Schefter reporting Manning "expected" to be cut

Scott Dierking

Over 1/3 of their cap would be would be tied up in QB and back-up QB. Would be very difficult to carry both.

How much of the San Diego cap was tied up in Brees and Rivers? Brees was less than Manning, but he was franchised right? And Rivers had to be more than Luck... Worked pretty well for them.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the issue I see with bringing in, or even pursuing Manning.

We all know Sanchez has the emotional regulation of a 14 year old girl.

We'd have to sign Manning before we knew if he was healthy enough to play.

This pretty much kills Sanchez, probably an unrecoverable blow to his ego with regards to the Jets.

What happens if we bring in Manning and he can't play? We can't go back to Sanchez.

Obviously, if you think Sanchez is garbage, you don't care. But, if you think anything but the fact that he's done, you can't even pursue Manning. It's well documented that I think Sanchez is crap and will never be a top tier QB, so I don't care at all about ruining and undermining him. However, if you do care, you simply can't even make the call.

How much of the San Diego cap was tied up in Brees and Rivers? Brees was less than Manning, but he was franchised right? And Rivers had to be more than Luck... Worked pretty well for them.

I don't know the numbers, but I'd say not even close. Manning's cap # this year would be an astronomical 34M or something close to that. You can't have another 20M-ish QB with that.

Rex has a bigger man crush on Peyton than I do on him.

Yes...this is what Rex told me..."heck, well you know, he's a great QB, you know, he throws that ball over there, all the way down the field, heck I can hardly see the ball land...you know"

I don't know the numbers, but I'd say not even close. Manning's cap # this year would be an astronomical 34M or something close to that. You can't have another 20M-ish QB with that.

Tanny will find away, maybe have a 10 year lotto-like payout...hey you never know!

This pretty much kills Sanchez, probably an unrecoverable blow to his ego with regards to the Jets.

What happens if we bring in Manning and he can't play? We can't go back to Sanchez.

Obviously, if you think Sanchez is garbage, you don't care. But, if you think anything but the fact that he's done, you can't even pursue Manning. It's well documented that I think Sanchez is crap and will never be a top tier QB, so I don't care at all about ruining and undermining him. However, if you do care, you simply can't even make the call.

Nope, the manning contract would be a "player-medical condition contingent contract tender"....just saying....then its up to the doctors to place the high-low risk factor elements together for the FO to decide......in the end if he is healthy enough to play he is coming here folks....

I think it ends up being based on the Jets doing their due diligence and seeing the likelihood of him being able to play this year. If it's good enough, you pursue him and send Sanchez packing. Frankly, if the Jets were to get Peyton, regardless of if they think he'll be fine and playing for them for the next few years, I still think they should be hitting the middle rounds of the drafts for a QB prospect anyway. Keeping Sanchez around likely isn't going to do you a whole lot of good once you've made it clear you're done with him, so that decision will already have been made from the moment that you sign Manning.

As big of a vagina as he is...would he really get butt hurt because he's getting benched for a 1st ballot HOF'er? sh*t, for all we know he might be relieved.

Nope, the manning contract would be a "player-medical condition contingent contract tender"....just saying....then its up to the doctors to place the high-low risk factor elements together for the FO to decide......in the end if he is healthy enough to play he is coming here folks....

You completely missed the point.

It's about Sanchez's reaction to him coming in.

Which would be nuclear.

As big of a vagina as he is...would he really get butt hurt because he's getting benched for a 1st ballot HOF'er? sh*t, for all we know he might be relieved.

Absolutely. Because, it's no longer his team.

If Sanchez were good, we wouldn't consider Peyton.

of course not.. to think otherwise is silly.

he's gotten paid and would look at it as an opportunity to learn from the master. aaron rogers, steve young etc have had to bide their time behind hall of famers and it worked out ok for them.

his pride would be a little hurt but whatever.. 2 years behind Manning won't kill him and we'd finally have a quality backup.

the Colts would be absolutely crazy to pay a 37 year old possible cripple with double neck fusion surgery a 27 mill roster bonus.

and ANY team would be crazy to pay this same guy what he will be demanding. Unless he is willing to play for vet mins or some conditional contract that revokes itself if his injury recurs, he may be just DONE as far as the NFL is concerned

I dont see Miami spending the money to get manning. I see them going after flynn.

now arizona we all know is willing to spend money for a qb. look at the huge contract they gave kolb! MORONS! this is the same reason I'm not sold on flynn. could you imagin peyton to fitz? would be an amazing thing to see. but I don't know if I see manning wanting to go there either. they seem to need me than just a QB to get them over the hump. it could just be wishful thinking in my part.

He wants to win another superbowl, thats a fact! the best place for him to do this is in NY. so I still have hope.

Over 1/3 of their cap would be would be tied up in QB and back-up QB. Would be very difficult to carry both.

Worse yet, they'll be stuck in between win now and build for future, and do neither well...

The writing has been on the wall for Manning to break free once St louis beat NO... The onyl questions left are health and where he wants to go. My suspicion continues to be that the Jets will make a hard push for him

of course not.. to think otherwise is silly.

he's gotten paid and would look at it as an opportunity to learn from the master. aaron rogers, steve young etc have had to bide their time behind hall of famers and it worked out ok for them.

his pride would be a little hurt but whatever.. 2 years behind Manning won't kill him and we'd finally have a quality backup.

Aaron Rodgers didn't start for 3 years and then get benched for a guy who wasn't on the team. Subtle distinction, I know.

If Manning signs the JETS should only give him a contract loaded with incentives:

10 mill for scoring more than 35 TDs

10 mill for throwing less than 10 INTs

5 mill for throwing 4500 + yards

3 mill for pretending Sparano is his coach!

Nice LOL They could even hve like cool fake hand signals and stuff.

he will be cut...if...he is not healthy why would someone want damaged goods ? it's montana with the chiefs emmitt on the cards namath with the rams farvuh with the jets pass

Ultimately you might be right, but the circumstances are not that cut and dry. Monster bonus + Andrew Luck + Peyton being 36 next season coming off a risky neck surgery might be enough to cut him whether he can regain his health or not. That's way too expensive a risk for the Colts to make.

I know he is due like, a gazillion dollars, but I really believe that if the Colts believed Manning could still perform at his old level, they'd be keeping him. Luck's salary won't be out of control now that there is a rookie cap... I don't know, sounds weird to me.

Already been reported a few times that Peyton wants out if they're drafting Luck.

Already been reported a few times that Peyton wants out if they're drafting Luck.

Why do I feel like the Colts are not going to have a lot of Luck because of the way they are dirting Manning? At least just be upfront about it. You at least owe the guy that. **** sake. That building they play in, the SB they are hosting, the visibility Manning gives you...at least be decent about it.

Ultimately you might be right, but the circumstances are not that cut and dry. Monster bonus + Andrew Luck + Peyton being 36 next season coming off a risky neck surgery might be enough to cut him whether he can regain his health or not. That's way too expensive a risk for the Colts to make.

Yep, it's pretty clear that Peyton is gone in Indy for the reasons you state.

From Sanchez' POV it is encouraging that they got rid of Schitty. More and more reports are that they clashed and Schitty recently bashed Sanchez through Schitty's close friend Joe Theisman (Joe relayed convoys he had with Schitty). But, career wise, short of having an NFL epiphany somehow next year and having a good season with the Jets, his best bet is to get cut and sign with a team like the Saints and learn beyond a real QB and bona fide offensive mind in Sean Payton. Who knows, Sanchez could end up being Brees' heir apparent.

Irsay responded to Peyton's whining about not recognizing anybody at the facility -- Basically called him a "politician" and told him to kindly STFU or words to that effect

Peyton is essentially just another Manning, same manipulators from Archie on down....

He wants to leave the Colts, great --- let him go anyplace but Florham Park --- We don't need a drama queen around to make things worse

Why do I feel like the Colts are going to have a lot of Luck because of the way they are dirting Manning? At least just be upfront about it. You at least owe the guy that. **** sake. That building they play in, the SB they are hosting, the visibility Manning gives you...at least be decent about it.

Agreed, it's pretty lame. I think the one thing that's become evident over the last year is how poorly run that organization has been. Peyton masked everything. Really can't say any of this is surprising at all.

Agreed, it's pretty lame. I think the one thing that's become evident over the last year is how poorly run that organization has been. Peyton masked everything. Really can't say any of this is surprising at all.

I meant to say "not going to have a lot of Luck" was being all cute with it and sh*t. Ya know?

Its just goes to show ya.

I don't agree with this premise. I don't think Mark would be able to step back in and perform at the same level he has, lol.

But cap wise keeping both of them might not be an option. Would be a good combo though, hang on to Mark, let him learn a little more and see how Peyton holds up. That might be dreaming though.

Why do I feel like the Colts are not going to have a lot of Luck because of the way they are dirting Manning? At least just be upfront about it. You at least owe the guy that. **** sake. That building they play in, the SB they are hosting, the visibility Manning gives you...at least be decent about it.

And him putting on a pouty face to force the Colts hand and keep him...oh yeah and give him a 28 million dollar bonus due in March...after giving him 23 million when they signed the deal a few months ago.

Irsay responded to Peyton's whining about not recognizing anybody at the facility -- Basically called him a "politician" and told him to kindly STFU or words to that effect

Peyton is essentially just another Manning, same manipulators from Archie on down....

He wants to leave the Colts, great --- let him go anyplace but Florham Park --- We don't need a drama queen around to make things worse

OTOH we could use a really good QB.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on
SportsCenter
Thursday morning that "people around the league" expect the Colts to release Peyton Manning before his $28 million option bonus comes due on March 8.

"Most people around the league now expect (Manning to be cut)," Schefter said. "It's a near-certainty." Manning is not expected to be healthy before the payout comes due, and he isn't worth the $35.4M gamble (roster bonus plus salary) when the Colts will be drafting his successor with the No. 1 overall pick in April, anyway. "Every single sign points to Peyton Manning leaving Indianapolis," Schefter reiterated. Look for the Dolphins and Cardinals to be the NFL's two most interested teams once Manning hits free agency.

Man how Peyton will laugh if Luck is the QB equivalent of Gholston.

Archived