I would like to draft a first or second round RB next year

BaltimoreJet

How does it feel to want? :D

That's just not what the Jets do. They haven't taken a RB in the first round since Blair Thomas (talk about being snake-bit). Since Bradway took over the team, the philosophy has been to draft projects at the RB position and work them in. They drafted Jordan to backup Martin, Greene to backup Thomas. They brought in 4th rounders the last two years. That's the way they treat the position. If LT retires after this year, they'll promote McKnight and start working Powell in.

I'd like to see them take a WR high, too, but they haven't done that since Santana Moss.

Next year, I'd expect to see either LB, S, or OL in the first round.

I would draft SKILL positions early and often in next years draft. One thing we are lacking on offense is team speed. The only player we have who can stretch a defense is Holmes.

Shonn Greene is simply not a starting RB.... Much too slow...

greene is not a flash running back.he is a bruiser,obviously.he is the jets starter.i have no complaints

I would draft SKILL positions early and often in next years draft. One thing we are lacking on offense is team speed. The only player we have who can stretch a defense is Holmes.

Watched an interview with Joe McKnight today. He claims he's the fastest guy on the team. I've noticed, on the few reps he gets, they frequently shift him up as a WR.

Think your going to see him deep in time if the right coverage is there

It would be great to have a quicker gap shooter but Green is a crasher and will be the guy till he can't go. For scat back types we haven't come close to seeing what McKnight can do and Powell may be able to hit some of those holes faster than Greene but he's still earning his way into wearing a jersey on Sundays. I want a taller safety and we need to be bringing up a receiver or 2. Kerley looks like a keeper out of the slot but we're down to stems and seeds after that .

Yeah, you're probably right.

Even though we have Greene, LT, and McKnight, we should draft a starting RB before we address a pass rusher, a safety, or offensive line depth.

Good grief. :face:

no

DE, RT early

TE, S WR late

Why DE early? Unless you're saying a hybrid guy DE/OLB, I don't get that. The Jets have no less than 7 guys they trust on the d-line, which is pretty amazing: DeVito, Pouha, Wilkerson, Ellis, Dixon, Pitouitoua, MTV. 2 of those guys are rookies and DeVito and others have plenty of years left. If the Jets re-sign Pouha (I think he's up next year), I would go with a pass-rushing OLB first and foremost.

Other positions, I agree: RT, S, WR.

I like the original poster's point. It's clear that the Jets philosophy of plugging in 3rd and 4th rounders at RB just isn't working. I'm torn between the fact that I like Greene in general, but no way he should be an everydown back. He never makes things happen on his own.

Why DE early? Unless you're saying a hybrid guy DE/OLB, I don't get that. The Jets have no less than 7 guys they trust on the d-line, which is pretty amazing: DeVito, Pouha, Wilkerson, Ellis, Dixon, Pitouitoua, MTV. 2 of those guys are rookies and DeVito and others have plenty of years left. If the Jets re-sign Pouha (I think he's up next year), I would go with a pass-rushing OLB first and foremost.

I like the original poster's point. It's clear that the Jets philosophy of plugging in 3rd and 4th rounders at RB just isn't working. I'm torn between the fact that I like Greene in general, but no way he should be an everydown back. He never makes things happen on his own.

because we need a guy who is an impact player, not a guy they just trust.

because we need a guy who is an impact player, not a guy they just trust.

I guess it depends on how you define these things. To me, Pouha and DeVito have been excellent and are both "impact" players, but with 3 down linemen they are primarily busy occupying the offensive line. Meanwhile, we don't know about Wilkerson yet. He's already "decent", but what is his ceiling? We'll find out.

In the 2nd level though, we have no one opposite of Pace. Thomas is getting up there in years, and coming off this injury he may be done with his career. We need a true impact player at OLB opposite of Pace.

Even if you just compare depth. Let's say we do bring back Thomas, and either Thomas or Pace get injured again. You've got practically nothing behind that... Westerman and Mauga? Pfft.

Whereas if one of our d-linemen goes down, you know the line can still work it with Ellis, Pitouitoua and others behind the starters.

How does it feel to want? :biggrin:

That's just not what the Jets do. They haven't taken a RB in the first round since Blair Thomas (talk about being snake-bit). Since Bradway took over the team, the philosophy has been to draft projects at the RB position and work them in. They drafted Jordan to backup Martin, Greene to backup Thomas. They brought in 4th rounders the last two years. That's the way they treat the position. If LT retires after this year, they'll promote McKnight and start working Powell in.

I'd like to see them take a WR high, too, but they haven't done that since Santana Moss.

Next year, I'd expect to see either LB, S, or OL in the first round.

I agree with pretty much all of this... that is, until this last statement. With the exception of one single year, the Jets have not addressed the OL that high in a very, very long time... and in the year they went Brick/Mangold, you also have to consider they had cut both their starting LT and C. While Moore had a rough start coming off his injury, he's back to where he is, Slauson isn't great, but is still much better than he's given credit for, and with Hunter and Ducasse both still sitting at RT, I'm not sure this is a team that's going to go OL that early. Beyond that, while there is nothing I would love to see more than the Jets use a high pick for a talented play-making safety, there is nothing we have seen out of this team that suggest they will ever do that. That position has been an endless round of mediocrity and the team seems to be perfectly happy with that. LB is certainly a very distinct possibility, especially given the combination of Bryan Thomas' injury, age and contract situation. The only hope is that this team has finally realized, while some of the fundamental decision they have made over the years may be right for a rebuilding project, once you have a solid team foundation, that's when you need to really start addressing those skill positions with the kind of players who have the potential to really make a difference. That is, other than when said player is a CB or a veteran CB or WR available via trade.

In my my mock draft, I have the Jets picking a back a little later on. Take a look:

Round One: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Round Two: Nick Foles, QB, Arizona

Round Three: Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State

Round Four: Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State

Round Five: Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State

Round Six: Case Keenum, QB, Houston

Round Seven: Montell Harris, RB, Boston College

Im going out on a linb here but i think its because the only pass rush we have is from a Bills burn out Mayhem Mabin, dont get me wrong i love what the kid is doing here, adding some much needed pressure, sure the guy runs around the QB a few time but compared to everyone else it is much needed. But seriously this defense only becomes great, as in steel curtain, with some solid Pass Rush, that is why we go in that direction in the first round.

But alas we will be picking late round one, so I wouldn't mind just taking what ever is best left at our 31st pick, and then get a solid DT in rd two...damn I love to see a RB, WR, S, another lineman with number one...

but really I think we will add someone for Nick Mangold to train.

I cant wait to see Mayem Maybin to Massacre the Passacre Brady

In my my mock draft, I have the Jets picking a back a little later on. Take a look:

Round One: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Round Two: Nick Foles, QB, Arizona

Round Three: Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State

Round Four: Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State

Round Five: Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State

Round Six: Case Keenum, QB, Houston

Round Seven: Montell Harris, RB, Boston College

Awesome.

Drafting a running back high is one of the worst moves in the business. Slightly better than paying a ton of money to a FA running back. I'm sure the Titans are kicking themselves. Greene is fine. So is LT. McKnight and Powell both are probably NFL caliber backs, but that remains to be seen. Spend the money and picks on the lines. Forte is having a great year and he had a great year in 2008, but he sucked in 2009 and wasn't anything so special last year.

If that's where the value is where we pick then fine. But it hasn't been our undoing, we've drafted 3 young RBs all under contract next season already, and 2 of them haven't seen 20 combined carries this year before anyone writes off careers that haven't begun yet.

I certainly wouldn't target the position over better value elsewhere at a position of far greater need.

Maybe take a RB in mid rounds. Early? Depends where Vlad is at. Might badly need a RT.

Don't need a TE. Both Cumberland and Keller are good players. Have plenty of good DL. Thinking OLB, WR or Safety. Depends who is available..

Next year is the last of Keller's rookie contract. With so many players under mega-deals he stands a good chance of being an odd man out. Plus he's just not good enough to warrant the money he could get on the open market. Another mid-round RB I think is a throw-away pick unless some first-round talent type falls unexpectedly. We already have 3 mid-round pick RB's under contract.

This coaching staff is not going to promote a mid-round RB over 3 draftees who have been here 1, 2, and 3 seasons. If anything they've shown a reluctance to letting any mid- or low-picked draftee see the field as rookies except in cases of extreme emergency due to injury (or garbage-time when all the backups are in). Particularly at RB. I think they're paranoid about a rookie RB picking up blitzes and risking getting Sanchez killed, and even with all the justified criticism levied at Ryan and Schottenheimer, I can't say that concern is without its justification.

I see OL as a definite possibility because they've taken OL that high before, and took Ducasse in the 2nd recently and that hasn't worked out yet. They obviously see the need, and are willing to use high picks there.

LB is an obvious one. They've taken LB as high as #6 overall if I recall correctly, and they're still trying to find the player they were looking for there. It's not Maybin.

I agree safety is a longer shot because they've never shown any interest in taking the position high, but Rex is a defensive head coach who had some success with Ed Reed and watched Palumalu play against him twice a year. Can't rule it out.

I like Keller and think he's something of a safety blanket for Sanchez. I hope they extend him. If they don't think they'll be going that route, a TE could enter the mix.

Drafting a running back high is one of the worst moves in the business. Slightly better than paying a ton of money to a FA running back. I'm sure the Titans are kicking themselves. Greene is fine. So is LT. McKnight and Powell both are probably NFL caliber backs, but that remains to be seen. Spend the money and picks on the lines. Forte is having a great year and he had a great year in 2008, but he sucked in 2009 and wasn't anything so special last year.

I like taking RB's high because their careers are close to over by the time they're done with their rookie contracts, anyway. I'd never invest in a FA RB. Even if you don't play him much as a rookie (blitz pickup concerns, etc.), you can still ride him from his sophomore season forward - getting the best years out of a solid prospect.

But again, that's not the Jets' philosophy, and the whole league has gone to the RB by committee model. And the Jets have their committee in place thru next year at least.

I think Bilal Powell is gonna be Ahmad Bradshaw eventually. It remains to be seen what the deal is with McKnight. Clearly, they don't trust him to get any significant reps on offense. Weren't the whispers that he's too, er, un-savvy to handle blocking schemes and assignments? I can't imagine they float Greene a fat second contract, either. A smaller power back who already spends a lot of time nicked up? No thanks.

I think the major needs, obviously, will be at WR, S, and OLB, but I'd love to see them invest in a more versatile TE. Cumberland and Keller are just oversized wideouts, and the carousel of stiffs they bring in to be the blocking TEs represent a wasted roster spot considering how useless they've been. I wanted Kyle Rudolph in this last draft, myself.

Archived