Well-run franchises don't trade away draft picks!

stoicsentry

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1059894

The Giants spent last season trying to cover up a weakness at linebacker. They spent Wednesday doing their best to ensure that they wouldn’t have to address the same problem in 2012.

The Giants have agreed to send their fifth-round pick in the upcoming draft to the Bengals in exchange for linebacker Keith Rivers. The teams have not yet announced the trade, but a source said the deal is expected to be completed Thursday. Several Giants were already congratulating their new teammate.

“welcome SIR,” defensive end Justin Tuck tweeted Wednesday afternoon.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you actually implying that the Giants are not a well run organization? I believe they have won 4 Super Bowls 2 in the last five years and been to 5. Oh yeah they won this years as well. I only wish the Jets were that poorly run.

Are you actually implying that the Giants are not a well run organization? I believe they have won 4 Super Bowls 2 in the last five years and been to 5. Oh yeah they won this years as well. I only wish the Jets were that poorly run.

If the Jets draft some pass rushers like the Giants have, I will never question the Jets again!

If the Jets draft some pass rushers like the Giants have, I will never question the Jets again!

Funny thing about that is that the Jets defense is far superior to the Giants defense, despite the fact that the Giants are "loaded" with pass rushers.

The Giants are probably a better team overall, but that's about their offense, not their defense.

Funny thing about that is that the Jets defense is far superior to the Giants defense, despite the fact that the Giants are "loaded" with pass rushers.

The Giants are probably a better team overall, but that's about their offense, not their defense.

A little bit light there man, since they just wrapped up their 2nd SB.

The Giants defense looked bad early in the year. But those pass rushers would look awesome in green. :)

A little bit light there man, since they just wrapped up their 2nd SB.

Well they were 9-7 and just got hot once again. If I've got one shot to win a championship, I think I would still take the 2010-2011 Jets over the 2011-2012 Giants.

The Giants defense looked bad early in the year. But those pass rushers would look awesome in green. :)

Yeah

Well they were 9-7 and just got hot once again. If I've got one shot to win a championship, I think I would still take the 2010-2011 Jets over the 2011-2012 Giants.

Yeah

The Giants should have been 10 - 6. They were screwed out of a TD vs GB that would have won that game in regular season.

Sanchez vs Eli? LOL

If I had to guess I think he is using the sarcasm.

If the Jets had the Giants track record in the draft, they would be able to give away 50% of their picks and be fine.

if the Jets 2011 first round pick was Prince Amukamara (who blew a knee and was basically worthless) there would be rioting in the streets of florham park

eli covers up alot of their draft miscues.

if the Jets 2011 first round pick was Prince Amukamara (who blew a knee and was basically worthless) there would be rioting in the streets of florham park

Franchise QB FTW.

I sit here wondering if Toim Coughlin has ever put a woman's toes in his mouth and how much that impacts the Giants.

Osi, Tuck JPP. If the Jets draft guys like this and then whiff on a DB ( who still may turn out to be a good pick) who gives a sh!t. Its not all Eli as you say. Its a defense with players that step up in the big games. All action, no talk ala Bart Scott.

The great thing about Prince sucking was they had other guys on their roster who could play the position.

The Jets traded stuff to get the 3 best players on their team. Picks for Revis and Harris and Abraham for Mangold.

they also missed on a few as well. Traded a 2nd for Jones(who everyone hated here, dont tell me otherwise), Sanchez obviously(who's the worst QB in the league), Shonn Greene and Dustin Keller(who's ok)

they also missed on a few as well. Traded a 2nd for Jones(who everyone hated here, dont tell me otherwise), Sanchez obviously(who's the worst QB in the league), Shonn Greene and Dustin Keller(who's ok)

DRob was their worst offense imo. I personally think you can't fault them for Sanchez. They needed a franchise QB and it was perfect timing to grab one with the rookie defensive minded head coach. He was the consensus second best prospect on the board. And it's not fair to bury him yet either...imo.

Keller and Greene trade/picks I would consider somewhat successful regardless of the fact neither player is perfect.

DRob was their worst offense imo. I personally think you can't fault them for Sanchez. They needed a franchise QB and it was perfect timing to grab one with the rookie defensive minded head coach. He was the consensus second best prospect on the board. And it's not fair to bury him yet either...imo.

Keller and Greene trade/picks I would consider somewhat successful regardless of the fact neither player is perfect.

Keller is more frustrating than bad. Greene is the guy we hand the ball off to. That's prety much all I can say about him.

So we're trying to say that the Giants trading a 5th rounder for a starting LB makes the Jets brilliant for their decision to make such amazing moves as trading a higher pick than that to have the league's worst QB back up the league's second worse QB? I'm not sure I'm buying that one.

Oh, and I'm sorry, I know the Giants just won themselves a Super Bowl, but that is a decidedly mediocre team. The fact that they even made it into the playoffs to begin with was blind luck, as was that ridiculous championship game. In the end they won it and that's all that matters, so good for them, but that doesn't exactly make them the perfect run NFL team. I'm sorry, but there's a good number of NFL teams I'd much rather see the Jets model themselves after than the Giants. That said, none of that really makes one damn bit of difference until the Jets have a QB worth a damn.

So we're trying to say that the Giants trading a 5th rounder for a starting LB makes the Jets brilliant for their decision to make such amazing moves as trading a higher pick than that to have the league's worst QB back up the league's second worse QB? I'm not sure I'm buying that one.

Oh, and I'm sorry, I know the Giants just won themselves a Super Bowl, but that is a decidedly mediocre team. The fact that they even made it into the playoffs to begin with was blind luck, as was that ridiculous championship game. In the end they won it and that's all that matters, so good for them, but that doesn't exactly make them the perfect run NFL team. I'm sorry, but there's a good number of NFL teams I'd much rather see the Jets model themselves after than the Giants. That said, none of that really makes one damn bit of difference until the Jets have a QB worth a damn.

I don't even know something like that, the entire premise of the thread is very dumb. It would take too long to really explain how dumb it really is but you hit on enough good points I suppose.

They didn't even give up a pick for Jones, they swapped second rounders and got themselves a 3-year starter at RB who had 4,000+ yards and 30+ TDs. Regardless of what some fans opinions of him were, there's still absolutely no basis to judge that as a "miss".

If the Jets had the Giants track record in the draft, they would be able to give away 50% of their picks and be fine.

Giants draft philosophy:

Get Eli Manning.

Draft nothing but pass rushers and wide receivers. As many as possible.

Build the rest of the team modestly.

Giants draft philosophy:

Get Eli Manning.

They did a decent job with their secondary too. Webster, Thomas and Phillips were all good picks. Ross was not. We'll see with Prince.

Giants win 2 of the past 4 Super Bowls. Mediocre franchise. What the hell does that make us?

I said they were a mediocre team, as in this current team they have at the moment. Nice try though. For all the endless felating, the lone difference in the Jets and Giants regular season was their head to head matchup, which is really kind of pathetic. What's worse yet is that's also in spite of the fact that the Jets completely imploded at the end of the year. This is the same team that got swept by the freakin' Redskins (getting their asses kicked both times, the second of which by all rights should have cost them a playoff spot). The Giants have nothing but blind luck to thank for the fact that they weren't at home come January, and nothing to thank but a dipsh*t punt returner and horrid officiating for the fact that they got handed a trip to the Super Bowl. They're still the champs and good for them, but if that's the formula you want to follow for success then apparently you have no interest in putting an end to this wait any time soon.

Keller is more frustrating than bad. Greene is the guy we hand the ball off to. That's prety much all I can say about him.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend or argue over how good we really think the two are. I think the Jets gave up a 4th to move up a few spots for Keller and a 4th and 7th to get Greene (not adding the swapped picks b/c they wash). Complaining about Greene's value in the 3rd is difficult to imagine for me. Even as a back up change of pace back he was a great pick imo. They targeted and got the players they wanted. I'll contend most teams would love either player on their roster.

It's not about every pick being an All Pro selection. Imo, in terms of weighing out the value of both picks considering where they were selected and what was given up and adding both players' production to this point I don't see how it's fair to really complain.

Giants draft philosophy:

Get Eli Manning.

If you swapped QBs, the Giants are a 4-win team and the Jets are at 12+ wins (and I'm not the biggest Eli fan in the world either).

I'm not gonna sit here and defend or argue over how good we really think the two are. I think the Jets gave up a 4th to move up a few spots for Keller and a 4th and 7th to get Greene (not adding the swapped picks b/c they wash). Complaining about Greene's value in the 3rd is difficult to imagine for me. Even as a back up change of pace back he was a great pick imo. They targeted and got the players they wanted. I'll contend most teams would love either player on their roster.

It's not about every pick being an All Pro selection. Imo, in terms of weighing out the value of both picks considering where they were selected and what was given up and adding both players' production to this point I don't see how it's fair to really complain.

Why?

Giants draft philosophy:

Get Eli Manning.

Yeah, in a nutshell, it basically comes down to the Giants ended up hitting big on Eli and so far, the Jets missing big on Sanchez.

They did a decent job with their secondary too. Webster, Thomas and Phillips were all good picks. Ross was not. We'll see with Prince.

Front-7 like what the Giants have been able to sustain would have made Lowery, Drew Coleman, Eric Smith and Lito Sheppard look like a great secondary.

Oh yeah? Well I just read about false equivalences on Wikipedia, and I'm kind of not sure that you're right too.

Archived