Dustin Keller

Smashmouth

So right on que hes pulled his dissapearing act and had the ball ripped from his hands for the third time in his career. Sure it was a bad throw but he did gain full control of the ball so no excuses . When will this guy ever become a consistent threat ? Are we just blinded by the few great games he has each year and assume he will put it together every week ? His few great games show us the talent is there so whats stopping this guy from being a superstar we all think he can be . Is it that his number is just not called enough in the offense ? Tough to judge this guy based on so many variables but as fast as he is he should almost always be the second option on passing plays

He's frustrating as hell. He's very talented and it shows in flashes, but he's inconsistent like you said in both blocking and receiving. To me, it just seems like he's not putting in the effort 100% of the time.

I have not focused on him a lot this year, but I remember last year during games when he was not involved early, he would start to jog when running his routes and not play up to his ability.

Yup, agree on both accounts . The one thing I noticed that drives me nuts is the guy does not like to go up for balls over the middle he gets the alligator arms.

And as for the quote by jetsfan220 this is a cardinal sin of a TE, the great ones have a big motor and when their QB gets in trouble they need to try and be as visible as possible too many times we see Sanchez Scramble out of trouble with no one to throw the ball too . This could be offnsive design possibly sending him on patterns that are too deep taking up too much time. I say use him more as a safety blanket for Sanchez like most teams do with TE's an we might see more production.

Yup, agree on both accounts . The one thing I noticed that drives me nuts is the guy does not like to go up for balls over the middle he gets the alligator arms.

And as for the quote by jetsfan220 this is a cardinal sin of a TE, the great ones have a big motor and when their QB gets in trouble they need to try and be as visible as possible too many times we see Sanchez Scramble out of trouble with no one to throw the ball too . This could be offnsive design possibly sending him on patterns that are too deep taking up too much time. I say use him more as a safety blanket for Sanchez like most teams do with TE's an we might see more production.

I think he got his alligator arms after that hit by Ray Lewis in last seasons opener

I agree with needing him to be more of a safety option also. It seems like that role always goes to our RBs which is ok but many times they start the play in as an extra pass blocker and by the time they release, get open and sanchez finds them its too late.

What I've noticed lately is that he's getting extra attention. I think his hot start has got him drawing double teams. Part of the reason why Plax was seeing 1 on 1 in the end zone yesterday.

Seems like every throw thats been going his way lately has been into double coverage or the teeth of a zone. Scheme? Teams defending him differently? Dont know, but they have to be more creative getting him the ball.

He reminds me of Ben Watson. Has a couple of great games every season, makes a circus catch or two, and then goes missing (not to mention dropping easy catches or fumbling). The guy has a lot of skill. Not sure what his problem is when it comes to consistency.

I can't blame anyone specifically for disappearing in this offense. My complaint with Keller is that he jumps for balls he doesn't have to jump for and breaks his stride seemingly every time he makes a catch. Catch the ball in stride. And when he does get some YAC, its always like he's falling forward or running at defenders. Be an athlete for Christ sakes, Remember when people we're saying he could be the WR3 when he was drafted based off his youtube highlight. Ha.

As far as the rest of the receivers. I feel like they only run good routes when its a designed play for them. Which means no ones ever open.

Disappeared? You guys are ridiculous. He had the most yards and catches on the team and his damage came after the fumble. He had a huge 3rd down catch and drew a defensive holding on another. I'm not saying the guy is a monster or even had a huge game, but if he had these numbers over the course of the season he'd have something like 65 catches for 850 yards. Most of the backseat GMs on this board want to pay #1 WR money for that kind of production. He's a quality receiving TE. Nothing more.

Is he a FA after this season?

No but he did hire a new agent meaning he was looking for a new deal after the season. I thought when he had the fast start he was in contract mode and we would get a huge season. Unfortunately it was just his usual few weeks of good play followed by weeks of invisibility. He is scheduled for a raise of a few million next season, but I have a hard time believing the Jets will extend him early.

So right on que hes pulled his dissapearing act and had the ball ripped from his hands for the third time in his career. Sure it was a bad throw but he did gain full control of the ball so no excuses . When will this guy ever become a consistent threat ? Are we just blinded by the few great games he has each year and assume he will put it together every week ? His few great games show us the talent is there so whats stopping this guy from being a superstar we all think he can be . Is it that his number is just not called enough in the offense ? Tough to judge this guy based on so many variables but as fast as he is he should almost always be the second option on passing plays

It was a bad throw, and he didnt have full control of the football because he wasnt able to tuck it. That pass should have actually been considered a int because of it. Not to pass blame on sanchez to make Keller look better, but as usual people like to create these type of threads about Keller yet he's done enough this year to warrant double teams and he's the most productive receiver on this team.

And as for his disappearing act, thats due to the fact that we have a moron as an O.C.

Keller is a beast. If you want him to stop disappearing in games I suggest you put in your resume for the O.C. job. You'll have my blessing. Anything is better than that moron we have already.

No but he did hire a new agent meaning he was looking for a new deal after the season. I thought when he had the fast start he was in contract mode and we would get a huge season. Unfortunately it was just his usual few weeks of good play followed by weeks of invisibility. He is scheduled for a raise of a few million next season, but I have a hard time believing the Jets will extend him early.

I really like Keller, but I hope the Jets don't overpay for this guy. He's too inconsistent to get paid with the elite tight ends.

I really like Keller, but I hope the Jets don't overpay for this guy. He's too inconsistent to get paid with the elite tight ends.

Most TEs are pretty inconsistent so I dont think that plays a major role. I think the issue is that when a guy like Dallas Clark would pull a no show at a similar stage of his career he would also throw in a few ridiculous catches which Keller rarely does. Keller has all the physical tools to be like some of the others but it never shows on the field. Im not too up on the TE position, but I think the higher end is right around 7 million per year with the difference being in the guarantees that separate a Jason Witten from a Marcedes Lewis. My guess is for Keller to get there he is going to have to finish a year with 750-850 yards and anywhere from 7-10TDs. Hes probably on pace for the higher end yardage so he has a chance to get a new deal, though the TDs will probably lack.

Most TEs are pretty inconsistent so I dont think that plays a major role. I think the issue is that when a guy like Dallas Clark would pull a no show at a similar stage of his career he would also throw in a few ridiculous catches which Keller rarely does. Keller has all the physical tools to be like some of the others but it never shows on the field. Im not too up on the TE position, but I think the higher end is right around 7 million per year with the difference being in the guarantees that separate a Jason Witten from a Marcedes Lewis. My guess is for Keller to get there he is going to have to finish a year with 750-850 yards and anywhere from 7-10TDs. Hes probably on pace for the higher end yardage so he has a chance to get a new deal, though the TDs will probably lack.

Lewis got his contract and now he can't produce if his life depended on it.

Yards -

He is #6 among TEs with 372

1. Graham 674 (6th)

2. Witten 449 (16th)

3. Fred Davis 423 (20th)

4. Gronkowski 401 (23rd)

5. Gonzalez 380 (28th)

6. Keller 372 (30th in NFL [1st on jets])

Catches -

13th among TEs (25) - 1st on Jets

YPC - 14.9 (3rd among TEs with 20 or more catches - Davis - 15.1; Graham - 15.0)

YPG -

#7 among NFL TEs

1. Graham - 96.3

2. Witten - 74.8

3. Hernandez - 72.2

4. F Davis - 70.5

5. Gronk - 66.8

6. Gonzo -54.3

7. Keller - 53.1

TDs - not really on the chart

20+ - 7 20+ plays. He is tied with a group of receivers for 7th most (officially 16 recievers with more)

#5 among TEs

not bad

I personally think he's underrated by Jets fans however I do think he needs a compliment with a #2 TE (something they don't have), as he's certainly not a bonafide game changer. But I think he's a little better than just average.

I agree that he needs a #2 TE that compliments him. John Carlsen's name should come up in the offseason all those months away. Ben Patrick is maybe still interesting and available...

It was a bad throw, and he didnt have full control of the football because he wasnt able to tuck it. That pass should have actually been considered a int because of it. Not to pass blame on sanchez to make Keller look better, but as usual people like to create these type of threads about Keller yet he's done enough this year to warrant double teams and he's the most productive receiver on this team.

And as for his disappearing act, thats due to the fact that we have a moron as an O.C.

Keller is a beast. If you want him to stop disappearing in games I suggest you put in your resume for the O.C. job. You'll have my blessing. Anything is better than that moron we have already.

Villain I dont think Keller is a beast not even in the same zip code as a beast but I do agree some of the blame should go on how he is utilized (you know how I feel about shotty). Personally I think the guy is soft and refuses to extend for a ball over the middle or with defenders in the area. You would think he would be a more physical player but he is not. Hes the type of player who dissapears for 3 , 4 sometimes 5 games at a time contributing nothing since he cant block, but we Jets fans hang our hopes on a few good games a year. There is a reason the Jets were shopping for a TE in the Off season. When is this guy going to make a tough catch and make defenders pay for trying to tackle him ? When will he catch a ball and not start tripping and falling on his face ?

Most TE's in the NFL are security blankets for their QB's and to be 100 % honest I cant tell if its the way we use him or if its him giving up on plays that makes it hard for Sanchez to use him in that capacity. But if he were a beast, as many times as Sanchez has to scramble out of trouble you should surely see him catching more balls . I think the Jets going after Todd Heap was a telling Sign.

Villain I dont think Keller is a beast not even in the same zip code as a beast but I do agree some of the blame should go on how he is utilized (you know how I feel about shotty). Personally I think the guy is soft and refuses to extend for a ball over the middle or with defenders in the area. You would think he would be a more physical player but he is not. Hes the type of player who dissapears for 3 , 4 sometimes 5 games at a time contributing nothing since he cant block, but we Jets fans hang our hopes on a few good games a year. There is a reason the Jets were shopping for a TE in the Off season. When is this guy going to make a tough catch and make defenders pay for trying to tackle him ? When will he catch a ball and not start tripping and falling on his face ?

Most TE's in the NFL are security blankets for their QB's and to be 100 % honest I cant tell if its the way we use him or if its him giving up on plays that makes it hard for Sanchez to use him in that capacity. But if he were a beast, as many times as Sanchez has to scramble out of trouble you should surely see him catching more balls . I think the Jets going after Todd Heap was a telling Sign.

I cant dismiss some of your points, so I'll accept them. I guess what I should have said it that Keller has the potential to be a beast if we was part of the offense of a daily basis. Maybe im not seeing what you're seeing but im very content with Dustin...you've made your point though.

Archived