What position should the Jets address with our 1st draft pick?

RyanBe_Tweetin

I never watched any tape on Courtney Upshaw before just a few minutes ago and it has completely changed how I feel about the Jets drafting him. He looked a little slow to me and honestly didnt look like he was giving offensive linemen problems. It looked like a lot of his sacks came off plays where he went unblocked or the QB held the ball for too long and i got the impression that aside from option plays, he isnt great against the run. He reminds me a lot of Mo Wilkerson and I dont believe he is the elite pass rusher that Mike Mayock has hyped him up to be. On a side note I saw some of Mark Barron and I have to say I really like what I saw. I think that drafting Barron at 16 would be better than drafting Upshaw at 16 even though the Jets need a pass rush desperately.

In order:

1. WR--Simply because it's currently a huge hole, you can't count on Holmes, and you have no chance to lure one here in free agency. If Blackmon falls (and he might because of the 40), Tannenbaum should grab him and hope he's Keyshawn without the mouth.

2. S--Obviously another need. The Jets will never come close to beating the Pats again unless they get guys who can compete against TEs.

3. OLB--It looks like a weak crop of pass rushers, but maybe Tannenbaum can sneak a peek at Jerry Reese's notebook to get the name of a guy he thinks can get to the QB.

4. QB--If Tannehill absolutely dominates in post-season workouts and Ron Jaworski calls him the best QB in the draft, there's no way Tannenbaum will be able to resist.

In order:

1. WR--Simply because it's currently a huge hole, you can't count on Holmes, and you have no chance to lure one here in free agency. If Blackmon falls (and he might because of the 40), Tannenbaum should grab him and hope he's Keyshawn without the mouth.

2. S--Obviously another need. The Jets will never come close to beating the Pats again unless they get guys who can compete against TEs.

3. OLB--It looks like a weak crop of pass rushers, but maybe Tannenbaum can sneak a peek at Jerry Reese's notebook to get the name of a guy he thinks can get to the QB.

4. QB--If Tannehill absolutely dominates in post-season workouts and Ron Jaworski calls him the best QB in the draft, there's no way Tannenbaum will be able to resist.

Thats true, I didnt think about it but its a small chance the Jets could lure any big time WR to NY after what just happened this season. I agree with you on the Safety position. To me if you draft Barron and sign Landry or Griffin we have a good chance of beating the Pats next year. I dont think our 4th need is a QB we shouldnt use a high draft pick on a QB unless were getting rid of Sanchez. Right Tackle and Running Back are both bigger needs than QB in my opinion. We've proved we can win with a mediocre quarterback if you can give him time in the pocket and take some pressure off him with a solid running game to fall back on.

Thats true, I didnt think about it but its a small chance the Jets could lure any big time WR to NY after what just happened this season. I agree with you on the Safety position. To me if you draft Barron and sign Landry or Griffin we have a good chance of beating the Pats next year. I dont think our 4th need is a QB we shouldnt use a high draft pick on a QB unless were getting rid of Sanchez. Right Tackle and Running Back are both bigger needs than QB in my opinion. We've proved we can win with a mediocre quarterback if you can give him time in the pocket and take some pressure off him with a solid running game to fall back on.

I was being facetious about QB, though it'll be interesting to see just how early they draft one (if at all). I think they'll address RT and RB in free agency, where they'll look for cheap vets to fill holes (as usual). I'd almost be shocked if Ronnie Brown isn't brought in if only to run the godforsaken wildcat for Sparano.

As to the draft, history tells us that Tannenbaum will try to be aggressive (read: trades), and with Rex moving into his 4th year, I'd expect some real urgency to get immediate impact players as opposed to bringing in developmental athletes. Add to this the fact that Tannenbaum won't have millions in daddy's money to throw around in free agency, and that leaves draft picks as the only bullets he really has in his gun. I'm expecting trade-ups for players that blew up at the Combine or in the bowls. Would it surprise anybody if they drafted the Honey Badger?

I was being facetious about QB, though it'll be interesting to see just how early they draft one (if at all). I think they'll address RT and RB in free agency, where they'll look for cheap vets to fill holes (as usual). I'd almost be shocked if Ronnie Brown isn't brought in if only to run the godforsaken wildcat for Sparano.

As to the draft, history tells us that Tannenbaum will try to be aggressive (read: trades), and with Rex moving into his 4th year, I'd expect some real urgency to get immediate impact players as opposed to bringing in developmental athletes. Add to this the fact that Tannenbaum won't have millions in daddy's money to throw around in free agency, and that leaves draft picks as the only bullets he really has in his gun. I'm expecting trade-ups for players that blew up at the Combine or in the bowls. Would it surprise anybody if they drafted the Honey Badger?

I think the Honey Badger isn't eligible because he's an underclassman. I could see the jets signing Ronnie Brown for cheap and I expect trade ups as well but I think we might have more money to spend that weve been led to believe. Read this article http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/10715/saving-cap-dollars-for-a-rainy-day . Most of the room would probably go to Pouha but maybe after restructuring a few contracts we would have some room to sign a big name player.

1: Safety and/or MLB w. pass defense speed.

2: Right Tackle

3: WR

I think Inside backer is only a position of need if we get rid of Scott which I don't think is great idea this year. We have a lot of needs and a very limited amount of money to spend and I heard that it would cost money to get rid of him? I say you keep Scott for one more year and draft a stud ILB next year.

In order:

Good post but I think we have to look at the RB position as well .... Greene is good and can be really good but he runs so hard he usually hurts himself and the rib thing looks like it could be a lingering issue. Joe McKnight falls down if a defender looks at him and Powell has not really had a chance to show us anything at all. Is this the group we want to head into the regular season with ?

When it comes to WR I hope we can grab a top vet if possible, because what kind of situation will a young guy be comming into with a struggling QB and an Idiot for a mentor in Holmes. Thats if Homes even bothers to take a young guy under his wing which is not much of a wing to begin with. Holmes is not a number 1 WR .. period

I think Inside backer is only a position of need if we get rid of Scott which I don't think is great idea this year. We have a lot of needs and a very limited amount of money to spend and I heard that it would cost money to get rid of him? I say you keep Scott for one more year and draft a stud ILB next year.

I think the Jets should consider switching to a 4-3 since our personnel seems to be leaning in that direction. We have a lot of DL and we are looking at having to replace at least 2 LB's in Thomas and Scott within the next year or two. I dont think its too far fetched to make such a move because even Pace is getting old. Since we have the bodies on the DL it would certainly help. Looking back we probably should have drafted a LB rather than getting 2 DL in last years draft. maybe Rex is leaning toward more of a 4-3 since the moves we have made the last 2 years points in that direction.

Scott seems to be a very old 31 Pace is always nicked up and playing hurt and Thomas at his age will not come back from an achillies tear so we have 1 LB left in Harris and a bunch of young guys yet we decided to draft 2 DL last year ... Either this is just a really dumb personnel move or Rex is up to something. Im leaning toward dumb to be honest

I think the Jets should consider switching to a 4-3 since our personnel seems to be leaning in that direction. We have a lot of DL and we are looking at having to replace at least 2 LB's in Thomas and Scott within the next year or two. I dont think its too far fetched to make such a move because even Pace is getting old. Since we have the bodies on the DL it would certainly help. Looking back we probably should have drafted a LB rather than getting 2 DL in last years draft. maybe Rex is leaning toward more of a 4-3 since the moves we have made the last 2 years points in that direction.

Scott seems to be a very old 31 Pace is always nicked up and playing hurt and Thomas at his age will not come back from an achillies tear so we have 1 LB left in Harris and a bunch of young guys yet we decided to draft 2 DL last year ... Either this is just a really dumb personnel move or Rex is up to something. Im leaning toward dumb to be honest

I think there is no chance of the Jets switching to a 4-3 no matter what the personnel is as long as Rex Ryan is our head coach. We drafted two DL last year because Ellis left and both Devito and Pouha are old. We needed youth at the Defensive linemen position. Pace isnt young but I dont think its time to cast him off just yet. I think Harris and Pace are solid for the next couple of years. If we draft an OLB that fills the void and Scott is okay for next year. You wont find too many better/cost effective replacements.

the most telling statistic in football is passer rating differential. so either a guy to help our passing game or stop the other guys passing game. I say WR or pass rusher

not a fan of taking a S at 16

Im not a fan either but we need an impact player at 16. Im watching a little of Melvin Ingram as I type and maybe hes the guy we need to take over Upshaw but right now I think Barron is an immediate upgrade at safety and we need to stop the Patriots passing game and cover Gronkowski and Hernandez better. If we traded out of the 16 does anyone think Barron would be there at the end of the first round?

I think there is no chance of the Jets switching to a 4-3 no matter what the personnel is as long as Rex Ryan is our head coach. We drafted two DL last year because Ellis left and both Devito and Pouha are old. We needed youth at the Defensive linemen position. Pace isnt young but I dont think its time to cast him off just yet. I think Harris and Pace are solid for the next couple of years. If we draft an OLB that fills the void and Scott is okay for next year. You wont find too many better/cost effective replacements.

Devito is only 26 and this teams top position when it comes to depth is the DL. We are facing issues at LB the next few years no matter how you slice it. Maybin is NOT a starting LB and our Backups are Bellore, Mauga, and Westerman . I think Bellore can amount to a starter because of what Westhoff had to say about him but the other guys dont look like starters so were looking at replaceing at least 3 LB's in the next 2 years and that just the starters . Rex does run some 4-3 sets and if he has to coach to the personnel he has dont be surprised if you see more 4-3 sets this upcomming season

Only one guy on the DL is old and thats Pouha

The best player available at 16 or trade down. We need a playmaker.

the New York Mick nails it

hopefully the best available player at number 16 is somebody who can send Bryan Thomas into well deserved retirement and with Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis and Mayhem find quarterbacks in the backfield and dismember them

If that guy isn't there, fuggedaboud positions and take the best player

Devito is only 26 and this teams top position when it comes to depth is the DL. We are facing issues at LB the next few years no matter how you slice it. Maybin is NOT a starting LB and our Backups are Bellore, Mauga, and Westerman . I think Bellore can amount to a starter because of what Westhoff had to say about him but the other guys dont look like starters so were looking at replaceing at least 3 LB's in the next 2 years and that just the starters . Rex does run some 4-3 sets and if he has to coach to the personnel he has dont be surprised if you see more 4-3 sets this upcomming season

Only one guy on the DL is old and thats Pouha

Didnt even realize how young Devito was and I think youre wrong about replacing 3 LBs in the next 2 years. Even if we did its not hard to replace them. Youre gonna see Thomas replaced this offseason. Maybe we draft Burflict in the second and hes the answer at ILB for next 7-8 years. In the next couple years, depending on Paces production, you could see us replacing him. Neither of the 3 produces at an all star level so replacing their production isnt an impossible feat.

Didnt even realize how young Devito was and I think youre wrong about replacing 3 LBs in the next 2 years. Even if we did its not hard to replace them. Youre gonna see Thomas replaced this offseason. Maybe we draft Burflict in the second and hes the answer at ILB for next 7-8 years. In the next couple years, depending on Paces production, you could see us replacing him. Neither of the 3 produces at an all star level so replacing their production isnt an impossible feat.

In the next 2 years Scott Thomas and Pace will be gone at some point ...Im not sure there is a question there ... I agree none of them are really playing at a high level right now and would be easily replaced but will we replace them with what we need to get it done and will the replacements owrk out ? Fact is we have a lot of questions at the LB position and we have 8 young DL with 4 Defensive tackles on the roster . It looks to me like the way we are handling our Personnel we might see some changes in the defense. Just a guess .....Usually 3-4 defenses load up on LB's like Parcells and Belichick used to do rex likes to load up on DL and CB and we know Rex has run the 4-3 mixed in so hes not opposed to doing it. Guess will just have to see how it plays out

The best player available at 16 or trade down. We need a playmaker.

This. Although RT is a glaring need, I have a feeling they will fill this spot with a competent veteran via FA -- not a stud franchise T, but merely a solid player which puts us way ahead of what we had last season.

In the next 2 years Scott Thomas and Pace will be gone at some point ...Im not sure there is a question there ... I agree none of them are really playing at a high level right now and would be easily replaced but will we replace them with what we need to get it done and will the replacements owrk out ? Fact is we have a lot of questions at the LB position and we have 8 young DL with 4 Defensive tackles on the roster . It looks to me like the way we are handling our Personnel we might see some changes in the defense. Just a guess .....Usually 3-4 defenses load up on LB's like Parcells and Belichick used to do rex likes to load up on DL and CB and we know Rex has run the 4-3 mixed in so hes not opposed to doing it. Guess will just have to see how it plays out

Also to add to this I just remembered the Jets hired Dunbar the DL coach from the Vikings who has coached in the 4-3 and coached very well . Its not far fetched to see a 4-3 next year

They need an OLB on the other side like nobody's business. I think Pace will be more effective if they have someone working the other side. Maybin, at this point, is not an every down player unless they find a way to bulk him up without slowing him down.

Considering the number of holes on our team, I'm glad we are picking in the top-half of the round. I don't think we can pigeon-hole any particular position but can let the draft come to us, and take a premium player at a number of positions...or, can finally trade down, and stay in the first round.

Depending on who slides, I would be completely thrilled if we stayed put, and drafted:

RB Trent Richardson

WR Justin Blackmon

OLB Melvin Ingram

OT Riley Rieff

Or, if we traded back a little and still picked up:

OG David DeCastro

T/G Cordy Glenn

WR Kendall Wright

CB/S Dre Kirkpatrick

Just NO back-up QBs in the first. Unless Jaws gives it the go-ahead.

Huh? As usual??

In the past 4 years and counting, what cheap vets has Tannenbaum brought in at RB or any of our 5 OL positions other than Tomlinson (who wasn't even brought in here to start)?

LT = Ferguson since '06

LG = Faneca '08-'09, Jets-drafted Slauson beat out Jets-drafted Ducasse

C = Mangold since '06

RG = Moore since '03

RT = Woody '08-'10; promoted Hunter (who was already on the team) in '11 which didn't go so awesome.

RB's:

Jones = '07-'09, traded a day-1 pick (day 1 pick value anyway) and gave him an expensive contract

Greene, Leon, McKnight, Powell = Jets-drafted

Tomlinson = '10-'11, only "cheap" vet brought in

Am I missing someone?

The last time the Jets brought in a new face to be a cheap option on the OL was in '07 and we haven't sniffed at doing that again since.

Huh? As usual??

In the past 4 years and counting, what cheap vets has Tannenbaum brought in at RB or any of our 5 OL positions other than Tomlinson (who wasn't even brought in here to start)?

LT = Ferguson since '06

LG = Faneca '08-'09, Jets-drafted Slauson beat out Jets-drafted Ducasse

C = Mangold since '06

RG = Moore since '03

RT = Woody '08-'10; promoted Hunter (who was already on the team) in '11 which didn't go so awesome.

RB's:

Jones = '07-'09, traded a day-1 pick (day 1 pick value anyway) and gave him an expensive contract

Greene, Leon, McKnight, Powell = Jets-drafted

Tomlinson = '10-'11, only "cheap" vet brought in

Am I missing someone?

The last time the Jets brought in a new face to be a cheap option on the OL was in '07 and we haven't sniffed at doing that again since.

Allow me to rephrase:

"Tannenbaum will have to use free agency to fill gaping holes, as usual."

Archived