Schefter reporting Manning "expected" to be cut

Scott Dierking

And him putting on a pouty face to force the Colts hand and keep him...oh yeah and give him a 28 million dollar bonus due in March...after giving him 23 million when they signed the deal a few months ago.

Not sure but isnt the reason they are cutting him is to save the 28mil? And its Peyton's fault they paid him for his contract? lol

Wonder what you'd say if the Pats treated Brady this way.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Manning signs the JETS should only give him a contract loaded with incentives:

10 mill for scoring more than 35 TDs

10 mill for throwing less than 10 INTs

5 mill for throwing 4500 + yards

3 mill for pretending Sparano is his coach!

how about all 30 mil for not getting killed behind an offensive line we cant rebuild due to his contract.

Peyton Manning could not win in the playoffs for years with the Colts who had 10 times the talent we currently have yet Jets fans expect him to come into an offense with Dumb WR's who have been known for disruption and get this mess all fixed in one year. No Doubt if Manning did come he would have a big say in the offensive scheme but do any of you think he can build the same relationship as he had in Indy with guys he played with year after year in Indy ? These things take time and time is something Manning is running out of. getting Manning now and giving up on a young QBand not filling areas of need on the team is stupid.

You completely missed the point.

It's about Sanchez's reaction to him coming in.

Which would be nuclear.

EY, yes I get it...I have said that same thing in another few threads....I would love to have both of them on this team. Maybe Sanchez actually becomes a better QB for it. I don't know is Sanchez has the mental toughness though to handle a "demotion". But the reality is he is getting benched by Peyton....every QB would be except....Brady, Brees, Rogers....and perhaps his little bro.

how about all 30 mil for not getting killed behind an offensive line we cant rebuild due to his contract.

Peyton Manning could not win in the playoffs for years with the Colts who had 10 times the talent we currently have yet Jets fans expect him to come into an offense with Dumb WR's who have been known for disruption and get this mess all fixed in one year. No Doubt if Manning did come he would have a big say in the offensive scheme but do any of you think he can build the same relationship as he had in Indy with guys he played with year after year in Indy ? These things take time and time is something Manning is running out of. getting Manning now and giving up on a young QBand not filling areas of need on the team is stupid.

Yeah, you completely lost me at the bolded. They could not possibly be any further from the truth. If this year proved anything, it is that the Colts were an entire team of crappola built around one of the greatest QBs of all time. The only position you could possibly argue the Colts were better than the current Jets is WR, and frankly, outside of Harrison and Wayne, they were all a group of complete nobodies who were made by Manning, which is just further proved by all of their subsequent failures to do anything for any other team. Beyond that, their entire defense, OL, and RBs have been nothing short of awful for years now.

Agreed, it's pretty lame. I think the one thing that's become evident over the last year is how poorly run that organization has been. Peyton masked everything. Really can't say any of this is surprising at all.

This probably all started after Caldwell made a mess of the timeouts in the Jets playoff win last year.

Simply if Manning is healthy and makes a committment of at least 2 and may be 3 seasons the Jets have to consider signing him. And failing in that signing matt Flynn.

Sanchez as Brees' heir apparent? Not happening. The writing is on the wall. He's easy to defense. He has no accuracy nor feel with his passes. And he cannot read past his primary receiver. Another season with Pick 6 would be a waste of time.

EY, yes I get it...I have said that same thing in another few threads....I would love to have both of them on this team. Maybe Sanchez actually becomes a better QB for it. I don't know is Sanchez has the mental toughness though to handle a "demotion". But the reality is he is getting benched by Peyton....every QB would be except....Brady, Brees, Rogers....and perhaps his little bro.

If Peyton comes here Sanchez has to be cut. You cannot have that much cap room devoted to the QB spot. And frankly given his sissy girlie mental attitude Sanchez would probably break down and cry. Andf we can't have that.

It's not about the fact that Peyton is better.

It's about the fact that Sanchez isn't good enough, thus making it a good idea to bring in Peyton.

The Chargers, Bears, and Texans would be better if they brought in a healthy Manning. But, they're not going to do it because they don't suck at the position to a degree that merit's replacing their starter.

Which is exactly why I would be shocked if the Jets don't make a run at him. Rex has made no bones about the fact that he thinks Peyton is the GOAT. Outside of the concerns of his health for next season being very severe, even beyond what has been made public (and I'm sure they'll know more than we all do), I can't imagine Rex not wanting to do everything they can to get him.

Sounds like Mangini and Favre. Even named his kid after him.

How'd that work out for him?

If Rex plays hard for Manning it will work out the same for him

It's about the fact that Sanchez isn't good enough, thus making it a good idea to bring in Peyton.

The Chargers, Bears, and Texans would be better if they brought in a healthy Manning. But, they're not going to do it because they don't suck at the position to a degree that merit's replacing their starter.

A healthy Peyton Manning is a significant upgrade. The current Peyton Manning may not even play football again. That is at issue. The other issue is if Manning is even remotely healthy, it is very doubtful he'd see the Jets a s a potential landing spot. Just can't envision it. Even with Jets colored glasses.

If Peyton comes here Sanchez has to be cut. You cannot have that much cap room devoted to the QB spot. And frankly given his sissy girlie mental attitude Sanchez would probably break down and cry. Andf we can't have that.

So then we need to draft a QB, sign Manning and then cit ties with sanchez......

I guess we all feel the same then...bring in Manning and draft Peyton's backup so the kid could learn from the best...and cut Sanchez.

A healthy Peyton Manning is a significant upgrade. The current Peyton Manning may not even play football again. That is at issue. The other issue is if Manning is even remotely healthy, it is very doubtful he'd see the Jets a s a potential landing spot. Just can't envision it. Even with Jets colored glasses.

He sure as poop is not coming here if he has to worry about Wayne Hunter covering his right side. SO if the jaets amke this move, expect they have to consider that upgrade as a necessary cost.

Simply Sanchez ain't it. All the wishsful thinking in the world is not making him a real NFL QB. And the Jets' braintrust knows it better than anyone.

Sounds like Mangini and Favre. Even named his kid after him.

How'd that work out for him?

If Rex plays hard for Manning it will work out the same for him

It's certainly possible, but given the absolute crap they've been getting out of the QB position, it's also the same situation in that it's a low risk/high reward gamble. What did the Jets lose by the Favre situation not working out? They finally got themselves rid of Pennington, which was never going to happen without some sort of big move, as much as it should have happened years earlier. The current situation is no different. Outside of the increasingly slimmer chance Sanchez finally gets his crap together, there's not much you're risking by losing by taking that shot. Now granted, if there was another quality, feasible option available that you were going to be bypassing in going for Manning, that would be a different story, but I'm not sure that's really the case here.

He sure as poop is not coming here if he has to worry about Wayne Hunter covering his right side. SO if the jaets amke this move, expect they have to consider that upgrade as a necessary cost.

Simply Sanchez ain't it. All the wishsful thinking in the world is not making him a real NFL QB. And the Jets' braintrust knows it better than anyone.

After three seasons, I'm not really sure what to make of Sanchez. At times he makes brilliant reads and throws and at others he looks like he left college too early and didn't get enough experience.

One thing is for sure, whomever the QB is needs more talented position players and an upgraded offensive line. Stat.

he will be cut...if...he is not healthy

why would someone want damaged goods ?

it's montana with the chiefs

emmitt on the cards

namath with the rams

farvuh with the jets

pass

A voice of reason.

Thanks.

How about we pay a guy for what he can do, not for what he's done?

It's certainly possible, but given the absolute crap they've been getting out of the QB position, it's also the same situation in that it's a low risk/high reward gamble. What did the Jets lose by the Favre situation not working out? They finally got themselves rid of Pennington, which was never going to happen without some sort of big move, as much as it should have happened years earlier. The current situation is no different. Outside of the increasingly slimmer chance Sanchez finally gets his crap together, there's not much you're risking by losing by taking that shot. Now granted, if there was another quality, feasible option available that you were going to be bypassing in going for Manning, that would be a different story, but I'm not sure that's really the case here.

If this were a 29 YO, healthy Manning, I would be first in line screaming, get him at any price. That’s who every one is envisioning here

It’s not. It’s a 36 YO. Who has had 3 neck surgeries in a year. Have to assume the first two didn’t take. Why is three the charm?

It appears he is being put out with the trash by a team he has played for, for 15 years. Has a ring with.

Even if the Doc’s clear him to play, that doesn’t mean he will finish the season. It just means playing isn’t life threatening

I’m not a Sanchez guy. I was one of the few people who didn’t like the pick. Kid grew on me. I don’t know if he will ever amount to anything, but he is worth one more year. At this point it is Much more likely, IMO, that he will develop then Manning will return rejuvenated. Think it’s a very, very long shot.

What do they have to lose? Well if they swing and miss on Manning, both Mike T and Rex will lose their job, the Jets will have NO QB. Start all over again.

Even if Manning lasts the season, which I doubt, who says his arm will be the same? That’s one of the things this neck injury affects..

Not going to get to heavily involved in this debate because I think it is mostly an emotional reaction to the Jets folding.

Really think it would be disastrous for the Jets to get Manning at this point in his career.

Yeah, you completely lost me at the bolded. They could not possibly be any further from the truth. If this year proved anything, it is that the Colts were an entire team of crappola built around one of the greatest QBs of all time. The only position you could possibly argue the Colts were better than the current Jets is WR, and frankly, outside of Harrison and Wayne, they were all a group of complete nobodies who were made by Manning, which is just further proved by all of their subsequent failures to do anything for any other team. Beyond that, their entire defense, OL, and RBs have been nothing short of awful for years now.

So the QB filling in for Manning (collins) having one week to prepare and learn the offense meant nothing ? We all know Painter sucked a$$ long before this year. Im not sure what you expected when the offensive coordinator probably was learning a lot of what they did on offense from Peyton as well. And sorry but there is No way possible to compare Harrison Wayne James and Clark to what the Jets slopped out on the field this year ..... No way no how. Even if you try to make the arguement that the Jets talent is similar which would be crazy you have to at least admit it would take time for Peyton to work his way into this offense.

If this were a 29 YO, healthy Manning, I would be first in line screaming, get him at any price. That’s who every one is envisioning here

It’s not. It’s a 36 YO. Who has had 3 neck surgeries in a year. Have to assume the first two didn’t take. Why is three the charm?

It appears he is being put out with the trash by a team he has played for, for 15 years. Has a ring with.

Even if the Doc’s clear him to play, that doesn’t mean he will finish the season. It just means playing isn’t life threatening

I’m not a Sanchez guy. I was one of the few people who didn’t like the pick. Kid grew on me. I don’t know if he will ever amount to anything, but he is worth one more year. At this point it is Much more likely, IMO, that he will develop then Manning will return rejuvenated. Think it’s a very, very long shot.

What do they have to lose? Well if they swing and miss on Manning, both Mike T and Rex will lose their job, the Jets will have NO QB. Start all over again.

Even if Manning lasts the season, which I doubt, who says his arm will be the same? That’s one of the things this neck injury affects..

Not going to get to heavily involved in this debate because I think it is mostly an emotional reaction to the Jets folding.

Really think it would be disastrous for the Jets to get Manning at this point in his career.

I guess the real difference comes down to your opinion on Sanchez. If you think he has a shot of turning it all around, then I could understand seeing it as a bad idea. If you think the chances of that are minimal at best, then you'll need a new QB regardless, so why not roll the dice and take a shot at Manning and worst case scenario, next year you're in the same spot you would have been anyway, looking for a new QB. Although to be honest, if the Jets did get Manning, I would be shocked if they didn't turn around and grab a QB in the mid rounds this year to groom on the bench and have as insurance.

I guess the real difference comes down to your opinion on Sanchez. If you think he has a shot of turning it all around, then I could understand seeing it as a bad idea. If you think the chances of that are minimal at best, then you'll need a new QB regardless, so why not roll the dice and take a shot at Manning and worst case scenario, next year you're in the same spot you would have been anyway, looking for a new QB. Although to be honest, if the Jets did get Manning, I would be shocked if they didn't turn around and grab a QB in the mid rounds this year to groom on the bench and have as insurance.

In the end your right, that is what it comes down to.

I see Sanchez as a talented, but very immature QB, who was thrown into the fire on day one, and badly coached.

I really don’t see him under any circumstances as a total bust. Worst case, a middle of the road QB. Best case a QB who needs to grow up, who can win a Super Bowl, if he doesn’t have these emotional breakdowns, and major brain farts.

I really have a tough time judging him this year. The OL sucked so bad. It wasn’t just Hunter, Brick gave up more sacks then Hunter did. No deep threat, to get people out of the box, and no time to throw it long.

Jets claim Sanchez had an injured shoulder at the end of the season. Could this be spin? You bet. I don’t know.

This isn’t a Pennington situation. Sanchez does have the tools, it’s his emotions that are killing him. In the past he has made beautiful long passes in crunch time, the ball to Edwards in the Colts play off game comes to mind, and then miss a wide open WR with tons of running room, 7 yards up field. His horrible play in almost every first quarter is in his head.

I strongly feel that Manning is done. How many times have we seen great NFL players just fall off a cliff late in their careers after an injury. This is clearly a career threatening one. I think Manning is on the edge of the cliff

A typical SOJ’s scenario here is for Sanchez to go to Miami, get some good coaching, and be a very good player for the next 10 years. For Manning to be IR’ed in week 2, with some JAG 5th round pick backing him up.

I don’t think the people who want Manning in here are dumb, I just think they are prematurely over reacting.

With that I’ll step out of this debate because I can see it will be going to the name calling stage very soon. Not from you BG but, it will

As a JETS fan how well a QB is protected is none of my business. I want the 35TDs and 4500+ yards and at any cost and anyone who cannot get that done will feel my wrath. ;)

Not sure but isnt the reason they are cutting him is to save the 28mil? And its Peyton's fault they paid him for his contract? lol

Wonder what you'd say if the Pats treated Brady this way.

Think about it for a second.

They extend him and he pockets 23 million up front.

Right now, if they cut him they have 16 million in dead money. That is over 10% of the cap.

If he receives that bonus, and is cut before it is a 44 million dollar cap hit. That is over a third of the cap.

It is not Peyton's fault he got the money and IMHO it was a good will gesture given he had surgery in May and then again in September a month after he signed the extension. No way he passed a physical before the extension, but I digress.

It is also not the Colts fault if they do not want to commit another 28 million to a guy who might not ever play again and then have to deal with a 44 million dollar cap hit. A player that Is not guranteed to have the same strength in his arm even if he does play.

It is not like they are cutting a healthy Peyton or one they have not already paid 170 million dollars.

If they were being dicks to him after another 4000 yards and 30 TDs that would be one thing, but the ramifications of hoping he gets back to 100% health is a 28 million dollar gamble I would not want my team to make even if it is Tom Brady.

the NFL because of the salary cap can't afford to keep around players who are either too injured or way too expensive to play anymore. There is no leeway like there is in baseball to keep a Jorge Posada around for years after he can't hit, field or run anymore because he is a beloved member or your team.

If there was, Ladamian Tomlinson, DONE as he is would still be wearing lightning bolts on his helmet

Archived