Cimini: Looking at Potential Free-Agents Targets

flgreen

Looking at potential free-agent targets

March, 6, 2012

Mar 6

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

The franchise tags watered down the unrestricted market, especially at the safety position. Tyvon Branch (Raiders), Michael Griffin (Titans) and Dashon Goldson (49ers) all received tags, hurting safety-needy teams such as the Jets.

Here's a look at which free agents (all positions) are likely on the Jets' radar as we draw closer to the signing period (next Tuesday):

Chad Henne, QB, Dolphins -- The Jets are looking for a viable No. 2 and Henne, who already knows Tony Sparano's offense, fits the bill. They'd love to sign him, but money could be an issue.

Jarret Johnson, OLB, Ravens -- A Rex Ryan favorite from their days together in Baltimore. Johnson isn't a great pass rusher, but he's a terrific run defender on the edge. He's 31, so he comes with a buyer-beware label. The Jets are interested, sources said.

Jameel McClain, ILB, Ravens -- Here's that Baltimore connection again. If the Jets cut ties with Bart Scott, they're going to need a replacement.

Ronnie Brown, RB, Dolphins -- The Jets have interest, according to sources. Brown's production has declined steadily in recent years, but he knows Sparano's offense and could fill a need. The Jets want a back to complement Shonn Greene and they're not sure if Bilal Powell is ready.

Jason Campbell, QB, Raiders -- It's a long shot, but the Jets have had some discussions about him.

Vernon Carey, G/T, Dolphins -- The Sparano factor. And the Wayne Hunter factor.

LaRon Landry, S, Redskins -- He's the biggest name left at safety, but he has major durability concerns.

Thomas McCoud, S, Falcons -- He's a three-year starter and only 27. Those alone will make him a popular guy in free agency.

Laurent Robinson, WR, Cowboys -- He's 6-foot-2 and scored 11 touchdowns last season on only 54 receptions. He's going to make a lot of money.

Roberty Meacham, WR, Saints --His best year came in 2009, and even that wasn't all that great. Meacham has been an underachiever, but he's 6-foot-2, only 27 and comes from a prolific passing offense.

Looking at potential free-agent targets

March, 6, 2012

Mar 6

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

The franchise tags watered down the unrestricted market, especially at the safety position. Tyvon Branch (Raiders), Michael Griffin (Titans) and Dashon Goldson (49ers) all received tags, hurting safety-needy teams such as the Jets.

Here's a look at which free agents (all positions) are likely on the Jets' radar as we draw closer to the signing period (next Tuesday):

Chad Henne, QB, Dolphins -- Probably to expensive, but I like him as a Jet

Jarret Johnson, OLB, Ravens -- Pass. Sign BT back if healthy.

Jameel McClain, ILB, Ravens -- Keep Scott before this guy

Ronnie Brown, RB, Dolphins --Stick a fork in him

Jason Campbell, QB, Raiders -- Interesting, but probably to expensive unless they are going to dump Sanchez

Vernon Carey, G/T, Dolphins -- I like Carey. Very versatile and tough, Some injury concerns. I'd sign him first day of FA

LaRon Landry, S, Redskins -- Take a long hard look. Should be affordable

Thomas McCoud, S, Falcons -- Also look at, but the competition will be high

Laurent Robinson, WR, Cowboys -- Out of Jets market with Holmes contract. Bring back Braylon cheap

Roberty Meacham, WR, Saints -- Glorified JAG. Pass

Thomas DeCoud - DB - Falcons Falcons agreed to terms with FS Thomas DeCoud on an undisclosed contract.

The "terms" are unclear, but the word comes directly from the team. A third-round pick in 2008, DeCoud has started each of the past three seasons, and notched 86 tackles and a team-high four interceptions in 2011. He graded out negatively in coverage by Pro Football Focus, but has long been solid in run support.

http://www.rotoworld.com/

Anthony Collins would be an ideal RT here too. He's been a very good 6th OL for the Bengals, who have two solid tackles in his way. Well, Andre Smith is more blobbish than solid, but he's still not a bad player.

Definitely agree, think I've brought it up here before. Collins is a solid lineman, has had success in a division where he's playing against some good pass rushers. Won't start in Cincy, seems like a starting caliber player though. And should come relatively cheap given he doesn't have much starting experience. Would love to sign him to "compete" with Hunter and watch him run away with the job.

i'm not sold on Laurent Robinson, he's been in the league a while. I dont think he just Got "it" after all this time. I don't see him doing what he did last year again. I hope we don't go after him.

Archived