Shonn Greene - I am not a fan

slats

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had similar thoughts as the OP...he's explosive at time but still a little too one dimensional...reminds me of a bowling ball type runner...obviously the type of runner we need in short yardage but not yet the workhorse back Rex is advertising...the OL was weak last night and we emphasized the pass from the get go...definitely starting to feel he's part of the stable versus the lead horse.

Hard to knock Greene because of last nights game. There clearly wasnt an emphasis to get the run game going at all.

It was by far the most lopsided pass vs. run in the Rex Sanchez era.

Hard to get it going when they are daring you to pass and gearing up to stop the run. Greene seems to be the kind of runner that needs to get carries to get going. I'm not worried.

Gotta give some of the credit to the Cowboys line. They played a great game, and don't forget Greene did not get a lot of plays called for him since we were more pass heavy last night. LT has to run it sometimes to keep the defense honest, and not think he's just there for the pass. Same with Greene conversely. Greene is no Peterson, Foster or C Johnson, obviously, but he'll be fine in this system. He had a few nice runs last night, but we were behind most of the game, so later in the game he didn't get many calls. I was very happy the way we utilized LT last night. When we play teams who aren't as tough up front, I guarantee Greene will run all over them.

I don't see this guy carrying the load at all. I think he's a quality closer. A guy you can hand it to when you're looking to grind out the game clock against a well worked opponent, but he's just not the man, IMHO. This has been my opinion of him for awhile, but it really hit home last night. LT, who didn't look good running the ball in the preseason, looked better than Greene yesterday.

Thing is, I don't want LT getting used like that. I like him as the third down back, but the Jets had no choice but to keep him in there full time once the urgency built up in the second half. That kinda use of LT will result in him running out of gas again at the end of the year. That's not good.

I want to see more McKnight. He showed something last year against Buffalo, he continues to show his selflessness on special teams. He deserves a bigger role on the offense, and the offense -I think- cold be better because of it. The Jets did something fascinating last night - they executed a couple beautiful screen passes! I would much prefer seeing McKnight on the receiving end of those than Greene. He's better catching the ball, and better in space. He can also split out wide and be effective there, or run the wildcat. The Jets could better disguise what they're next call will be with him in the huddle.

Also disappointed that Bilal Powell couldn't contribute enough on specials to be active. He needs to step up. Having him available would be nice.

Dallas was gap blitzing for 45 of the 60 minutes...you can't run on that effectively...Greene will be fine...we have a very balanced offensive attack potential...don't get caught up with numbers...our team is turning from a good football team to a great football team right in front of our eyes....hang in there...you will see

You guys watch with that blocked punt last night Joe McKnight is going to earn himself some carries this week. I think McKnight NOT Greene is the Jets future "bell cow" back. I think he can be a Chris Johnson "TYPE" runner-not as great but the same kind of back who even though he isn't a bruiser can still carry the bulk of the carries. Greene is Lamont Jordan 2.0

Hard to knock Greene because of last nights game. There clearly wasnt an emphasis to get the run game going at all.

It was by far the most lopsided pass vs. run in the Rex Sanchez era.

Hard to get it going when they are daring you to pass and gearing up to stop the run. Greene seems to be the kind of runner that needs to get carries to get going. I'm not worried.

I think what needs to be evaluated is what people expect out of Greene. He didn't provide much last night, but I don't think you're going to see Green be the type of guy who changes direction and gains yards by being shifty. When you're loading up to stop the run, Greene is the type of RB that relies on his offensive line to do the work in front of him and the O-Line was confused and medicore last night.

I think what needs to be evaluated is what people expect out of Greene. He didn't provide much last night, but I don't think you're going to see Green be the type of guy who changes direction and gains yards by being shifty. When you're loading up to stop the run, Greene is the type of RB that relies on his offensive line to do the work in front of him and the O-Line was confused and medicore last night.

He's a one cut, hit the hole, lower the pads, down hill runner. Its really perfect for the type of run game we deploy.

It was plainly obvious the Cowboys were coming in with one intention....shut down the run intirely and let Sanchez beat you. And it worked perfectly. They were selling out for the run with 8 in the box and sending run blitzes the entire night. And it worked damn near perfectly.

He's a one cut, hit the hole, lower the pads, down hill runner. Its really perfect for the type of run game we deploy.

It was plainly obvious the Cowboys were coming in with one intention....shut down the run intirely and let Sanchez beat you. And it worked perfectly. They were selling out for the run with 8 in the box and sending run blitzes the entire night. And it worked damn near perfectly.

I personally think Sanchez had a better game than you're giving him credit for, but I do agree, that's what they were aiming to do. I heard somewhere that Mangold was ******* pissed last night due to the fact that HE couldn't figure out the protection. If you're confusing Mangold I think that says a sh*t ton about that Cowboys D.

I don't see this guy carrying the load at all. I think he's a quality closer. A guy you can hand it to when you're looking to grind out the game clock against a well worked opponent, but he's just not the man, IMHO. This has been my opinion of him for awhile, but it really hit home last night. LT, who didn't look good running the ball in the preseason, looked better than Greene yesterday.

Thing is, I don't want LT getting used like that. I like him as the third down back, but the Jets had no choice but to keep him in there full time once the urgency built up in the second half. That kinda use of LT will result in him running out of gas again at the end of the year. That's not good.

I want to see more McKnight. He showed something last year against Buffalo, he continues to show his selflessness on special teams. He deserves a bigger role on the offense, and the offense -I think- cold be better because of it. The Jets did something fascinating last night - they executed a couple beautiful screen passes! I would much prefer seeing McKnight on the receiving end of those than Greene. He's better catching the ball, and better in space. He can also split out wide and be effective there, or run the wildcat. The Jets could better disguise what they're next call will be with him in the huddle.

Also disappointed that Bilal Powell couldn't contribute enough on specials to be active. He needs to step up. Having him available would be nice.

I agree somewhat with you slats but I don't think McNight is the answer. LT has clearly lost his burst and is now just a reliable pass catcher and blocker out of the backfield. Powell looks a little too small to carry the load but he seems to have that compact burst. Only one game but Greene was not impressive, and neither was the OL. Problem with the OL is I think we are now overrating Slauson a bit as a quality starting LG and Hunter might have just shot his lucky load during the tail end of last years playoff run filling in for Woody.

I personally think Sanchez had a better game than you're giving him credit for, but I do agree, that's what they were aiming to do. I heard somewhere that Mangold was ******* pissed last night due to the fact that HE couldn't figure out the protection. If you're confusing Mangold I think that says a sh*t ton about that Cowboys D.

Good point. Shows how unbelievably good the Ryans are at running a defense.

Meh, the Cowboys had his number. Multiple 3 and outs, a bunch of punts, a couple turnovers. He essentially had 2 really good drives. Beyond that, they controlled him, he didnt control them.

At the end of the day, you have to give credit to Rob Ryan. He had a great game plan and an under gunned team executed enough to what should have been a walk away victory.

I agree. I was pretty hard on sanchez at times last night but protection was breaking down constantly. Tbh, I think the Jets were out-coached on both sides of the ball last night.

Meh, the Cowboys had his number. Multiple 3 and outs, a bunch of punts, a couple turnovers. He essentially had 2 really good drives. Beyond that, they controlled him, he didnt control them.

At the end of the day, you have to give credit to Rob Ryan. He had a great game plan and an under gunned team executed enough to what should have been a walk away victory.

I think we are looking at the same thing through a different lens. I view Sanchez putting together those drives as a positive against a Ryan defense. You look at what both Rob and Rex do to Qb's in this league, it's pretty astonishing. The game came down to the 3rd aspect of the game, special teams.

For both Greene and Sanchez I'm taking this game as a wash. Although I think there was more to be happy about with Sanchez. I'm interested to see what they do this upcoming week against Jax.

I agree. I was pretty hard on sanchez at times last night but protection was breaking down constantly. Tbh, I think the Jets were out-coached on both sides of the ball last night.

Especially after half-time. Cowboys came out with some different wrinkles on offense we didn't have an answer for. More screens, swing passes, and TE's over the middle.

I wouldnt give up on Greene just yet. Yes he had his best games as a rookie but Dallas defense was phenomenal last night. This Demarcus Ware dude is a freaking animal who needs to be tranquilized if we play them again. He single handedly terrorized Sanchez and that entire offensive line.

Greene needs to get a couple good games under his belt to build confidence. I think we will miss Damien woody ALOT. This hunter guy was getting pwned last night.

I'm not knocking Greene because of Sunday's game, but Sunday's game didn't do anything to alter my opinion of Greene. He's a one trick pony, and his one trick isn't so great that he should be starting on the Jets. His best role is that of a downhill bulldozer in the fourth quarter of a win. In the first three quarters, his liabilities as a pass catcher aren't overcome by his marginal abilities running the football.

He already looks to be in danger of losing his job to LT (again), and that's not good for the team, either. LT could be the best third down back in football, or he could be a worn out old man getting far too many reps. I prefer option A.

I say they should give McKnight more reps on offense because he's already shown something, and he's the other RB who's active. If Powell shows enough in practice, then get him out there. That's fine with me.

In the end, I think Greene will run out his contract here and be done. Hopefully the Jets don't invest in another RB who can't catch.

• 2 weeks later...

Its disappointing to see Greene underwhelming... when we drafted him, in the playoffs in Rex's first year and in spot duty his first few seasons he looked at times like a young Jamal Lewis, just a bowling ball with fat little legs... had really high hopes for him, but its becoming clear none of our RBs are going to breakout behind this O-line.

If that's the case then Tomlinson should be starting.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that Tomlinson has been running worse than Greene despite having chances at an easier down and distance to gain ypc. I think the problem is the blocking and I believe they will fix themselves or we will continue to have a fairly easy time passing.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that Tomlinson has been running worse than Greene despite having chances at an easier down and distance to gain ypc. I think the problem is the blocking and I believe they will fix themselves or we will continue to have a fairly easy time passing.

yep...we definitely disagree then. Tomlinson to me has the better vision, more burst, more of a threat to catch the ball. Greene reminds me of Blair Thomas honestly. Another Big 10 stiff.

Jax was playing 8 in the box with the other safety up for a good portion of that game. They blitzed a whopping total of 2 times. That and through two weeks our line is ranked right at the bottom of the league in run blocking. I don't even know how you evaluate a RB when your QB is this mediocre and the line plays this poorly.

yep...we definitely disagree then. Tomlinson to me has the better vision, more burst, more of a threat to catch the ball. Greene reminds me of Blair Thomas honestly. Another Big 10 stiff.

Feel free to disagree, but Blair Thomas never ran with power. You may have a problem with Greene's vision, but at least he hits hard. Thomas was a pussy and ran too wide and not low enough. FWIW, Greene caught the ball pretty well on Sunday and Tomlinson spit up an easy one. I won't argue which is better, but McKnight seemed a cut below both. Of course McKnight also had the joy of running when everybody in the stadium knew they weren't going to throw so it wasn't really fair.

Feel free to disagree, but Blair Thomas never ran with power. You may have a problem with Greene's vision, but at least he hits hard. Thomas was a pussy and ran too wide and not low enough. FWIW, Greene caught the ball pretty well on Sunday and Tomlinson spit up an easy one. I won't argue which is better, but McKnight seemed a cut below both. Of course McKnight also had the joy of running when everybody in the stadium knew they weren't going to throw so it wasn't really fair.

Greene hasn't been running with any power this season. He's been a tripping clumsy mess dating back to last year.

Archived