Cedric Benson -- A Non-Swing & Another Miss...

Il Mostro

Anyone besides me regretting not signing him, especially now that Greene has folded like a paper fan earlier than usual? We're going to live on McKnight and Powell when Shonne goes down for the count later on? Two games in and we still have the rib and groin injuries to go. Thanks to our idiot-savant GM.

I got roasted for suggesting we sign him and trade Greene. Benson isn't great, but he's durable and capable of yards after initial contact. Greene is not. Tebow is our best RB. Sad.

Ahead of the curve, as usual.

The gist of the roasting was the idea that Greene had trade value. Your plan was to trade him for a starting RT.

Revisionist self-congratulations, as usual.

I got roasted for suggesting we sign him and trade Greene. Benson isn't great, but he's durable and capable of yards after initial contact. Greene is not. Tebow is our best RB. Sad.

Do you really expect us to line Tebow up behind Sanchez as a RB?

The gist of the roasting was the idea that Greene had trade value. Your plan was to trade him for a starting RT.

In my defense, at that point in time we had Hunter and Howard (all we knew about him then was he was a practice squad journeyman), so the idea that we could get someone worth starting over those two guys in exchange for Greene was pretty realistic.

I never said we'd get an all-pro RT. Just a body to replace the turnstile.

So, while I appreciate the jab, you are over-selling my position from that thread.

Do you really expect us to line Tebow up behind Sanchez as a RB?

No, but in order to keep the mob calm I try not to call Tebow a QB. So, in effect he's our best option for running the ball.

Reminder: the area scout who put a first round grade on Shonn Greene was promoted this offseason to lead our scouting department. doom.

Who promoted him... Bradway?

The guy that traded a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley.

This team has been its own worst enemy throughout Bradway's entire tenure here. No matter what capacity he works for the team in.

This team's biggest problem continues to be that they can NOT draft quarterbacks or runningbacks. I get that QB is a hit/miss position, but how the **** is it possible that the only good RB we've had over the past 10 years is Curtis Martin?

Seriously. Thomas Jones is literally the next best RB we've had. Both acquired via trade.

This team has been its own worst enemy throughout Bradway's entire tenure here. No matter what capacity he works for the team in.

This team's biggest problem continues to be that they can NOT draft quarterbacks or runningbacks. I get that QB is a hit/miss position, but how the **** is it possible that the only good RB we've had over the past 10 years is Curtis Martin?

Seriously. Thomas Jones is literally the next best RB we've had. Both acquired via trade.

Leon was good. He just wasn't a starter.

In my defense, at that point in time we had Hunter and Howard (all we knew about him then was he was a practice squad journeyman), so the idea that we could get someone worth starting over those two guys in exchange for Greene was pretty realistic.

I never said we'd get an all-pro RT. Just a body to replace the turnstile.

So, while I appreciate the jab, you are over-selling my position from that thread.

No, but in order to keep the mob calm I try not to call Tebow a QB. So, in effect he's our best option for running the ball.

In effect then, we move to the read option offense full time to get him on the field...pretty sure we'd have to see a complete meltdown to get there...I'd rather remain hopeful that Mark can progress...still we need a more complementary back to Greene...hell at this point I could see us making splash for Reggie Bush for 2013.

Cedric Benson sucks. He is averaging 3.4 ypc for the Packers. A team that isn't likely to have the box stacked. He is considerably worse than Greene. Benson had one good season. It was in 2009. Sure Benson had 80 yards on 20 carries against the Bears. Yipee. Don't pat yourself too hard. He went for 18 on 9 carries against the Niners. He is durable, but is that what we need? Ryan Grant is a more attractive option IMO. At least he is good when he is healthy.

You are all nuts, we have the Best RB trio in all of football!!!!!!!!!!!! Shonne Greene is a absolute, proven, blazing fast, hole hitting, face mask busting, STUD!! Powell is the best 3rd down back in football. And Mcknight is the best wild-cat rusher in the history of the league!!!

Oh no, there I go pushing my agenda again.

The thing that's funny is the Jets seem to have their most success finding RBs when they're not really looking for them. Guys like Derrick Ward and Danny Woodhead have seemed to do just fine for themselves after the Jets let them walk, and as Sperm said, Leon was definitely a legit talent. That said, the moment they try to find a guy they actually hope to be a future starter, it all goes to sh*t.

Cedric Benson sucks. He is averaging 3.4 ypc for the Packers. A team that isn't likely to have the box stacked. He is considerably worse than Greene. Benson had one good season. It was in 2009. Sure Benson had 80 yards on 20 carries against the Bears. Yipee. Don't pat yourself too hard. He went for 18 on 9 carries against the Niners. He is durable, but is that what we need? Ryan Grant is a more attractive option IMO. At least he is good when he is healthy.

This, and no one was going to trade a starting-caliber RT for Shonn Greene, anyway.

If the Jets continue to spend 4th to 7th round picks on Skill players then you get what you pay for. JAGS. I was shocked when they went for Hill in round 2 totally shocked.

Greene was a 3rd....it was just concerning how much the Jets liked him as a prospect. He's a backup on every team in the league.

edit- maybe, maybe except Atlanta. Greene and Turner pretty much look the same right now.

Greene was a 3rd....it was just concerning how much the Jets liked him as a prospect. He's a backup on every team in the league.

Yeah I know Greene was a third in the Jets mind ....anyone elses not so sure. We traded up for him as well what did we use for that ? A 4th or a 5th ?

49ers skewed that average. He still better than Greene.

I think Shonn Greene would look better on the Packers than Benson would look on the Jets.

The Packers cant run the football because they simply gave up running it last year and you just cant turn on a switch and start running the ball. It will probably take them a few more weeks to get a running game going if at all. Also when it comes to playing San Francisco NO ONE runs the ball on that team so its a bad example to use Bensons stats in that game. San Frans numbers vs the run last year were ridiculous and I think when we play them we'll be lucky to break 150 total yards as a team unless the east coast game takes a toll on them.

The thing that's funny is the Jets seem to have their most success finding RBs when they're not really looking for them. Guys like Derrick Ward and Danny Woodhead have seemed to do just fine for themselves after the Jets let them walk, and as Sperm said, Leon was definitely a legit talent. That said, the moment they try to find a guy they actually hope to be a future starter, it all goes to sh*t.

Are you kidding me with this? Woodhead has been a scatback who has never been higher than 3rd on the depth chart. Ward did OK in spots but was never a feature back. Leon disappeared in Seattle. The Jets have never made a concerted effort to get an elite feature back because that would require drafting one in the 1st round.

Archived