is laughable, I would be shocked if Burfict falls out of the top 10 let alone the top 20.

i actually agree with that but the sporting news rated him as a 3rd round prospect last week and in general ILB don't go very high. He'd have to work out like a freak and have no off the field issues to go top 10.

JIF they play different positions than Scott and have different assignments. If Scott is consistently taking on Guards hes also taking a huge beating opening things up for players like Harris and Lewis before that. Hes like the equvelent of a RB carrying the ball 300 times a year. That does not mean hes not capable just means after a while you begin to break down and Scott is always banged up but the credit to him is he keeps right on playing through it. The other thing about Scott is hes a little nuts so maybe hes built mentally to play through the pain some players just cant do that.

No, they all play ILB in a 3-4...different assignments within that position, sure. Lewis definitely plays a different role, but not Farrior. Farrior plays Scott's game while Timmons is now their Harris.

Either way, I dont see how this addresses my point. Scott is only 31, he takes unbelievable care of his body and no injury is significant if you can play through it and never miss time. Its not like he's had major surgeries, just some bumps and bruises that every NFL player endures.

My point was adressing Bit who was acting like he's wearing down because of age when he had his best season ever last year. Bart Scott, has plenty of Football left in him because players play further into their 30's then ever before, he takes great care of his body and he's really only played 5/6 season in the NFL.

And you both used taking on Guards as some type of barometer to measure how long someone can last in the NFL....dont see how that matters at all. JT takes on tackles and is playing into his late 30's, Trevor Pryce takes on both, Vrabel, Ellis...that doesnt mean anything, especially considering that Oline is a position that you can play late into your 30's as well.

The main issue here is finding a player better than, or even as good as, Scott is a whole lot more difficult than you seem to think it is.

I like Scott, but he's overrated. I think we could easily draft an even more consistent tackler to put next to Harris. In other words I'd like another Harris type player, one who leads by example and talks on the field. I know that all the "Bart is the qb of the defense" guys will pop up now on this thread, but I always think about what we could've had if Vilma and Harris were our two beasts in the middle. Bart's not a bad player, I just think he's Rex's buddy and attitude on the field. I'm always thinking of ways to better our defense, and honestly, if we had a younger tackling machine out there ala Harris wow we'd be even better. Yes I know Scott had 100 tckls last year and blah blah whatever...He just makes too many bone headed plays when his mouth gets in his way come playoff time.

There are a few LB's out there that are better than Scott, but overrated this dude is not.

No, they all play ILB in a 3-4...different assignments within that position, sure. Lewis definitely plays a different role, but not Farrior. Farrior plays Scott's game while Timmons is now their Harris.

Either way, I dont see how this addresses my point. Scott is only 31, he takes unbelievable care of his body and no injury is significant if you can play through it and never miss time. Its not like he's had major surgeries, just some bumps and bruises that every NFL player endures.

My point was adressing Bit who was acting like he's wearing down because of age when he had his best season ever last year. Bart Scott, has plenty of Football left in him because players play further into their 30's then ever before, he takes great care of his body and he's really only played 5/6 season in the NFL.

And you both used taking on Guards as some type of barometer to measure how long someone can last in the NFL....dont see how that matters at all. JT takes on tackles and is playing into his late 30's, Trevor Pryce takes on both, Vrabel, Ellis...that doesnt mean anything, especially considering that Oline is a position that you can play late into your 30's as well.

I don't think that Scott is going to fall off a cliff, but in the NFL whenever a player gets into his 30s you have to start looking into replacement. I do think there is a huge difference between what Scott does and what Jason Taylor does. Scott is taking on pulling guards and FBs. Guys that have a head of steam and it makes for a huge collision. A speed rusher going around the edge or a DE taking on their man at the LOS need more strength, but the blast isn't quite the same. The closest might be trying to set the edge, but I don't think it's quite the same shot. Think of it this way, why do you remember more bit hits by safeties than Dlineman?

In a 4-3 D!

He would be out of place in Rex's scheme, and he was not good in Mangini's.

Vilma actually led the team in tackles in his last year with the Jets, which was in a 3-4 defense......So I am not sure how you are defining good.....

Archived