Jets bringing in Donnie Avery for a look

GREENBEAN

Maybe this is our plan B. Adress some other needs and free up the room to go S and OLB in the draft.

Who knows at this point?

Adam Caplan@caplannfl

The #Jets are bringing in speedy WR Donnie Avery (Rams, Titans) in for a visit, a source confirmed. #freeagency

Retweeted by Manish Mehta

I feel like I've stumbled upon a yankees' forum with all the complaining I've seen on here about not signing the top free agent at every position. How many times do we have to be reminded that just because a move does or doesn't look good on paper, it has almost zero baring come the regular season.

I always like Avery, was a decent porospect, I think he was the first receiver drafted the year he came out in the second round. Was a playmaker before he hurt his knee. I would prefer Turner or Schilens to start across from Holmes but he could bring depth and playmaking ability.

I feel like I've stumbled upon a yankees' forum with all the complaining I've seen on here about not signing the top free agent at every position. How many times do we have to be reminded that just because a move does or doesn't look good on paper, it has almost zero baring come the regular season.

Really there's nothing the Jets can do to make me happy after extending Sanchez. Not a damn thing.

Really there's nothing the Jets can do to make me happy after extending Sanchez. Not a damn thing.

This pretty much covers it, AND I understand how extending him freed up cap room etc, etc.

I don't care.

They could have extended him without giving him a raise. Extension with more guaranteed money up front, but same money. No pay bump. Structure it in a way where if we cut him next year, its a soft hit on the cap. Its inevitable. All I can hope for at this point is for Drew Stanton to be the new Chris Chandler, for the light bulb to go on at 30 years old.

Jerry Reese H5Z you.

They could have extended him without giving him a raise.

why would Sanchez make that deal?

as for Avery, similar to Schiliens. Great player who has been a little snake bit by injury. If healthy he's very fast and can help in the return game. Remember they had Jim Leonard as punt returner that's problematic.

as for Avery, similar to Schiliens. Great player who has been a little snake bit by injury. If healthy he's very fast and can help in the return game. Remember they had Jim Leonard as punt returner that's problematic.

No, it was everyone else that was problematic. Jim was the best one we had, sadly.

it's never ideal to have a starting 11 defender returning punts.

Not unless he's Deon Sanders ;-).

I'm not saying its ideal...but he was sure handed and some very good returns for us. Sure beat throwing McKnight, Cro and Kerley back there (though Kerley got better as the season progressed).

Not unless he's Deon Sanders ;-).

I'm not saying its ideal...but he was sure handed and some very good returns for us. Sure beat throwing McKnight, Cro and Kerley back there (though Kerley got better as the season progressed).

Kerley was fine, and I think it's his job from here on out, he just kind of got screwed over because so many other players were muffing punts left and right before him, as soon as he messed up on one punt he was the one who they took it out on. But then Leonhard got hurt right after that and Kerley took over the job for the rest of the season and never had another problem. At this point I really think a returner is the least of the Jets concerns right now.

Leonhard is/was a good punt returner. He NEVER put the ball on the ground, and was consistently top half of the league or better in YPR.

people complain about team speed, and lack of a deep threat... if Avery is healthy, the Jets become faster.

It's incredible. All year long we hear "this team lacks speed" "this team has no homerun hitters" "this team can get zero separation, it's too damned slow" etc. etc. And now we start bringing in low risk/high reward pure speed guys and everyone is complaining, because they aren't top-end guys. Well, newsflash, those top end homerun hitters don't hit the market too often and when they do, you pay out the a$$ for them. Which, if we did, our fans would only complain about, because we have to overpay for the same players other "well run franchises" let go, instead of drafting or finding our own. Well damn, it seems we're trying to find our own, instead of overpaying, and it seems as though everyone has sand in their vagina over it. Jets' fans are more and more reminding me of the red sox fans i dealt with in boston while in college, they'd rather be miserable than happy and will look for anything that allows them to wallow in self-pity.

Well put BroadwayJoe, I like what the Jets are doing this off-season. They started this last season picking up Eron Riley and the Jackson kid from App. state. Lot of young speed at WR. if 1 or 2 out of Riley, Schilens, Jackson and possibly Avery step up we are in good shape. We are not dead at WR. I see Holmes and Turner starting with Kerley in slot, if we don't draft Floyd. Who out there on the market is better then Turner and affordable?

The Jets are obviously playing by the "two lesbians in a bar" rules...

Two ranked 4's.....equals an 8.

But when its all over, it kinda sucked.

Let's hope we have better luck.

Or maybe they are thinking like the 30 yo single women in the bar who just want to get married, I can turn that 4 into an 8. But like the lesbians they get disappointed, and usually end in divorce. But there us always that diamond in the rough, hopefully Schilens can stay healthy and become that diamond.

Really? This guy is roster fodder. Why not Early Doucet? He cant be looking for too much money and clearly nobody is knocking down his door.

Starting to think we wont be signing anyone till after the draft.

Every year there is a huge camp casualty surprise, IE McKinne OT from Minny last season, he sured up the Ravens OL last season, Tanny might be keeping a little mad money aside for a situation like this to arise this season.

It's incredible. All year long we hear "this team lacks speed" "this team has no homerun hitters" "this team can get zero separation, it's too damned slow" etc. etc. And now we start bringing in low risk/high reward pure speed guys and everyone is complaining, because they aren't top-end guys. Well, newsflash, those top end homerun hitters don't hit the market too often and when they do, you pay out the a$$ for them. Which, if we did, our fans would only complain about, because we have to overpay for the same players other "well run franchises" let go, instead of drafting or finding our own. Well damn, it seems we're trying to find our own, instead of overpaying, and it seems as though everyone has sand in their vagina over it. Jets' fans are more and more reminding me of the red sox fans i dealt with in boston while in college, they'd rather be miserable than happy and will look for anything that allows them to wallow in self-pity.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with bringing in 2 guys like Avery, and Schillens, and then even drafting a speed guy in the draft, this creates good camp competition, with that comes the mentality I got beat out this guy or I'm on the street, this will bring out the best in some guys, and squash others (guys you don't want), nothing but positive things can come from this sort of approach as long as none of them were paid big money.

Or maybe they are thinking like the 30 yo single women in the bar who just want to get married, I can turn that 4 into an 8. But like the lesbians they get disappointed, and usually end in divorce. But there us always that diamond in the rough, hopefully Schilens can stay healthy and become that diamond.

I sure do hope so...Let's GO JETS!

Archived