Bilal Powell wins 3rd down back job

slats

His ability in pass protection looks to be a big part of the reason...

Bilal Powell beats out Joe McKnight for NY Jets third-down running back job

McKnight, who is dealing with a mild hamstring pull, is still expected to play a meaningful role

BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2012

Jets running back Bilal Powell is expected to carry the load on third downs for the Jets this season.

The Tim Tebow-led Wildcat won’t be the only new aspect of the Jets’ offense this season.

The Daily News has learned that Bilal Powell has beaten out Joe McKnight for the third-down running back job.

Powell, who played sparingly (13 carries in two games) as a rookie last season, emerged as the Jets’ best option on third downs with Shonn Greene off the field during the preseason. Powell and McKnight entered training camp in an open competition for the job, but Powell distanced himself.

A few players told the News last week that they were impressed with Powell's pass protection skills. (Remember: Mark Sanchez was sacked 39 times in 2011).

Powell finished the preseason with 92 yards on 26 carries and three catches for 17 yards. A few offensive players told the News last week that Powell was the best player flying under the radar in camp.

McKnight, who is dealing with a hamstring pull, is still expected to play a meaningful role on offense. His status for the season opener against the Bills on Sunday is unknown at this point.

I wonder how much of this has to do with McKnight's injury. Powell has looked pretty good. He is blocking, but seemed to muff a few assignments. It's always tough to tell who has the actual fault in those situations though. Powell's running has been night and day better than last year and it looks like Slats was right about him needing a camp. Strange thing is that I would have expected them to throw more to Powell and McKnight (and Ganaway for that matter), but they didn't do too much of that. 3 catches isn't much for a 3rd down back through 4 games, but hopefully that is something else that has been "saved".

I wonder how much of this has to do with McKnight's injury. Powell has looked pretty good. He is blocking, but seemed to muff a few assignments. It's always tough to tell who has the actual fault in those situations though. Powell's running has been night and day better than last year and it looks like Slats was right about him needing a camp. Strange thing is that I would have expected them to throw more to Powell and McKnight (and Ganaway for that matter), but they didn't do too much of that. 3 catches isn't much for a 3rd down back through 4 games, but hopefully that is something else that has been "saved".

Powell got the nod in the first preseason game, so I suspect he was ahead all the way.

I agree that I'd like to see more passes to the backs, but I think what we saw in the preseason from Sparano was beyond vanilla. Who knows if he's actually hiding something good, but he was definitely hiding a lot.

McKnight, who is dealing with a mild hamstring pull, is still expected to play a meaningful role

Jets running back Bilal Powell is expected to carry the load on third downs for the Jets this season.

The Tim Tebow-led Wildcat won’t be the only new aspect of the Jets’ offense this season.

The Daily News has learned that Bilal Powell has beaten out Joe McKnight for the third-down running back job.

Powell, who played sparingly (13 carries in two games) as a rookie last season, emerged as the Jets’ best option on third downs with Shonn Greene off the field during the preseason. Powell and McKnight entered training camp in an open competition for the job, but Powell distanced himself.

A few players told the News last week that they were impressed with Powell's pass protection skills. (Remember: Mark Sanchez was sacked 39 times in 2011).

Powell finished the preseason with 92 yards on 26 carries and three catches for 17 yards. A few offensive players told the News last week that Powell was the best player flying under the radar in camp.

McKnight, who is dealing with a hamstring pull, is still expected to play a meaningful role on offense. His status for the season opener against the Bills on Sunday is unknown at this point.

This is good news. You and I have been holding out hope that this guy pans out. Now I'm hoping he takes the job from Greene!

He definitely had pop and some burst in college. I was wondering where it went last year. Still holding out hope on the kid. Good news as far as I'm concerned. McKnight as talented as he is, I'd put into the Cro category as scary to watch if a game is on the line. He's a hit or miss player I'd rather not depend upon to pick up a block or make a catch on a big 3rd down.

I've watched him before but I just can't get a good read on him. What kind of RB is he? What are his strengths/weaknesses supposed to be? I get the sense that he may be closer in style to Greene than McKnight?

He's more versatile and shifty than Greene. In college, he was an every down back, one man wrecking crew. Louisville's offense was horrible, no pass threat, and he averaged like 6 ypc. Charlie Casserly had him being the steal of the draft. I was pretty high on him too. Really thought he'd adjust well. Maybe it just took a year with a full offseason and less threats ahead of him.

He definitely had pop and some burst in college. I was wondering where it went last year. Still holding out hope on the kid. Good news as far as I'm concerned. McKnight as talented as he is, I'd put into the Cro category as scary to watch if a game is on the line. He's a hit or miss player I'd rather not depend upon to pick up a block or make a catch on a big 3rd down.

IIRC Powell fumbled last year and I honestly believe that he spent most of the rest of the year thinking about protecting the ball and thinking, rather than running. Remember he got some carries, but they were while Jets record was still in the 8-5 range and they may been on the red light-green light system.

Powell has a huge opportunity this season.

In my opinion, the Jets will be cutting ties with the average at best Shonn Greene after this season. If Powell plays well this year, he very well could start to take over as starter at some point during the season. If he plays great, he could put himself into a position of being the Jets primary running back moving forward.

Powell has a huge opportunity this season.

In my opinion, the Jets will be cutting ties with the average at best Shonn Greene after this season. If Powell plays well this year, he very well could start to take over as starter at some point during the season. If he plays great, he could put himself into a position of being the Jets primary running back moving forward.

Been a while, good hearing from you. Agreed.

I like what I have seen from Powell so far in 2012, but he hasn't done much to make me confident he will take over for Greene yet. He runs with some power, but he is considerably smaller. I think Greene has 20 pounds on him and I don't see him as being a true power back. He is big enough to be effective though and isn't a wussy slasher like McKnight. JiF is right about him being a one man wrecking crew at Louisville, but it was only for one year. He didn't do much before 2010.

I like what I have seen from Powell so far in 2012, but he hasn't done much to make me confident he will take over for Greene yet. He runs with some power, but he is considerably smaller. I think Greene has 20 pounds on him and I don't see him as being a true power back. He is big enough to be effective though and isn't a wussy slasher like McKnight. JiF is right about him being a one man wrecking crew at Louisville, but it was only for one year. He didn't do much before 2010.

That's kinda what you want at RB, though, no? You want to see the ability, but you don't want all the wear & tear that generally comes with the position.

That's kinda what you want at RB, though, no? You want to see the ability, but you don't want all the wear & tear that generally comes with the position.

If there is any one thing I think is overrated around here it's "wear and tear" on RBs. We are going to ride them until they drop and get another. He will be here three or four years like Greene, so I don't give a flaming **** (why the **** doesn't the filter catch ****? I hate putting my own asterisks in!)if they ran him 556 times a season in college. He'll be gone before he wears out anyway. Wear and tear matters at contract time, not game time. Having done nothing except one year of college just means he has to do a little more before I will believe in him as a viable back.

Been a while, good hearing from you. Agreed.

Thanks!

Shonn Greene is a known entity. Overall he is average at best, and he does not excel in any single category. He's prone to going down on first contact, and leaves yards out on the field all the time.

In my opinion, running backs are a dime a dozen, and unless you have one of the top tier elite rushers, they are all pretty much interchangeable. So much of their success has to do with the scheme and the blocking up front. It's time to give Powell a legitimate shot to see if he can distinguish himself.

If there is any one thing I think is overrated around here it's "wear and tear" on RBs.

How is it overrated? It's probably the biggest factor in why running backs have the shortest careers in the NFL and tend to fizzle out by age 30.

I believe Slats' point was that it's a good thing that Powell only had one year in college with a heavy workload. This minimized the wear and tear on his body prior to being drafted and may theoretically lengthen his NFL career.

EDIT: DeAngelo Williams is a good example of a player who would probably have a couple of very good years left in the tank if he didn't take such a heavy pounding in college. He's still relatively young, but he's in the twilight of his career due to the high mileage.

How is it overrated? It's probably the biggest factor in why running backs have the shortest careers in the NFL and tend to fizzle out by age 30.

I believe Slats' point was that it's a good thing that Powell only had one year in college with a heavy workload. This minimized the wear and tear on his body prior to being drafted and may theoretically lengthen his NFL career.

EDIT: DeAngelo Williams is a good example of a player who would probably have a couple of very good years left in the tank if he didn't take such a heavy pounding in college. He's still relatively young, but he's in the twilight of his career due to the high mileage.

the real question is will his NFL career even be anything above average?

There's only one way to find out. He has a tremendous opportunity this year given the current running back situation on this team.

Exactly, you never know. Last year when he did get a chance to play in the preseason our back up OL was so bad he was getting hammered behind the LOS most of the time. Hes a little more shifty than Greene but then again so is everyone :) ...the main thing is he can catch and be an all around back given the chance. The big question is if something happens to Greene can Powell handle the load because I can not stand the possibility of Joe McKnight getting multiple touches

Exactly because of that. It's overrated and you're overrating it. We don't care about the length of his career until he proves he deserves a career. The guy hasn't proven anything yet. If he'd put in 2 or 3 decent years in college I'd be more confident. No matter how hard they rode him at Louisville he'd be good for 3 years in the NFL. We'll worry about his "wear and tear" when it's time to re-sign him. Until then I'd like to know we could get some production.

So, McKnight the more dangerous playmaker comes off the field because Powell is better in pass protection and is needed to protect Sanchez, because the O-line cannot. Am I missing anything?

Archived