So, anything positive we can pull from this game?

Bleedin Green

There's a ton of sh*t to be talked about this team and it's all pretty much accurate. The offense is an absolute train-wreck from OL to QB, and that's just on the field. However, there's enough other threads crapping on this team and very little to disagree with it on, so I figured let's present ourselves with something a little more challenging to accomplish. So the question is are there are any nuggets of positivity to pull out of this mess? Obviously the defense as an entire unit showed a MAJOR turnaround from last week, and put on one hell of a performance, but beyond just that, I was thinking more specifically. Two items in particular I thought of:

1. Joe McKnight has clearly shown that he's come to play. After an awful start to his rookie year, a lot of people questioned pretty much everything about the guy and whether he was even cut out for the NFL. Fast forward a year and while the guy doesn't get a ton of chances to get on the field, he sure seems to make a whole lot out of them. His blocked punt week 1 obviously got a lot of publicity and now this week he forced a fumble on the opening kickoff (although Baltimore recovered), returned his first KR for a TD, applied the pressure that forced Flacco's INT on a blitz and then threw a block for Harris on the return. The kid is working his a$$ off for sure and frankly, with how much of a mess this offense is, I can't think of a single reason why the Jets shouldn't get him the ball on offense and see if he can do anything with it. He certainly can't do any worse than the current Jets running game.

2. Aaron Maybin might be one hell of a steal for the Jets. His first week on the Jets regular season roster ends with his first active game with the team, and in that game, he outproduced Gholston's 3 years here and his own 2 years back in Buffalo, tallying a strip sack while getting at least one other pressure. The kid is fast as hell off the snap, significantly more so than any other player on the Jets, and keeps on hustling at full speed, even when he gets pushed out wide or over-pursues. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's suddenly some great answer for the Jets as a starter, but he certainly brought something from a pass rush standpoint that the Jets simply haven't had on this roster in a very long time.

Thoughts on this? Any other kernels of corn to pull out of this heaping pile of sh*t?

I absolutely love having Maybin. He is a complete luxury, but it's great to have him on 3rd and 7 or more. Those were the same two things that I would have picked out of this game. Another thing I noticed was that on the one TD that the D gave up, not only did Thomas go down, but Scott was on the bench. I'm not sure if he got dinged or was pulled, but it was ****ed up.

i said it before. it absolutely boggled my mind that maybin recorded 0 sacks in his first years in the league.he played a coupla pre season games for the jets,and though he is a one trick pony, i just couldnt see him NOT getting to the qb every game.

I absolutely love having Maybin. He is a complete luxury, but it's great to have him on 3rd and 7 or more. Those were the same two things that I would have picked out of this game. Another thing I noticed was that on the one TD that the D gave up, not only did Thomas go down, but Scott was on the bench. I'm not sure if he got dinged or was pulled, but it was ****ed up.

Yeah maybin, McKnight and Wilky wasn't all bad. They been putting in Mauga in short yardage I noticed. Maybe a bit faster? I dunno. But they will yank Scott for Mauga now and then.

I love me some McKnight and Maybin wasn't half bad. Wilkerson continues to impress. That's about it.

Good call on Wilkerson. He didn't show a whole ton in the preseason and was already gathering some critics just based on that, but he's definitely shown some serious ability and made some great plays so far this year. Definitely pretty damn impressive for a late first rounder thrust into a starting role on a damn good (and quite complicated D).

Yeah maybin, McKnight and Wilky wasn't all bad. They been putting in Mauga in short yardage I noticed. Maybe a bit faster? I dunno. But they will yank Scott for Mauga now and then.

Short yardage? Maybe, but did they do it short yardage goal line? That doesn't make sense to me. Scott is the guy you want in there filling the running lane. He was out for a long time, possibly the entire drive.

I honestly never saw enough of him in Buffalo to judge his play there, but I feel like something has to be different here, because I absolutely agree with you, it just doesn't make any sense. Who knows, it could be this is a better fit for him system wise, maybe it was something in working with the Jets staff, or maybe it was just something with him personally, and that Buffalo just didn't work for him and now he's extra motivated to prove his ability given a chance with another team. Whatever it is, it really is odd. But whatever, he brings a speed rush aspect to the Jets defense that it's been lacking since the trade of John Abraham, so I'll sure as hell take it, whatever the reason is.

McKnight got sh*tted on like crazy last year, only fair that he gets credit when he plays very well. I'd really like to see him get snaps on offense. Our offensive line has sucked, but Shonn Greene pretty much just puts his head down and plows for 2-3 yards. McKnight seems like a guy who can be shifty in open space.

I wanted Maybin to be kept around and am pleased with his effort level. The guy may be very limited in his skill-set, but you can't fault the guy's effort. Whenever he's in there, he just pins his ears back and goes. Even if he doesn't quite get there, he forces the QB to step into the pocket and at worst pulls out the tackle away from the LOS. He's light and only has one move, but he's just so damn fast and quick. If he could learn to make some kind of inside move he'd be even more dangerous.

How is it not clear to everyone that Eric Smith is the weak spot of the defense in coverage. He's the guy offenses are continually picking on. How was it not vastly apparent to the coaching staff that our lbers and safeties are liabilities in coverage? It's been that way for a while now.

I honestly never saw enough of him in Buffalo to judge his play there, but I feel like something has to be different here, because I absolutely agree with you, it just doesn't make any sense. Who knows, it could be this is a better fit for him system wise, maybe it was something in working with the Jets staff, or maybe it was just something with him personally, and that Buffalo just didn't work for him and now he's extra motivated to prove his ability given a chance with another team. Whatever it is, it really is odd. But whatever, he brings a speed rush aspect to the Jets defense that it's been lacking since the trade of John Abraham, so I'll sure as hell take it, whatever the reason is.

I didn't follow it that closely, but I thought that the new coaching staff in buffalo just shunned him by midseason. Although, what we're asking of him is so much less than what Buffalo probably expected of him. We're just asking him to be the 3rd and long pass-rusher. They probably wanted him to be an every down player and were frustrated that he A) Doesn't play specials and B )doesn't play the run.

I didn't follow it that closely, but I thought that the new coaching staff in buffalo just shunned him by midseason. Although, what we're asking of him is so much less than what Buffalo probably expected of him. We're just asking him to be the 3rd and long pass-rusher. They probably wanted him to be an every down player and were frustrated that he A) Doesn't play specials and B )doesn't play the run.

Yeah. He goes all out on every play. I'm willing to be that he wasn't doing that in Buffalo and probably couldn't if he played more downs.

1. Wilkerson is going to be awesome.

2. Bart Scott is still awesome.

3. Darrelle Revis is still really awesome.

2. Though not an equal replacement due to how great of a season Thomas was having, Westerman actually looked pretty decent.

3. ST's have been fantastic through 4 games. Best unit of the 3 on the team by far.

Wilkerson looked good once again, Wilson too, we didn't lose much at LB when BT went down, Maybin didn't quit on his pursuit of the QB, the Jets are trying to turn Sanchez into the shell-shocked version of David Carr, McKnight can play football, and I am so wound up I can't sleep.

Aaron Maybin has a high motor. This kid is fast, but whats better is that he doesnt slow down until the play is over. You can work with a player like that. Sit westerman down. Dude isn cutting it. Maybin is producing in that capacity....so lets just plug him in and stop wasting everyone's time. We miss Woody and Ellis however Wilkerson is okay. Im not super impressed but he's making plays.

McKnight man'd up tonight for sure. We obviously need an offensive coordinator, but I think that it was finally realized tonight so thats a great thing.

Edit: and let me show some love to a player we RARELY talk about. Brian Thomas is holding it down for the LB core. He's having imo the best season out of the LB's in respects to consistency.

A couple years ago we wanted to cut him, now we cant replace him. Westerman has been alot of hype.

I also would like to see Conner in the RB position. I like his running style for a big man. I'd like to see him get the ball and put his shoulder down and to dare people to tackle this guy. We need to really shake this f'ing offense up.

Colin Baxter played a little better as the game went on so while it's killing us now, I'm hoping this accellerates his development. Definitely a case of baptism by fire but these reps could help turn him in to a solid back-up O-lineman which we obviously need. Kris Jenkins was talking him up quite a bit on facebook saying he thinks he's going to be around for a while if his effort stays where it was tonight. Dude was definitely rattled early but didn't quit.

How is it not clear to everyone that Eric Smith is the weak spot of the defense in coverage. He's the guy offenses are continually picking on. How was it not vastly apparent to the coaching staff that our lbers and safeties are liabilities in coverage? It's been that way for a while now.

In a way, fair enough. At the same time, it's like saying "so and so is our worst employee." Well, yeah, there's always one or two or three who are the worst at anything. Could he be upgraded? Sure. But, ideally you would base that case around other games. I mean, considering Flacco went 0/11 on pass attempts at one stretch of the game, it's not as if the Ravens were lighting it up.

Further, Eric Smith had ridiculous assignments today. If memory serves, they had him on guys like Ray Rice on more than one occasion... or other such obvious mismatches. No safety should get that unless they're just elite. If Rex wants to play with 4 corners on the field, then I don't know why he doesn't just do that. Putting a Strong Safety man to man on a guy that a corner should cover is not gonna work.

Positives:

McKnight: killer runback, plus got some time on defense? Wow. This guy is improving.

Maybin: showing signs of life!

Wilkerson: good game

Harris: didn't get run down on his int. return, as was expected

Folk: still perfect on field goals this season. Through 4 games, admit it, that's surprising!

Revis: still Revis

Cro: bounced back somewhat

In a way, fair enough. At the same time, it's like saying "so and so is our worst employee." Well, yeah, there's always one or two or three who are the worst at anything. Could he be upgraded? Sure. But, ideally you would base that case around other games. I mean, considering Flacco went 0/11 on pass attempts at one stretch of the game, it's not as if the Ravens were lighting it up.

Further, Eric Smith had ridiculous assignments today. If memory serves, they had him on guys like Ray Rice on more than one occasion... or other such obvious mismatches. No safety should get that unless they're just elite. If Rex wants to play with 4 corners on the field, then I don't know why he doesn't just do that. Putting a Strong Safety man to man on a guy that a corner should cover is not gonna work.

Positives:

McKnight: killer runback, plus got some time on defense? Wow. This guy is improving.

Folk: still perfect on field goals this season. Through 4 games, admit it, that's surprising!

Our defense as a whole had a very nice bounce back performance proving last week was a fluke. Still waiting for the day when I can say the same thing about our offense.

Wilkerson looked good once again, Wilson too, we didn't lose much at LB when BT went down, Maybin didn't quit on his pursuit of the QB, the Jets are trying to turn Sanchez into the shell-shocked version of David Carr, McKnight can play football, and I am so wound up I can't sleep.

I've been really impressed with Wilson so far this year. I honestly think it may be only a matter of time before he passes Cromartie on the depth chart. Cro is wildly inconsitent and sooner or later he's going to piss Rex off enough that Wilson is going to get himself a crack at the starting job. The one thing that could possibly keep that from happening is that I just don't think Cro has the proper skill set to handle the nickel job. If anything, Wilson could end up taking over as starter at some point and slide inside when the Jets go to 5+ DB packages.

While we're supposed to be staying positive here, I will say when watching last night the David Carr comparison absolutely came to my mind too..... ugh.

Positives:

LOL, glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that. Flashes of the Pats playoff game were going through my mind as it seemed he was just barely staying a half step ahead of the Ravens players for the last 20 yards of that runback.

There's a ton of sh*t to be talked about this team and it's all pretty much accurate. The offense is an absolute train-wreck from OL to QB, and that's just on the field. However, there's enough other threads crapping on this team and very little to disagree with it on, so I figured let's present ourselves with something a little more challenging to accomplish. So the question is are there are any nuggets of positivity to pull out of this mess? Obviously the defense as an entire unit showed a MAJOR turnaround from last week, and put on one hell of a performance, but beyond just that, I was thinking more specifically. Two items in particular I thought of:

1. Joe McKnight has clearly shown that he's come to play. After an awful start to his rookie year, a lot of people questioned pretty much everything about the guy and whether he was even cut out for the NFL. Fast forward a year and while the guy doesn't get a ton of chances to get on the field, he sure seems to make a whole lot out of them. His blocked punt week 1 obviously got a lot of publicity and now this week he forced a fumble on the opening kickoff (although Baltimore recovered), returned his first KR for a TD, applied the pressure that forced Flacco's INT on a blitz and then threw a block for Harris on the return. The kid is working his a$$ off for sure and frankly, with how much of a mess this offense is, I can't think of a single reason why the Jets shouldn't get him the ball on offense and see if he can do anything with it. He certainly can't do any worse than the current Jets running game.

2. Aaron Maybin might be one hell of a steal for the Jets. His first week on the Jets regular season roster ends with his first active game with the team, and in that game, he outproduced Gholston's 3 years here and his own 2 years back in Buffalo, tallying a strip sack while getting at least one other pressure. The kid is fast as hell off the snap, significantly more so than any other player on the Jets, and keeps on hustling at full speed, even when he gets pushed out wide or over-pursues. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's suddenly some great answer for the Jets as a starter, but he certainly brought something from a pass rush standpoint that the Jets simply haven't had on this roster in a very long time.

Thoughts on this? Any other kernels of corn to pull out of this heaping pile of sh*t?

I think you are asking a lot of us right now.

Mo Wilkerson is an absolute beast. The guy never stops moving and he looks unblockable at times. Guy is a stud. Full blown stud. Really excited about his future.

McKnight and Maybin were great to see but you're not going to see it often me thinks.

So my 1 positive was Mo Wilk. He's a stud. The defense was lights out in general but his play stood out the most. He's very good already.

I thought the D was pretty much lights out after their usual slow start. Late though they did start giving up yards on the ground running to Williams

Kyle Wilson: Much improved over last year

Wilkerson: Stud in the making

McKnight: The guy has been an absolute stud on ST this year. If Greene doesn't start producing some runs I wouldn't mind seeing McKnight getting more involved with Offense.

I think you are asking a lot of us right now.

No argument there, but figuring I know that this board, rightfully so, is going to be flooded with some serious negativity over the next week (at minimum), I was hoping to have at least one haven of positivity. As difficult as it is to see, there were some positive points out there, and as you pointed out, Wilkerson is looking like a great pick for this team so far.

I thought the D was pretty much lights out after their usual slow start. Late though they did start giving up yards on the ground running to Williams

Kyle Wilson: Much improved over last year

Wilkerson: Stud in the making

McKnight: The guy has been an absolute stud on ST this year. If Greene doesn't start producing some runs I wouldn't mind seeing McKnight getting more involved with Offense.

Forgot about Wilson. Guy is shutting bitches down. Very good to see.

No argument there, but figuring I know that this board, rightfully so, is going to be flooded with some serious negativity over the next week (at minimum), I was hoping to have at least one haven of positivity. As difficult as it is to see, there were some positive points out there, and as you pointed out, Wilkerson is looking like a great pick for this team so far.

Like I said above, forgot about Wilson...he's looking studly too. The defense is still very good. Our Dline is sick and has a lot of depth.

There you go.

Things I think are good:

-The games we lost weren't division games.

-Keeping Mangold out another week makes for some angry fans, but healing his leg is the best choice.

-Teams might start thinking we suck, which will make for some nice wins when Mangold comes back.

-We have a long season ahead, and all our division games are still in play.

-We're only one game off the division lead, and tied for the wildcard.

I was able to relegate the Jets to the 17" laptop while I watched Dexter in HD on the big screen.

I'm impressed that you bothered to even keep the game on at all. After a while in the second half I flipped over to my PS3 and played a quick game of Madden just so I could actually see the Jets offense score a TD. It was exhilirating.

Archived