Glazer says Tebow will be “football Ritalin” for Sanchez

Jetscode1

Agree with this...must be reading our board again...

As I look back on the week that was and look for things I forgot to write about, I realized that I forgot to share an intriguing observation from Jay Glazer of FOX Sports during Wednesday’s PFT Live.

Among a variety of topics, Glazer addressed the potential impact of quarterback Tim Tebow on quarterback Mark Sanchez. In Glazer’s view, Sanchez too easily loses focus. He gets focused at certain key moments, like in the playoffs or when he legitimately fears getting the hook.

After losing first-team reps once or twice to Mark Brunell — and after having coach Rex Ryan admit that the threat to bench Sanchez was a ruse aimed at lighting a fire under him — the Jets needed to do something a bit more aggressive in order to get Sanchez’s attention on a more consistent basis.

Enter Tebow, whom Glazer described as “football Ritalin” for Sanchez.

That’s the best-case scenario for Sanchez and the Jets. If he finds on a regular basis the sense of urgency that has allowed him to make it to a pair of AFC title games, he’ll perform well enough to keep Tebow in a limited jack-of-all-trade roles — and to save Sanchez’s role as the starter.

Or not, and then the Jets can yank Sanchez one or twice, give Tebow extended reps, and see if that gets Sanchez’s attention.

If it doesn’t, nothing will.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/glazer-says-tebow-will-be-football-ritalin-for-sanchez/

agreed too.. I think Tebow is going to be good for Sanchez... and if he crumbles under the pressure, then good too, he wasn't the guy anyway and Tebow helped clarify that

This. For sure. The truth is, if Mark Sanchez is any type of QB, this shouldnt be an issue at all and that scenario never happens. If it does, then sweet. We move on. Finally.

This has to be the primary motive for the trade, whether anyone has admitted to it or not. Unfortunately for the Jets, Ritalin is quite possibly the most over-prescribed drug in the US, and is being phased out by newer pills. Similarly, using a back up player to fuel the starter is not the NFL of today. In the past, before the free agency era, teams would draft the heir apparent at many positions, allowing younger players time to mature and learn from proven journeymen. Student becomes master. These days, its put up or shut up from the word go. Hard to believe, but Mark's fourth year will be his last chance to prove to the Jets that he has the mustard.

This has to be the primary motive for the trade, whether anyone has admitted to it or not. Unfortunately for the Jets, Ritalin is quite possibly the most over-prescribed drug in the US, and is being phased out by newer pills. Similarly, using a back up player to fuel the starter is not the NFL of today. In the past, before the free agency era, teams would draft the heir apparent at many positions, allowing younger players time to mature and learn from proven journeymen. Student becomes master. These days, its put up or shut up from the word go. Hard to believe, but Mark's fourth year will be his last chance to prove to the Jets that he has the mustard.

Tim Tebow is the perfect guy because behond all the pomp and circumstance the guy is not a very good QB. Yet it will be a big deal if Sanchez beats out the Tebow.

The primary motive is for someone to come in and run the wrinkle they were going to run with either Kerley or Greene. Tebow is the best in the game at running it and they got him for a 4th rounder. Plus, he's proven he can wins games for extended period of time if Sanchez goes down.

If Tebow was brought in for the mental aspect to help Sanchez, god help us all.

I think all this chatter about competition making Mark better is mostly a smoke screen, in use simply to buy Sanchez another year. A good player is going to be a good player, whether or not they have "competition" for their spot. If they need that type of motivation to perform, chances are said player is not a very good player anyway.

Revis didnt become Revis because he was afraid of Drew Coleman or Andre Dyson taking his spot. He just wanted greatness and has the ability to do so. Ya feel me.

So the workaholic Mr, Work Ethic who works harder than anyone can work just has this teeny weeny problem with focus. Why? Did he work so hard that he was too tired at game time? Just more examples of how the Jets FO and coaches lie and lie and lie. I expect a reasonable amount of lying. I do not expect it to be pathological. To me, if it is true that he has a focus problem, he will have it forever. If you cannot focus on an NFL gridiron you stand a good chance of getting yourself killed. But whatever. After he fails here he will land somewhere else. Some other team down the line will think it can get him to re-focus. Reclamation is big in the NFL.

Each player gets motivation from different sources. I think, using Revis as a counterpoint to Sanchez benefitting in some way from Tebow is a bit off. Revis is obviously a special player. Most of the things that Revis does, most others can't. Who the hell knows how Sanchez will respond?

That being said, I think at this point, the Jets front office has shown that they really have no clue what they are doing. Please don't mistake that last comment for me knocking the moves they have made recently. I just think that getting Tebow is pretty indicative that they feel the need to improve their QB play, albeit in a very non-traditional, crap shoot, kind of way. That's just the Jets way... dysfunction at its finest.

I know that I have zero expectations for the Jets this year, and if history is any indicator, we should have a decent year because of that. Every year that I expected something from the Jets, they disappoint. Every year that I feel they will be lucky to win 8 games, they surprise me.

I expect them to do nothing, therefore I won't be surprised to see something. Tebow or not, this team is about as dysfunctional as a Jerry Springer/Maury Povich extravaganza, but I just can't stop watching...

"Losing focus" is relative. You can work hard and still need a push. If Sanchez responds well to increased competition, which Rex Ryan at least seems to believe is the case (as demonstrated by Mark Brunell taking snaps from Sanchez in practice), Tebow should be good for things. Who cares, as long as Sanchez performs?

In the long run, after everything is said and done, taking reps from Sanchez and giving them to Brunell did squadoosh in making Sanchez a better NFL QB. Maybe it made him play a lil better during practice that week or in that game, slightly (relative to the game that convinced Rex he should give Brunell reps). The Jets did not win or lose games because Rex decided to give some reps to Brunell during practice.

The good thing about the Raiders drafting JaMarcus Russell is he sucked so bad they immediately knew to cut their losses of however millions dollars they invested and move on. And the Chargers drafted Ryan Leaf, and now he's turned into some kind drugstore cowboy and is facing numbeous felonies, but now they have a quality qb now. If this football ritalin thing doesn't work or it works for a while then stops, try a different drug, that's always been my m.o. Start with the gateway drugs football pot and then move onto football pcp or football sherm or if this experiment blows up beyond anyone's most dire doomsday prophecies: fill the Gatorade containers with some good ole Football Jonestown Kool-Aid. That's the worst case scenario. I think it comes down to last year was such a disapointment that it came down to a crap shoot, roll the dice: If it works out where Sanchez is effective is this offensive scheme and Tebow works out in the variety of ways they say they're going to use them, it could work, if not maybe the Jets can go winless for a couple seasons get the number one pick and rebuild there's always next year.

Archived