Schefter reporting Manning "expected" to be cut

Scott Dierking

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on
SportsCenter
Thursday morning that "people around the league" expect the Colts to release Peyton Manning before his $28 million option bonus comes due on March 8.

"Most people around the league now expect (Manning to be cut)," Schefter said. "It's a near-certainty." Manning is not expected to be healthy before the payout comes due, and he isn't worth the $35.4M gamble (roster bonus plus salary) when the Colts will be drafting his successor with the No. 1 overall pick in April, anyway. "Every single sign points to Peyton Manning leaving Indianapolis," Schefter reiterated. Look for the Dolphins and Cardinals to be the NFL's two most interested teams once Manning hits free agency.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This puts us in a tough spot. We have to chase Peyton Manning because he is Peyton Manning, but we would be doing so at the risk of losing Mark Sanchez forever...When word leaks that the Jets are looking for a replacement for Sanchez, then where is his head going to be next season? This has already been a tumultuous offseason for the kid. Of course, if we get Peyton I couldn't care less about Mark Sanchez since he would become someone else's problem. But what if we swing and miss?

This puts us in a tough spot. We have to chase Peyton Manning because he is Peyton Manning, but we would be doing so at the risk of losing Mark Sanchez forever...When word leaks that the Jets are looking for a replacement for Sanchez, then where is his head going to be next season? This has already been a tumultuous offseason for the kid. Of course, if we get Peyton I couldn't care less about Mark Sanchez since he would become someone else's problem. But what if we swing and miss?

And that's... a bad thing?

All things are not equal regarding salary; I'll leave that to our various capable capologists like Jason. However I would take a healthy 36-year old Peyton Manning for 2 or 3 seasons rather than watch another 30 seconds of Pick 6 screwing the pooch some more.

Jets won't get Peyton. Peyton will probably end up im Miami or Arizona. why?

1) Better home weather (Do youthink Peyton) wants to play home games in miserable weather with bad cross winds? nope.

2) Spotlight will focus solely on him in town (in NYC metro the spotlight will be on several targets)

3) No SB pressure this year...in NY, the move to get Peyton will be regarded as a failure if the Jets end up missing out of the SB again.

Ideally, he would seek a domed team in better shape than Arizona....but given his options Miami and Arizona are his two best options given his preferences for better weather conditions.

LL

Exactly what my concern was...Manning is not going anywhere excet here....if we chase him we will be throwing a boat load of back end money at the guy....and he signs...but as you say we do this and we don't sign him...Sanchez is toast and so are we....

Peyton will NEVER come to the Jets. the situation in Florham Park is a mess. could envision peyton in San francisco. If they had better QB play, they would be on their way to the Super Bowl. peyton with that defense would be a powerful combination. Alex Smith is not worth keeping around if you can get a healthy Peyton Manning.

Lets Go Manning.....Lets Go Manning.....Lets Go Manning.....I could hear it now..Right after the J-E-T-S-Jets Jets Jets....so we could have one side of the Stadium do the Jets Chant (hear that fireman?)..and the otherside do the Lets Go Manning chant...music to my ears......and Sanchez will be sitting on the bench eating a hotdog.

Sanchez is an NFL quarterback. If he can't deal with that sort of talk, then he should be stocking shelves at Walmart, not slinging the rock for the NY Jets.

Peyton will NEVER come to the Jets. the situation in Florham Park is a mess. could envision peyton in San francisco. If they had better QB play, they would be on their way to the Super Bowl. peyton with that defense would be a powerful combination. Alex Smith is not worth keeping around if you can get a healthy Peyton Manning.

Lets just hope he wants to be roommates with Eli and hang out together.

1) Better home weather (Do youthink Peyton) wants to play home games in miserable weather with bad cross winds? nope.

2) Spotlight will focus solely on him in town (in NYC metro the spotlight will be on several targets)

3) No SB pressure this year...in NY, the move to get Peyton will be regarded as a failure if the Jets end up missing out of the SB again.

Ideally, he would seek a domed team in better shape than Arizona....but given his options Miami and Arizona are his two best options given his preferences for better weather conditions.

LL

Manning is going to go where he thinks he has the best chance to win..imo

If the jets don't pursue him strongly, I will be anti rex

Rex has a bigger man crush on Peyton than I do on him.

Which is exactly why I would be shocked if the Jets don't make a run at him. Rex has made no bones about the fact that he thinks Peyton is the GOAT. Outside of the concerns of his health for next season being very severe, even beyond what has been made public (and I'm sure they'll know more than we all do), I can't imagine Rex not wanting to do everything they can to get him.

Which is exactly why I would be shocked if the Jets don't make a run at him. Rex has made no bones about the fact that he thinks Peyton is the GOAT. Outside of the concerns of his health for next season being very severe, even beyond what has been made public (and I'm sure they'll know more than we all do), I can't imagine Rex not wanting to do everything they can to get him.

It would be atypical Jetsian move, so why not.

They most certainly will. Trade Sanchez to Seattle. And do the damn thing. SB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LL

On the other hand, don't you think Peyton WANTS to win another superbowl before he retires? That won't happen in Arizona, not even in Miami.

I know he is due like, a gazillion dollars, but I really believe that if the Colts believed Manning could still perform at his old level, they'd be keeping him. Luck's salary won't be out of control now that there is a rookie cap... I don't know, sounds weird to me.

Over 1/3 of their cap would be would be tied up in QB and back-up QB. Would be very difficult to carry both.

I know he is due like, a gazillion dollars, but I really believe that if the Colts believed Manning could still perform at his old level, they'd be keeping him. Luck's salary won't be out of control now that there is a rookie cap... I don't know, sounds weird to me.

Well I think more than anything the point is it's too early to know what his health is going to look like 6 months from now, and if they pay him all of his money and it turns out his health is still a problem, they are going to be completely ****ed. Combine that with the fact that they're in rebuilding mode with a whole new front office and coaching staff, they could probably use that money to fill a lot of other holes on their roster, especially considering they already know who their next QB is going to be. On the other hand, if another team signs him out of FA, they'll likely be sure to work a clause in his contract dependent on his health in order to keep themselves from being crippled the way the Colts would be if they kept him on the roster.

Archived