Tonight on HBO, Namath

Jetfan13

I thought it was very well done ... really brought back some of the feelings I had watching Namath play as a kid.

The documentary really captured what a phenomenal all-around athlete this guy really was before he tore his knees up.

It's just a sports travesty that this guy really never got to play a single season as a pro, healthy.

If he had been able to play with even mediocre legs, who knows what he would have accomplished.

I thought it was very well done ... really brought back some of the feelings I had watching Namath play as a kid.

The documentary really captured what a phenomenal all-around athlete this guy really was before he tore his knees up.

It's just a sports travesty that this guy really never got to play a single season as a pro, healthy.

If he had been able to play with even mediocre legs, who knows what he would have accomplished.

Very true. It's a shame that a lot of people (even Jets fans) don't think he was that great because he didn't throw for 4.000 yards every season. If they knew what a great athlete and leader he truly was, they'd have a better appreciation. He was larger than life in that era. I'd like to see even today's athletes play with the injuries that he had and still dominate the way he did.

to think what the NFL would be today without the celebrity of "Broadway Joe". And I laugh when some folks look at stats alone and say he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Nobody was more famous, and did more for the league than the crippled Hungarian from Beaver Falls. And the guy wasn't just a helluva passer. He was a coach on the field who called all of his own plays. Every damned one. And the best part: He was a New York Jet.

Joe changed the sport...for sure, BUT many here on this forum would have BASHING him for all the interceptions he threw. In the begining of the 1968 season, the Super Bowl season, he had 12 interceptions in the first 5 games. His teamates told him we need to be more of a running team. LOVE joe saw him many times. had season tickets at Shea, one tough man with his knees. Mickey Mantle and Joe Namath we can never imagine what they could have been. In the HBO special, my Dad's picture is in there, good to see you Dad I miss you! RIP

Excellent...had me tearing up

Had me tearing up as well..... I love Joe Willie, and went to every game at Shea from 72 on then stopped going when the Jets moved to Giants stadium. Sure Shea was a sh*thole but it just had a feel that was lost in Giants stadium.

Very true. It's a shame that a lot of people (even Jets fans) don't think he was that great because he didn't throw for 4.000 yards every season. If they knew what a great athlete and leader he truly was, they'd have a better appreciation. He was larger than life in that era. I'd like to see even today's athletes play with the injuries that he had and still dominate the way he did.

They don't realize that he had the record for yards in a season, a record that stood for about a decade.

(without injury)????

oh I get it, if he had played his whole career with great knees and no other injuries....

because with his real knees and injuries in his real career he wasn't as good as Unitas, Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, Marino, Elway or any of the three you named in your post

(without injury)????

oh I get it, if he had played his whole career with great knees and no other injuries....

because with his real knees and injuries in his real career he wasn't as good as Unitas, Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, Marino, Elway or any of the three you named in your post

Your dreaming dude......I get it you don't like Namath, cause he called out your boy Fat man.....

he wasn't even in the same area code with any of those quarterbacks

sorry --- he was a great Jet quarterback, maybe in the top 10 but not any higher than that

BTW, just so we can keep track

you hate Sanchez, you hate Ryan, you hate Tannenbaum, that we know.... can you give us a short list of the 2 or 3 current Jets you don't hate to guide us in keeping track of your posting efforts...

Thanks

he wasn't even in the same area code with any of those quarterbacks

sorry --- he was a great Jet quarterback, maybe in the top 10 but not any higher than that

BTW, just so we can keep track

you hate Sanchez, you hate Ryan, you hate Tannenbaum, that we know.... can you give us a short list of the 2 or 3 current Jets you don't hate to guide us in keeping track of your posting efforts...

Thanks

First off, I never said I hate Rex, second I never said I hate Sanchez....and if you really paid attention to my posting styles...you would know I am the one that says give Sanchez a chance (except when it comes to having a QB like Manning)....third your entitled to your opinion...even if its wrong. I just don't like talk without the walk (and that's Rex now). That's not me...if I say I am going to kick your a$$, I do it. I don't talk about it and then I get my a$$ whipped. I am a Jets fan through and through team comes first always will....you just don't like the fact that "someone" would question the all knowing oz I mean Rex.....get over it dude....and Namath has the balls to speak the truth....problem is people don't like the truth....anyway its your opinion. Your entitled.

the story of joe namath is like the bible for me. It happened before I was born, it was supposedly amazing, and it's a matter of faith that it can happen again.

So well put. I just listen to the stories from my Pops and just hope we can experience something similar. It wont be the magnitude of him because he was like nothing before but just the joy of knowing you got the man and a winner. Would be nice.

I tell ya, I hear about how some say Namath was overrated, yadayada - obvioulsy I never saw him play but when you watch those throw back games...he's form, technique, spin, was unreal. Guy just looked the part.

I tell ya, I hear about how some say Namath was overrated, yadayada - obvioulsy I never saw him play but when you watch those throw back games...he's form, technique, spin, was unreal. Guy just looked the part.

the footballs he threw looked like they were launched out of a cannon.

Namath was awesome, they asked maynard about catching one of his throws, black and blue all over his arms. Got to C Namath play in his last yr of Bama b4 knee injury. Incredible talent

the story of joe namath is like the bible for me. It happened before I was born, it was supposedly amazing, and it's a matter of faith that it can happen again.

Bit it will happen again. have faith. I was a huge Joe fan and still am. I was woorking at Hofstra when Jets camp was on. Joe would be out there in pain throwing darts! He'd walk off the field in obvious pain. BUT if there were 300 kids there waiting for autographs, Joe signed for everyone and smiled and greeted each kid. He was and is a hero in my opinion. I remember him making a tackle ina preseason game and being injured severley. Yet that was JOE NAMATH. He hated to lose even in a preseason game! Speaking of which the disrespect that the Gianis players gave him after he won SB3 disgusted me and to this day I hate the Giaints . When we beat them at the Yale Bowl the following year it was as good as winning the Super Bowl. The high and mighty Giaints were soundly defeated by the upstarts who happened to be World Champs! Screw the Giaints!

and they were very accurate as well. I saw him throwing after practice several times . he would set up a tire at different distances. it was suspended from pole. Joe would throw the ball through the tire from many different distances. it was almost always a rope. Joe was as accurate as they came. He also had classic touch on the ball. Joe to passing deep to Maynard or Sauer were things of beauty!

Archived