Schein: Rex Doesn’t Want Hard Knocks

SayNoToDMC

Post image for Schein: Rex Doesn’t Want Hard Knocks

The Hard Knocks rumor mill has been churning lately, especially after Woody Johnson’s comments earlier this month.  Woody said that informal talks about appearing on the show again had taken place.  Now Adam Schein tells us on FoxSports.com that Rex Ryan is against the move.

HBO wants the Jets to be featured once again on ‘Hard Knocks’ but they have run into an unexpected obstacle: Rex Ryan.

League sources tell FOXSports.com that owner Woody Johnson wants his team back on the HBO hit show and has communicated that to the network. But his outspoken coach is against the project.

Ryan, according to sources, does not want any more of a circus type atmosphere around the Jets after last season’s bickering and collapse and this offseason’s trade for Tim Tebow.

As a fan it is hard to not love the idea of the Jets appearing on Hard Knocks again.  You get a detailed look inside the Jets locker room and it is highly entertaining.  What is more important to note, is that Rex Ryan should get his way.  Woody Johnson consistently states that Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan make all the football decisions.  This is a football decision, not a business decision.  If Rex feels that Hard Knocks is a distraction, the Jets need to respect that.

That is, of course, if the goal is to win a Championship.  If the goal is selling jerseys and PSLs, then Woody you are doing a great job.

di
di

6ikqIIF0ODw

View the full article

That idea in and of its self is terrifying. He's probably just talking crazy cause his bloodsugar is low and he needs a ******* snack but

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/11/report-woody-rex-at-odds-over-hard-knocks/

Report: Woody, Rex at odds over Hard Knocks

Gang Gripe keeps finding new sources of potential conflict. The latest comes from the ongoing application of the time-honored concept, “If you can’t beat ‘em, wave your arms and yell really loud instead.”

According to Adam Schein of FOXSports.com, Jets owner Woody Johnson and coach Rex Ryan disagree on whether the team should open its doors to the Hard Knocks series in 2012. Amazingly, Rex is the one pushing for discretion.

Per Schein, Johnson has told HBO that he wants the Jets to do the show. (Schein also reports that the Jaguars have volunteered for the assignment.) Johnson hopes to dominate the local headlines in August, taking attention away from the Giants and baseball. Rex, however, wants to get away from the circus atmosphere, an ironic sentiment given that he’s been the primary barker every since taking the job.

Hopefully Johnson can at a minimum get NFL Films to capture the in-house debates regarding whether to do the show.

Rex is maturing as a Head Coach. Look out league!!!

Indeed.

Rex is a loudmouth but even his critics would admit he is no fool. He knows his honeymoon period is over and a mediocre season next year might put his job on the line. So he does not want any distractions.

Woody on the other hand is trying his best to do a Streinbrenner impression!

Indeed.

woody is a putz

Indeed.

It isn't better for the team to be doing this, this season especially; however, I can't say that I wouldn't be excited for it as a fan every week. Watching the team on Hard Knocks every week leading up to the season got me extremely excited about the upcoming season last time. Maybe it would be good for the team to force-bond so to speak early on, for fear that they will be spreading the wrong message to the world about the "locker room issues" with the team.

Give me Hard Knocks!!!

I LOVED watching it too. It was awesome as a fan to see. But there is a big part of me that tends to believe in things like karma, intangibles matter, reading between the lines, team chemistry, etc etc...and I really just think Hard Knocks isn't good for any team when it comes to stuff like that. It's sorta like the ghosts I don't believe in until I hear loud chatter and snickering from behind the attic door in the middle of the night.

I LOVED watching it too. It was awesome as a fan to see. But there is a big part of me that tends to believe in things like karma, intangibles matter, reading between the lines, team chemistry, etc etc...and I really just think Hard Knocks isn't good for any team when it comes to stuff like that. It's sorta like the ghosts I don't believe in until I hear loud chatter and snickering from behind the attic door in the middle of the night.

I hear what you're saying. I genuinely do. But I don't think this is one of them cases. The only negative is that the rest of the league continues to roll its eyes at us. But guess what? Either way they are going to do that. So **** them. I don't think Hard Knocks is going to affect any of the other things like chemistry, or output. Many have said that they just kind of grow use to the cameras. And its not like the cameras follow them for that long a stretch.

woody was behind farve, tebow, and now hard knocks. there was a very telling part of hard knocks last time

woody and tanny are going over faxes. woody remarks , "wow mike, look at this. johnson and johnson doesn't get this much press"

he is a whore

a lot of criticism tanny gets around here should be layed at woody's feet

woody was behind farve, tebow, and now hard knocks. there was a very telling part of hard knocks last time

woody and tanny are going over faxes. woody remarks , "wow mike, look at this. johnson and johnson doesn't get this much press"

he is a whore

a lot of criticism tanny gets around here should be layed at woody's feet

Tanny is still a bumbling fool

It isn't better for the team to be doing this, this season especially; however, I can't say that I wouldn't be excited for it as a fan every week. Watching the team on Hard Knocks every week leading up to the season got me extremely excited about the upcoming season last time. Maybe it would be good for the team to force-bond so to speak early on, for fear that they will be spreading the wrong message to the world about the "locker room issues" with the team.

This is kind of how I feel as well. And as a fan, hell yes do it. That was seriously my favorite season ever as a Jets fan and that had a huge part to do with it.

HBO cameras don't change the outcome of the product we put on the field. So why not give us something to really enjoy.

Agreed. Whats interesting though is that I remember Rex saying that he thought the show helped them by being more focused, giving it their all in practice and prepared them for the big stage and pressure, they were under a microscope and cameras from day on TC and that prepared them for the scrutiny and such.

Maybe he thinks that this year is different though with the locker room stuff and Tebow that it might bring to much attention to it all. The angles and spins that show could take might have backlash. I dunno.

Hard knocks is a really bad idea this year. The last thing this team needs is more publicity. The media circus is going to be bad enough with Tebow in town and everything he brings. There will be enough distractions without the cameras. Rex is right on this one. Woody is an absolute media whore.

I get the idea that this is good cop/bad cop. I think the whole organization wants this. When Woody said they would do it if asked I think the feedback was alot more negative than he thought since there are plenty of people who think the Jets let the media spotlight guide their football decisions. So the story would then be that the football guys are concentrating on the game and really against the move. There is nothing Rex has done before or after the collapse last season that would ever make me think he would turn down the opportunity to get his team exposure like this.

I get the idea that this is good cop/bad cop. I think the whole organization wants this. When Woody said they would do it if asked I think the feedback was alot more negative than he thought since there are plenty of people who think the Jets let the media spotlight guide their football decisions. So the story would then be that the football guys are concentrating on the game and really against the move. There is nothing Rex has done before or after the collapse last season that would ever make me think he would turn down the opportunity to get his team exposure like this.

That was the old Rex. Hopefully the new Rex stands up to the organization more than he has in the past. Hopefully he fights for what he wants.

HBO cameras don't change the outcome of the product we put on the field. So why not give us something to really enjoy.

Agreed. The Hard Knocks year was actually the best under Rex (11-5, beat Colts/Pats on the road in the playoffs) compared to 8-8 no playoffs and 9-7 (beat Bengals/Chargers on the road in the playoffs). So I doubt Hard Knocks makes a difference one way or another, to be honest.

Elevate the brand and expand the business.

I don't understand how Woody doesn't realize that "elevate the brand and expand the business" can ONLY translate at this point to "win a championship and win a championship".

Woody is confusing "buzz" with "elevating the brand". Generating buzz doesn't elevate your brand, it keeps it in front of people. There is a distinct difference between shoving your product brand in people's faces constantly, and creating a product brand that is a meaningful part of their lives.

The Jets product regularly fails to deliver on their brand promise, which should be "winning". So much so that the true brand promise for the NY Jets is "inevitable heartbreak".

IF Woody's goal is to elevate the brand, his first step should be revitalizing the Jets brand promise. Win. That is the ONLY way to "elevate" this brand from what it has become over the past 40 years.

That was the old Rex. Hopefully the new Rex stands up to the organization more than he has in the past. Hopefully he fights for what he wants.

This.

Old Rex = aww shucks, I'm just happy to have someone give me a shot at being a HC finally, [insert jackass boasts about winning here]

New Rex = okay, I'm a head coach, novelty has worn off - I'm a laughing stock of the league at the moment - my team is a sh*tshow - if I want to keep this gig, and ensure future opportunities like it, its time to win football games not headlines

I like where this is going. A lot.

Archived