Cosell: Shonn Greene is a "One Speed Runner"

flgreen

Cosell: Shonn Greene is a “one-speed runner”

Posted by Evan Silva on July 2, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT

shonn-greene-pic.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

Jets running back Shonn Greene burst onto the NFL scene during the playoffs following the 2009 regular season. In three postseason appearances that January, Greene rushed 54 times for 304 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 5.6 yards per carry.

Greene looked like an explosive tackle breaker during his rookie year, but he hasn’t seemed the same since. He played behind an aging LaDainian Tomlinson in 2010, and turned in a mediocre 2011 season, his first year as the Jets’ starter.

Greg Cosell of NFL Films, who studies the game tape, believes limited talent has contributed to Greene’s failure to develop into a dynamic NFL back.

I think he’s a little bit of a one-speed runner,” Cosell said, “and I think that’s caught up to him a little bit. I think that he’s a strong kid. I think he can run downhill. I think he can move the pile because he’s got natural strength. But I don’t think there’s much burst to him. I think he’s pretty much of a one-speed runner. And I think those guys eventually struggle.

“He can gain yards, there’s no question. But I don’t think he gives you much more than what’s there. And I think it’s tough for those kinds of backs to truly be foundation backs.”

Cosell explained that Greene lacks an ability to create yardage on his own.

“There’s no question that there’s no creativity to his running,” said Cosell. “And when I say creativity, you don’t have to be incredibly elusive. … He’s not a guy who’s really going to make people miss. I think there’s no way you can be an elite back or a top-level back if you can’t make unblocked defenders miss.

“Because in the run game, there’s always going to be a defender that can’t be blocked. That’s what teams do, defensively. You must be able to make unblocked defenders miss. He’s not gonna do that.”

4 years into his pro career not only do we know this already, but we know how little it actually matters. An improved OL and Greene will have another solid season. He's not particularly good, but in today's NFL a standout RB is a luxury for an offense rather than a must. I'd prefer a standout QB. Als

I don't even get how Greene not being a star is some kind of shock...He was older than most college drafted RBs (or players in general), he only went in the 3rd round, and he only had one standout season in college for a program known for it's OLs.

Starter, shmarter.... Greene will finish the season with less than half the team's rushing attempts in 2012.

Really looking forward to seeing the other three RBs in the preseason this year. If any of them demonstrate the ability to create, they should be given a chance come the regular season. McKnight's put on weight in hopes of taking LT's role, and a couple years ago that role was that of starter. I think he'll be given every chance to expand his role. Powell has a lot to prove, too. He was hurt by the lack of an offseason last year.

And Tebow will get more carries than Brad Smith ever did here.

Starter, shmarter.... Greene will finish the season with less than half the team's rushing attempts in 2012.

Really looking forward to seeing the other three RBs in the preseason this year. If any of them demonstrate the ability to create, they should be given a chance come the regular season. McKnight's put on weight in hopes of taking LT's role, and a couple years ago that role was that of starter. I think he'll be given every chance to expand his role. Powell has a lot to prove, too. He was hurt by the lack of an offseason last year.

McKnight's the guy they are praying will be able to be the versatile back. i don't think anyone else has the total talent to be an outstanding player. Not sure if McKnight's got the heart, or the skill. This will be his make or break year.

I disagree with this halfway. I agree with the fact that Greene is a one speed runner and he doesnt seem to have that 2nd gear. He's not going to break one for 50 or 60 yards....probably ever. He does seem to have some durability issues though he did play all 16 games last year.

What I disagree with is the statement of players like him "struggling". Greene avg. 4.2 yards a carry last year behind an absolutely terrible Oline and he did that without 70 yard runs to help out the average. Yes, Greene should break tackles, but its hard to do that when you cant get going because the defense is already in the backfield. Let this guy hit a hole thats actually created by the Oline for once before criticizing him. When holes were being created for him (back in his rookie season) he was breaking tackles because the guy that was trying to make the tackle was a safety with Greene at his full "one speed" instead of an o-linemen a yard in the backfield before Greene could even make a football move. It also has to do with playcalls as well. Schotty's playcalling was predictable and there was nothing to the running game scheme overall that allowed for such a play to create an imbalance or mismatch on the defensive side that the runner could take advantage of.

My only concern with Greene is his catching ability and TD's. He needs to get about 8-10 TD's a season, especially if we're considered a "ground and pound" team. He only has 10 for his career. We need the running game to put points on the board and control the clock. This article was a reach.

I disagree. He's got another gear. Its not significant but he certainly has another gear. He runs differently when he's in open space than he does when he's in traffic.

What I find hilarious about this whole stink with Greene is that nobody is even paying attention to details. He carried the ball nearly 70 more times this season, his YPC went up, he tripled his TD's, he doubled his receptions, he broke 1,000 yards, and his long was 10 more yards than 2010 all behind a significantly weaker OL than the years before. This nit picking because he's not an elite back is a little over the top. Nobody expects him to be, this isnt some shocking revelation. He's a solid back. Thats it thats all.

At the overall body of work, last year didnt look terrible...but go back, and look game by game...especially at the beginning of the year, he was awful.

I'm not a McKnight guy at all but he's definitely a more instinctive runner.

I don't even get how Greene not being a star is some kind of shock...He was older than most college drafted RBs (or players in general), he only went in the 3rd round, and he only had one standout season in college for a program known for it's OLs.

Its a combination of: 1) He's been the starter throughout his career, 2) he's not even being labeled an above average back, let alone star, and 3) How he performed his rookie year (surprisingly well, particularly in the postseason).

Its a combination of: a) He's been the starter throughout his career, B) he's not even being labeled an above average back, let alone starter, and c) How he performed his rookie year (surprisingly well, particularly in the postseason).

Keep in mind, the 2009 post season he had fresh legs and an offensive line that was dominant. He was running down hill through the obvious hole. And then got hurt.

This is his contract year right?

If so he will his goal will be to run that one speed right to the bank.

It's also the reason the Jets might be inclined to give a 6th round pick more of a chance than they ordinarily would. If Greene isn't playing to a level where the Jets want to resign him, they're going to want to look at all the other backs on the roster before next year's draft.

I disagree. He's got another gear. Its not significant but he certainly has another gear. He runs differently when he's in open space than he does when he's in traffic.

What I find hilarious about this whole stink with Greene is that nobody is even paying attention to details. He carried the ball nearly 70 more times this season, his YPC went up, he tripled his TD's, he doubled his receptions, he broke 1,000 yards, and his long was 10 more yards than 2010 all behind a significantly weaker OL than the years before. This nit picking because he's not an elite back is a little over the top. Nobody expects him to be, this isnt some shocking revelation. He's a solid back. Thats it thats all.

What the hell is wrong with you JiF. Greene is a Jet, this is a Jets' board, he's gotta suck

At the overall body of work, last year didnt look terrible...but go back, and look game by game...especially at the beginning of the year, he was awful.

I dont see how you could possibly think thats the case. He was awful last year as a change of pace guy when got his shots.

I dont see how you could possibly think thats the case. He was awful last year as a change of pace guy when got his shots.

He did suck, but you can tell the instincts are slightly better. He'll at least provide some upside with cutbacks and creating on his own when the obvious hole isnt there.

I think the potential to be better than Greene is there.

I've been supportive of McKnight, but disappointed with his ability to run in space. He gives the team legitimate breakaway speed, and that alone should get him on the field more, but he shows very little in the wiggle or elusiveness departments.

I'd love to see Powell become the feel good story of the summer.

I've been supportive of McKnight, but disappointed with his ability to run in space. He gives the team legitimate breakaway speed, and that alone should get him on the field more, but he shows very little in the wiggle or elusiveness departments.

I'd love to see Powell become the feel good story of the summer.

Yeah, same thing at USC. He was supposed to be better than Bush, but he never really showed that explosion everyone thought he had.

Tomlinson looked quicker than he did.

He did suck, but you can tell the instincts are slightly better. He'll at least provide some upside with cutbacks and creating on his own when the obvious hole isnt there.

I think the potential to be better than Greene is there.

Man, I just disagree. He looks like a stiff out there. He was pulling the Thomas Jones sh*t of just running into the OL's ass and falling over. Dude average 3.1 ypc as a change of pace guy and thats only because he had one game where he averaged almost 6ypc on 4 carries. Thats not a good sign that he's got instincts at all. Plus, he's a liability with the Football in his hand.

I'm hoping he comes around, but I'm not holding my breath.

This is his contract year right?

If so he will his goal will be to run that one speed right to the bank.

That it is. Which is exactly why I think the Jets are going to spend the season running his ass straight into the ground while he's spelled by McKnight (and Powell), as they prepare Ganaway to take over Greene's power role starting next year.

Man, I just disagree. He looks like a stiff out there. He was pulling the Thomas Jones sh*t of just running into the OL's ass and falling over. Dude average 3.1 ypc as a change of pace guy and thats only because he had one game where he averaged almost 6ypc on 4 carries. Thats not a good sign that he's got instincts at all. Plus, he's a liability with the Football in his hand.

I'm hoping he comes around, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm inclined to agree. I haven't given up on the guy yet, and he does have some skills. He's bulked up a bit so we'll have to see if that helps as far as bouncing off the line of scrimmage goes.

I think Greene is a decent back, but his real problem is with his running style he is banged up all the time. Tough being a power runner with busted up ribs.

Someone of the other RB's needs to step up and take some of the load off of Greene. I'm hoping it's McKnight, but I also am not holding my breath

these guys, cosell and silva are supposed to be fantasy football reporters. At least Silva is... Cosell is more of a scout type. But if they project Greene to get more than 250 touches, and still are down on him, they aren't doing their jobs. There's an element of anti-Jets bias out there. If this player was on the patriots, they'd be going crazy about his potential. the bottom line is he's an undervalued commodity in fantasy circles. He's a 4th round pick going in round 7 or 8 (in leagues that aren't dominated by Jets fans). Yes he has flaws... besides his running style, he often gets TD vultured by the QB (adding Tebow will only increase this) and no he's certainly not in the Ray rice/Arian Foster/Leshon Mccoy tier of backs. (Or even close to that). But fantasy sports are about opportunity, Greene is like a mediocre power forward who gets 40 minutes every night. He's going to produce stats. It's not going to be pretty and it's not going to be 80 yard breakaways but they have him ranked as the 26th RB and he's going to produce like 10 slots higher if he stays healthy. I saw a thread comparing Shonn Greene to Rudi Johnson, that's a good comparison I believe. He's not flashy but they are gonna ride him like a rented mule.

oh and for people saying Mcknight and powell and ganaway are legit competition, keep dreaming. that's a lineup of warm bodies... not true competition. If they brought in a real player like cedric benson that's what competition looks like. someone who has done it before is competition. Someone who is picked before the saturday of the draft is competition. These guys are basically special teamers.

That it is. Which is exactly why I think the Jets are going to spend the season running his ass straight into the ground while he's spelled by McKnight (and Powell), as they prepare Ganaway to take over Greene's power role starting next year.

Think your right.

Really not putting to much faith in Powell at this point, but I think we are going to see Ganaway in the 2nd half in the role Greene played 2 years ago. Just to see if he can do it.

these guys, cosell and silva are supposed to be fantasy football reporters. At least Silva is... Cosell is more of a scout type. But if they project Greene to get more than 250 touches, and still are down on him, they aren't doing their jobs. There's an element of anti-Jets bias out there. If this player was on the patriots, they'd be going crazy about his potential. the bottom line is he's an undervalued commodity in fantasy circles. He's a 4th round pick going in round 7 or 8 (in leagues that aren't dominated by Jets fans). Yes he has flaws... besides his running style, he often gets TD vultured by the QB (adding Tebow will only increase this) and no he's certainly not in the Ray rice/Arian Foster/Leshon Mccoy tier of backs. (Or even close to that). But fantasy sports are about opportunity, Greene is like a mediocre power forward who gets 40 minutes every night. He's going to produce stats. It's not going to be pretty and it's not going to be 80 yard breakaways but they have him ranked as the 26th RB and he's going to produce like 10 slots higher if he stays healthy. I saw a thread comparing Shonn Greene to Rudi Johnson, that's a good comparison I believe. He's not flashy but they are gonna ride him like a rented mule.

oh and for people saying Mcknight and powell and ganaway are legit competition, keep dreaming. that's a lineup of warm bodies... not true competition. If they brought in a real player like cedric benson that's what competition looks like. someone who has done it before is competition. Someone who is picked before the saturday of the draft is competition. These guys are basically special teamers.

What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?

because fantasy sports is all about opportunity. Any player getting 300 touches is a possible fantasy stud. I don't care if he's got 1 speed and isn't Adrian peterson. If you hand any running back the ball as much as Greene is gonna get it this year, they will produce. These media guys are human just like the rest of us, if it's a team they love they will have great love for their players, if it's a team they hate they will discount them. Alot of people nationally hate the Jets. If Stevan Ridley was going to get 300 touches that's all we'd be hearing about. We can say Ridley is more talented than Greene, (and maybe that's true) but the NFL isn't always about talent, it's often about what players the coaching staff want to highlight. Fairly safe bet that Greene heavily factors into Sparano and Rex's 2012 plans.

Good point....

Keep in mind, the 2009 post season he had fresh legs and an offensive line that was dominant. He was running down hill through the obvious hole. And then got hurt.

Exactly.

He was never going to be a star, but he fills his role when some stupid injury doesn't take him out.

McKnight's the guy they are praying will be able to be the versatile back. i don't think anyone else has the total talent to be an outstanding player. Not sure if McKnight's got the heart, or the skill. This will be his make or break year.

if McKnight is the guy we are hoping for I will tell you now that you can forget it. What you should be praying for is that Greene stays healthy and Powell and Ganaway can do something.

Exactly.

He was never going to be a star, but he fills his role when some stupid injury doesn't take him out.

The problem is that he's being asked to be the starter now, in a run-first offense no less, not a change-of-pace RB.

I disagree with this halfway. I agree with the fact that Greene is a one speed runner and he doesnt seem to have that 2nd gear. He's not going to break one for 50 or 60 yards....probably ever. He does seem to have some durability issues though he did play all 16 games last year.

What I disagree with is the statement of players like him "struggling". Greene avg. 4.2 yards a carry last year behind an absolutely terrible Oline and he did that without 70 yard runs to help out the average. Yes, Greene should break tackles, but its hard to do that when you cant get going because the defense is already in the backfield. Let this guy hit a hole thats actually created by the Oline for once before criticizing him. When holes were being created for him (back in his rookie season) he was breaking tackles because the guy that was trying to make the tackle was a safety with Greene at his full "one speed" instead of an o-linemen a yard in the backfield before Greene could even make a football move. It also has to do with playcalls as well. Schotty's playcalling was predictable and there was nothing to the running game scheme overall that allowed for such a play to create an imbalance or mismatch on the defensive side that the runner could take advantage of.

My only concern with Greene is his catching ability and TD's. He needs to get about 8-10 TD's a season, especially if we're considered a "ground and pound" team. He only has 10 for his career. We need the running game to put points on the board and control the clock. This article was a reach.

I agree with this. I am not sold on Greene as of yet, but I am going to believe that without the schotty system in place that we would have seen a different runner. I look forward to Greene running behind a properly utilized FB and a WR that actually blocks down field. It's a team effort and our o line wa banged up last season, mulligan sucked, and we had scrub primadonna's at the WR position. Add that to the fact that Schott's game plans were absurd and everyone knew when greene was getting the ball and where he was going. It was a tough go at best. He's got a clean slate IMO and I look forward to Mcnight and the other guys (tebow included) added something extra as well. I'm exited.

Archived