Blame game: Laron Landry and Jeremy Kerley

bitonti

1) Landry had 2 personal fouls, 1 was a late hit 2 was a Horse collar and both happened at terrible times. the first penalty was 2nd and 6, they get 19 yards to sanders and tack on another 15 to give them the ball at the Jets 14. Heath Miller scores TD not too long after. the 2nd penalty turns an 11 yard gain into a 26 yard gain and the wallace TD happened not too long after. Bad bad penalties.

2) Kerley's muffed punt was an absolute dagger to the heart. It actually might have been the play of the game, that's how important it was. swung 60 yards of field position. the Jets forced the Steelers to punt on their own 13, and they took over at the Jets 42 yard line. The Jets forced the punt but lost the field position battle. Didn't get out of their own half again until garbage time (after the Steelers got to 27 points). Huge just huge.

I have already started a thread as to why this wasn't a very winnable game. Well if you muff a punt it's not winnable period. Special teams wasn't so special.

I am not going to sit here and say these two guys shoulder all the blame. but I am looking at these threads (holmes, Sanchez, greene, tebow, rex) and I feel like we are missing 2 key mistakes that contributed greatly to the loss.

To win this game (without Revis) the Jets had to play almost perfectly. These mistakes killed their chances. If you want to blame the QB or the Coach or your Deity of choice that's fine. but the game is won and lost by players and these two players didn't bring their best on Sunday.

Pretty much the only people on this team who don't deserve a major share of the blame are the offensive and defensive lines (not that either unit was great, but neither were a particular problem), and McIntyre. Everyone else who stepped on the field had at least a few really awful moments. Sanchez, the WRs, TEs, RBs, LBs, DBs and even the special teams all took turns. It was just an all-around awful game from the Jets, and they get seriously outplayed. There's not much more to say than that.

1) Landry had 2 personal fouls, 1 was a late hit 2 was a Horse collar and both happened at terrible times. the first penalty was 2nd and 6, they get 19 yards to sanders and tack on another 15 to give them the ball at the Jets 14. Heath Miller scores TD not too long after. the 2nd penalty turns an 11 yard gain into a 26 yard gain and the wallace TD happened not too long after. Bad bad penalties.

I thought both of these passes were completed for first downs and then the 15 yards were added on top of the completion(the second foul was half the distance). You make it sound like he extended the series like the penalty on Y.Bell where ben eludes 5 sacks(that made me chuckle) and completes it short of a first down only to get a first down on the interference call.

Personally, I dont mind him getting fouled for hard hits, but he has to commit them early and he has to make them count. A glancing blow to a guy already out of bounds is nothing compare to decleting someone coming over the middle or blindsiding a QB hanging in the pocket.

I could be wrong about the penalties you mentioned but I think I am right.

Landy failed to bring Big Ben down. But everyone fails to bring Big Ben down. I am happy the Jets blitzes were giving them clear shots, that will come in handy over just about every other QB. The personal fouls were bad. The horsecollar there were 3 other guys there ready to make the tackle. And he was way out of bounds on the late hit.

That said, I can't fault him for being too physical because I praise him for the exact same thing. Over the long haul this will be a good thing, I am tired of seeing teams not fear getting smacked against the Jets.

Kerley? Not sure what to even say. I have never seen a guy return a punt for a TD one week and then have a punt hit him in the head the next week. That is beyond odd.

Pretty much the only people on this team who don't deserve a major share of the blame are the offensive and defensive lines (not that either unit was great, but neither were a particular problem), and McIntyre. Everyone else who stepped on the field had at least a few really awful moments. Sanchez, the WRs, TEs, RBs, LBs, DBs and even the special teams all took turns. It was just an all-around awful game from the Jets, and they get seriously outplayed. There's not much more to say than that.

mcintyre was like the rest of the team.. did some things well and other times looked like a deer on a dark highway with my high beams in his eyes.

It was an awful game and to be a top team, we need to play like one. Hopefully they learn and grow from this.

You make it sound like he extended the series

he didn't extend the series but he turned medium gains into big gains and I don't think it's a coincidence that the defense gave up 7 each series. It's like how a holding penalty will kill an offensive drive, a defensive PF is a big penalty. and to have it happen twice. Like I said I don't expect them to win this game but if we are gonna play the blame game, let's play it.

Landy failed to bring Big Ben down. But everyone fails to bring Big Ben down. I am happy the Jets blitzes were giving them clear shots, that will come in handy over just about every other QB. The personal fouls were bad. The horsecollar there were 3 other guys there ready to make the tackle. And he was way out of bounds on the late hit.

That said, I can't fault him for being too physical because I praise him for the exact same thing. Over the long haul this will be a good thing, I am tired of seeing teams not fear getting smacked against the Jets.

Kerley? Not sure what to even say. I have never seen a guy return a punt for a TD one week and then have a punt hit him in the head the next week. That is beyond odd.

And they were doing it without Revis. I said it in a different thread...if that wasnt Big Ben, the Jets D would have looked straight dominate.

mcintyre was like the rest of the team.. did some things well and other times looked like a deer on a dark highway with my high beams in his eyes.

It was an awful game and to be a top team, we need to play like one. Hopefully they learn and grow from this.

He's the only guy on the team who, when he got to Ben, actually took Ben down. That alone puts him a few notches higher than anyone else in my book. He also had a couple of other nice plays in the backfield as well. i don't get me wrong, he certainly wasn't a world beater and it's not like I think the Jets have found their future at LB, but for a random backup that was starting due to injury that's a former CFL player, he more than held his own.

Absolutely agree with you though on your overall assessment. Just a terrible performance all around and there are a lot of lessons that need to be taken from this, and while more losses are to be expected over the course of the season, performances like this cannot be allowed.

I'm blaming Sparano. He came out with a plan, the Steelers adjusted, Sparano never did. Confounding not to have a Plan B.

Hate to agree with you, but if I was forced to play the blame game (which I find stupid) it would be Sparano. Dick LeBeau bitch slapped him yesterday. Took away the seem, blanketed the wide outs and disguised pressure...and there was nothing done to counter. A couple of screens would have been nice.

The Jets like to think of themselves as tough. But whenever they go to Pitttsburgh or Baltimore they get punched in the face. And when they go to NE to play a true wussy team, they usually do not punch them in the face, Division championship 2 years ago notwithstanding. Maybe they should learn from NE how not to get punched in the face by a tougher team. The Pats were pretty good last year at that, until they met the Giants. So the Jets really are not tough. Or at least they are not tough enough. I would like them to be but they are not.

Right. He completely lost the coverage on a back earlier in the game. He was not even in the same zip code. But he did actually tackle Ben twice.

The horse collar penalty was just a bad call. Let's not forget why the rule was instituted. Roy Williams would grab the horse collars and pull people down backwards and end up rolling up their legs on a routine basis. What Landry did on that play came no where close to that, in fact if you look at it again, his hand was only in that area momentarily and he ended up tackling him in a normal manner. It should have been a no call.

guess he knows something about corralling greased pigs,

Yes, but can he kill a wild boar with a bowling ball and butcher knives?

The horse collar penalty was just a bad call. Let's not forget why the rule was instituted. Roy Williams would grab the horse collars and pull people down backwards and end up rolling up their legs on a routine basis. What Landry did on that play came no where close to that, in fact if you look at it again, his hand was only in that area momentarily and he ended up tackling him in a normal manner. It should have been a no call.

We were talking about that in the bar. It was a horsecollar technically, but it was in no way within the spirit of why the rule was instituted. I mean, it's legal to grab a guys ankle and twist until it snaps, but that's not legal? Couldn't complain about the call, but it wasn't something where you think "Landry has gone personal foul crazy!"

2) Kerley's muffed punt was an absolute dagger to the heart. It actually might have been the play of the game, that's how important it was. swung 60 yards of field position. the Jets forced the Steelers to punt on their own 13, and they took over at the Jets 42 yard line. The Jets forced the punt but lost the field position battle. Didn't get out of their own half again until garbage time (after the Steelers got to 27 points). Huge just huge.

I have already started a thread as to why this wasn't a very winnable game. Well if you muff a punt it's not winnable period. Special teams wasn't so special.

I am not going to sit here and say these two guys shoulder all the blame. but I am looking at these threads (holmes, Sanchez, greene, tebow, rex) and I feel like we are missing 2 key mistakes that contributed greatly to the loss.

To win this game (without Revis) the Jets had to play almost perfectly. These mistakes killed their chances. If you want to blame the QB or the Coach or your Deity of choice that's fine. but the game is won and lost by players and these two players didn't bring their best on Sunday.

You can point to things like that on both sides, but nobody is talking about Pittsburgh's gaffes because they won. The difference in this game was Ben vs. Sanchez, period. After the first two drives on each side and despite Revis and Polamalu being out, both offenses stagnated. Ben made stuff happen because that's what Ben always does. Sanchez curled up and died because that's what Sanchez always does. He's fine at taking what the defense hands him on a plate, which is usually good enough against teams like Buffalo but hardly ever against teams like the Steelers. He's basically human garbage against anybody that offers up more than token resistance. Even worse, we throw Tebow in for an instant spark, get it, and have to pull him right away because we're afraid that Sanchez will get butthurt and become even more worthless. I seriously don't know how much more of this I can take.

You can point to things like that on both sides, but nobody is talking about Pittsburgh's gaffes because they won. The difference in this game was Ben vs. Sanchez, period. After the first two drives on each side and despite Revis and Polamalu being out, both offenses stagnated. Ben made stuff happen because that's what Ben always does. Sanchez curled up and died because that's what Sanchez always does. He's fine at taking what the defense hands him on a plate, which is usually good enough against teams like Buffalo but hardly ever against teams like the Steelers. He's basically human garbage against anybody that offers up more than token resistance. Even worse, we throw Tebow in for an instant spark, get it, and have to pull him right away because we're afraid that Sanchez will get butthurt and become even more worthless. I seriously don't know how much more of this I can take.

They put Sanchez back in because they ran an idiotic sweep to fat ass and he proceeds to lose 6 yards.

You can point to things like that on both sides, but nobody is talking about Pittsburgh's gaffes because they won.

I agree with that to an extent... both sides had dumb penalties (and the Steelers did have more penalties).

but Kerley's punt fumble was the only turnover by either team. Pittsburgh didn't make a gaffe as big as the Kerley fumble. I still feel like this is a highly under-reported part of that game.

If two teams face, knowing nothing about the teams, Team Road fumbles once and Team Home has no turnovers, I'd bet Team Home won that game.

I agree with that to an extent... both sides had dumb penalties (and the Steelers did have more penalties).

but Kerley's punt fumble was the only turnover by either team. Pittsburgh didn't make a gaffe as big as the Kerley fumble. I still feel like this is a highly under-reported part of that game.

If two teams face, knowing nothing about the teams, Team Road fumbles once and Team Home has no turnovers, I'd bet Team Home won that game.

One fumble doesn't even move the needle in terms of explaining a thirteen-minute time of possession differential. I can't believe people are getting on the defense today. It's totally psychotic. No defense can stop any offense when the telecast is measuring the quarterback's time between completions in hours of real time.

One fumble doesn't even move the needle in terms of explaining a thirteen-minute time of possession differential. I can't believe people are getting on the defense today. It's totally psychotic. No defense can stop any offense when the telecast is measuring the quarterback's time between completions in hours of real time.

True. But the stat was grossly inflated by the fact that we had just finished half time and it was a completion to a receiver, not a completion overall as there was a completion to a TE thrown in there. Still, I'm with ya, pretty ridiculous. I still don't understand why they went away from taking shots down field, even though that one awesome play-action to Hill was broken up, I think that kid brings it down if he gets a few more shots at it. They didn't even seem to look at him the rest of the game.

Archived