Does Tannenbaum know the lockout is over

Maxman

This has to be the case. Because I have absolutely no clue what could be leading him to believe that going into next season with the exact same ******* team is a good idea.

What he's done (and not done) this offseason looks a whole lot like rebuilding.

I think we had a great squad, and still do. Everyone wants to change everything and make a big splash in FA, we don't need that sh*t. All we needed was an offense coordinator who wasn't a compete ******* idiot. Has everyone already forgot that shotty, our number one reason for losing two AFC championship games and at least a third of our reg season games is gone? No more completely UN-prepared and inept game plans. No more we refuse to adjust at half time. No more plays that every single person in the stadium, at home, and my sister who is not watching can guess is.

Guys we need a Safety, big time, they are looking into it. We have the draft and still can probably land a FA. I mean who the hell were we supposed to go out and get? Manning? MWilliams? we would have broke the bank and not stuck to whatever game plan they had already conceived.

We locked up some vets, extended Mark and gave our offense a damn chance not to suck. We have alot of talent. All we need to really do now is have a solid draft, fix the safety and pass rush issue. Maybe raft a RB.

Shotty is gone!!!!! They could have done nothing else and it would have been good off-season. Shotty is GONE!!!!

can you imagine? a game plan, no more god awful shotty "ima trick the defense by running the same three damn plays every set of downs and make sure they are only designed to be short of the 1st down.

**** man rejoice Shotty is gone!!!

Link?

Proof?

link, proof? are you serious? did you watch the games? what exactly could i link here to prove it?

You want video of all the games the last 5 or 6 season? you cant remember watching the games and thinking wow I know what they are about to do and im not a defensive player in the NFL. I wish I had a link to the stories where they some jets were talking about how the opposing teams defense were calling out our plays.

Link, Proof, get the heck out of here with that crap.

If you don't think Shotty and his lack of ability to craft any sort of game plan, even a simple stuff like, this team is bad at stopping the run, so lets make sure to throw it all day is poor game-planning then there is no use for either one of us to talk to each other...no offense intended... but you have to be kidding right? shotty offense could not score in the first quarter for like 5 years. The only times we ever score seem to be inspite of his god awful game plan.

Shotty is gone, automatically we win more games.

Because he didn't overpay for Reggie Nelson?

Get over it people. Being desperate is rarely attractive anyway...being desperate for someone who isn't even all that good because there's a perception that he'd solve the TE problem for the D? I'm sure there's something better that can be done. If Nelson was good...or there wasn't a 4 year gap in between the years he does try...sure this would suck...but maaaaaaaajor meh on losing that loser.

Still plenty of time to upgrade the roster...and the better player is still on the market anyway.

Get over it people. Being desperate is rarely attractive anyway...being desperate for someone who isn't even all that good because there's a perception that he'd solve the TE problem for the D? I'm sure there's something better that can be done. If Nelson was good...or there wasn't a 4 year gap in between the years he does try...sure this would suck...but maaaaaaaajor meh on losing that loser.

Still plenty of time to upgrade the roster...and the better player is still on the market anyway.

Dude stayed over night. Sounds like they wined and dined him, full court press, which was good news as they're pretty desperate. Still didn't get him.

Dude stayed over night. Sounds like they wined and dined him, full court press, which was good news as they're pretty desperate. Still didn't get him.

He might have just missed another flight. Us stoners pull that stuff. In the end, they felt no need to overpay for mediocrity, and that could/should pay off.

I'd be so much more annoyed by this if Nelson was actually a good player who had a reputation for handling TEs. Rather, they passed on a guy who's been healthy the whole time and pretty sh*tty most of the time. Landry OTOH is a guy who's only drawback as a player is injuries, because he's been an impact talent when he's on the field and always has been, THAT is the preferable talent to me 10/10 times, especially when they're the same age.

That is my point. When they target a guy like that, they should get him.

Just not sure what the game plan is going to be, the Bills will be better, the fish are always thorns and these blanking Pats are the Jets worst enemy, and these Jets have done nothing other than a backup QB, 3rd string WR , same kicker and line backer , Just lost on what the game plan is going to be for this year, but the honeymoon for Ryan is coming to crashing end real soon :wtf:

LaRon Landry? I am no scout, but it seemed to me that we needed a safety that could COVER someone. So we entertain LaRon Landry, who can't cover anything?

I keep hearing about this fabled safety....BESIDES Eric Berry, who hasn't even finished a season yet (IIRC)...what safety in the league has that ability? Hell, I can't even say for sure that Berry is blanketing anyone out there.

Not to mention I feel like this "Landry can't cover" thing is just being parroted because someone said it a couple of days ago. Not saying he's ready to blanket anyone, but the idea that he's some bumbling idiot out there is pretty laughable in and of itself. Guy's been a very good player his whole career...Meanwhile Jet fans rant and rave about missing out on some guy who put 4 healthy seasons between his productive years, coincidentally the second one coming in a contract year.

I keep hearing about this fabled safety....BESIDES Eric Berry, who hasn't even finished a season yet (IIRC)...what safety in the league has that ability? Hell, I can't even say for sure that Berry is blanketing anyone out there.

Not to mention I feel like this "Landry can't cover" thing is just being parroted because someone said it a couple of days ago. Not saying he's ready to blanket anyone, but the idea that he's some bumbling idiot out there is pretty laughable in and of itself. Guy's been a very good player his whole career...Meanwhile Jet fans rant and rave about missing out on some guy who put 4 healthy seasons between his productive years, coincidentally the second one coming in a contract year.

Exactly. Besides the other LSU fan on here, whom I can't think of, I don't think there's a single player who's watched Landry play football more than myself, unless there's some closeted redskins fan parading around here. This idea that he can't cover is absolute nonsense and just perpetuated by people who take forum-speak for gospel. He is one of the most athletic dbacks to come out of LSU in the last decade, which is absolutely saying something, considering the talent they've produced recently. If anyone has seen games with him not strictly in coverage, it's because that hasn't been his primary responsibility, not due to lack of athleticism or talent.

His skill level is twofold better than Nelson and if it weren't for his achilles injury, he'd be one of the hottest tickets on the FA market. I'm not super high on Otogwe or Nelson (prior to his signing), but if we're able to pair either of those with Landry and he plays a full to semi-full season, our defense is going to take a giant leap from last year, guaranteed.

Does anyone think there's any chance at all that Woody cut up Tannenbaum's credit card and is making him sleep in the bed he's made? Maybe he's had enough of throwing good money after bad in free agency in order to mask Tannenbaum's inability to build through the draft? Maybe?

Does anyone think there's any chance at all that Woody cut up Tannenbaum's credit card and is making him sleep in the bed he's made? Maybe he's had enough of throwing good money after bad in free agency in order to mask Tannenbaum's inability to build through the draft? Maybe?

I have figured out the problem. Free agency hits smack dab in the middle of tax season and the accountant is very busy trying to do taxes for everybody and isn't able to fully do his job. Lots of new tax laws to understand and don't even get him started on gay marriage and what that means for tax season!

That must be it.

I have figured out the problem. Free agency hits smack dab in the middle of tax season and the accountant is very busy trying to do taxes for everybody and isn't able to fully do his job. Lots of new tax laws to understand and don't even get him started on gay marriage and what that means for tax season!

That must be it.

lol! H&R Tannenbaum.

I want to hug you. You've been on point lately. <3

The team is already very good. Nobody outside of signing Peyton Manning was going to make this team great. Factor in who the Jets could afford and I'm not quite sure what fans were expecting. From my estimate, they are playing the field the right way. Not overpaying for mediocrity, not breaking the bank for the best available FA, looking into what are supposedly the bargain players and signing up some solid players who are good in the locker room on their own team.

I have no problem with that. And I have no problem with taking that approach all the way to the draft, if not after it. Finally, the Jets have a full array of draft picks, I suspect they'll use them all this season since there really isnt any players that stand out as must have trade up for types - so I'm fine with this. I suspect some low ends potential starter type signings to still happen and for talent to be added through the draft. Thats not a bad approach.

The team is already very good. Nobody outside of signing Peyton Manning was going to make this team great. Factor in who the Jets could afford and I'm not quite sure what fans were expecting. From my estimate, they are playing the field the right way. Not overpaying for mediocrity, not breaking the bank for the best available FA, looking into what are supposedly the bargain players and signing up some solid players who are good in the locker room on their own team.

I have no problem with that. And I have no problem with taking that approach all the way to the draft, if not after it. Finally, the Jets have a full array of draft picks, I suspect they'll use them all this season since there really isnt any players that stand out as must have trade up for types - so I'm fine with this. I suspect some low ends potential starter type signings to still happen and for talent to be added through the draft. Thats not a bad approach.

Other than Revis, I dont really consider anyone on the roster very good. Maybe Pouha.

That's not to say I disagree with not overpaying Reggie Nelson....we've just had too many awful drafts and its finally caught up. The roster right now is below average.

Other than Revis, I dont really consider anyone on the roster very good. Maybe Pouha.

That's not to say I disagree with not overpaying Reggie Nelson....we've just had too many awful drafts and its finally caught up. The roster right now is below average.

It's definitely better than the sum of its parts, but there's good talent at the core (Mangold, Brick, Moore, maybe Wilkerson, etc). You're right, though, about the attrition. Tannenbaum lives and dies with trading up and plugging in FA's. When those FAs get old and the players you traded up for aren't home runs, your roster goes to hell two years later. Of course, if Sanchez and Gholston were any good, we might have a few Super Bowl titles from this regime, but they obviously haven't worked out.

It's definitely better than the sum of its parts, but there's good talent at the core (Mangold, Brick, Moore, maybe Wilkerson, etc). You're right, though, about the attrition. Tannenbaum lives and dies with trading up and plugging in FA's. When those FAs get old and the players you traded up for aren't home runs, your roster goes to hell two years later. Of course, if Sanchez and Gholston were any good, we might have a few Super Bowl titles from this regime, but they obviously haven't worked out.

Forgot Mangold.

If this team is "very good", what is the best case scenario for the next 2 years? Factoring in the QB and even giving him credit for improvement along with aging players like BT, Pace, Scott, and currently no starting caliber safeties on the roster?

Forgot Mangold.

Ok, good, I was about to lose it on you there. Anyway, 'very good', what the heck does that mean, really? Doesn't have any meaning unless you give it some parameters. We have two players who are arguably the best at their respective positions (Revis and Mangold), is that what 'very good' means?

Ok, good, I was about to lose it on you there. Anyway, 'very good', what the heck does that mean, really? Doesn't have any meaning unless you give it some parameters. We have two players who are arguably the best at their respective positions (Revis and Mangold), is that what 'very good' means?

It means our roster stinks.

Honestly, I've gotten to the point until the Jets find themselves their franchise QB, I could give less of a **** about the rest of this nonsense. If Sanchez continues to suck a$$, nothing the Jets did over these couple of months was going to get them any further than they've already gotten. When the Jets gave Sanchez his extension, he was already locked in as the starter for this year, so at this point it's a matter of just filling up the roster and sitting back to see Sanchez if can finally get his sh*t together this year. If not, come next offseason the Jets need to start scouting themselves a top QB from next year's draft. Sure, in the meantime you want to try to keep up a competitive team, but after all these years I would think Jets fans should know as much as anyone, blowing big money on "win now" type FAs isn't going to do sh*t if you don't have a QB, so they're better off sticking to the draft and signing other young, cheap players. I want new safeties on this team more than anyone considering my endless hatred for Eric Smith, but as long as our QB play is what it is, the Reggie Nelson's of the world are not going to make a damn bit of difference. None of this is meant to excuse Tanny's incompetence mind you, but I don't completely blame him for not blowing big money anymore on players who aren't really going to get you anywhere. That said, if he can't find that QB in question, than the Jets need someone who can.

It means our roster stinks.

No, you have to explain what a 'very good' player means to you. I believe we've had this discussion before. Either way, it doesn't mean anything when you say we only have two 'very good' players in Revis and Mangold, since both of those guys are tops at their position. Given that there's only 22 starting positions (excluding ST), 2/22 is pretty nice in a 32 team league. You can definitely find teams with 'very good' players at more important positions like QB, but I doubt you could find a team with more than 2 guys who are the best at their respective positions.

Summary - the overwhelming majority of ANY team is made up of guys that aren't on the elite level that Revis and Mangold are on, and that's where the difference lies between good teams and medicore ones.

No, its really not. Only Jets fan think this way. Any fan I talk to thinks we're SB ready except QB. The core is very good. The team is very good. If it werent for horrible QB play, they would have easily been a 10 win team, again. Below average talent doesnt win 10 games nor do they typically end a season .500.

A good draft with some impact players and some fillers here and there, the team will improve.

If this team is "very good", what is the best case scenario for the next 2 years? Factoring in the QB and even giving him credit for improvement along with aging players like BT, Pace, Scott, and currently no starting caliber safeties on the roster?

We havent had starting caliber safeties on the team for 3 years and have graded out top 5 in DVOA. Its a concern, but clearly not as big as most of us think.

Best case scenario? SB. Obviously. Otherwise, I think this team will to continue to remain a playoff contender who can get hot at the right time and make a run in the playoffs like they did in 09-10 and should have this season considering the chumps that got into the playoffs. I'm sorry, this team isnt that much worse than those teams. Not at all.

Archived