Video Analysis: The Safeties Role In The Jets Defense

JetNation

Post image for Video Analysis: The Safeties Role In The Jets Defense

All Jets fans remember the 99 yard touchdown catch made by Giant’s wide receiver Victor Cruz which may have very well sunk the Jets 2011 playoff hopes.  With the safety position being a concern video analysis of the Cruz play helps in understanding specific defensive formations along with the safeties responsibilities and what the Jets will be looking for when addressing this position.

The Giants were in an obvious passing situation so the Jets put in their dime defensive personnel (2 safeties, 4 cornerbacks). The Giants came out in a 3-by-1 look which means 3 receivers to one side 1 receiver to the other.

The Jets showed, cover 1 man-free, which is a defensive formation Rex Ryan likes to run because it allows for bringing pressure. One safety, Brodney Pool (#22), is in the deep middle of the field and is responsible to cover sideline to sideline not allowing any receiver to get over top of him. The cornerbacks are man to man on the receivers and another player will be responsible for covering the running back.

Looking at either video before the ball is snapped shows the cover 1 alignment, so what are the options and how do the safeties play a role?  Pool is the deep safety but the other safety, Eric Smith (#33), is free to do a variety of things. He could blitz and a linebacker could cover the running back, he could cover the running back allowing the Jets to use the front five to rush the passer, one of the cornerbacks could blitz and Smith would pick up the vacated receiver, he could drop back deep covering half the field while Pool moves to cover the other half or Smith could play zone coverage in the middle of the field underneath Pool while a linebacker covers the running back, better known as cover 1 robber.

Eli Manning (#10) realizes the coverage as soon as he sees the defense and assumes blitz. Notice the running back Ahmad Bradshaw (#44) stays in to pass protect and never going out on a route. Just before the play begins Smith backs out and Pool moves to his right providing over the top support for Darrelle Revis (#24) covering Hakeem Nicks (#88).

The Jets do not send the blitz instead they drop out of cover 1 and into a different coverage, cover 2, two deep safeties responsible for half the field each providing over the top support to the man coverage underneath, known as cover 2 man under. Linebacker Josh Mauga (#53) spies Bradshaw, so now all potential receivers are covered with 2 safeties deep.

Manning originally looks at Nicks but realizes he is now covered high and low, if you watch Revis he forces Nicks to the outside and trails him underneath knowing he has Pool to help up the field. Donald Strickland (#30) presses tight end Travis Beckum (#47) pushing him outside where he now has help from Smith.  Once Manning realizes the defense is now cover 2 man under he looks towards the three receiver side where he hits Victor Cruz (#80), covered by Kyle Wilson (#20), on an out-route after Ramses Barden (#13) cleared Antonio Cromartie (#31).  While both Wilson and Cromartie miss-tackle Cruz it was up to Smith to save the touchdown but he moved to far towards the middle of the field putting him out of position to make the stop.

The Patriots often run the same 3-by-1 formation as the Giants but with 2 wide receivers and 2 tight ends (Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez).  Since the personnel has two tight ends it is not always possible to play a pass based dime defense since the run is more probably.  The Jets would more likely have their nickel package on the field meaning one less cornerback. 

If the Patriots come out in a 3-by-1 formation the corners will cover the wide receivers and Gronkowski would be the single receiver in the Nicks location, so a corner will cover him. If Hernandez is where Beckum lined up a safety or linebacker would have to cover him man to man if the defense were cover 1 man free.  Eric Smith on Aaron Hernandez is a mismatch that Tom Brady would exploit all game long so a better man coverage safety would have to take Hernandez forcing Smith to play deep zone.

So what does all this mean and what will the the Jets be looking for in a safety?  They will want the ‘tweener type’ safety, a player that can cover man-to-man and has ball skills like a cornerback.  He’ll have to be a good tackler with excellent range while in zone coverage not only to breakup/intercept passes but to chase down receivers after the catch.  Versatile players that are interchangeable and can succeed in the various situational roles safeties have, whether in coverage, supporting the run or going after the quarterback.

Hopefully the Jets can find safeties which fit their defensive strategies and avoid season changing big pass plays like the one Cruz made against the Jets.

di
di

XQflKQxs6G8

View the full article

Translation Smith sucks. I remember watching that play thinking "I hope we can pressure a Saftey" and when both corners whiffed what should have been a 10 yard completion, the tv almost got trashed. The Giants used to mean nothing to me, but after last season and the way they keep bad mouthing the Jets even when the season was over, I will be looking forward to seeing them with a Big Target on their backs.

Any way sorry flash back from last season, excellent analysis, I think where already better at Safety, we just need to get someone to generate some heat.

The blind hatred for Smith is getting a bit silly. The second video shows him in coverage, then breaking off his coverage to pursue Cruz after:

1. Wilson blows his coverage and falls on his face

2. Cromartie flails wildly at Cruz's shoelaces, and falls on his face.

It seems that any failure in our defense is automatically attributed to Smith without deliberation. Like the Tebow drive in last year's Denver game. Every player on defense missed tackles on that drive, in fact, Leonhard blew a drive ending tackle on the Denver 1 yd. line, then proceeded to blow two more on that drive. Tebow breaks a Smith tackle at the end of the game, Smith gets credit for the loss.

Back on topic: the analysis in this piece is very good. Nice breakdown of the defense and individual responsibilities. Good read.

Dre Kirkpatrick. Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap...

You spelled Mark Barron, an actual safety, wrong.

Btw this should be called "the role of safety in the Jets defense as played by JAGs."

Btw: I too dont get the ridiculous animosity for Eric Smith. There's way worse out there and he's an excellent role player when he's not asked to do more than he can do.

From your keyboard to the Jets draft card please!!!!!!

Kirkpatrick, is the best hybrid CB/S in this draft, he excels at zone coverage, and reads QB's great so he can play CF, he also has legit man to man skills to cover any TE, and most WR's, and has the physicality to transition to the S position. Jets just gotta make sure he would be on board with such a move.

Eric Smith: More competent than a bunch of jags. Yup, definitely underrated by Jet fans.

Sadly, the way he's talked about that is underrating. Between him and Sanchez I don't know who's more responsible for all the world's problems...Well, yes I do...It's Sanchez.

Translation Smith sucks.

reading the article apparently Brodney Pool had deep cover responsibility. if Smith sucks, Pool sucks worse.

Further, we can't excuse the tackling attempt by Kyle Wilson and Cro. Both players whiffed, BIG TIME. We can say Cruz is a playmaker and all that but seriously, check out the effort by these two. Falling to the turf is not tackling.

this play really did define the Jets season. The Giants got hot and won the Super Bowl. if the Jets win who know what happens in the playoffs?

the fact no one talks about was Smith had a torn meniscus all year. The fact that he was playing on it was heroic. The Jets had already lost Leonard by this point in the year and couldn't shut down Smith as well. These are the decisions teams have to make, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

if either Cro or Kyle makes the tackle, we aren't talking about Smith.

Always a weird trend on this board. No matter how awful a Jets coach/GM/player clearly and indisputably is, a contingent always rises up to decry the criticism of that coach/GM/player. There have been Herm apologists, Bradway apologists, Gholston apologists, DRob apologists, Wayne Hunter apologists, etc, etc. Now we're finding a group doing an Eric Smith apologia? Strange use of one's time if you ask me.

It really isn't, he's that bad in coverage. PFF had him ranked somewhere in the 60's this past year. The best was where he saw only 1 play against Buffalo because Rex himself couldn't take it anymore.

Fair enough but I think as safeties go he's a good third one. Jets need Landry to stay healthy and then another guy to jump in front of Smith.

Always a weird trend on this board. No matter how awful a Jets coach/GM/player clearly and indisputably is, a contingent always rises up to decry the criticism of that coach/GM/player. There have been Herm apologists, Bradway apologists, Gholston apologists, DRob apologists, Wayne Hunter apologists, etc, etc. Now we're finding a group doing an Eric Smith apologia? Strange use of one's time if you ask me.

No one fetishizes mediocrity like Jets fans.

No no, you see, the issue isn't whether or not Smith is good--he isn't--the problem is the focused and concentrated hatred of Smith. It causes an effect which alleviates hatred from other individuals who deserve and equal or greater portion of the hatred pie. For instance we say: Smith lost the Giants game! He sucks to high heaven! But Smith is actually halfway decent in the game, and Kyle Wilson is the true failure. As he has been. And will continue to be. As a first round pick, no less. Give me a choice of who is a more valuable player, a late round safety who leads the team in tackles or a first round bust who is supposedly getting better and is just about to turn the corner ala Vernon Gholston. Spread the disgust. That's all I'm asking for. Also: that video should end all discussion about converting Cro to Safety. Awful.

It seems that any failure in our defense is automatically attributed to Smith without deliberation. Like the Tebow drive in last year's Denver game. Every player on defense missed tackles on that drive, in fact, Leonhard blew a drive ending tackle on the Denver 1 yd. line, then proceeded to blow two more on that drive. Tebow breaks a Smith tackle at the end of the game, Smith gets credit for the loss.

The same vagina is involved with both play-off busting/game losing plays - Cromartie. Smith is certainly in the opposing teams highlight reels for his contributions - but first that overpaid slit drops to his knees (how Rhodesesque) positioning himself to whiff on Cruz - then against the Broncs he pretends like he doesn't see Tebow past the LOS after breaking away from Smith and continues to play patty cake in the endzone allowing Tebow in with the game winner. He should have to wear a DVD with both those game files burned in it around his neck attached by a nice girly necklace.

There were Herm apologists on this board? Seriously? Unreal.

That Hard Knocks snack would have been much better if it was eaten pool side after a BBQ. Think of how much better the chemistry would be.

Herm was misunderstood. He had a 20 year plan, they just didn't give him enough time.

Actually though, being serious for a second, I watched Herm on TV the other day and I am sorry. Sorry for ever suggesting that he wasn't anything other than terrible.

Just so I'm clear: they want a safety who can play man to man with receivers and tight ends, be rangy and show good instincts in zone coverage to play sideline to sideline, excel at tackling and be versatile. Good thing they have their expectations so low..

That was my first thought reading this too. It seems ridiculous, but it may be true. The D has done fine lining up JAGs at S for years. It may not be worth trying to upgrade unless they can get a "complete" player. I tend to think that a converted CB would be good in a rotation with a Smith/Landry type, but they sure let Lowery go easily.

reading the article apparently Brodney Pool had deep cover responsibility. if Smith sucks, Pool sucks worse.

Further, we can't excuse the tackling attempt by Kyle Wilson and Cro. Both players whiffed, BIG TIME. We can say Cruz is a playmaker and all that but seriously, check out the effort by these two. Falling to the turf is not tackling.

this play really did define the Jets season. The Giants got hot and won the Super Bowl. if the Jets win who know what happens in the playoffs?

the fact no one talks about was Smith had a torn meniscus all year. The fact that he was playing on it was heroic. The Jets had already lost Leonard by this point in the year and couldn't shut down Smith as well. These are the decisions teams have to make, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

if either Cro or Kyle makes the tackle, we aren't talking about Smith.

If you read the piece you should have seen that they switched to a cover 2. The bottom vid clearly shoes Pool bailing while Smith drops. Smith bit hard of Beckum (the piece says Beckum was forced outside, but I think he lined up to the Giants right/Jets left and went inside) Smith got sucked way too far inside and couldn't get out to Cruz.

I think what the play demonstrates is the Jets problem is a lack of team speed on D. The LBs and Ss are slooow. Smith looks like a slug chasing Cruz and seeing Strickland, not exactly a rocketship at CB, blowing by Pool is disheartening.

I didn't hear about the meniscus at all. Did he get it done? That's usually a pretty quick one. One thing this play should do is disabuse anybody of the notion that Cromartie could play saftey. Every year it gets brought up on the boards and every year I think of how horrendous that would turn out. Having a S that avoids contact is a recipe for disaster.

It's because of the whole Jet fan/board mentality where our players and coaches are always the best or the worst. Smith is no great safety, but people here are acting like he is the worst player ever to strap on a set of pads. The Jets have had a top 10 D with him starting for the past 3 years. Does that mean he is good? Hell no, but he is worth a roster spot and probably even a worthy rotation player - but not a high level starter.

The blind hatred for Smith is getting a bit silly. The second video shows him in coverage, then breaking off his coverage to pursue Cruz after:

Back on topic: the analysis in this piece is very good. Nice breakdown of the defense and individual responsibilities. Good read.

The difference is most of these other players actually have other plays where they do something positive for the defense. Smith sucks at all times, it's just a matter of how badly he's sucking on a given play. Nobody is going to argue that Wilson and Cro didn't sh*t the bed on that Cruz TD, and both have been trashed endlessly since that game for it, but Smith had the opportunity to make the save from the big-gaming changing play, the exact thing that is the #1 priority of his job, and failed miserably at it, as usual. Cro and Wilson both had pretty good seasons outside of that play, the same cannot be said for Smith.

As far as the Bronco's game, of course there were other people who screwed up, that's always going to be the case, because obviously they had to get into that position to begin with. That doesn't change the fact that on the play in which the score took place, Smith was without question the #1 person to blame for it happening, because he was completely incapable of doing his assignment, which is really one of the simplest jobs he could have been asked to do, to keep contain. He literally could have not done a more horrible job at it.

The guy is awful, he's always been awful from back when he was a backup and when this dipsh*t team actually made him a starter, it meant that the frequency of his awfulness was only going to increase. Since that happened a lot more people have come to the realization that he sucks and as usual, when the majority of people say he sucks there's always bound to be some people to come to his defense, but the truth is in this case, he really does just suck that badly, and a number of us have been saying so for many years before it became the popular opinion.

You spelled Mark Barron, an actual safety, wrong.

Btw this should be called "the role of safety in the Jets defense as played by JAGs."

Btw: I too dont get the ridiculous animosity for Eric Smith. There's way worse out there and he's an excellent role player when he's not asked to do more than he can do.

He's good on special teams and that is literally the beginning and end of it. He's absolutely god awful on defense. He can't cover for crap, his tackling technique is horrendous, and he's incapable of completing such a simple task as staying in containment. All of that is ignoring the fact that he falls flat on his face, completely untouched, more than any player I have ever seen play in the NFL.

in general Jets fans are obsessed with the preventing of other teams to score points

let's get a new safety so that the other team doesn't score points

let's get a new pass rusher so that the other team doesn't score points

this is the NFL in 2012, points are gonna be scored. there's a billion dollar industry based on fantasy football, you can't have that product if teams are pitching shut outs left and right. every off season they change the rules to make points happen. More and more points every single year.

in other words the Jets need to score more points. when the Giants score 99 yard TD the Jets should score their own TD in response. that's a championship formula we scapegoat Eric Smith cause we don't have the intestinal fortitude to talk about the offense.

For me, '1st down' is like moneyball's onbase percentage.

If we get more of those, maybe Cro and Wilson have the gas in their tanks to make that tackle.

Maybe they never have to make the tackle, because our prior punt is now a score and this Giants offensive series never happens.

The trouble with our team can be measured by the wear on our punter's shoe, and the soft line that kept putting him on the field.

in general Jets fans are obsessed with the preventing of other teams to score points

this is the NFL in 2012, points are gonna be scored. there's a billion dollar industry based on fantasy football, you can't have that product if teams are pitching shut outs left and right. every off season they change the rules to make points happen. More and more points every single year.

in other words the Jets need to score more points. when the Giants score 99 yard TD the Jets should score their own TD in response. that's a championship formula we scapegoat Eric Smith cause we don't have the intestinal fortitude to talk about the offense.

Where the hell have you been? There's been endless amount of talk about this dog crap offense and what a major problem it is by absolutely everyone, and how it is this team's biggest problem. But that doesn't magically change the fact that Eric Smith sucks a$$ at his job, and despite the horrendous offense, is still at least in the conversation of the Jets' worst starter. The Jets clearly aren't doing anything about their god awful QB situation any time soon, so in the meantime it would probably be a good idea to try to upgrade some of the other horrendously awful players currently filling the Jets starting lineup. That's only compounded when you consider how significantly easier it is to find a competent starter at safety than QB.

I didn't hear about the meniscus at all. Did he get it done? That's usually a pretty quick one.

he did. the fact that Eric Smith was playing with a blown out knee was probably the most under-reported piece of major news this offseason. Slauson's shoulder surgery got more press than Smith's knee surgery.

Bottom line Smith (when healthy) is good enough to play safety and he's good enough to make that tackle. When his knee is shredded wheat yes he looks slow. He's actually a decent athlete. Should the Jets have started Tracy Wilson instead, that's another conversation... but the guy has wheels enough when his knee isn't torn up.

and for the record the Jets worst starter is Wayne Hunter. Ya know the guy they guarunteed his 2012 salary?

Defense = our clear but aging strength

Offense = lots of youth, especially at QB, the position that could single handedly change the offensive outlook.

Make sure the defense can hold up because our game right now is based around keeping it a low scoring affair. Jets will always have a shot so long as they can keep the opponent point total low.

he did. the fact that Eric Smith was playing with a blown out knee was probably the most under-reported piece of major news this offseason. Slauson's shoulder surgery got more press than Smith's knee surgery.

Bottom line Smith (when healthy) is good enough to play safety and he's good enough to make that tackle. When his knee is shredded wheat yes he looks slow. He's actually a decent athlete. Should the Jets have started Tracy Wilson instead, that's another conversation... but the guy has wheels enough when his knee isn't torn up.

and for the record the Jets worst starter is Wayne Hunter. Ya know the guy they guarunteed his 2012 salary?

Cool, but "shredded wheat"? "Blown out"? C'mon. Plenty of guys play with a damaged meniscus. I'm assuming that his knee wasn't destroyed in 2009 and 2010 and he looked plenty slow then and he has poor ball instincts. I think he is an adequate player, but he is certainly somebody to upgrade. Having him in there on sure passing downs is like using Maybin on 4th and goal from the 1.

Actually, last year was his first as a starter. The year before Pool started over him (although Smith did start late in the season once Leonhard went down), and the year before Rhodes was still here..

Yeah. I tried to slip that one through. After I posted it I realized I wrote "starting" instead of playing. Smith had plenty of playing time during the past three years and probably had some starts, but I think he was best used as a 3rd safety and I'd prefer it be with a rotational ball hawk type that might not be quite so stout I figured Lowery would be a good match, but Rex must have disagreed.

Eric Smith stepped up when J.L. went down twice. Nobody would would say he's a good cover safety or a playmaker, he's really a backup strong saftey who likes to hit people and is good against the run, and has heart. The problem right is they don't have anybody at safety or on the field that can cover the likes of Gronkowski and Hernandes---and if you Tom Brady is comfortable in the pocket he will pick apart any defense. It amazed me that a team that sucked butt as bad as the Patriots did last year made it to the SB and the Jets didn't make the playoffs. Could that be because of the CBA and holdout b.s.? Hopefully we'll find out this year but the Jets were still screwed last year because they has so many free agents, and suckbutt teams like the Eagles benefited tremendously.

Archived