Tonight on HBO, Namath

Jetfan13

Bit it will happen again. have faith. I was a huge Joe fan and still am. I was woorking at Hofstra when Jets camp was on. Joe would be out there in pain throwing darts! He'd walk off the field in obvious pain. BUT if there were 300 kids there waiting for autographs, Joe signed for everyone and smiled and greeted each kid. He was and is a hero in my opinion. I remember him making a tackle ina preseason game and being injured severley. Yet that was JOE NAMATH. He hated to lose even in a preseason game! Speaking of which the disrespect that the Gianis players gave him after he won SB3 disgusted me and to this day I hate the Giaints . When we beat them at the Yale Bowl the following year it was as good as winning the Super Bowl. The high and mighty Giaints were soundly defeated by the upstarts who happened to be World Champs! Screw the Giaints!

Very well said....I hope we as Jet's fans have someone like Joe again, one can hope....

The Jets knew, at least to some degree that what they were getting with Namath was damaged goods and that the shelf life may very possibly be short. They took that chance, and won big in part because of it.

But, Namath's saga spooked the Jets for many years after, and they became very suspect of any college player who had any sort of medical marks on their history. The Jets, notoriously for decades (through James Nicholas, etc.) conducted rigorous medical examinations of draft candidates. Any flags and they would come off the board. Some claim, and who knows if it is true, that they were spooked off of Marino because of the knee (not to mention the drug innuendos, which the Jets flee from).

Joe is the ultimate Jet. I thought I respected his career but after the documentary there was even more that he deserved of my respect. I realized now that Joe has forgotten more about football than all of us here will ever know in our lifetimes. If Joe says that there is a problem with our team it needs to be fixes imo. Cant give him the 100% backing on the locker room since he isnt in it but I can now give him much more respect on all thing football and all things Jets as well. He is a Jet for life!!!

What a great documentary, I learned a lot and it made me appreciate what kind of player Joe Namath was for us. Never watched Namath play because I'm just 21 years old, but man what a joy it would've been to watch him play. I just hope one of these days we see a Jets' quarterback of his talent come along and bring us home a Super Bowl trophy that we have been craving for a very LONG time.

speaking as a "sudo" Jet fan who went to two Titan home games in 60 and 61 and went to the first ever NY Jet home game at the Polo Grounds (Marshall Starks returned a missed George Blanda field goal 97 yards for a TD that propelled the Jets to a huge upset win over the Oilers who had dominated the AFL for three seasons)

let me sum things up, from my "sudo" perspective

Joe Willie Namath was a great Jet player and changed the NFL forever with the monstrous upset of the Colts in 1969 in the AFL-NFL Championship Game (not called the Superbowl yet at that time). He had a great career as a player and deserves his spot in the HOF. He also was the voice of optimism and Mr NY Jet for most of the next 40 sum odd years, a voice who promised new championships for the team even in the darkest days of Coslet, Carroll and Kotite.

His personal life was another story --- a terrible TV color commentator both in his short and thankfully forgotten chair on Monday Night Football and for the Jets preseason games on local TV for many years.... unless you thing "Golly Gee Whiz" is a good summary of the play that just took place. He suffered broken marraiges and bouts with drinking and hit rock bottom again on Monday Night Football when he showed up sloshed for a halftime interview with Suzy Kolber that managed to embarrass himself, the New York Jets and the entire NFL.

He has done what had to be done to recover from his illness and hopefully remains sober for the rest of his days. He remained Mr NY Jet still.

But, it appears that he had blown most of his money during his dark years and with his broadcasting opportunities also blown he was, I'm guessing, pretty cash poor. So when espn-ny radio offered him a paid weekly spot on the Michael Kay show he took it.

No one specifically forced him to go from Mr NY Jet to Mr Negative. But we all know that Kay and Lagreca hate the Jets and they have been able to skillfully goad him into attacking Rex, attacking Sanchez and pretty much finding fault with everything about the team with the same one sidedness that he once used to optimistically forecast the best of all possible worlds for the team

Anyhow, this is the last time I plan to post anything here about the former Mr NY Jet, Joe Willie Namath. I prefer to remember his great days as a player and quarterback and not listen to or discuss the bitter and negative commentator he has now become

Thanks Joe for your great Super Bowl win and everything you've done as a player for the Jets.

speaking as a "sudo" Jet fan who went to two Titan home games in 60 and 61 and went to the first ever NY Jet home game at the Polo Grounds (Marshall Starks returned a missed George Blanda field goal 97 yards for a TD that propelled the Jets to a huge upset win over the Oilers who had dominated the AFL for three seasons)

Joe Willie Namath was a great Jet player and changed the NFL forever with the monstrous upset of the Colts in 1969 in the AFL-NFL Championship Game (not called the Superbowl yet at that time). He had a great career as a player and deserves his spot in the HOF. He also was the voice of optimism and Mr NY Jet for most of the next 40 sum odd years, a voice who promised new championships for the team even in the darkest days of Coslet, Carroll and Kotite.

His personal life was another story --- a terrible TV color commentator both in his short and thankfully forgotten chair on Monday Night Football and for the Jets preseason games on local TV for many years.... unless you thing "Golly Gee Whiz" is a good summary of the play that just took place. He suffered broken marraiges and bouts with drinking and hit rock bottom again on Monday Night Football when he showed up sloshed for a halftime interview with Suzy Kolber that managed to embarrass himself, the New York Jets and the entire NFL.

He has done what had to be done to recover from his illness and hopefully remains sober for the rest of his days. He remained Mr NY Jet still.

But, it appears that he had blown most of his money during his dark years and with his broadcasting opportunities also blown he was, I'm guessing, pretty cash poor. So when espn-ny radio offered him a paid weekly spot on the Michael Kay show he took it.

No one specifically forced him to go from Mr NY Jet to Mr Negative. But we all know that Kay and Lagreca hate the Jets and they have been able to skillfully goad him into attacking Rex, attacking Sanchez and pretty much finding fault with everything about the team with the same one sidedness that he once used to optimistically forecast the best of all possible worlds for the team

Anyhow, this is the last time I plan to post anything here about the former Mr NY Jet, Joe Willie Namath. I prefer to remember his great days as a player and quarterback and not listen to or discuss the bitter and negative commentator he has now become

Thanks Joe for your great Super Bowl win and everything you've done as a player for the Jets.

Kay and skillfull ? You lost me there.

The game was called the Super Bowl when the Jets and Colts played in it.

Agreed. Without the Jets win in 1969 and the Chiefs win the next year against the also massively overrated Vikings, the AFL would have gone into the merger as a "minor league" with no leverage and I doubt very much that the Colts, Steelers and Browns could have been cajoled into moving from the NFL to the AFC to balance out the league at 13 teams in each conference

Would note his house looked awfully nice for a supposedly-destitute guy. His manager has from the looks of things kept him in the black, despite a bad divorce. He took thr ESPN gig because it's found money and not heavy lifting. Let me offer anyone several tens of thousands of dollars to talk to Michael Kay once a week on the phone for 10 minutes, and see if they turn it down. And his spots are always pretty good. Kinda sad he didn't devote himself more to TV than the bottle.

One final comment on Namath.....for whatever it's worth, there are a few people that are bigger than life and overshadow the sport for good or bad, Ali was one, Joe Frazer, another....Bath Ruth.....Lou Gerhig....Micky Mantle....Willie Mays....Hank Aaron......Mike Tyson.....Michael Jordan.....And Joe Namath...There are a couple of more names you can argue about...but in the end only a hand few need no name only a photo and many know their name. They may not know all the details, they may not know all the in's and out's of the life of the player..but they know "he did something huge"....

The problem with the ESPN generation is that they are lost in phony hype and stats and could care less about any player before 2008, The passing game is like touch football today---after 5 yrds recievers can run where ever they want and if u hit them too hard u get a flag...lol

Yes..I tried to explain along with a couple of other posters that the game/rules have changed....WR's would get mauled back then....can you imagine a WR running a slant across the middle? NFL = Not For Long! at least back then.....

Archived