Woody To Meet With Sanchez Next Week

flgreen

Woody, Sanchez to break bread next week

February, 2, 2012

Feb 2

3:25

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

INDIANAPOLIS – New York Jets owner Woody Johnson arrived Thursday at Peyton’s Place, but soon his attention will be focused on his own quarterback, Mark Sanchez.

Johnson told ESPNNewYork.com he’s planning to have dinner next week with the embattled Sanchez, one of the central figures in the Jets’ locker-room mess.

“We’ll be discussing things,” Johnson said after checking into a downtown Indianapolis hotel. “I always check in on him. He’s very important to the franchise.”

The timing is interesting because the Jets have to make a decision on wide receiver Santonio Holmes before next Wednesday, based on a clause in the five-year, $45 million contract he signed before the season.

Team officials have said Holmes, whose season-long rift with Sanchez became public at the end of the season, will be on the team next season. But if they wanted to release him, they’d have to do it by Wednesday to avoid a $15 million guarantee. As it stands now, he’s already guaranteed $7.75 million for 2012.

Publicly, Johnson, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan have said Sanchez will be the Jets’ starter in 2012. But in an interview with beat writers two weeks ago, Johnson didn’t rule out the possibility of pursuing Peyton Manning, whose time with the Indianapolis Colts appears to be nearing an end.

Sanchez, criticized publicly and privately by teammates, has avoided the media since the season ended. He’s not attending any pre-Super Bowl events, a break from his norm.

Johnson, accompanied by Tannenbaum, traveled to the site of Super Bowl XLVI, in part, to do some advance scouting for the 2014 Super Bowl, which will be held at MetLife Stadium. Johnson said it doesn’t bother him that the New York Giants are playing for the championship for the second time in four years.

“Well done, well done,” said Johnson, who called co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch to congratulate them. “They’ve had a great run here. My hat’s off to them, it really is. They’ve done a very good job. They peaked at the right time.”

Asked if he’s envious of the Giants’ success, Johnson said: “Any owner is envious of the teams that get in because that’s what we’re struggling to do. The ultimate goal in NFL football is to get into a Super Bowl. That drives us. We know how hard it is. We’ve been working 40 years on this.”

Johnson’s team was expected to contend for a championship – Ryan guaranteed a Super Bowl – but it collapsed late in the season amid a fractured locker room. Johnson has owned the Jets since 2000, and he has seen the Giants advance three times to the Super Bowl. That, he insisted, won’t have any impact on his approach.

“We’re about as determined as you can get anyway,” he said. “We’re always looking to win. With Mike and Rex and our quarterback, I’m confident we’re going to put it together. We’re working hard. It’s s up to us to make it in this game.”

This particular Super-Bowl matchup – Giants versus New England Patriots – is tough on Jets fans. Johnson said he has no rooting interest in the game. Asked who Jets fans should pull for, he said: “They have to figure that out for themselves.”

Is this the "We are going to look at bringing in Peyton.." talk?

Pretty much this ^

What need exactly does Woody have to take 'Mark out to dinner'?

I mean unless it's a conversation of "you need to work harder", what do they need to discuss?

this is the pay cut discussion

Mark is due a 3 million dollar roster bonus March 1, for the right to pay him another 9 over the course of the season

say what you will about this player, he's probably not worth that salary, this year.

ive said this before, it's one thing to root for Mark Sanchez and hope he does well, it's another to pay him a lump sum of $2,750,000.00 for no apparent reason. Just cause it's March. players who turn the ball over 26 times don't usually get huge bonuses as a reward.

Woody, Sanchez to break bread next week

February, 2, 2012

Feb 2

3:25

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

INDIANAPOLIS – New York Jets owner Woody Johnson arrived Thursday at Peyton’s Place, but soon his attention will be focused on his own quarterback, Mark Sanchez.

Johnson told ESPNNewYork.com he’s planning to have dinner next week with the embattled Sanchez, one of the central figures in the Jets’ locker-room mess.

“We’ll be discussing things,” Johnson said after checking into a downtown Indianapolis hotel. “I always check in on him. He’s very important to the franchise.”

The timing is interesting because the Jets have to make a decision on wide receiver Santonio Holmes before next Wednesday, based on a clause in the five-year, $45 million contract he signed before the season.

Team officials have said Holmes, whose season-long rift with Sanchez became public at the end of the season, will be on the team next season. But if they wanted to release him, they’d have to do it by Wednesday to avoid a $15 million guarantee. As it stands now, he’s already guaranteed $7.75 million for 2012.

Publicly, Johnson, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan have said Sanchez will be the Jets’ starter in 2012. But in an interview with beat writers two weeks ago, Johnson didn’t rule out the possibility of pursuing Peyton Manning, whose time with the Indianapolis Colts appears to be nearing an end.

Sanchez, criticized publicly and privately by teammates, has avoided the media since the season ended. He’s not attending any pre-Super Bowl events, a break from his norm.

Johnson, accompanied by Tannenbaum, traveled to the site of Super Bowl XLVI, in part, to do some advance scouting for the 2014 Super Bowl, which will be held at MetLife Stadium. Johnson said it doesn’t bother him that the New York Giants are playing for the championship for the second time in four years.

“Well done, well done,” said Johnson, who called co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch to congratulate them. “They’ve had a great run here. My hat’s off to them, it really is. They’ve done a very good job. They peaked at the right time.”

Asked if he’s envious of the Giants’ success, Johnson said: “Any owner is envious of the teams that get in because that’s what we’re struggling to do. The ultimate goal in NFL football is to get into a Super Bowl. That drives us. We know how hard it is. We’ve been working 40 years on this.”

Johnson’s team was expected to contend for a championship – Ryan guaranteed a Super Bowl – but it collapsed late in the season amid a fractured locker room. Johnson has owned the Jets since 2000, and he has seen the Giants advance three times to the Super Bowl. That, he insisted, won’t have any impact on his approach.

“We’re about as determined as you can get anyway,” he said. “We’re always looking to win. With Mike and Rex and our quarterback, I’m confident we’re going to put it together. We’re working hard. It’s s up to us to make it in this game.”

This particular Super-Bowl matchup – Giants versus New England Patriots – is tough on Jets fans. Johnson said he has no rooting interest in the game. Asked who Jets fans should pull for, he said: “They have to figure that out for themselves.”

Woody's discussion will go something like this..."Mark, I have been thinking long and hard and I have come to the realization that you need some additional assistance.....", and then just like that Manning walks into the room.......

Sanchez publicly said he would work out a restructure on those big guarantees last season, if the team needed it done. So there won't be any problem doing so this offseason IMO. Holmes is going to do the same thing, With a full offseason with OTAs and a full training camp and the removal of Son of Marty the baloney that happened last season will not be repeated.

Maybe they can bring in Peyton on his rascal scooter as a consultant to consultant Moore because he is DONE as an NFL quarterback with that neck situation. Teams (including the Colts) would be risking a huge uninsured legal nightmare signing a player with that level of injury with full knowledge of all the implications and dangers

Sanchez publicly said he would work out a restructure on those big guarantees last season, if the team needed it done. So there won't be any problem doing so this offseason IMO. Holmes is going to do the same thing, With a full offseason with OTAs and a full training camp and the removal of Son of Marty the baloney that happened last season will not be repeated.

Maybe they can bring in Peyton on his rascal scooter as a consultant to consultant Moore because he is DONE as an NFL quarterback with that neck situation. Teams (including the Colts) would be risking a huge uninsured legal nightmare signing a player with that level of injury with full knowledge of all the implications and dangers

So your an expert in Neck Injuries?.....I think we have to bring in the expert guys

I agree

We are ALL Jet fans. There are enough Pat fans, LOLphans, Midget fans and the like out there to hate the Jets and their fans.

I apologize if my enthusiasm for the 2012-13 season offended anyone

GO JETS

You're actually just a troll who eats sour grapes.

You admitted already that since you didn't get your way you preferred that every human being in the super bowl get's a life altering injury. Seriously a piece of trash, you are.

tell you what, BIG BLUE fan.... I'm done responding to your stalking, namecalling, personal attacks and other crap

have a good life

BIG BLUE!!!!111oneoneone!!!11

And in the end, you're still just a troll. Haven't made one personal attack towards you by the way. Just responded to ridiculous remarks that you have made all over this forum. People like you are why Jets fans get a bad name.

sg3 is just an aplogist, nothin more. There is nothing wrong in Jetland. Everything is fine now that "son of Marty" is gone. Lol

I agree. This entire forum is full of cool people. sg3 just so happens to be a perfect example of why all Jets fans undeservedly get stereotyped as a-holes.

I agree. This entire forum is full of cool people. sg3 just so happens to be a perfect example of why all Jets fans undeservedly get stereotyped as a-holes.

Don't sweat sg3. He just loves all things Jets.

There are cool people here. You'll be alright, Mike. Us Giant fans have to stick together.

for 40 years, we Jet fans were angry that our beloved old owner took NO role in the team other than writing checks except for three major occasions (two bad and one good)

the bad -- telling the players not to play like horses asses in one of annual pre-thanksgiving messages at Hofstra (the only day of the year in which he saw the team) and rushing back from the Bahamas to scarf up Richie Kotite before anybody else grabbed him (He's a dese and dose guy)

the good--finally waking up and sh*tcanning the very same Kotite and hiring Parcells

His lack of attention to the team was a major source of anger, frustration et al from Jet fans

Now the Jets new owner appears to devote more of his time and interest to the team (as evidenced in Hard Knocks) by his relatively quick decision to ax Mangini and hire Rex etc...

I submit that it is a good thing for the owner to take charge given the alleged locker room issues of 2011.

I would seriously like to see a rational reason from someone at JN as to why this is a bad thing

I don't think there's any reason to believe this has anything to do with a potential paycut. For starters, I doubt Woody would take that on instead of Tanny, and besides, it's been made excessively clear by the NFLPA that they will not allow any off contract negotiations prior to the start of the new league year. It's the whole reason why the Colts couldn't try to work something out with Peyton even if they wanted.

BIG BLUE!!!!111oneoneone!!!11

And in the end, you're still just a troll. Haven't made one personal attack towards you by the way. Just responded to ridiculous remarks that you have made all over this forum. People like you are why Jets fans get a bad name.

He only gives Jet fans a bad name based on a Giant fan who decided to make a Jetnation account 24 hours ago solely to throw salt on wombs.

Thats the TRUE definition of a troll. You and your 29 posts. You said it yourself. You've been responding to remarks he made all around this forum yet you've been part of this forum for like 15 minutes, and you got the balls to call someone a troll?

Luckily for us most of the trolls who call Jet fans trolls on "jet forums" will be gone after the Superbowl.

He only gives Jet fans a bad name based on a Giant fan who decided to make a Jetnation account 24 hours ago solely to throw salt on wombs.

Thats the TRUE definition of a troll. You and your 29 posts. You said it yourself. You've been responding to remarks he made all around this forum yet you've been part of this forum for like 15 minutes, and you got the balls to call someone a troll?

Luckily for us most of the trolls who call Jet fans trolls on "jet forums" will be gone after the Superbowl.

Spoken like a true homer.

I've been more then respectful, haven't bashed your team once, nor did I "make an account to pour salt in any wounds". And I have made decent contributions to any thread I posted in. So your entire response is pretty much null. I suppose you can make statements that are completely false and claim them to be facts, that's your pejorative, but at the end of the day it's completely false.

Nor have I attacked anyone.

The ONLY thing i took issue with was sg3 wishing career ending, life altering injuries on players that aren't on his team. That's seriously demented and shows what kind of a person he is. If you want to defend that, then go ahead... But at the end of the day I haven't attacked your team once, spewed insults at anybody, or done any of the other things you accused me of doing.

So get your facts straight.

this is the pay cut discussion

Mark is due a 3 million dollar roster bonus March 1, for the right to pay him another 9 over the course of the season

say what you will about this player, he's probably not worth that salary, this year.

ive said this before, it's one thing to root for Mark Sanchez and hope he does well, it's another to pay him a lump sum of $2,750,000.00 for no apparent reason. Just cause it's March. players who turn the ball over 26 times don't usually get huge bonuses as a reward.

It very well could be. I do not think it is 100% that Sanchez is a Jet next year. The conversation could be along the lines of take a dramatically lower salary or we will trade you

Archived