Costella: Jets targeting a WR in round 2.

hoping4ASuperBowl

This

Here are the list of OLB/WR's who have visited. We know the Jets take players from their visits. I'm sorry, the OLB group is 10x more attractive than the WR group. Plus, a couple of those WR's can be had beyond the 2nd round.

3-4 OLBs and other linebackers

Melvin Ingram – OLB – South Carolina

Quinton Coples – DE/OLB – North Carolina

Bruce Irvin – OLB – West Virginia

Demario Davis – OLB – Arkansas State

Ronnell Lewis – OLB – Oklahoma

Vinny Curry – OLB – Marshall

Justin Francis – OLB – Rutgers (local)

Whitney Mercilus – OLB – Illinois

Julian Stanford – OLB – Wagner College (local)

Chandler Jones – OLB – Syracuse (local)

Tahir Whitehead – OLB – Temple (local)

Cameron Collins – LB – Oregon State

Zach Brown – LB – North Carolina

Jake Bequette – OLB – Arkansas

Wideouts

Stephen Hill – WR – Georgia Tech

Joe Adams – WR – Arkansas

Kendall Wright – WR – Baylor

Alshon Jeffery – WR – South Carolina

Michael Floyd – WR – Notre Dame

Rueben Randle – WR – LSU

Chris Givens – WR – Wake Forest

Mohamed Sanu – WR – Rutgers (local)

Jeremy Ebert – WR – Northwestern

Tony Logan – WR – Maryland (local)

Who wants to bet the Jets dont take a WR?

I've had my heart set on an OLB for a while now, but I think it's just safe to say that our FO doesn't value that position like we do or they see it in a different mold. I was for sure Coples was going to be brought in for that role, but I was wrong. When I found that out, I was hoping Upshaw, Curry or Branch fell to us. I would prefer that over one of the receivers, but I can't argue if Hill, Jeffrey or Randle is there considering their talent. Especially Randle, since I would love to have an LSU boy on the team...and lord knows he's used to playing with some sh*tty QBs.

The top receivers likely to go in round 2 are Jeffrey's, Randle, Hill, and Sanu. Who would you guys take? I'd be fine with any of those listed, but would prefer Randle. He has some Hakeem Nicks to him.

I prefer Randle, but that's mostly because I've seen every game he's played in. He was one of the most highly recruited prospects coming out of HS and has put up some decent numbers playing with some of the absolute worst quarterback play that I have ever seen. Hill is just an absolute freak and although I've only seen him a little, he would be a great addition value wise.

If the Michael Floyd reports were true, it would make sense they may go in this direction. If they wait on a receiver, they will have a chance at other big guys later. I happen to like Sanu and Randle and hope one would be there when we pick at 16 tonight.

I've had my heart set on an OLB for a while now, but I think it's just safe to say that our FO doesn't value that position like we do or they see it in a different mold. I was for sure Coples was going to be brought in for that role, but I was wrong. When I found that out, I was hoping Upshaw, Curry or Branch fell to us. I would prefer that over one of the receivers, but I can't argue if Hill, Jeffrey or Randle is there considering their talent. Especially Randle, since I would love to have an LSU boy on the team...and lord knows he's used to playing with some sh*tty QBs.

Coples will spend time at OLB. Book it. And see my post above. They should still be a in good position for an OLB prospect who I like a lot more than WR. I'm pretty confident Hill is going to be gone within the first 5 picks, STL or CLEV.

In fact, I see Randle, Hill and Jeffrey all being selected before the Jets.

Hill is best probaly right now out there to pick or maybe Sanu if you want a multi dimesional guy that might play several positions and has impeccable character trait to match against Holmes!.

Here are the list of OLB/WR's who have visited. We know the Jets take players from their visits. I'm sorry, the OLB group is 10x more attractive than the WR group. Plus, a couple of those WR's can be had beyond the 2nd round.

3-4 OLBs and other linebackers

Melvin Ingram – OLB – South Carolina

Quinton Coples – DE/OLB – North Carolina

Bruce Irvin – OLB – West Virginia

Demario Davis – OLB – Arkansas State

Ronnell Lewis – OLB – Oklahoma

Vinny Curry – OLB – Marshall

Justin Francis – OLB – Rutgers (local)

Whitney Mercilus – OLB – Illinois

Julian Stanford – OLB – Wagner College (local)

Chandler Jones – OLB – Syracuse (local)

Tahir Whitehead – OLB – Temple (local)

Cameron Collins – LB – Oregon State

Zach Brown – LB – North Carolina

Jake Bequette – OLB – Arkansas

Wideouts

Stephen Hill – WR – Georgia Tech

Joe Adams – WR – Arkansas

Kendall Wright – WR – Baylor

Alshon Jeffery – WR – South Carolina

Michael Floyd – WR – Notre Dame

Rueben Randle – WR – LSU

Chris Givens – WR – Wake Forest

Mohamed Sanu – WR – Rutgers (local)

Jeremy Ebert – WR – Northwestern

Tony Logan – WR – Maryland (local)

Aren't all those OLBs DE converts?

Like I just said in the another thread, I think all things being equal, they'll take the guy who doesn't have to make a position change in the pros. So while I don't generally give a lot of credence to these reports, I think it makes sense that they'd be targeting a WR.

Keep in mind, too, that Rex and Tanny's future remains tied to the fortunes of Mark Sanchez.

Aren't all those OLBs DE converts?

Like I just said in the another thread, I think all things being equal, they'll take the guy who doesn't have to make a position change in the pros. So while I don't generally give a lot of credence to these reports, I think it makes sense that they'd be targeting a WR.

Keep in mind, too, that Rex and Tanny's future remains tied to the fortunes of Mark Sanchez.

What OLB in the NFL isnt a DE convert?

I dont see any of those WR's impacting Sanchez more than the moves the team has made in in the past in trying to build talent around him. Also, I dont see any of those guys being available. Maybe Sanu...but I dont like him better than any of those OLB prospects. I'm pretty sure Hill, Jeffrey and Randle will be gone which for me means wait on WR.

I have to believe that the Jets will see how it unfolds. I guess there will be plenty more trades at the top of the second round since some of these guys were not expected to still be available. I wouldn't rule out another DB or OL, though I agree they really should take a linebacker or WR.

More guys:

Cordy Glenn Guard 6’5½” 348 lbs Georgia

Peter Konz Center 6’5″ 313 lbs. Wisconsin

Bobbie Massie Tackle 6’6″ 310 lbs. Mississippi

Amini Silatolu Guard 6’3½” 320 lbs. Midwestern State

Jonathan Martin Tackle 6’5½” 297 lbs. Stanford

Casey Hayward Cornerback 5’11½” 185 lbs. Vanderbilt

Janoris Jenkins Cornerback 5’10″ 183 lbs. North Alabama

What OLB in the NFL isnt a DE convert?

I dont see any of those WR's impacting Sanchez more than the moves the team has made in in the past in trying to build talent around him. Also, I dont see any of those guys being available. Maybe Sanu...but I dont like him better than any of those OLB prospects. I'm pretty sure Hill, Jeffrey and Randle will be gone which for me means wait on WR.

I'm all about the BAP, and I'm hoping the Jets are, too. I'm encouraged by last night's pick. If all of those WR's are off the board, then maybe one of those DE/OLBs is the choice. But I think that player would have to be rated well above not only any WR, but maybe RB and OT as well because 1.) they've already bolstered the pass rush, and 2.) there's just more of a risk with these converts than there is with a guy playing the same position in the pros.

I'm all about the BAP, and I'm hoping the Jets are, too. I'm encouraged by last night's pick. If all of those WR's are off the board, then maybe one of those DE/OLBs is the choice. But I think that player would have to be rated well above not only any WR, but maybe RB and OT as well because 1.) they've already bolstered the pass rush, and 2.) there's just more of a risk with these converts than there is with a guy playing the same position in the pros.

Yeah but of those WR's, only Sanu and Jeffrey actually got the ball thrown to him. And I think if watching the Giants has shown us anything, you can never have enough pass rushers. Jeffrey's fatness makes me nervous. And Sanu was kind of a one year wonder.

Just dont like any of those guys, I'd rather go pass rusher again.

Looking at the picks above us, I don't see how we target a WR unless we move up. With the Browns, Rams and Panthers all picking ahead of us, I'd be shocked if Hill, Randle and Jeffrey are still there. That would leave us with Sanu and Toon, neither of which I really feel are any better than Upshaw, Branch or Curry if available.

Yeah but of those WR's, only Sanu and Jeffrey actually got the ball thrown to him. And I think if watching the Giants has shown us anything, you can never have enough pass rushers. Jeffrey's fatness makes me nervous. And Sanu was kind of a one year wonder.

Just dont like any of those guys, I'd rather go pass rusher again.

I'm completely with you. Wide receivers always take a bit longer to contribute and it's pretty clear that our OLB core is going to take a huge hit in the next year or so with Thomas and Pace most likely being off the team. I have zero problem going DE and OLB with our first two picks and would love the upshaw, branch or curry pick. I wouldn't be upset if we walked away with Hill, Randle or Jeffrey, I just would prefer the aforementioned three.

I'm completely with you. Wide receivers always take a bit longer to contribute and it's pretty clear that our OLB core is going to take a huge hit in the next year or so with Thomas and Pace most likely being off the team. I have zero problem going DE and OLB with our first two picks and would love the upshaw, branch or curry pick. I wouldn't be upset if we walked away with Hill, Randle or Jeffrey, I just would prefer the aforementioned three.

I hear you guys, but overall the offense is much needier than the defense, and I think the Jets will be looking hard at not just WRs, but RBs and OL, too. An offense that can stay on the field for more than three plays at a time would help the defense as much as another pass rusher.

Yep...but like you said, with the teams who select in front of the Jets, many of them who traded down to select in that spot, I suspect a run of WR's. Namely, Hill, Jeffrey, Randle and even possibly Sanu. And any WR not of those names, is a major reach in the 2nd.

Plus, I really like a bunch of prospects at WR who can be had late:

Juron Criner

Brian Quick

Marvin Jones

Marcus McNutt

Nick Toon

Tommy Streeter

All big and fast and can stretch the field and be had in the 3rd to 5th rounds. IMO

Coples will spend time at OLB. Book it. And see my post above. They should still be a in good position for an OLB prospect who I like a lot more than WR. I'm pretty confident Hill is going to be gone within the first 5 picks, STL or CLEV.

In fact, I see Randle, Hill and Jeffrey all being selected before the Jets.

On the jets website he is already listed as a LB

I hear you guys, but overall the offense is much needier than the defense, and I think the Jets will be looking hard at not just WRs, but RBs and OL, too. An offense that can stay on the field for more than three plays at a time would help the defense as much as another pass rusher.

My ideal picks would be trading up for Cordy Glenn or hoping Mike Adams falls as they'd be ideal RTs, but I just don't see that as an option considering St. Louis is picking at 2.1 and will probably go with Glenn and the Bills and Dolphins pick right before us who will nab Massie and Adams. I mean it's all very fluid and anyone can drop, but I think my point was Upshaw probably has better value compared to any of the receivers and I like going with BPA so we don't reach.

I guess the best question would be, who's highest on their board; if Glenn, Adams, Massie, Upshaw, Branch, Curry, Randle, Hill and Jeffrey are all on the board, who do they take? If they take whomever is highest on their board, I guess I'm not particularly worried about what position. Although I definitely agree that an offense that can sustain drives consistently would be a hell of a boost to our defense.

Time to move up for Glenn. He fills a major need and his versatility makes him a great long term acquisition. He could replace Hunter and could be bumped inside if need be. I did not like him at 16 but Rd 2 is a different deal.

I'm just so torn with this second round as there are a solid half dozen picks that I truly want. Glenn, Adams, Upshaw, Branch, Randle and Hill are all guys that would be excellent value in the middle of the second. Part of me feels that a slighted Upshaw is going to play with such a chip on his shoulder that he will make everyone regret passing on him in the bottom of the second. I just think he's a guy who can play OLB and kick inside on downs when Maybin comes on and Scott goes off. I think he offers a lot of versatility, but I also agree that our offense needs a lot of help. Gahh I'm more nervous about this second round than the first.

I'm just so torn with this second round as there are a solid half dozen picks that I truly want. Glenn, Adams, Upshaw, Branch, Randle and Hill are all guys that would be excellent value in the middle of the second. Part of me feels that a slighted Upshaw is going to play with such a chip on his shoulder that he will make everyone regret passing on him in the bottom of the second. I just think he's a guy who can play OLB and kick inside on downs when Maybin comes on and Scott goes off. I think he offers a lot of versatility, but I also agree that our offense needs a lot of help. Gahh I'm more nervous about this second round than the first.

Would you burn meaningful 2013 picks to move up for both Glenn & Upshaw?

Would you burn meaningful 2013 picks to move up for both Glenn & Upshaw?

I would use later round picks this year to move up and grab one of them, but I don't like the idea of using future picks as we don't really know who's going to standout next year on our team and in college football, so there's too many variables there for me. If i had to choose between the two of them I would say that Glenn fits a bigger need and is probably the superior prospect comparably, but not by too much. I just think Upshaw is a hell of a football player and a perfect second round pick. The kid can play any of our backer positions and would play them well, i just think that gives us great flexibility. However, having missed on Hightower, I see no way that Baltimore passes him up, unless they are that fearful of Birk's age and go Konz.

The Jets could draft Lawrence Taylor and still

be dead in the water if they don't help their QBs out with a decent target.

Archived