Rex Ryan's and Mike Tannenbaum Press Conference - Monday 1/2/12 at 3pm

Maxman

How many times in Jets franchise history have we given a GM/coach "one more year" to figure it out? Do they ever "figure it out"?

Listen, I'm no huge fan and don't consider 2 straight AFC championships to be the accomplishment some do, but the bottom line is that i don't know how you get rid of the regime 1 year after doing it with poop at QB...

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen, I'm no huge fan and don't consider 2 straight AFC championships to be the accomplishment some do, but the bottom line is that i don't know how you get rid of the regime 1 year after doing it with poop at QB...

When you pay the regime to find quarterbacks, and pass rushers, and right tackles, and offensive coordinators and they don't do it, you're well within your rights to lop some heads.

When you pay the regime to find quarterbacks, and pass rushers, and right tackles, and offensive coordinators and they don't do it, you're well within your rights to lop some heads.

still say schotty is gone and the team will make a strong push for manning if he's healthy and becomes available.. with a good qb we're talking about a playoff game today

still say schotty is gone and the team will make a strong push for manning if he's healthy and becomes available.. with a good qb we're talking about a playoff game today

I think the more likely scenario is that they bring Schotty and Moore back, but fire Callahan and bring in one of Sanchez's USC entourage to be his QB coach. Woody isn't going to wash his hands of $3 mil.

How would resigning help him salvage a future in the NFL? What was he caught doing here?

Agreed -- no way he resigns. When he doesn't get the Jax job, he'll be fired and be paid for 2012. Then he'll latch on somewhere, but not as a HC.

Sure, which is why you are more biased then I am. I'm ambivalent and can see pretty clearly he won't come back, you have a strong rooting interest..

Your evidence of that is....what again?

The endless support of Rex and Tanny? Or the fact that other teams at least consider him good enough to interview for a HC spot?

The only chance he is gone, is if soeone gives him a HC job. And I find that doubtful.

There is no circumstance where Rex and Tanny get rid of Shotty.

Since I want him replaced, I hope you're right. I don't think you will be, and I think fan talk of hidden conspiracies to get rid of him are laughable tbh.

The endless support of Rex and Tanny? Or the fact that other teams at least consider him good enough to interview for a HC spot?

The only chance he is gone, is if soeone gives him a HC job. And I find that doubtful.

Since I want him replaced, I hope you're right. I don't think you will be, and I think fan talk of hidden conspiracies to get rid of him are laughable tbh.

You are clueless as to how the NFL works and you are bringing down the entire board by your lack of intelligence....

Go find somewhere else to post please.

(C'mon that was funny). :)

My evidence is that when someones holding the door open for you to leave, they probably don't want you to stay..

My evidence is that when someones holding the door open for you to leave, they probably don't want you to stay..

I agree with you.

Which is why I'm not upset about them not firing Schotty this afternoon. The press conference was a swirling sh*tstorm of stupid, but long-term I understand what they are doing. They want him to get hired away, because firing him costs him money.

Problem is, it was plain as day. Not sure why Tanny thinks he's fooling anyone with his smarmy ways... but whatever.

I agree with you.

Which is why I'm not upset about them not firing Schotty this afternoon. The press conference was a swirling sh*tstorm of stupid, but long-term I understand what they are doing. They want him to get hired away, because firing him costs him money.

Problem is, it was plain as day. Not sure why Tanny thinks he's fooling anyone with his smarmy ways... but whatever.

I think the main goal of the pc was about addressing the santonio issue more than anything. Schotty was secondary.

Saying that "someone is under contract"is the bare minimum you can say about someone in a press conference.

Projectionism.

I've never heard an NFL Head Coach begrudge an assistant a chance to become a Head Coach.

That fact does not equate to "pushing one out a door".

Again, if they wanted him gobe, there is no harm caused by firing him today. None. No repurcussions of any kind beyond having a new O-Co next year. Not a single player lost, not a single fan quitting, not a single future coach saying "no thanks" to the Jets.

If they wanted him gone, he'd be gone. Today. And they'd be on the phone today to possible replacement O-Co or O-Co agents, to ensure they get whom they want.

Face it my friend, they don't want him gone, unless it's the standard issue congrats they'll give if he chooses to leave and become a HC.

Thats not wanting a guy gone, thats supporting a guy you like alot and would retain otherwise.

I agree with you.

That's about what I took out of it as well. The silly part is that they probably huddled up with the PR department and somehow came away thinking that we would not realize it was basically to try and imply that they are still high on Schotty in the remote chance he gets a HC job. As soon as all vacant HC jobs are filled he is fired or demoted.

Projectionism.

I've never heard an NFL Head Coach begrudge an assistant a chance to become a Head Coach.

That fact does not equate to "pushing one out a door".

Again, if they wanted him gobe, there is no harm caused by firing him today. None. No repurcussions of any kind beyond having a new O-Co next year. Not a single player lost, not a single fan quitting, not a single future coach saying "no thanks" to the Jets.

If they wanted him gone, he'd be gone. Today.

Face it my friend, they don't want him gone, unless it's the standard issue congrats they'll give if he chooses to leave and become a HC.

Thats not wanting a guy gone, thats supporting a guy you like alot and would retain otherwise.

someone already brought up the $$ issue, but again, rex said it point blank, I'm not going to say anything negative about the guy that could hurt him getting a HC job, right form the horses mouth..

we'll see where are in in a month, but I'd be shocked if he's here come June.. the only chance is if they're moving on from Sanchez

someone already brought up the $$ issue

Remind me again why the would have resigned him, to that very same money, if they wanted rid of him so obviously?

:winking0001:

I'm not going to say anything negative about the guy that could hurt him getting a HC job, right form the horses mouth..

Colorful paraphrase that changes the intent from support to kick out the door.

we'll see where are in in a month, but I'd be shocked if he's here come June.. the only chance is if they're moving on from Sanchez

Agreed, time will tell. If they do retain him and dump Sanchez, that would be.....something.

I think the main goal of the pc was about addressing the santonio issue more than anything. Schotty was secondary.

Saying that "someone is under contract"is the bare minimum you can say about someone in a press conference.

Schotty was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd point made in the beginning of the PC.

Schotty was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd point made in the beginning of the PC.

To summarize the press conference, I think they were trying to say, "You stupid fans calm down. Schotty is great. Santonio is great. Sanchez is great. That "C" business was my bad. So you guys shut up now cuz you're stupid."

To summarize the press conference, I think they were trying to say, "You stupid fans calm down. Schotty is great. Santonio is great. Sanchez is great. That "C" business was my bad. So you guys shut up now cuz you're stupid."

I think there's an even more succinct version, "We've already sold all the PSLs. So, now GFY."

Remind me again why the would have resigned him, to that very same money, if they wanted rid of him so obviously?

:winking0001:

probably cause they didn't want to get rid of him last year? I'm not convinced they *want* to get rid of them this year either, I think most of the fans calling for his head don't have a clue as to what they are talking about, but the reality is that there's two camps, those that primarily blame Schotty and those that primarily blame Sanchez. Sanchez isn't going anywhere short of Manning coming available, so they'll need to oust Schotty just to give sanchez some street cred and maybe hope that a new perspective will help right the kid..

I just loved Rex's answer when the reported asked him if things like the offensive gameplan (throwing 50+ times against the Giants with a JV QB) and benching Holmes should be run by him, considering that he's the head coach... he was too busy trying to make defensive calls following the turnover.

At this point, I'm beginning to think that he wants Schottenheimer back so that he can apply those supposed head-coaching skills in directing the offense with practically full autonomy so that Rex can continue to ignore that aspect of the team.

Lets not leave Rex out of the blame game. Sometimes his post game interviews make me wonder if I was watching the same game as he was.Someone in the orginazation has to admit to weaknesses and tell of plans to make things better next year. So far all I've heard makes me dread paying for the NFL package again next year to see an 8 & 8 team again.How bout a first string running back or a quick, deep threat reciever for a start since we seem to be stuck with Sanchez and on his behalf I think he was a little frazzled and desperate at the end of the year cause of failed game plans.He clearly has been better in previous years.

I'm not convinced they *want* to get rid of them this year

All that, and you DO agree with me.

I think most of the fans calling for his head don't have a clue as to what they are talking about

Sorry you feel that way.

While not done here, I think I've laid out a rather informed and factual argument that Shotty's six years of performance is not good enough, and that he is not superior to every othr possible O-Co candiate out there.

but the reality is that there's two camps, those that primarily blame Schotty and those that primarily blame Sanchez.

Too simplistic, tbh. It's not a binary issue, either, or. Both men can and are at fault, and have blame to shoulder.

Shotty simply has a longer, more thorough resume of mediocrity, and a record of same with multiple QB's and HC's. Sanchez has one season of college experience, and three years under Shotty.

I'd like to see what he is capable of under someone else. We've invested and are invested far more in Sanchez than Shotty.

The alternative (suprisingly popular amongst some fans it seems) is to start all over again with a newly drafted QB in a "burn it all....except Shotty" ideal on the O.

Sanchez isn't going anywhere short of Manning coming available

I don't agree actually. It would rather SOJ to cut Sanchez loose via trade, and retain Shotty. I'm almost cynical enough to predict just that.

Almost.

so they'll need to oust Schotty just to give sanchez some street cred and maybe hope that a new perspective will help right the kid..

I'll predict BOTH are back in 2012, unless some team is insane enough to give Shotty their HC job (and on that, I predict no one will).

Archived